ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Re: ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Anyone else's order say complete? I would assume it would go from processing to shipped, but mine change to complete today.

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

One of mine says completed

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

One Drew Remains wrote:I need to order this, I guess.
Ladies and gentlemen, may I present: The sad state of being an Alter Bridge fan.

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

AllC392Was wrote:He sounded better than Wembley but not as good as Amsterdam. Yeah.. the pronunciation during the chorus drives me nuts. Come on Myles.

^^This i can agree with

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Am I the only one thinking about possible guitar solos on Solace or Cruel Sun? ODR is lacking in guitar solos, compared to the other albums, so I'm really hoping for another ODR solo!

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

Received my shipping-notification already last night !

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:Am I the only one thinking about possible guitar solos on Solace or Cruel Sun? ODR is lacking in guitar solos, compared to the other albums, so I'm really hoping for another ODR solo!
I hadn't thought of this yet and now I'm flipping my lid.

cajmoyper
Bought The CDs

Post by cajmoyper »

Ha! Thanks Best Buy for getting me my album three days early. :)

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

cajmoyper wrote:Ha! Thanks Best Buy for getting me my album three days early. :)
!!!!! Details! How are Solace and Cruel Sun? Any guitar solos?

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

I got mine today as well. Ordered through Napalm.

Don't want to give away too much until more folks have gotten theirs but I'm obviously always thrilled when we get new AB music – especially when it's from 13 years ago. It's surreal hearing another glimpse of that moment in time that has been locked away for so long. I think the feeling hit me harder when I heard "Breathe", but it's still formidable.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

abw1987 wrote:I got mine today as well. Ordered through Napalm.

Don't want to give away too much until more folks have gotten theirs but I'm obviously always thrilled when we get new AB music – especially when it's from 13 years ago. It's surreal hearing another glimpse of that moment in time that has been locked away for so long. I think the feeling hit me harder when I heard "Breathe", but it's still formidable.
Understandable, since it was the first to be released. Would you say Breathe is better of the 3, in your opinion? I'm fiending right now. Mine says it's in Texas and is due to be delivered 9/8!

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:

Understandable, since it was the first to be released. Would you say Breathe is better of the 3, in your opinion? I'm fiending right now. Mine says it's in Texas and is due to be delivered 9/8!

Im guessing by the lack of feedback here its either good with nothing to bitch about,or nothing to write about at all

cajmoyper
Bought The CDs

Post by cajmoyper »

I didn't get to listen yesterday like I was hoping to but did today. Like dude above, said it's great hearing tracks from a moment past. Solace I think is the birth of AB's very mild prog roots. I always love a time change. And you get okie-doked into thinking something is coming but forget that Myles didn't have his guitar here yet. I don't think I've heard Never Born to Follow before today but I love it. AB is great in that you could hear anyone of their songs and, besides knowing for sure, each song has a feel that belongs to each album. NB2F to me sounds more like BB than AB3.

But to answer your question, even though it's been less than a day, I'd say Breathe is the best of the three ODR songs. Can't wait for ya'll to give a listen.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

cajmoyper wrote:I didn't get to listen yesterday like I was hoping to but did today. Like dude above, said it's great hearing tracks from a moment past. Solace I think is the birth of AB's very mild prog roots. I always love a time change. And you get okie-doked into thinking something is coming but forget that Myles didn't have his guitar here yet. I don't think I've heard Never Born to Follow before today but I love it. AB is great in that you could hear anyone of their songs and, besides knowing for sure, each song has a feel that belongs to each album. NB2F to me sounds more like BB than AB3.

But to answer your question, even though it's been less than a day, I'd say Breathe is the best of the three ODR songs. Can't wait for ya'll to give a listen.
Never Born to Follow is one of the best songs they've ever written, in my opinion, from a straight-up rock perspective. That bridge rips.

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

cajmoyper wrote:I didn't get to listen yesterday like I was hoping to but did today. Like dude above, said it's great hearing tracks from a moment past. Solace I think is the birth of AB's very mild prog roots. I always love a time change. And you get okie-doked into thinking something is coming but forget that Myles didn't have his guitar here yet. I don't think I've heard Never Born to Follow before today but I love it. AB is great in that you could hear anyone of their songs and, besides knowing for sure, each song has a feel that belongs to each album. NB2F to me sounds more like BB than AB3.

Well i guess i will be disappointed, Breathe was ok was hoping others were better

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Raven wrote:

Well i guess i will be disappointed, Breathe was ok was hoping others were better
I do like Breathe, but I see why it's a B-Side. I had higher hopes for these other 2. Hope I still like them better.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Raven wrote:
ToNsOFuN88 wrote:

Im guessing by the lack of feedback here its either good with nothing to bitch about,or nothing to write about at all
Lol – I wouldn't say that! Now that more fans have received their copies, I guess I'll share my impressions.

My initial impression of "Cruel Sun" was mediocre, though it's grown on me since then. The verses are a little weird but the chorus is catchy. The vocals are a bit rough in spots; it almost feels like the guys knew from the beginning that it wouldn't make the album, so they spent less time polishing it. But I like that about it – it's almost like a really solid demo.

"Solace" is possibly my new favorite ODR b-side, if not tied with "Breathe". The verse is beautiful, and the chorus soars with longing. Myles delivers a standout vocal performance with all the nuance some fans miss from the early days.

Like most b-sides, I can see why these were left off the main album—though I don't always agree with those choices. But they're still solid Alter Bridge songs and I'm delighted they've finally been unearthed. Mad props to Tim for making that happen.

Perhaps the best part is that both songs heavily feature Mark's clean guitar sound! Obviously that's been de-emphasized in recent years as their albums have gotten heavier, so it's great to have some more of those signature cleans in the library.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

abw1987 wrote:
Raven wrote:
ToNsOFuN88 wrote:

Lol – I wouldn't say that! Now that more fans have received their copies, I guess I'll share my impressions.

My initial impression of "Cruel Sun" was mediocre, though it's grown on me since then. The verses are a little weird but the chorus is catchy. The vocals are a bit rough in spots; it almost feels like the guys knew from the beginning that it wouldn't make the album, so they spent less time polishing it. But I like that about it – it's almost like a really solid demo.

"Solace" is possibly my new favorite ODR b-side, if not tied with "Breathe". The verse is beautiful, and the chorus soars with longing. Myles delivers a standout vocal performance with all the nuance some fans miss from the early days.

Like most b-sides, I can see why these were left off the main album—though I don't always agree with those choices. But they're still solid Alter Bridge songs and I'm delighted they've finally been unearthed. Mad props to Tim for making that happen.

Perhaps the best part is that both songs heavily feature Mark's clean guitar sound! Obviously that's been de-emphasized in recent years as their albums have gotten heavier, so it's great to have some more of those signature cleans in the library.
Ahhhhhhhh I can't wait! Mine is at the post office in town, so it should be here soon! Do either songs have any guitar solos. I guess I'll find out soon, I'm jusy trying to hold myself over until its here.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Literally just got the email that its out for delivery!

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

abw1987 wrote: My initial impression of "Cruel Sun" was mediocre,
This fragment of a sentence has inspired me to commit to reviewing the eventual AB6 entirely through Mad Max - Fury Road references. There's something we can all look forward to.

Great summaries as always, abw.
For all of the hope that it brings...