ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
cajmoyper
Bought The CDs

Re: ALTER BRIDGE - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities

Post by cajmoyper »

Yes! Thank you!!! I for one still love Myles' voice and even if it has dropped off markedly, as some say, (I disagree that it's anything incredibly detrimental) he's still quite literally the best rock singer there is. Throw in his unparalleled skills on the guitar and you can just forget it. Dude's amazing and I will fight anyone who disagrees.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Bring back Fallout-era Myles!
For all of the hope that it brings...

facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by facelessman07 »

cajmoyper wrote:Yes! Thank you!!! I for one still love Myles' voice and even if it has dropped off markedly, as some say, (I disagree that it's anything incredibly detrimental) he's still quite literally the best rock singer there is. Throw in his unparalleled skills on the guitar and you can just forget it. Dude's amazing and I will fight anyone who disagrees.
I disagree that he's the best rock singer there is.

Is that a justifiable reason to fight someone? Differing opinions?

Musical taste and inclinations are all subjective. That's why all those "this band is better than this band" statements are ludicrous.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

cajmoyper wrote:Yes! Thank you!!! I for one still love Myles' voice and even if it has dropped off markedly, as some say, (I disagree that it's anything incredibly detrimental) he's still quite literally the best rock singer there is. Throw in his unparalleled skills on the guitar and you can just forget it. Dude's amazing and I will fight anyone who disagrees.
No one is really disagreeing to what you said lol.

cajmoyper
Bought The CDs

Post by cajmoyper »

facelessman07 wrote:

Musical taste and inclinations are all subjective. That's why all those "this band is better than this band" statements are ludicrous.
It's hyperbole. I'm not much of a fighter anyway. If you're going to disagree then you have to give your top dude. :headbang

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

Myles will always be my fav in fact if anything he has added more to his bag of tricks.He wasn't singing stuff like Calm The Fire in his M4 day or Words Darker than their Wings,or This Side of Fate.Im starting to think people believe big low register voice = great voice but tend to ignore the subtle stuff that for me Myles is the King at.Also people asking for Myles to bring back the Fallout era voice what do you think Lover is?

facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by facelessman07 »

cajmoyper wrote:
facelessman07 wrote:

It's hyperbole. I'm not much of a fighter anyway. If you're going to disagree then you have to give your top dude. :headbang
Keeping consistent with the premise that musical taste & inclinations are subjective...

If you would've asked me five years ago, I would've said Adam Gontier. However, I'm extremely underwhelmed with his vocals in Saint Asonia. Extremely.

I absolutely love the voice of Caleb Oliver, which most on this board have never heard of. Dude could blow you away with his passion. John Cooper & Jared Leto also have to be in that discussion. Stephan Jenkins in the 90's was also something to behold.

Lest I be negligent and forget to mention John Frusciante, who is my favorite guitarist and slightly ahead of Tremonti. Although in his heyday he was a background vocalist, his solo albums up till 2008 really show the variance and intricate manipulation he could perform with his voice.

It really is hard to just pick one. I can honestly say that had Myles stuck to his ODR vox throughout the duration of AB's catalogue, he'd be in that conversation without a doubt. Had Stapp not ruined his voice, he'd also be a mention.

I suppose the technical aspect of music matters less to me than the originality of one's voice. You can have range for days, but if that's all you have, do you really have anything?

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

facelessman07 wrote:
cajmoyper wrote:
facelessman07 wrote:

Keeping consistent with the premise that musical taste & inclinations are subjective...

If you would've asked me five years ago, I would've said Adam Gontier. However, I'm extremely underwhelmed with his vocals in Saint Asonia. Extremely.

I absolutely love the voice of Caleb Oliver, which most on this board have never heard of. Dude could blow you away with his passion. John Cooper & Jared Leto also have to be in that discussion. Stephan Jenkins in the 90's was also something to behold.

Lest I be negligent and forget to mention John Frusciante, who is my favorite guitarist and slightly ahead of Tremonti. Although in his heyday he was a background vocalist, his solo albums up till 2008 really show the variance and intricate manipulation he could perform with his voice.

It really is hard to just pick one. I can honestly say that had Myles stuck to his ODR vox throughout the duration of AB's catalogue, he'd be in that conversation without a doubt. Had Stapp not ruined his voice, he'd also be a mention.

I suppose the technical aspect of music matters less to me than the originality of one's voice. You can have range for days, but if that's all you have, do you really have anything?

U lost me at Stapp.I was a Creed fan but he is nowhere near Myles at any stage

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

1997-1999 Stapp > 2010-2017 Myles (IMHO)

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Oh fuck here we go.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

AB4Lyfe wrote:Oh fuck here we go.
It's not the Batsignal, it's the Stappsignal.
For all of the hope that it brings...

cajmoyper
Bought The CDs

Post by cajmoyper »

...Stapp...Image

facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by facelessman07 »

Raven wrote:
facelessman07 wrote:
cajmoyper wrote:
facelessman07 wrote:

U lost me at Stapp.I was a Creed fan but he is nowhere near Myles at any stage
Music tastes are subjective, correct?

I mean, I pretty much stated that before. Twice.

I'm not going to throw out the sales and number of fans argument, but instead I'm operating under the presupposition that different folks like different things. No one is objectively better than the other. And no amount of wishing can make it so.

Listen, I'm a huge fan of Myles, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned his vox during the ODR era. But I give what I consider fair criticism and some fans begin to get defensive based on insecurities. And here we are on a rabbit trail when all I did was give an honest opinion. Why is that?

facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by facelessman07 »

chtimixeur wrote:1997-1999 Stapp > 2010-2017 Myles (IMHO)
Oh yeah, I can get behind this. I share that opinion. So do the millions of fans that made them the biggest band in the world for that short amount of time. But just because more folks agree on something doesn't make it objectively right. All objectivity is thrown out the window when discussing non-truths, such as tastes in music.

However, we're on an AB board, and you'll catch hate for that. Which is understandable. Had the argument been reversed and on a Creed board, you'd be getting flak from those fans.

Just the way it is. And that's fine.

facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by facelessman07 »

Anyway, I'm ready for Solace to get released. Hopefully this week.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

chtimixeur wrote:1997-1999 Stapp > 2010-2017 Myles (IMHO)
Myles's voice was really strong in 2013-2014. I'd agree with you if we were talking about the AB III era only.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Myles kinda sucked on Apocalyptic Love. Okay, that's basically all the Myles hate I can pull off.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

See, the thing is they're both some of my favourite singers ever.
Myles's voice from 1995 to 2004 was beautiful and full of nuances that I don't here anymore. Even in Lover or This Side of Fate, it's just not the same for me.
Stapp, on the other hand, was a shadow of his former self in 2009-2010, and it was sad to hear him butcher songs night after night. His voice has gotten stronger in the last couple of years, and he can shine here and there on the softer tunes, but it's still nowhere near as strong as it used to be. I mean, what he did live and in the studio from 1997 to early 2000 was astonishing.

@Timotheus : actually, some of the rare vocal performances I genuinely enjoy from Myles after 2007 are on ABIII (Breathe Again and Words Darker Than Their Wings). Technically, he's still a very good singer, no one can deny that, but most of the time, his voice doesn't move me anymore.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

chtimixeur wrote:@Timotheus : actually, some of the rare vocal performances I genuinely enjoy from Myles after 2007 are on ABIII (Breathe Again and Words Darker Than Their Wings). Technically, he's still a very good singer, no one can deny that, but most of the time, his voice doesn't move me anymore.
Oh yea, he sounded great on AB III. The verses of All Hope Is Gone or Life Must Go On come to mind. I was mostly talking about his live performances.

On Fortress he started including his new "live voice" on a few songs, but I thought he used it well on that album. I think The Last Hero is the first album where he disappointed me vocally (while still sounding great on a lot of songs).
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I did enjoy Stapp on those first two records. But he and Myles are like comparing apples to oranges.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23