Best Night of My Life

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
coldenscence
Bought The CDs

Best Night of My Life

Post by coldenscence »

A hardcore Alter Bridge fan since 2005, and I finally got to see them last night in Leipzig. I still cannot wrap my head around that it was a "real" experience. It feels so overwhelmingly kaleidoscopic and unreal.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm 30, and sometimes I can't pace up with how fast time flies. As much as it's true, I still can't believe that TWELVE years have elapsed since the first year of college. To me, it just feels like a couple of months ago. The concept of time is ridiculously cruel to me, and it has become kind of a philosophical dilemma in my life. This is where Alter Bridge acts as a reference point, in order to keep things real. For example, when I want to remember something that has happened in 2008, my brain mechanism works in this weird way that says: "oh, just remember one year after Blackbird". In other words, almost every event is defined to me by how far it is to specific AB-related memories. I started my Master's just one week after AB III was released. It was when I moved to another city to start a new life. So, AB III represents this particular landmark in my life, as does every other Alter Bridge record. Long story short, Alter Bridge helps me to divide time into meaningful partitions that I can distinguish, recollect, and refer to later. Thus, to say that Alter Bridge is interwoven with my identity isn’t an overstatement at all.

Having said these, it shouldn’t be a surprise that seeing them for the first time would turn into this huge, almost surreal experience. Last night, I was in such a state of ecstasy that I could hardly believe what was going on. I deliberately stayed off the booze, because I knew it was gonna fuck my brains out and distort my sense of reality even more! I was sober and yet I felt I was on the most potent acid ever! I took some pictures and recorded some footage, not because I wanted to “share” them on social media websites, but to watch them later and reassure myself that I was actually there! They are all blurred and in terrible quality anyway.

Anyway, as an Alter Bridge fan I just felt obligated to write this story, and tell you what an awesome night I had. They had a relatively straightforward set-list, apart from Lover, which was a delightful surprise. Some guy had a “My Champion”-self printed Converse sneaker, which Myles asked to be thrown on stage to show it to others. It was hilarious when a couple of minutes later Myles chanted: “Converse, Converse…”

Immediately after “Watch Over You”, a guy in front of me turned back and showed his arm to me! First, I was confused since I know very little German. Then I realized the guy literally got goosebumps, and he was sharing his emotions with me.

Overall, it was an ethereal experience that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Re: Best Night of My Life

Post by gbruin »

Awesome, coldenscence! You've waited far too long to see them, so I'm really glad for you that the night lived up to everything. :D

Oh, and good luck with the Ph.D. stuff!
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

The first time is always special :D Thanks for sharing! So glad you had such a great time :)
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

coldenscence
Bought The CDs

Post by coldenscence »

gbruin wrote:Awesome, coldenscence! You've waited far too long to see them, so I'm really glad for you that the night lived up to everything. :D

It was indeed way overdue, and I'm glad I crossed out one item in my things-to-do-before-you-die list

And, thanks for the nice remarks man :cheers

coldenscence
Bought The CDs

Post by coldenscence »

TenaciousBe wrote:The first time is always special :D Thanks for sharing! So glad you had such a great time :)
I still feel the buzz. Muchas gracias man :peace

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

coldenscence wrote:
gbruin wrote:Awesome, coldenscence! You've waited far too long to see them, so I'm really glad for you that the night lived up to everything. :D

It was indeed way overdue, and I'm glad I crossed out one item in my things-to-do-before-you-die list

And, thanks for the nice remarks man :cheers
Congrats on the bucket list item being crossed off bud, I did that as well this February!

SedyBenoitPeace
Brand New Start

Post by SedyBenoitPeace »

I see them for the first time in December...I wasn't an hardcore fan like you...i discovered Alter Bridge only a year before my first show.....but i share all your feelings...for me that night was unreal...i can't find a word to describe my feelings...and i'm looking forward to see them on 5th July!

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Thank you for sharing! Sometimes the feeling stays with me for a week or longer. Sounds like you're experiencing the same. :)

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

I'm glad it lived up to your expectations! I had wanted to see AB for years but wasn't old / independent enough / didn't get a good chance until a little after ABIII came out. I drove 3 hrs with a friend to see them in Big Flats, NY and even though they were touring with like 6 other bands, all except for AB and I want to say Adelitas Way got stuck in Rochester because the roads were flooded. AB and the other band had left early and were the only 2 that could perform so they both considerably lengthened their playlists. We had to wait almost 90 minutes after the concert was supposed to start but AB came out opening with Slip to the Void and the whole thing was magic and I was right on the railing for it. The entire ride home for three hours we were just talkginb about how amazing the show was and doing all the play by plays. It's true, I think I didn't come down for about a week. Other shows haven't been as special to me because I have to sit through other opening acts I don't really know and usually my ears and the rest of me are getting tired and want to sit down by the time AB comes out. I also usually have a full bladder by then but don't want to give up my spot :lol

coldenscence
Bought The CDs

Post by coldenscence »

AB4Lyfe wrote:Congrats on the bucket list item being crossed off bud, I did that as well this February!
It's a fantastic feeling, isn't it? You almost feel all the hard times that you've endured are paid off.
To all the dreams that have come true :cheers

coldenscence
Bought The CDs

Post by coldenscence »

SedyBenoitPeace wrote:I see them for the first time in December...I wasn't an hardcore fan like you...i discovered Alter Bridge only a year before my first show.....but i share all your feelings...for me that night was unreal...i can't find a word to describe my feelings...and i'm looking forward to see them on 5th July!
If AB have awed you in just one year of exposure, it only reaffirms how powerful and brilliant their music is. They have an exceptionally devoted fan-base in Italy. I'm sure you'll gave an amazing time there.

coldenscence
Bought The CDs

Post by coldenscence »

abw1987 wrote:Thank you for sharing! Sometimes the feeling stays with me for a week or longer. Sounds like you're experiencing the same. :)
It truly is an uncanny feeling. Best drug I have ever had! :D

coldenscence
Bought The CDs

Post by coldenscence »

Fish Tacos wrote:I'm glad it lived up to your expectations! I had wanted to see AB for years but wasn't old / independent enough / didn't get a good chance until a little after ABIII came out. I drove 3 hrs with a friend to see them in Big Flats, NY and even though they were touring with like 6 other bands, all except for AB and I want to say Adelitas Way got stuck in Rochester because the roads were flooded. AB and the other band had left early and were the only 2 that could perform so they both considerably lengthened their playlists. We had to wait almost 90 minutes after the concert was supposed to start but AB came out opening with Slip to the Void and the whole thing was magic and I was right on the railing for it. The entire ride home for three hours we were just talkginb about how amazing the show was and doing all the play by plays. It's true, I think I didn't come down for about a week. Other shows haven't been as special to me because I have to sit through other opening acts I don't really know and usually my ears and the rest of me are getting tired and want to sit down by the time AB comes out. I also usually have a full bladder by then but don't want to give up my spot :lol
A lot of shared feelings/experiences here. In particular, I believe the driving bit has a lot to do with how high it can get you. I, too, had a little trip (although by train) to Leipzig, which took almost 4 hours. I arrived around 4:00 pm, which was still 4 hours before the show. I decided to walk to the concert hall to kinda put me in the "zone". It was almost 7 km, and the funny thing is that Google Map directed me via a shortcut in a jungle! I lost my mobile data and GPS halfway, but relied on my instinct to stay on route. In the end, the path converged toward a river, which made it far more easier not to get lost! And when I finally saw an AB leaflet of a tree, I felt a sudden rush of exhilaration on my face!

The show ended around 11:30. I talked, drank, and smoked with some guys that I befriended whilst waiting in line. Waited until 2 in front of the bus, with the hope of seeing them again. I don't know how they escaped, but I'm 100% positive that the house was dead black when I decided to leave! :D
I had a 4:00 am ticket to get back. Wandered in the streets till I reached the train station, and ever since I am reflecting on and on and on...

Tigra
Isolated

Post by Tigra »

Isn't it amazing what wonderful feelings they bring to us? I’m fully with you about the high you got after the gig and seeing the guys because that’s exactly where I was a couple of months ago. It kept buzzing in me for the next weeks but now I’ve been suffering from withdrawal side effects…

Thanks for sharing the story, it reminded me of my happy moments :)

coldenscence
Bought The CDs

Post by coldenscence »

Tigra wrote:Isn't it amazing what wonderful feelings they bring to us? I’m fully with you about the high you got after the gig and seeing the guys because that’s exactly where I was a couple of months ago. It kept buzzing in me for the next weeks but now I’ve been suffering from withdrawal side effects…

Thanks for sharing the story, it reminded me of my happy moments :)
Hopefully, the hangover won't last too long and we'll see them soon. Thank you indeed for the nice comment :cheers

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

I feel you about time. I joined in 2007 right before Blackbird dropped. I was 15 but it still feels like yesterday that I was getting hyped over leaked Blackbird clips with everyone else. Ever since I graduated high school I feel like I'm trapped in a time warp and before I know it I'll be an old man. Scary. I use AB as reference points as well at times, especially around BB and ABIII.

SedyBenoitPeace
Brand New Start

Post by SedyBenoitPeace »

coldenscence wrote:
SedyBenoitPeace wrote:I see them for the first time in December...I wasn't an hardcore fan like you...i discovered Alter Bridge only a year before my first show.....but i share all your feelings...for me that night was unreal...i can't find a word to describe my feelings...and i'm looking forward to see them on 5th July!
If AB have awed you in just one year of exposure, it only reaffirms how powerful and brilliant their music is. They have an exceptionally devoted fan-base in Italy. I'm sure you'll gave an amazing time there.
Also the 5th July was an amazing night by the way (it seems like yesterday to me), but unfortunately this time the fan-base was not happy with the band (i don't know why honestly, probably it was also for other shows from other bands) the band was forced to move the event to two small venues because probably they sold only few tickets and in fact we paid because they won't turn back on october/november (they're making another small tour)...i'm not happy because i'd like to see them again but well will be for the next time :)