Tremonti pt #4 - A Dying Machine

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Re: Tremonti pt #4

Post by Mr. Slash »

AllC392Was wrote:
chtimixeur wrote:
AllC392Was wrote:What would you like to see him do differently? Specifically.
More than anything, I want to be surprised.
I want to hear a song and say to myself : "holy crap, is that Mark Tremonti ? I knew he was good, but I had no idea he was able to write that kinf of stuff."

But more specifically, I'd say :
- longer songs that don't rely on the intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/solo/chorus formula
- longer instrumentals parts that go on for a few minutes. I'd like Mark to show us what he really can do with his guitar when he lets loose
- a radical change in the sound. Hire a real metal producer for instance, it will give the music a new edge and a different feel from AB
- a more metal approach to the overall songwriting. Right now, Tremonti feels like a modern rock band with metal riffs and pop choruses, and it makes the end result very contrived. Maybe for once, Mark should try writing on the spot with the band during jam sessions instead of bringing some riffs he has on a computer. It's the safe choice and part of the reason everything sounds the same after a while. I think he's good enough of a musician to pull it off, and it may bring something out of him we've never heard before.
I can agree to that as well. Last time I felt that way was when I heard All I Was. Like.. Holy Shit thats Mark?!?!
Yea, All I Was really melted by brain back then. It kinda opened me for heavier music. Cauterize was kinda disappointing, at least when you expected something as mindblowing as AIW. Many of the Cauterize riffs were pretty bland, and the more "AB-ish" approach on many songs didn't fit quite well. After all many Cauterize songs sounded like AB-light to me.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Cauterize is the best Tremonti album.

#ControversialOpinions
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I don't know, I rate Cauterize pretty highly in the Tremonti albums. It's a race to the top between Cauterize and All I Was, leaning more towards Cauterize for the time being. Dust is a fine album, but certain songs didn't reach the highest points that I like from Mark's solo stuff (Unable to See was tremendous to me though).

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Dust is best. Do more of that.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

All I Was is probably my least favourite album Mark's done since 02, Brains is pretty much all I listen to from it. Dusterize was a big step forward, but it should've been one album (in artistic terms).
For all of the hope that it brings...

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

All I Was kinda suffered from having a bunch of forgettable songs. Combined with the production Elvis was really high on back then, it all just didn't feel very impactful to me.

Songs like Wish You Well and The Things I've Seen are still killer, and some of the best he's written under the Tremonti name. Brains as well, though I never really could get over that chorus.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

The Things I've Seen never recovered for me after I noticed the similarity of the bridge melody to a Robbie Williams song.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Please don't tell me which song :(
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

All I Was is my favorite album ever, with the things I've seen probably being my favorite song ever.

I think All I Was is the perfect. Everything feels like it should be there. The production is similar feeling on all songs, garretts pop on the album is fantastic, it's just a great album, to me.

I remember the day You Waste Your Time was released. Couldn't believe that was Mark Tremonti.

Been a huge fan ever since. Drove over 6 hours one way to Nashville for the inaugural Tremonti tour, then crazy enough, on the Cauterize tour, he played half a mile down the road from my depart point from the college campus for the Nashville show, in Johnson City TN.

Won't miss a show within 4 hours ever. I'm not a kid anymore, heck, I have a kid. can't make crazy road trips for shows now, but something reasonable, I'll be there.

Tremonti is my favorite band. Heavy and great.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

I think 2 key factors of All I Was that made it a fan favorite is that 1... it sound raw and organic. Doesn't have a shit ton of affects over it. and 2.. Just because you have a heavy song doesn't mean you can't add some lighter stuff to it. Brains is a perfect example. You've got the dark/moody intro.. and during the bridge it kind of takes a step back with the heaviness and focuses on the vocals and building the song. With a song like Catching Fire I think they tried to go in a similar approach but all you really get is heavy riffs. I think thats where he may want to do something different during the breakdown parts.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I like Dust the best out of the three albums. It has a couple weaker tracks, but overall it's a really good album.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Timotheus wrote:Brains as well, though I never really could get over that chorus.
So you don't feel much better all alone? :headscratch

My "problem" with "The Things I've Seen" is that the intro/verse riff kinda reminds me of an alternate version of "Burn It Down". Not a bad thing, but it somehow bothered me back then. But yea, it's a great song.

tzAB
Brand New Start

Post by tzAB »

Anyone notice how similar "Fall Again" sounds like "Save Me"?

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

HM. Mark seems to be leaning towards another double album! One heavy, one mellow (acoustic?). Sounds like he's trying to do what Foo Fighters did with In Your Honor. I'm not sure how I feel about it but as long as the heavy stuff is heavy and the mellow stuff isn't cheesy (looking at you, You Will Be Remembered...), this might be awesome!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/up ... album.html

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

WaywardOne wrote:HM. Mark seems to be leaning towards another double album! One heavy, one mellow (acoustic?). Sounds like he's trying to do what Foo Fighters did with In Your Honor. I'm not sure how I feel about it but as long as the heavy stuff is heavy and the mellow stuff isn't cheesy (looking at you, You Will Be Remembered...), this might be awesome!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/up ... album.html
Just saw this and couldn't be more excited. Unable to See was such a good track specifically because it was so honest and heartfelt. More stuff like that would be awesome! I miss the days when Mark would just strum away at simple chords. Sometimes that just works.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I'm a bit disappointed that Mark is leaning towards wanting to do this idea with his solo band than with AB, honestly. I've been wanting something like an album of electric and heavy and an album of more acoustic of AB in one package for years. I guess with the idea that a Myles solo project (that we are all dying to hear) is more acoustic and nothing heavy means that Myles probably is not leaning towards that idea for AB.

Still, I'm game for more Tremonti as long as AB tick off everything they want and need to do for AB's touring cycle (and they are actually off on a good start, playing more shows or going to play more shows than they did during the Fortress run).

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

anguyen92 wrote:I'm a bit disappointed that Mark is leaning towards wanting to do this idea with his solo band than with AB, honestly. I've been wanting something like an album of electric and heavy and an album of more acoustic of AB in one package for years. I guess with the idea that a Myles solo project (that we are all dying to hear) is more acoustic and nothing heavy means that Myles probably is not leaning towards that idea for AB.

Still, I'm game for more Tremonti as long as AB tick off everything they want and need to do for AB's touring cycle (and they are actually off on a good start, playing more shows or going to play more shows than they did during the Fortress run).
I think the reason I'm more hyped for Tremonti to do this is because he tends to be the more poetic of the two, lyrically. Myles used to be in the MF4 days and then something happened.

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

anguyen92 wrote:I'm a bit disappointed that Mark is leaning towards wanting to do this idea with his solo band than with AB, honestly. I've been wanting something like an album of electric and heavy and an album of more acoustic of AB in one package for years. I guess with the idea that a Myles solo project (that we are all dying to hear) is more acoustic and nothing heavy means that Myles probably is not leaning towards that idea for AB.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Totally agree.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Jaded Rescue wrote: I think the reason I'm more hyped for Tremonti to do this is because he tends to be the more poetic of the two, lyrically. Myles used to be in the MF4 days and then something happened.
The edgy teenager in Myles died. :embarrassed

Or to be more precise: Myles addressed topics you can't be really poetic about. (politics, religion) I mean despite using several metaphors for purgatory and agony.

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

The problem would be easily solved if Mark's solo project didn't exist and he continued to contribute lyrics to AB. I still say AB are at their best when both Mark and Myles contribute lyrically to an album.