The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Re: The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

Post by mikeyd23 »

One Drew Remains wrote:Didn't the band have a poll at the listening party for TLH? When they handed out the sheets for the album. Sounds like they do listen to the die hards about single choices.
That's a good question. Maybe someone from the listening party can verify. The thing is though, we have NO way of knowing whether Myles, Mark, Brian, Flip, their friends and families all sat down together and made an excel spreadsheet outlining, in a detailed manner the results or whether they ripped them up and threw them away backstage. Obviously, reality probably falls somewhere in the middle, but we don't know.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I think Mark or Myles actually said that they went against the feedback from the listening party for the single.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

AB23 wrote:TLH may have dropped to a tie with ABIII for my least fav album. I just don't even listen to several of the songs at all. Given that it's such a new album, that's not good. This sucks for me because I thought they were going in the right (ish) direction with Fortress.
My sentiments exactly.

Finaldecision
White Knuckled

Post by Finaldecision »

Lenishere wrote:Alright well, it is time for me to provide my first ever review! Hope it goes well :lol
Great review my friend :cheers

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by The Plotblocker »

Ubik wrote:I think Mark or Myles actually said that they went against the feedback from the listening party for the single.
Yeah I think that is true. The only song title that I remember attendees raving about after was the title track. The couple I spoke to personally both voted for TLH too.
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

The Plotblocker wrote:
Ubik wrote:I think Mark or Myles actually said that they went against the feedback from the listening party for the single.
Yeah I think that is true. The only song title that I remember attendees raving about after was the title track. The couple I spoke to personally both voted for TLH too.
The Last Hero would've been a terrible(!!!!!) single. It's way too complex, progressive and long to be played on radio or to acquire new fans. Show Me A Leader is definitely more suited.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by The Plotblocker »

Blackbird wrote:
The Plotblocker wrote:
The Last Hero would've been a terrible(!!!!!) single. It's way too complex, progressive and long to be played on radio or to acquire new fans. Show Me A Leader is definitely more suited.
Personally I would have gone with PIYV for the first single and followed it up with YWBR. Just because I think they would both do quite well on radio.
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Yeah, Poison or My Champion. I was thinking (while running and listening to the record) the other day, that if SMAL didn't have that cool intro, Poison is like the only other song that could have lead off the album.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

The Plotblocker wrote:
Blackbird wrote:
The Plotblocker wrote:
Personally I would have gone with PIYV for the first single and followed it up with YWBR. Just because I think they would both do quite well on radio.
That would've been absolutely reasonable as well. I don't know if YWBR would be a good single, but that's probably because I don't really like the song and a lot of AB fans seem to feel the same. Could still do well on radio.

Lenishere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Lenishere »

Finaldecision wrote:
Lenishere wrote:Alright well, it is time for me to provide my first ever review! Hope it goes well :lol
Great review my friend :cheers

Thanks buddy! I'm just glad somebody took the time to read my long ass review! Haha! :rockon :peace

claudiocc
Bought The CDs

Re: You're killing Christmas for Little Timmy here!!!! :D

Post by claudiocc »

anguyen92 wrote:^^ I'm not telling you to fake it to please me, I can never be pleased. What I will say is that it's just pretty damn tolling to read, here, a lot of the more "harsh, yet justifiable" thoughts on the album (which is why I took a few days off from reading this thread until the heat settles down and it actually killed my enthusiasm to post here frequently than I want to). I'm not saying it's wrong or telling people to stop posting these kinds of thoughts. It just a big downer to me.

For me, an AB album release day is like Christmas, except it happens every three years, and to read that some of the loyal fans had really harsh words on the album or the direction of it, it's like killing the excitement that is Christmas to me. The excitement of me can be extinguished on any other day, but around the period the album is out is just a bigger downer. :(

Man, some time gone past and I can't really read all 35 pages of posts. I am a die hard fan. I have seen AB for the 41st time AB last night. Afetr a first difficult take on The Last Hero, I now believe is a fantastic album, really really good. The rhythm guitars, riff and rhythm session is absolutely amazing all the way along. I think Myles is awesome on keeping a high level to all, andmaybe I just would like some more melodic solos. ....Fantastic. Maybe not their best, but Fantastic

Trmills823
Brand New Start

Post by Trmills823 »

Man, it's been a while since I've been on here, with finals and such happening right now. So now with multiple weeks of listening to TLH, I can genuinely say a few things.

1) As previously stated by myself and others, the mix/mastering choices ruined this album. Songs that could have been great are only good. And good songs are mediocre.

2) My top 3 in no order are still: Cradle, Island, and the Last Hero. And from watching the "Behind the song" of Island, I just think Mark's bitter he didn't write the main riff haha. That's easily his best solo IMO.

3) The rest of the album is good. Not great. Not Fortress or BB. But good. I skip a song or two, which I don't do on either of those other records. But all in all, it has grown on me.

As for the singles, I understand why those chose what they did for air play. But I do prefer YWBR to MC, for what it's worth.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I can't get over how awesome This Side of Fate sounds from 2:37 to 5:00 in the song. I know it's a big chunk of the song, but it's definitely in my Top 10 AB moments. Just something about the atmosphere of that whole section gives me goosebumps. I only wish that at 3:59 they kept the energy going and building instead of picking it back up again 18 seconds later.

Kreuger33
Loyal Follower

Post by Kreuger33 »

Trmills823 wrote: 2) My top 3 in no order are still: Cradle, Island, and the Last Hero. And from watching the "Behind the song" of Island, I just think Mark's bitter he didn't write the main riff haha. That's easily his best solo IMO.
Dont know if I agree about the best solo. I think theres better on the album, nevermind overall. For example, Cradle is better to me.

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:I can't get over how awesome This Side of Fate sounds from 2:37 to 5:00 in the song. I know it's a big chunk of the song, but it's definitely in my Top 10 AB moments. Just something about the atmosphere of that whole section gives me goosebumps. I only wish that at 3:59 they kept the energy going and building instead of picking it back up again 18 seconds later.
I agree it's a great section, I'd say I have more issue with the transition INTO that section rather than OUT of.

I like the build out of it to strip it back, it's a cool idea. I just wish they would have built into that section coming out of the second chorus rather than just hitting a chord, and then jumping in a measure or two later full tilt.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

On Maggie Rock Wright's Facebook page, there's a video of them sounchecking The Writing On The Wall, and obviously that means no vocals, so the video goes from a chorus to the bridge and ends there, but I never knew what the bridge truly sounded like instrumentally because of all that vocal layering. The bridge riff actually sounds pretty cool. I just wish it was easier to hear in the mix! :slam

https://www.facebook.com/maggierockwrig ... f=NEWSFEED

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Oh yeah. Love that part. Love the chunky riff that comes in after Myles solo as well. One if my favorite TLH moments.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

:lol

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Midi at its best.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I really wish people didn't get copyright claims for covers like this, but this awesome video is probably gonna be taken down soon :/