Your Top 5 From The Last Hero

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!

Your Top 5 From The Last Hero

Show Me A Leader
3%
The Writing On The Wall
4%
The Other Side
9%
My Champion
5%
Poison In Your Veins
3%
Cradle To The Grave
14%
Losing Patience
2%
This Side Of Fate
13%
You Will Be Remembered
3%
Crows On A Wire
9%
Twilight
2%
Island of Fools
14%
The Last Hero
15%
The Last Of Our Kind/Symphony of Agony
2%
Breathe
2%

Total votes: 483

Raven
White Knuckled

Re: Your Top 5 From The Last Hero

Post by Raven »

Jaded Rescue wrote:Breathe
Breathe
Breathe
Breathe
Breathe

Wait... did I do that right?
Wow i have that as dead last

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Raven wrote:
AB4Lyfe wrote:I enjoy Twilight, but there are songs on this record I enjoy more. As for Losing Patience, it is my least favorite AB song, right next to Break Me Down.
:facepalm
Will never understand the hate for this song i could list 20 worse AB songs than Losing Patience not exaggerating
For me, the hate comes from how many layers of vocals there are. Usually Myles sings more naturally in the verse and then it multiplies in the chorus, but there's multiple voices going throughout this song. Then in the chorus, there are too many to count and it just sounds like one giant mess. To each their own, and cheers to you if you like it, but that's my reasoning for disliking the song so much.

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

I still haven't heard Breathe :mope

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I actually don't mind the bombastic production on the Writing on the Wall. In a way, it reminds me of the groove you can hear in the djent subgenre.

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

DonHarry wrote:I still haven't heard Breathe :mope
It's cool, if you heard the preview you pretty much heard the song.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

YouTube.

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

No shit. It ain't on there.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

DonHarry wrote:No shit. It ain't on there.
I could have sworn it was on there yesterday. I heard it on YouTube anyways. Maybe it was region specific?

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Raven wrote:
AB4Lyfe wrote:I enjoy Twilight, but there are songs on this record I enjoy more. As for Losing Patience, it is my least favorite AB song, right next to Break Me Down.
:facepalm
Will never understand the hate for this song i could list 20 worse AB songs than Losing Patience not exaggerating
I think the "swarm of bees" analogy in the TABN review ruined it for me a little bit. It's my first impression of the song every time it starts up, and I end up going, "Ugh."

I do enjoy the chorus, though. Don't care for the filtering in the verses. Can't even hear what MK is saying.

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
DonHarry wrote:No shit. It ain't on there.
I could have sworn it was on there yesterday. I heard it on YouTube anyways. Maybe it was region specific?
Maybe. Possibly just getting taken down quickly as well.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
YouTube.
Or buy it, the way the band intend/would like the fans to listen to it. The band won't YouTube the full song any time soon

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Jim wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
YouTube.
Or buy it, the way the band intend/would like the fans to listen to it. The band won't YouTube the full song any time soon
Understandably. I'm just saying it's an alternative to spending another 20+$ for one song he may or may not like. People like to hear music before buying it sometimes to validate their purchase.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Jim wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
YouTube.
I'd be more than happy to buy it but I pre-ordered the CD and t-shirt from their website and got "stuck" with that since they announced the Best Buy exclusive afterwards. I'd happily pay for the song by itself but having to buy another CD altogether? Idk, I'll pay and support this band until the end, but that just doesn't seem right to me. :shrug

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

Yeah great man. I already bought 2 copies of the album but the UK version doesn't have it. It's only right that I buy it a 3rd time plus the shipping from the states for the sake of one single B-side. I'm sure that's what they intended.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

I was referring to rather than people listening to the music for free on YouTube after someone ripped it put it on, Harry.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

And nobody made you buy 2 UK versions Harry, that was your choice to support them in that way. Which I'm sure they're immensely grateful for, you helped them get to No.3

But there's obviously a reason as to why Breathe was chosen to go only on that version. And if you can't find ways to buy it, then that's your choice. Having a wider choice of products to choose from across multiple continents is fantastic from my point of view

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

And if you can't find ways to buy it, then that's your choice.
No, if I CHOOSE not to find ways to buy it then it's my choice, if I CAN'T find ways to buy it then it isn't a choice, Jim. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks buying the whole album again for 1 song is a bit unfair. I'm happy to buy the MP3 since I only want the song I'm missing but it isn't an option, Jim.
But there's obviously a reason as to why Breathe was chosen to go only on that version.
There is a reason, and it isn't because Mark has a special spot for BestBuy.
Having a wider choice of products to choose from across multiple continents is fantastic from my point of view
That's fine for those who can access those things easily. You have friends in America, I'm sure it wasn't difficult for you to obtain it. What about the people who can't get hold of it so easily? Or people who's financial situation might make it hard for them to buy multiple discs just to get the complete set? I don't think regionalising everything is a good thing from that perspective.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

I don't understand. Is there a way you'd like for one of us 'Muricans to provide Breathe for you? I'm not looking for money myself (obviously, that's illegal) and I'd like for you to get this file, but as you said you don't want to pay loads for the CD and shipping.

What is it I can do for you? I'm genuinely interested in helping out a community member any which way that I can.

cajmoyper
Bought The CDs

Re: Favorite song(s) from The Last Hero

Post by cajmoyper »

slasherbridge wrote:No particular order:
The Other Side: Slow and creepy. People keep saying it's like Show Me A Sign's twin, but the more I listen, the more I disagree. SMAS is brooding and depressive. This feels more angry and brooding. The song is just massive. I'm glad they didn't add a solo because I think it's perfect the way it is. Favorite part of the song: That bridge.

Cradle to the Grave: Best song lyrically since Blackbird. That second verse nearly brought me to tears. One of two songs on this album that I really feel standout amongst the rest of their discography as being "different". Favorite moment: afformentioned 2nd verse.

The Side of Fate: What can I say about this one? Amazing soloing from both Mark and Myles, and a killer arrangement. Catchy chorus that is currently stuck in my head. Along with Cradle to the Grave, it stands out as being an incredibly unique song on this album compared to the rest of their discography. That bridge too. It's like Muse, Dream Theater, and Queen had a baby and Alter Bridge raised it as their own. Favorite part: tie between Myles' solo and the bridge as a whole.

Island of Fools: What doesn't this song have? Excellent solos, catchy chorus, awesome verse melodies, and DAT RIFF. Favorite moment: transition from heavy intro riff into the first verse.

The Last Hero: previews weren't kidding when they said this one would take you on a journey. Starting directly with the verse was not expected. And that transition from the solo to the breakdown/bridge was incredible. My head wouldn't stop bobbing. Great conclusion to the album. Favorite moment: idk. It's really hard to choose. Probably the above mentioned transiton.
Everything about this...YES!!! Most of the time, my favorite part of any AB song containing a solo is the solo. So I'll get that out of the way.

TOS: It's a disservice to the song to classify it as being just "heavy." Yes, it's heavy, maybe the heaviest thing they've ever done, but there's something else. Like it reaches down to the depths of hell and pulls out this beast of a bridge.

C2TG: Signature Tremonster finger-picked intro luring you into a sense of safe melody before blasting you over the head with one of the most refined riffs on the record. It transitions from verse to chorus I think as well as any song on the album. That quasi-solo leading into the bridge gets you prepped for the real kick ass solo. Love it.

TSoF: I don't know exactly when AB embraced the prog label (maybe Slip to the Void, or Words Darker than Their Wings) but they keep improving on arrangements. There's a fine line between writing a catchy, beautiful melody and mindless shredding (ahem, I'm looking at you Animals as Leaders, yuk!) but this whole album straddles it perfectly. Love the bridge, love the solos, love Myles dynamic voice throughout the song. *This side of fate is blind....What have we done?....Don't say it's over!*

IoF: I will admit I think they could've done a better job of melding that sick ass melodic intro with the verse riff. But once that gets going, Myles takes over for one of the best choruses they've ever done. The last chorus when they change the chorus's second verse to Lost on this island of fools, you can just feel a wicked Tremonti solo coming on and he barrels in guns blazing. My favorite solo on the album.

TLH: This song....I can't get enough of it!!! AB's Magnum Opus. (That's up for debate for sure but musically and structurally, I think it has no equals) Myles soft verse vocals, coming out of his solo into that riffing bridge, *Have we lost our last her(enter bitching solo)ooooooooooo????????*, that ending verse or bridge or whatever leaves you exhausted by the end of the song. It's so fast-paced but still somehow figures out how to fill up nearly 7 minutes of run time. Does anybody else get the feeling this song could easily be 9 minutes? Don't know how, stretching things out, slowing it down, whatever. Not that it should be. Alter Bridge just doesn't waste anything. A band like Tool will stretch things out, a good riff for instance, to seemingly make what should be a 4 or 5-minute into a 9-minute snoozer. AB don't do that and I appreciate it.
:peace

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Re: Favorite song(s) from The Last Hero

Post by gbruin »

psycosquirrel789 wrote:
gbruin wrote:
Looks like I'm joining psychosquirrel's club
I know you put in the "h" on purpose... you're out of the club. Please pick a new top 5. Thank you.
Gaah!! Totally forgot about the no h rule. I fail. Apologies..

My punitive New 5:

Last Of Our Kind
The Last Hero
Island of Fools
Losing Patience
Poison In Your Veins

(can I be in the club, now?)
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die