The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Dolo
Burn It Down

Re: The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

Post by Dolo »

Btw, Crows on a Wire chorus anyone?

Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

AB23 wrote:losing patience couldn't live up to one by one's shit after taco tuesday.

One by One is boring af pardon my French i skip it every time

Ashlee
Site Admin

Post by Ashlee »

Electricladyland wrote:

4/5

Favorite Songs:
The Last Hero
Island Of Fools
This Side of Fate
Cradle To The Grave
The Other Side
Really thoughtful review! Thanks for sharing.

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

Dolo wrote:
Raven wrote:

Add me I'm not understanding the hate,the dynamics sound the same if not better than Fortress def better than ABIII even though i love that album to.
It is not only the dynamics that contributes to the quality of a record.

Which i adore

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Perhaps it's because I just love our troops and think it is one of the most artfully worded military tributes of all time.

And one of the most underrated bridges in AB's catalogue.

And probably a top 3 live performance of a song they've ever done (look up One by One in Spokane).

And probably because Losing Patience is just a song I don't like any part of. It sounds like Myles is a robot in the chorus because of how layered his voice is. And the chorus sucks.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

Dolo wrote:Btw, Crows on a Wire chorus anyone?

Won't be clicking that because Crows is my favorite from the record and I don't want it ruined lol
Photobucket cash grab.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Dolo wrote:Btw, Crows on a Wire chorus anyone?

I kind of dig Crows on a Wire. Like, I truly believe that Crows on a Wire is the type of song you'd hear on like a wrestling game or something... am I wrong? I haven't played a wrestling game in awhile, but the chorus just kind of reminds me of when I was in the "create a character" mode in WWE 2K11.

I could totally see that being on some sports video game. So catchy.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Katy Perry's chorus in that tune and Crows' chorus are similar af.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

AB23 wrote:What do you mean? As in, some people are beginning to recognize that the band is heading in a different direction than they want?

Because honestly, that opinion I stole from Jaded Rescue's farewell thread lol. It kind of opened my eyes, to be honest. Like, I think he's absolutely right. I didn't want to admit it, but the band is kind of growing apart from me. I just genuinely think the quality of music they are producing is declining. And it fucking pains me to say that, because this was a life changing band for me.

That got #real pretty quick.

FWIW, I love that some new people around here are coming on here and loving it. AB is still going to be someone else's favorite band because of this record. But I don't think I can tell you with a straight face that this album is good. I just don't think it is. It hurts my fucking heart to admit that.
I feel bad for you man, I really do. I had this with other bands. My first musical love was Linkin Park... well... if a band changed their direction radically it's them. Which is fine, but since that bands earlier work had such an impact on my life it hurt like hell to see them turning away from the heavy sound.

AB on the other hand is heading where I want them to. But if you love ODR, I can see why you don't like this as much...
I think it would be cool to see them do one or two songs on an album really toned down, like ODR was, and still keep the more 'progressive' (Fortress/TSOF/TLH) and heavy (Island of Fools) kind of songs.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Okay. I had two albums from two favorite bands to listen to... And there's a stark contrast between my opinions.

I did not want to write a review after the first time I listened to TLH, 'cause man, it would have been harsh. Listened to it twice so far, will give it a third spin before I write it. I take some consolation from knowing that I'm not the only one that's disappointed, though... small consolation but one nevertheless.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Damn, I used to like the old Linkin Park too hahahaha. Thank you for the kind words, Fix. I love the guys and I can't wait to see them tonight. But I would be remiss if I were to come here and put off some sort of fake enthusiasm over something that I didn't really enjoy. That's just not the way I roll. I think some people appreciate my honesty and many others want me to fuck off.

Which is why I made a thread dedicated to me getting told to fuck off.

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

AB23 wrote:Perhaps it's because I just love our troops and think it is one of the most artfully worded military tributes of all time.

And one of the most underrated bridges in AB's catalogue.

And probably a top 3 live performance of a song they've ever done (look up One by One in Spokane).

And probably because Losing Patience is just a song I don't like any part of. It sounds like Myles is a robot in the chorus because of how layered his voice is. And the chorus sucks.
The chorus is the best part of Losing Patience and the worst part of One by One for me which is a pity coz the riffs in that song are cool.Ah wow apples and oranges

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

I was one of the people that gave in and downloaded the leak, so I've had time to give it quite a few listens.

Honestly, on my first listen, I was disappointed. It didn't have the same punch or clean sound like Fortress, which might be their best album. But after I listened more and more, I started to really love a lot of the songs. This Side of Fate, The Last Hero, Island of Fools, Twilight, Cradle To the Grave are all amazing songs. I feel like they are only getting better musically. However, I will say that this falls under Blackbird and Fortress for me. I hate ranking the albums, to me Alter Bridge sort of rotates between releasing 'great albums' and 'masterpieces.'

ODR - great album
Blackbird -masterpiece
ABIII - great album
Fortress - masterpiece

And TLH falls under the category of a great album, not quite measuring up to the likes of BB and Fortress. It's similar to ABIII for me, in that it has a chunk of really fantastic songs, even one or two epics, but then there are a few too many generic fillers. ABIII had Slip and WDTTW as the two epics, along with really good stuff like Ghosts and IKIH, The Last Hero is similar. This Side of Fate and The Last Hero are amazing, Island of Fools and Cradle are great, but then there are songs like Writing On the Wall, Losing Patience, Crows, and My Champion that are just completely forgettable.

Overall I'd give the album a solid 7.5/10, a really good album that is elevated by the sheer quality of its epics, but not as solid throughout as other records.
Last edited by Arctic on Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

AB23 wrote:Damn, I used to like the old Linkin Park too hahahaha. Thank you for the kind words, Fix. I love the guys and I can't wait to see them tonight. But I would be remiss if I were to come here and put off some sort of fake enthusiasm over something that I didn't really enjoy. That's just not the way I roll. I think some people appreciate my honesty and many others want me to fuck off.

Which is why I made a thread dedicated to me getting told to fuck off.
Lol you are an interesting cat that's for sure

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

ARE YOU FINALAY LOSEEENG PASHUNS.

Mister Gold
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Mister Gold »

AB23 wrote:Well if that doesn't work out, I would recommend getting into a profession like journalism or law or anything editorial where you can showcase your writing.

just fyi.
Thanks, I'll be sure to keep that in mind! :rockon However I'm aiming to one day be the next David Lynch, so hopefully I won't need to switch professions. :lol
nagpo wrote:I agree with some of what you're saying. About them seemingly getting heavier - borderline metal but feeling forced to satiate their rock fans. I think the pushing of the metal aspect really comes from Mark. In almost every interview he says he tries to push the metal aspect more witch each band. But the problem is Myles voice - it is not a metal voice. He sings, not screams.

I fear if they ever push the metal button more it may cause some problems within the band.

And I also understand the continuous unsatisfactory feeling towards Elvis. At least in terms of mixing. If you told me this record had a bass player on it I would be surprised. Most of the space is layered in heavy guitar. Sometimes it feels more like noise than music.

But I still haven't finished the record. it's 5 am here. off to sleep again.
I actually disagree with you on this. Myles' voice works wonderfully on the heavier songs. Hell, the vocal melodies he whipped up on songs like The Writing on the Wall, Island of Fools or The Last Hero are quite reminiscent of something you'd hear from metal vocalists like Ronnie James Dio, Bruce Dickinson or Geoff Tate. I think that's especially the case on Island of Fools, where the chorus sounds eerily reminiscent of the epic, sweeping melody Tate uses in the final portions of Queensryche's song Screaming in Digital.

Also I'm not so sure that Mark is the only one pushing the band in this more metal direction. Those more progressive and heavier songs that I think represent where the band is heading in actually seem to come more from Myles. He's a huge fan of abnormal metal bands like Mastodon and Gojira, which shows big time on songs like Island of Fools and The Last Hero (songs that are both heavily credited towards him).

Mark certainly is a huge fan of metal and brings plenty of heavier songs to the mix, but I think he's also very conscious of trying to include songs for all fans. Wasn't he the one that made a big deal that The Last Hero had "something for everyone" when the band first started promoting the album at the listening party?

I can't say for sure who the guilty party is regarding my issue of the band trying to simultaneously move forward and stay in the past. It could be Mark, it could be Myles or it could even be Elvis (he was the one who didn't think they should have included Crows on a Wire on the album, after all). Or it could be all of 'em. But I don't know anyone in the band personally, so I have no way of knowing for sure on that regard.
"Do you believe in destiny?"

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

AB23 wrote:Thank you for the kind words, Fix. [..] I think some people appreciate my honesty and many others want me to fuck off.
You're welcome. ;) Staying honest and true to yourself (and others) is one of the most important things in life! Don't change man!

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

Arctic wrote:I was one of the people that gave in and downloaded the leak, so I've had time to give it quite a few listens.

Honestly, on my first listen, I was disappointed. It didn't have the same punch or clean sound like Fortress, which might be their best album. But after I listened more and more, I started to really love a lot of the songs. This Side of Fate, The Last Hero, Island of Fools, Twilight, Cradle To the Grave are all amazing songs. I feel like they are only getting better musically. However, I will say that this falls under Blackbird and Fortress for me. I hate ranking the albums, to me Alter Bridge sort of rotates between releasing 'great albums' and 'masterpieces.'

ODR - great album
Blackbird -masterpiece
ABIII - great album
Fortress - masterpiece

And TLH falls under the category of a great album, not quite measuring up to the likes of BB and Fortress. It's similar to ABIII for me, in that it has a chunk of really fantastic songs, even one or two epics, but then there are a few too many generic fillers. ABIII had Slip and WDTTW as the two epics, along with really good stuff like Ghosts and IKIH, The Last Hero is similar. This Side of Fate and The Last Hero are amazing, Island of Fools and Cradle are great, but then there are songs like Writing On the Wall, Losing Patience, Crows, and My Champion that are just completely forgettable.

Overall I'd give the album a solid 7.5/10, a really good album that is elevated by the sheer quality of its epics, but not as solid throughout as other records.

I skip 5 songs on Blackbird and honestly if it wasn't for the title song and Brand New Start it would easily be my least fav AB album

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

I have ODR as a solid start,BB the first real AB album and would give it an 8,ABIII i loved to pieces other than the production sounding a little muddy,Fortress a masterpiece and Last Hero their crowning jewel

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

Arctic wrote:I was one of the people that gave in and downloaded the leak, so I've had time to give it quite a few listens.

ODR - great album
Blackbird -masterpiece
ABIII - great album
Fortress - masterpiece

I skip 5 songs on Blackbird and honestly if it wasn't for the title song and Brand New Start it would easily be my least fav AB album