The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

Post by fix »

I'm probably still high of the first listen but I'm loving it!

Let me tell ya'll a short story...
So I was listening to the album, all was good and well. Lovin' it...
Twilight was ok, great melodies... Then the next track came and..

HOLY FEKKING SHITSTORM WTFBBQ IS THIS MYLES RIFF DOING TO MY FACE??!?!?!

So now I'm listening through The Last Hero with a numb face... wtf just happened...

Ashlee
Site Admin

Post by Ashlee »

AB23 wrote:I honestly wish they'd just keep it real and play what they record. Not too much production necessary.

The ODR sound is a more genuine sound that showcases each individual band member's talents. When you stack 3 Myles pitches on top of each other, I think you really take away the point of him being a great singer.
It would really be interesting to hear something raw, just as it was recorded. That kind of puts into perspective why I like ODR so much. I like to be able to compartmentalise what I'm hearing.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Ashlee why don't you think I'm pretty :/

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

AB23 wrote:Ashlee why don't you think I'm pretty :/
Maybe she thinks the fat kid in your old profile pic is you :lol

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Here is the problem I have with this record and the direction AB have been gravitating towards since 2013: since Fortress they have been prasing each record for being more ambitious, progressive, consisting of more journey-like tunes 'because our fans love songs which take them in unexpected directions' What we in fact get here, are at most 2 tunes like that (The title track and This Side of Fate) and the rest is, let's face it, pretty generic rock/metal tunes. I know AB are ain't progressive band but after having CoA and Fortress on the previous album, I was expecting to get at least 4-5 tunes like that on TLH. If you're are not gonna deliver stuff you are talking about before the release, just don't mention it. In my book, it's just another 'alright' type of record, definitely a good one in the spectrum of the entire AB's catalogue.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

AB4Lyfe wrote:
AB23 wrote:Ashlee why don't you think I'm pretty :/
Maybe she thinks the fat kid in your old profile pic is you :lol
... it is me

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Dolo wrote:Here is the problem I have with this record and the direction AB have been gravitating towards since 2013: since Fortress they have been prasing each record for being more ambitious, progressive, consisting of more journey-like tunes 'because our fans love songs which take them in unexpected directions' What we in fact get here, are at most 2 tunes like that (The title track and This Side of Fate) and the rest is, let's face it, pretty generic rock/metal tunes. I know AB are ain't progressive band but after having CoA and Fortress on the previous album, I was expecting to get at least 4-5 tunes like that on TLH. If you're are not gonna deliver stuff you are talking about before the release, just don't mention it. In my book, it's just another 'alright' type of record, definitely a good one in the spectrum of the entire AB's catalogue.

Interested in what you think of when you think "progressive."

I 100% agree by the way. I've said this a bunch, but when the band really puts forth an effort to make one of their "epics", they usually hit the nail on the head.

Their epics usually consist of 2 guitar solos (one from each), different structured songs, amazing anthemic chorus, and fantastic, metaphoric lyrics.

Alter Bridge, to me, is at it's best when it has one softer, Watch over you type song... 2 songs that are ~4 minutes in length (the radio singles), and then just fill the rest of the album with epics. Take your time, make a 10 album record with just epic after epic. I would absolutely adore that.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Dolo wrote: Interested in what you think of when you think "progressive."
It's tough to define. In the case of AB, it would be being rich song structure-wise, having gloomy, magic intros (like Calm the Fire), experimenting with 'extra-musical' (?) sounds (like bits of conversations, sea sounds, a lot of what Pink Floyd did on The Wall), making Flip buckle down to practising and being able to pull off more polyrhythmic type of grooves, exposing the bass a little bit more and letting Brian beef songs up with some low-register action.
Not necessarily 25-minute tunes, concept albums, super complex riffing (like Periphery). Just adding some substance to their music.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

This record is hard to digest. I'm looking back at my song ratings from my initial 1-3 listens and the more I listen to stuff, and find songs I rated lower stuck in my head and I'm humming them and singing lyrics, my ratings are going up. I think people should give it more time.

That said, I can hear the production issues some don't like.
Photobucket cash grab.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

It almost doesn't even feel like an album to me. Really hard to describe, but almost feels like an EP or something. Just like they got bored and decided to release a bunch of unreleased songs.

Mr.Vlado
Bought The CDs

Post by Mr.Vlado »

Wow, I am REALLY surprised to read so many negtive things about this album here.

I listened to the album a few times yesterday and today and all I have to say is that it is an absolute masterpiece in my opinion. I know that it's a matter of taste (of course) and I agree that the production is not the best, I also dont have to hear 3 Myles voices at the same time for instance, but I wonder why there is "so much hate" for songs like Writing on the Wall or Losing Patience. These songs arent my favorites as well, but for the weaker songs on the album they are incredible imo. :rockon

With This Side of Fate and The Last Hero and also kinda Cradle there are like 2-3 epic tracks on the album, then there is this great ballad YWBR, the heaviest AB song of all time, Island of Fools, the dark and outstanding The Other Side and the number 1 song on the album for the ABnation admins - Crows on a Wire.
These songs are really exceptional imo and I think it is just absolutely normal, that there are some other songs, which arent that great, but still decent. My least favorite track for instance is Twilight (I know, many people like it a lot), I cant get into it so far, but it is so well placed between Crows and Island, that it would never be a skip track for me.

Fortress had songs like Cry me a River or All Ends Well, which are considered as two of AB's weakest tracks and people love Fortress nevertheless. I think you have to give the album some time, many reviewers also stated that TLH is an absolute grower. But of course, I repeat it, it's a matter of taste! :)

If TLH tops Fortress for me personally is hard to say now, I have to give it some time and 200 listens more :D But I said the same about Fortress 3 years ago, and it is maybe my favorite album of all time now.

:mkrules :mtrocks :rockon

Electricladyland
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Electricladyland »

Chiming in. I live in California, Pacific Time, and Apple Music had the new albums being released today, including The Last Hero, available for subscriptioners to listen to in their entirety at 9pm Pacific, 12am Eastern. I gave TLH a few spins, and I'm about to write my own review soon.

AB23, sorry to hear your disappointment in the album. Maybe a few more listens, it'll grow on ya? There's lots of great stuff on this record!

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Electricladyland wrote:Chiming in. I live in California, Pacific Time, and Apple Music had the new albums being released today, including The Last Hero, available for subscriptioners to listen to in their entirety at 9pm Pacific, 12am Eastern. I gave TLH a few spins, and I'm about to write my own review soon.

AB23, sorry to hear your disappointment in the album. Maybe a few more listens, it'll grow on ya? There's lots of great stuff on this record!
And a lot of people (Best Buy people, I think) got theirs in the mail over the past 48 hours. Nice surprise by legally obtaining the album before it was set to be released. I wasn't trying to jab at anyone. This has just been a really hostile place lately, and I'm happy that now we can finally post our opinions of the album without repercussion.

Perhaps it will grow on me. But I just won't get my hopes up. It's not like there are certain parts of each song that bug me... it's the style of the music in general that I don't like. And I'm not too sure that grows on someone. I just think that my tastes in music, and AB's progression as a band are heading in polar opposite directions. But I understand that this is probably right down some people's alley.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Mr.Vlado wrote:Wow, I am REALLY surprised to read so many negtive things about this album here.
I totally agree with you! I love this record!
Though I agree with people here on the lack of dynamics, I think it will sink in once you hear it more and more.

I keep thinking that it would be cool to hear YWBR in the ODR style. A little more stripped down and deeper Myles voice would be cool I think.

And does no one hear a very similar riff to One By One in The Last Of Our Kind/Symphony Of Agony? I like that song as well, could be a Tremonti Project song though.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Mr.Vlado wrote:Wow, I am REALLY surprised to read so many negtive things about this album here.
You and me both brother

Electricladyland
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Electricladyland »

That's totally understandable bro! Your ears likes certain flavors, and some flavors are not for you. No one should be nagging on you (or anyone else) for that.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

fix wrote:
I totally agree with you! I love this record!
Though I agree with people here on the lack of dynamics, I think it will sink in once you hear it more and more.

I keep thinking that it would be cool to hear YWBR in the ODR style. A little more stripped down and deeper Myles voice would be cool I think.

And does no one hear a very similar riff to One By One in The Last Of Our Kind/Symphony Of Agony? I like that song as well, could be a Tremonti Project song though.
I wish. I love One by One. And admittedly, I don't think Last of our Kind is that bad of a song, tbh. I don't think it should be a b side (Losing Patience should DEFINITELY be a B side).

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

AB23 wrote:
Electricladyland wrote:
Perhaps it will grow on me. But I just won't get my hopes up. It's not like there are certain parts of each song that bug me... it's the style of the music in general that I don't like. And I'm not too sure that grows on someone. I just think that my tastes in music, and AB's progression as a band are heading in polar opposite directions. But I understand that this is probably right down some people's alley.
I think that's happened for a lot of people and they might not recognize it or don't want to because it's their favorite band. And I'm not talking about just with this release. It's been like that for awhile now.
Photobucket cash grab.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

What do you mean? As in, some people are beginning to recognize that the band is heading in a different direction than they want?

Because honestly, that opinion I stole from Jaded Rescue's farewell thread lol. It kind of opened my eyes, to be honest. Like, I think he's absolutely right. I didn't want to admit it, but the band is kind of growing apart from me. I just genuinely think the quality of music they are producing is declining. And it fucking pains me to say that, because this was a life changing band for me.

That got #real pretty quick.

FWIW, I love that some new people around here are coming on here and loving it. AB is still going to be someone else's favorite band because of this record. But I don't think I can tell you with a straight face that this album is good. I just don't think it is. It hurts my fucking heart to admit that.

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

Jim wrote:
You and me both brother

Add me I'm not understanding the hate,the dynamics sound the same if not better than Fortress def better than ABIII even though i love that album to.