The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
austin.
On The Rail

Re: The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

Post by austin. »

alrighty, it's midnight, I bought show tickets. Therefor I am entitled to the album on release day like everyone else... still no email.

Where's my copy of the album??? I'm ready.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Hot damn I'm finally back from my unjust and unfair 3 week ban...I have a lot of contempt for the moderation/admin team now but this is not the place for that (I wonder if this part of my post will get removed and get me banned again?) Kinda funny how no one noticed I was gone. Put things in perspective. So I will move on to the discussion at hand...

I got my record today early from Best Buy and have only heard about 8 songs. It's taking a while to listen to the entire thing because the album is so huge and complex I found myself needing to take a break to take the whole thing in. So I really can't review it in its entirety. First impressions? I like it, it seems to be the natural progression of Alter Bridge and Mark Tremonti in general. It borders on metal while still keeping in line with the liter aspects of rock and has plenty of experimental aspects to it from keeping it from being rote generic american rock music.

Lyrically I have been somewhat less enthused. Just in the words and rhymes...they haven't really surprised me with originality. But this may change with continued, more intense listens.

About the Best Buy release. I think I read some buy on here make a complaint about the holographic cover being cheap or something. Well, the cover is actually a sticker glued to the album. So you can just pull it off and now you'll notice you basically have a sticker which you can stick to the cover of the album by removing the white paper on the back.

Now that I actually have the album I like the art in a way. It has its charm in that it is so striking. People will notice this on the shelves.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

AB23 wrote:holy shit you were gone

Felypesh
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Felypesh »

Myles harmonizing before 'This Side Of Fate' solo is like the highest note he has ever recorded right? :wtf

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Felypesh wrote:Myles harmonizing before 'This Side Of Fate' solo is like the highest note he has ever recorded right? :wtf
haha no way. Absolutely no way.

I'd say that Myles has hit that note or higher on about 5 or 6 Mayfield 4 songs. Probably in WDTTW too.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I'm surprised you don't like the record honestly. I thought the regulars would be all over it

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

nagpo wrote:
I'm surprised you don't like the record honestly. I thought the regulars would be all over it
I feel like this is some sort of logical fallacy but I'm having trouble pinpointing the right word.

Non-sequitur maybe, idk. Formal logic was a long time ago for me.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

AB23 wrote:
nagpo wrote:
I feel like this is some sort of logical fallacy but I'm having trouble pinpointing the right word.

Non-sequitur maybe, idk. Formal logic was a long time ago for me.
wot

Lukeage
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Lukeage »

Is there any other way to get hold of "Breathe", or is it only on the Best Buy version of the album?

I heard the 1:00 clip on YouTube, it sounds amazing. I want to have the full song!! :(

I HATE "exclusives" why not just give everyone the same songs and keep everyone happy?!

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

the one I'm looking for is when the reasoning does not properly reach the conclusion. Think it's a non-sequitur. I forgot.

One of those ones. Idk how me being a regular would have to do with liking the album. I feel like my opinion of AB is pretty starkly contrast to many people's opinions here. I'm an oldie.

Felypesh
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Felypesh »

AB23 wrote:
Felypesh wrote:Myles harmonizing before 'This Side Of Fate' solo is like the highest note he has ever recorded right? :wtf
haha no way. Absolutely no way.

I'd say that Myles has hit that note or higher on about 5 or 6 Mayfield 4 songs. Probably in WDTTW too.
But I'm talking about the second voice not the main, listen again.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Kind of an underwhelming album if Im being completely honest. There are some really, REALLY amazing songs on here but at the same time, some of these tracks are my least favorites from AB ever. Losing Patience is literally just all of the hard rockers they've done but just mashed together, I've heard it before and it really has no lasting impact on me. I think the point that Monty made about them regressing is partially true. Lyrically, definitely, but musically, these guys are still on fire. TSOF, TLH, Island of Fools, Cradle to The Grave, YWBR, My Champion, all amazing to me musically. Makes me consider the fact that maybe the other project could be having an effect on them but they put out Fortress in the midst of all of that so I think that they're still capable but unfortunately another three years will have to pass for us to see what the can offer next time, not to sound ungrateful.
Fortress and ODR are my favorite albums from these guys, and i think thats because of the fact that they both shared the traits of having great lyrics, awesome music that didnt seem to be rehashed, and Myles' got to shine on both of those albums. Fortress showcased them going in a more progressive direction that I think they should have continued down. In no way does this mean I want them to be heavier. Calm the Fire, that song is a total masterpiece in my eyes, if not only for the intro and the absolutely awe inspiring vocals. Bleed it Dry was so great because while it was heavy, it completely did a 180 in the bridge and changed the direction and vibe completely. Lover also is one of the best things they've put out to this day, a great nod to MF4/ODR but a darker vibe througout. The lyrics in that song are so emotionally driven, and thats the side of AB I love.
Favorite songs: Cradle to the Grave, TSOF, TLH, YWBR, Island of Fools(thats a fucking juicy riff!)
Thanks Timo!

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

AB23 wrote:the one I'm looking for is when the reasoning does not properly reach the conclusion. Think it's a non-sequitur. I forgot.

One of those ones. Idk how me being a regular would have to do with liking the album. I feel like my opinion of AB is pretty starkly contrast to many people's opinions here. I'm an oldie.
Let me explain, I just figured most long time fans would like anything - which would explain why they are long time fans. It's a kind of nonsense statement but I was more so actually just trying to have a convo with you.
:shifty

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

AB23 wrote:the one I'm looking for is when the reasoning does not properly reach the conclusion. Think it's a non-sequitur. I forgot.

I don't think it is non-sequitur. That would be like if you were talking to a girl at a bar and she randomly comments on how her place is only a block away.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

You could've just said "hi" i'm a nice bloke.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

AB4Lyfe wrote:

I don't think it is non-sequitur. That would be like if you were talking to a girl at a bar and she randomly comments on how her place is only a block away.
Or when girls randomly say "I have mace in my pocket" heh they do that all the time amirite fellas

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

AB23 wrote:You could've just said "hi" i'm a nice bloke.
I wanted to make sure it was related to the topic

<.<

leadguitar_85
Brand New Start

Post by leadguitar_85 »

One listen through - this really saddens me. There is some really beautiful songwriting here...but it's buried beneath this fuzzy, muddy mountain of noise. Why? Why did anyone think it was a good idea to make it sound like this? There are some tracks that had the potential to be really, really great...but there is no nuance. There is no dynamic variance. There is no room for virtuosity - only noise. What an ugly coat for what could have been such a beautiful body of work.

Sad.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

leadguitar_85 wrote:One listen through - this really saddens me. There is some really beautiful songwriting here...but it's buried beneath this fuzzy, muddy mountain of noise. Why? Why did anyone think it was a good idea to make it sound like this? There are some tracks that had the potential to be really, really great...but there is no nuance. There is no dynamic variance. There is no room for virtuosity - only noise. What an ugly coat for what could have been such a beautiful body of work.

Sad.
Can you give examples, because I've said the same thing and I want to know if we're on the same wavelength here.

The build up in Writing on the Wall is one that just turns around and poops on your face when the chorus comes around. It's absolutely awful.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Well, less than 12 hours to go until I head to Best Buy and buy it. The beauty thing about AB's current popularity in the states is that I don't have to worry about the album selling out in the store too fast, to where I may miss out on buying it, but it won't certainly go unnoticed.