The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
AB23
Still Remains

Re: The Last Hero - AB Nation Discussion

Post by AB23 »

Thought it was a very average album. I, like many others, don't like the direction AB is going whatsoever.

Writing on the Wall and Losing Patience are really bad tunes man. I hate to say it, but I don't even think those are good songs relative to other rock music... never mind relative to other AB songs.

Obviously, like others, I think TLH and TSOF are the two best. AB never swings and misses on the epics.

Crows on a Wire and Island of Fools are pretty good.

Other than that, nothing stands out at all whatsoever. Pretty disappointed. Seems like whenever they get together and rush an album (like ABIII), the quality is just not as good or the direction they take is not good.

I think I'm kind of having a falling out with AB if they don't hit on #6. Just not really the same band that I fell in love with from 2005-2009 at all. Love the guys to death, but it isn't the same band. To many people that is a great thing. To me, it isn't because you could give me an album full of more Blackbird and ODR songs (as well as some epics like Achilles and Fortress) and it would be my favorite AB album. Instead, they keep trying to get heavier and creepier, and I just... to be frank, I fucking hate it. The direction suits many people. The head bangers and the up-tempo metal fans love it. I really despise it. I sincerely hope that they make note of this.

What I didn't understand was, from the LP, almost every review said "don't worry. This band has something for EVERYONE. It pulls from all 4 albums." But I couldn't disagree with that sentiment more. To me, this is just a step further in the "heavy" and "dark" direction ABIII took. I don't hear ODR or Blackbird (except Breathe and My Champion... I guess). I hear ABIII. And while that may be cool with a lot, I don't like it.

That's my completely honest review. Hope no one takes offense.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Yeah, in hindsight, I should have just avoided any reviews, previews, singles, etc. like I did with Fortress. Looking at reviews from AHart and AB23 is bumming me out a bit in terms of anticipation.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

That's just my opinion man. I know for a fact that tons of people will love it.

I fell in love with the ODR and Blackbird Alter Bridge. This album seems to be step towards ABIII. And that is, by far, my least favorite album. If you liked ABIII, you'll like this. I hated ABIII and I don't like that I feel like they regressed towards that direction (imo). The direction AB seems to be going is not in line with the direction my musical tastes seem to be going. So I'm having some sort of disconnect with them.

When people say "this album has something for everyone", I really, realllllllly disagree with that thought. That's all.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

anguyen92 wrote:Yeah, in hindsight, I should have just avoided any reviews, previews, singles, etc. like I did with Fortress. Looking at reviews from AHart and AB23 is bumming me out a bit in terms of anticipation.
I don't want to bum you out Kev. Like I said, I do not think it was a bad album at all. It was good, but not great. Fortress is by far my favorite album ever and I love AB III, but objectively I don't feel like it followed the trend of improving on every release. I hope you enjoy it bud!
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

Ashlee
Site Admin

Post by Ashlee »

anguyen92 wrote:Yeah, in hindsight, I should have just avoided any reviews, previews, singles, etc. like I did with Fortress. Looking at reviews from AHart and AB23 is bumming me out a bit in terms of anticipation.
FWIW - AB III is my least favorite Alter Bridge album (read: HATED it) and I love The Last Hero.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I can't even distinguish some of the songs from some of the ABIII songs, honestly.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Track Rankings
14. Show Me A Leader
13. My Champion
12. You Will Be Remembered
11. Poison In Your Veins
10. Twilight
9. The Writing On The Wall
8. Crows On A Wire
7. Losing Patience
6. Symphony of Agony
5. Island Of Fools
4. Cradle To The Grave
3. The Other Side
2. This Side Of Fate
1. The Last Hero

Solo Rankings (Categorized Per Person)
10. My Champion (Mark) = 3:03-3:35
9. Poison In Your Veins (Mark) = 2:54-3:24
8. You Will Be Remembered (Mark) = 4:02-4:27
7. Show Me A Leader (Mark) = 3:32-4:03
6. Symphony of Agony (Mark) = 4:27-5:06
5. Twilight (Mark) = 2:58-3:29
4. Cradle To The Grave (Mark) = 3:37-4:02
3. Island of Fools (Mark) = 4:13-4:47
2. This Side Of Fate (Mark) = 5:55-6:35
1. The Last Hero (Mark) = 5:43-6:12

6. Island of Fools (Myles) = 2:56-3:10
5. The Writing On The Wall (Myles) = 3:15-3:30
4. Crows On A Wire (Mark) = 2:39-3:00
3. Show Me A Leader (Myles) = 0:47-1:17
2. This Side Of Fate (Myles) = 4:32-5:00
1. The Last Hero (Myles) = 3:33-4:12

Favorite Instrumental Sections Per Song
Show Me A Leader = 0:00-1:20
The Writing on the Wall = 3:18-3:30
The Other Side = 0:00-1:10
My Champion = 0:00-0:34
Poison In Your Veins =0:00-0:30
Cradle To The Grave = 3:13-3:25
Losing Patience = 0:00-0:31
This Side of Fate = 4:35-5:00
You Will Be Remembered = 0:00-0:12
Crows On A Wire = 2:30-3:00
Twilight = 3:00-3:30
Island of Fools = 0:00-0:43
The Last Hero = 3:34-4:17
Symphony of Agony = 3:46-4:05

FAVE - LEAST FAVE VOCAL PERFORMANCES (MELODIES COUNT IN MY RANKING
1. This Side Of Fate
2. The Last Hero
3. The Other Side
4. You Will Be Remembered
5. Cradle To The Grave
6. Twilight
7. Symphony of Agony
8. Island of Fools
9. My Champion
10. The Writing On The Wall
11. Losing Patience
12. Poison In Your Veins
13. Crows On A Wire
14. Show Me A Leader

FAVORITE LYRICS & VOCAL MELODY PER SONG
Show Me A Leader (Chorus)
Show me a leader that
Won’t compromise
Show me a leader so
Hope never dies
The Writing On The Wall (Chorus)
And the Writing’s on the wall
That the end will begin
Still you do nothing at all
And keep denying the greatest sin
The Other Side (Chorus)
If you believe yours is the only way
Then you’re the fool who lives to die
Will you deserve the Hell you’re gonna pay?
On The Other Side
Once you reach The Other Side
Once you reach The Other Side
My Champion (Chorus)
Sometimes you fall before you rise
Sometimes you lose it all to find
You've gotta keep fighting
And get back up again
My Champion
Poison In Your Veins (Chorus)
It’s like poison in your veins
Oh it’s the beast you cannot tame
The way you let your fear burrow inside
Will chew you up and spit you out in time
Release the poison in your veins right now
Right now oh
Cradle To The Grave (Chorus)
From The Cradle To The Grave
It’s a fear I can’t escape
Who'll be my hiding place
When you’re gone?
Losing Patience (Chorus)
Are you finally Losing Patience?
May you rise your time has come
May you fight for what’s been taken
Find your strength when there is none
Oh
This Side of Fate (Chorus)
This Side of Fate
It’s blind
The choice has been made
It is time
You Will Be Remembered (Chorus)
For the one’s who sacrificed it all
We will sing
Who stood so we could never fall
We will sing
You will always be a hero
And we will sing
Crows On A Wire (Bridge)
There will come a time
When all they give they will steal
They have you think you were fine
Know that none of it’s real
Twilight (Intro)
The world has gone mad
The future is so unclear
Where do we stand
It feels like the end is near
I remember all the things you said
And what would come to be
A prophet of the future now
That future is reality
Island of Fools (Chorus)
Just save yourself!
There is nothing to hide but the truth
There is no one else here beside you
Please save yourself
Because you don't have a moment to lose
In time we’ll tell if you're meant to survive on your own!
The Last Hero (Bridge)
Build them up to tear them down
What we’ve done I’m far from proud
Chew ‘em up!
Spit ‘em out!
In the end!
Who’ll save us now?
Symphony of Agony (Bridge)
There can be no compromise
When you know it’s wrong
Cause in the end the sacrifice
Was worthless all along
MISC. COMMENTS
Lyrics: 6.5/10
Instrumentals: 8/10
Vocals: 8/10
Length: 10/10
Production: 7/10
Total: 39.5/50 (7.9/10)
+ I personally feel like they took a lot more chances musically and structure-wise on this album than any previous one
- I wish Mark had some lead vocals on this one :/
- I wish Mark’s harmonies were higher in the mix than they were
+ Myles seemed to have a much bigger contribution to this album than any previous one, IMO.
- Myles or Elvis still need to work on the enunciation of Myles’ words sometimes.
+ Myles also seemed to be more loose with his lyrics this time around. Not so tame.
- Wish I could hear BMarsh higher in the mix as usual. Dude doesn’t get to shine.
+ Flips drumming was also pretty decent throughout.
- Myles vocals weren’t varied enough on this album. Not enough different vocal tones or higher & lower notes and registers.
- Guitars weren’t as in your face as they were in previous records. They were too muddied in the mix.

Overall I give The Last Hero a grade C as an album.

Track-By-Track Thoughts (NOT VERY MUSICALLY ARTICULATED IN MY VOCAB OR DESCRIPTIONS
Show Me A Leader: Love the intro to this song. It’s definitely one of the better album openers they’ve done. I like how they chose to open with a Myles solo. It’s classic Myles vibrato and style. Then the palm-muted riff kicks in. When I first heard this song I thought that riff sounded so weird. I don’t really like this pre-chorus, personally. Easily one of the worst on the album. The No’s are majorly to blame here. Chorus is very catchy but just not one I find myself still liking after a dozen listens :lol Marks solo sounds too much like The Cage to really be amazed by it. (5/10)

The Writing on the Wall: Intro to this song makes me think of marching for some reason. Interesting vocals from Myles over the intro. Nice vocal melody in pretty much everything in this song. Verses and Chorus’ a very catchy. This could totally be a single for this album. Instrumentally, it’s not too different than Farther Than The Sun, but it’s a very upbeat and fun song to keep in time to while head bobbing :lol like the extra vocal layering in the background from Myles in the bridge before he does his solo. His solo was decent for what he’s known to do. Rest of the song is pretty standard format. (7/10)

The Other Side: This track has one of the best intros on the record. Eerie vocals followed by dark, doomy riff with a slow pace to start that quickly finds its pace. Very eerie vocals from Myles in the verse. Followed by higher vocals in the pre-chorus. The chorus in this song is probably my favorite on this record all-round (instrumentally, lyrically, and vocally) Myles is a savage with the lyrics in this song. Dude didn’t hold back with the message :lol The bridge was super eerie and doomy at the same time. Loved Myles’ vocal delivery in it. One of the few songs I actually thought benefited from not having a solo. (9/10)

My Champion: Intro has a nice pattern to it before the recurring speedy lick kicks in. Myles’ voice sound soothing and reassuring in the verses. Pre-chorus and chorus have a nice melody to them. Lyrics are a bit cliche but given the amount of motivational songs they’ve wrote I don’t blame them. Bridge is a welcomed departure from the song (even if it still relatively sounds the same). Mark has a decent solo. Back to the chorus :/ I kind of feel like this song starts to drag on a bit near the end. (6/10)

Poison In Your Veins: Intro has a good upbeat rock riff. Myles comes in with the classic vocal delivery. Again, can’t complain about the melody. The chorus has a ‘fun’ vibe to me. I like how this song maintains the energy level pretty much the whole way through. The bridge being the most different sounding part of the song is pretty expected. Good solo. (7/10)

Cradle To The Grave: Nice use of the volume knob trick again. Great beat to the intro riff, nice to hear some acoustics again. Myles’ voice in the verses is so relaxing. Big chorus. Great melody as usual. You can hear Myles really sing that bridge out with some emotion. That riff though <3. Trademark Tremonti solo followed by that riff again <3 Song structure was pretty basic but the song still had a lot of amazing stuff in it. Great outro. (9/10)

Losing Patience: I can hear where Alex made that comparison to a swarm of bees. I had to check my surroundings when this riff played for bees too :p Vocal effects on Myles’ voice in the verse was done tastefully. Pre-chorus and chorus are average AB. still hear the bees in the recurring riff :lol It’s a fun upbeat song with a nice message, bridge was pretty basic AB, but LP is probably somewhere in the middle of the album ranks for me. Thought maybe it could have benefited from a solo. (8/10)

This Side of Fate: Love the intro guitars before the riff kicks in. Intro riff has a very ‘dreamy’ feel to it. Nice verse vocals and melody from Myles. The chorus is huge! very memorable. Nice bluesy lick from Myles? Back to the verse, and then the big chorus :) Then that awesome bridge riff came out of nowhere :lol Semi-haunting vocals from Myles followed by more awesome riffage and soaring vocals from Myles. Myles comes back with some tender vocals that build up to the most epic sounding high note-slash-solo intro I’ve heard. Myles solos with such passion and power here. Easily one of my fave on the record <3 Back to the chorus. Can really hear the desperation in Myles’ voice before Mark comes in with a nice outro solo. (10/10)

You Will Be Remembered: Nice to hear some more acoustics on this record again. Myles’ voice is very heartfelt and powerful in the verses. Refreshing after the other vocals he’s displayed so far. The pre-chorus and chorus have an easy sing-along melody and vibe to them. One of my favorite choruses on this record melodically speaking. Marks backing vocals really shine through on this track opposed to the rest of the album. Abnormally, I feel like this bridge is my least favorite part of the song, but it’s still a good bridge nonetheless. Beautiful outro solo by Mark. (7/10)

Crows On A Wire: Kickass intro. The combination of the riff under the verse and it’s melody fits very nice. A little editing spice for Myles’ vocals at the end of the verses is nice for a change. Chorus is very catchy. This sounds like it could be single material. Honestly, this solo confused me at first. Thought it could be Mark, then thought maybe Myles because it just sounded like it, then Mark again. But knowing it’s Myles now is nice :p WTF. Good bridge melody. Back to the choruses. Nice upbeat outro. (7/10)

Twilight: Beautiful intro. Like the guitar line copying the melody. Myles’ vocals in the verses are good. Again, always nice to hear Mark in the background for a change :) Like the pre-chorus. Chorus is nothing we’re not used to. Nice vocals from Myles in the bridge. Decent solo from Mark once again. The riff that follows was sweet but short :/ More choruses :| Ended on a good note. (8/10)

Island of Fools: The intro kicks in and I find myself already bobbing my head :lol Very heavy main intro riff with nice movement. Loved the fact it was a Myles riff. Verse melody is nice. The chorus is such a fun one to sing along to, IMO. Very good melody. Back to the heavy verses. The guitar work is just so good on this song. All the riffs in this song sound so huge. Myles has a very short but sweet solo in the bridge, Wish it was a bit longer. The chorus is one I could never get tired of singing in time with them :lol Mark has a serious blistering solo at the end! One of my favorites from him on the record. (9/10)

The Last Hero: I like how this song pretty much starts and ends with vocals. Seemed pretty different just by that alone. That recurring riff is a serious rocker. The song has a very fast pace to it, constantly dragging you along on this epic ride. The Chorus is huge! I really like the chorus’ on this record, but this one seems to be my favorite. More awesome riffage. Back to the laid-back verse for a short while. Really enjoy the song lyrically so far. On to the bridge. Very upbeat riffage and vocal delivery. Myles comes in with perhaps the best solo on the record. period. And then only one thing could follow that: Some serious headbanging from that amazing riff and vocal melody. another laid back verse and chorus before Marks turn to shine on the guitar. Like the extra lead shreds at the end. Outro is very much like Cry of Achilles’ to me. (10/10)

Symphony of Agony: Like the way the guitar sounds at the start of the song before the main riff kicks in. The main riff in this song is one of my favorites on the record. The first verse sounds very eerie with Myles’ vocals and the quieter main riff in the background. The pre-chorus has some unnecessary echo’s, IMO. The chorus has a nice melody as usual. The bridge is probably my favorite part of the song both instrumentally, vocally, lyrically, and melodically speaking. The riff that follows it is classic Tremonti heaviness. Kind of has a Still Remains part 2 vibe to it. Back to the chorus. Followed by a good Mark solo. One of my personal favorites from him on the record. (9/10)
Total: 111/140 (79%)
Noticing The Little Things On The Last Hero
- Those higher pitched guitar lines in the mix of Crows’ chorus @1:12-1:17
- The long drone in the mix of the pre-chorus in Symphony of Agony @1:00-1:15
- Marks backing vocal “HEY” in the mix of The Other Side’s chorus @1:45-1:48
- Myles’ backing vocalizations in the outro of The Writing On The Wall @4:10-4:27
- The higher pitched guitars in the mix of Cradle @0:53-0:59 & @1:59-2:05
- The higher pitched guitars in the mix of Losing Patience @2:55-3:10
- Myles’ backing vocal “it’s your own” in Losing Patience @3:41ish
- Myles does the same high note in the mix of TSOF as he does in the foreground @4:34, whether it was the same take and layered or different takes is up for interpretation.
- The high pitched guitar in the mix of the intro to You Will Be Remembered @0:27-0:53
Last edited by SHEAKENBAKEN on Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

oh gawd

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

I don't think I was prepared for that.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

I read the whole thing that wasn't "spoiler-ish" (like lyrics or time when solos kicked in). Good review, and really just goes to show that there are differences of opinions.

I don't get to hear this for about another 14.5 hours though, still...

dFhimz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by dFhimz »

I have to disagree with AB23 but I think it's mainly because of subjectivity. TLH to me is their best album by a mile. Only thing it's missing for me is a true ballad that they are known for. These speak to me. But otherwise, my brother and I listened to it and for us we agree with the reviews that say this is one of the best records in YEARS by ANY rock group. I might do a track by track review later but all I gotta say is This Side of Fate? Hands down my favorite AB song ever. Blackbird will forever be legendary but this song takes you on an insane adventure and that whole middle section where the song totally changes is pure genius. So. So. Good. I might start a This Side of Fate appreciation thread, I love it that much.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Damn. I definitely don't think it's on THAT level. Of all of AB's epics, I'd probably say it ranks last for me.

TLH reminds me a lot of Achilles though. Chorus kind of gave me that feeling. Definitely liked the beginning of Achilles better though.

I would probably say that, on Fortress alone, there were at least 3, at most 5 songs better than any single song on The Last Hero. Really, really hate this direction AB decided to go in. Definitely feels like more of a regression to me.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I love the vocal change for the final chorus of This Side of Fate, like he's resigned to what's coming, it makes "the choice has been made, it is time" more poignant. It was my favourite track on the first listen but it's been switching between that, Island of Fools and The Last Hero since.

Also going to give more love to Writing on the Wall as I think it deserves it, belter of a song.
For all of the hope that it brings...

mradu1960
Brand New Start

Post by mradu1960 »

Looks like I'm in the minority here so far, but I'll go with what I feel anyway. I'm not going to condemn, argue against or criticize anyone's opinions of TLH, I'm just going to give MY feelings:

Show Me A Leader: Excellent album opener and a rocker throughout.
RATING: 9/10

The Writing On The Wall: Picks right up where SMAL ends with a rocking sound throughout. Love the vocals on this one (not to mention the "boings" in the background)...super cool.
RATING: 8.5/10

The Other Side: Very dark and took me quite a few listens to get into this one. Very cool song that screams more "Tremonti" to me, than AB.
RATING: 7.5/10

My Champion: Man, if this were the late '70's or '80's, rock radio would be ALL OVER this one. Maybe a bit cheesy for some folks, but I LOVE IT!!!!!!! Very uplifting.
RATING: 10/10

Poison In Your Veins: Another fantastic rocker. Should be a LIVE classic!

Cradle To The Grave: Great lyrics, cool melody. Excellent song.
RATING: 7.5/10

Losing Patience: This to me has more of a "Slash w MK" feel to it. Another cool rocker!
RATING: 8/10

This Side Of Fate: My "least favorite" song on the disc, but it still has some magical moments.
RATING: 7/10

You Will Be Remembered: Great melody, love the heartfelt lyrics and glad it wasn't turned into a mushfest.

Crows On A Wire: My second favorite track on the disc. Just a wonderful rock song. Hope to see it in the live set.
RATING: 9.5/10

Twilight: Add another kickin' rock song with a cool solo in it. At first listen I was "meh". but from 2nd listen on, loved it.

Island of Fools: Awesome riff and if I can steal from another reviewer, my exact thoughts were
"Ties That Bind" on steroids. The solo on this one is so awesome. My 3rd favorite on disc.

The Last Hero: Epic way to end the disc (before bonus tracks). Love the vocals so much!

The Last Of Our Kind: How was THIS considered a bonus track? Simply amazing song (although I think it should have been called "Symphony of Agony")! :P Love the chorus. Just a killer song and #4 of my favorites.

Breathe: Love the song and it sounds definitely from something that SHOULD HAVE been released on ODR!

FINAL RATING: 8.5/10 And THAT seems a bit LOW for how I feel about this album!

Song Rankings:
1. My Champion
2. Crows On A Wire
3. Island of Fools
4. The Last Of Our Kind
5. Poison In Your Veins
6. Show Me A Leader
7. The Writing On The Wall
8. You Will Be Remembered
9. Losing Patience
10. Cradle To The Grave
11. Twilight
12. The Last Hero
13. The Other Side
14. This Side Of Fate
*Did not include "Breathe" since it is really NOT a TLH song.

Updated Alter Bridge Album Rankings:
1. One Day Remains 10/10
2. Blackbird 9/10
3. The Last Hero 8.5/10*
4. Fortress 8.5/10*
5. AB III 8/10
*Tie

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

DANG!!! That's really interesting that you had one of the epics as your least favorite.

Hope you stick around and hope you feel comfortable posting WHATEVER opinion you have about the band without fearing hostile repercussion.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

mradu1960 wrote:Island of Fools: Awesome riff and if I can steal from another reviewer, my exact thoughts were "Ties That Bind" on steroids
I coin the phrase, but you may borrow it. You're welcome ;)
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Island of Fools, tho!!!!!!!!!

Yes, that is my review.

alterchris
TABN.com Citizen

Post by alterchris »

I liked the Last Hero better than This Side of Fate but neither song really did anything for me. I'd easily rank this album last behind the previous four. I really like a handful of songs, but the rest are either average or do nothing for me at all.

In my opinion I think some of the melodies are just downright bad, and it hurts me to say that because AB is far and away my favorite band. Overall, I just don't like the direction AB went with this record.

Like they say, different strokes for different folks I guess.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

alterchris wrote:I liked the Last Hero better than This Side of Fate but neither song really did anything for me. I'd easily rank this album last behind the previous four. I really like a handful of songs, but the rest are either average or do nothing for me at all.

In my opinion I think some of the melodies are just downright bad, and it hurts me to say that because AB is far and away my favorite band. Overall, I just don't like the direction AB went with this record.

Like they say, different strokes for different folks I guess.
Ya, the way they took the choruses of Losing Patience and Writing on the Wall personify this opinion so perfectly. Some of the worst choruses I think AB has. And I thought Show me a Leader was disappointing... Writing on the Wall may be a bottom 3 least fav song for me. And the lyrics are fine. That just shows how bad I think the music is, haha.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

AB4Lyfe wrote:Island of Fools, tho!!!!!!!!!

Yes, that is my review.
10/10

would read again...

oh wait I just did while typing this :P :lol