"The Last Hero" Media Review Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: "The Last Hero" Media Review Thread

Post by Ubik »

"3 seven minute songs"? uwotm8?
For all of the hope that it brings...

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Right. There are exactly zero 7 minute songs, and only 2 songs over 6 minutes, but why does a review need to be factually accurate when you have an opinion to sell?
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

http://www.worshipmetal.com/album-of-th ... last-hero/
There is nothing that engages the mainstream rock consciousness quite like heavy-ass guitar, bass and drums all singing to the same tune as an amazing vocalist….and that is possibly the one cast-iron explanation behind the incredible success of Florida’s Alter Bridge. One only needs to look at the #6 billboard peak of their last album, Fortress – and the calibre of venue booked for their upcoming tour – to see the kind of business these boys continue to do ahead of the release of this, their fifth opus; The Last Hero.

The evolution of Alter Bridge is not particularly easy to chart. After all, on release of their first album they already boasted world-class chops. Myles Kennedy was already considered one of the best rock voices of his generation while Mark Tremonti, going at full tilt, punched a similar weight as the likes of John Petrucci and Paul Gilbert. The latter was never more evident than when Guitarist Magazine voted the solo in “Blackbird” as the greatest of all time and drove interest in the band to fever pitch ahead of their third, some say best album, ABIII. But such a career trajectory begs the question: by outing number five, what do they have left to say?

Well, it’s clear events on the world stage have had an impact on the lyrics this time around. On the opening track – to the sound of the kind of detuned, churning guitars that have defined their sound – Kennedy demands, “Show me a leader who won’t compromise,” before the second cut picks up similar claims that time is running out, all backed by the portent chiming of bells to reinforce the gravity of the situation.

Indeed we are hit hard and repeatedly with the vocal and instrumental histrionics that we have come to expect from Alter Bridge, but the craft of their songwriting continues to become ever more sophisticated. The Last Hero contains several potential singles and tunes such as “This Side of Fate” boast moments of almost Physical Graffiti-esque vastness akin to finding yourself on a desert highway at midnight in the throes of some bittersweet personal revelation. Suffice to say, everything is big. Very big!

Of course, guitar players the world over will, no doubt, rejoice in yet another incredible display from Mark Tremonti. His modal knowledge and note choice is always impressive but at times – such as on the impassioned lead in “Poison In Your Veins” – he produces moments that rank among his best work. Sure, there are more restrained moments on the album where Alter Bridge nudge towards bluesy hard rock that bears uncomfortable commonalities with Nickelback et al. (“My Champion”, “You Will Be Remembered”) but it only takes the aural smelling salts of another drilling Tremonti riff and you’re right back with your horns jammed skyward!

Alter Bridge’s business plan with The Last Hero appears to be a piece of paper with ‘like before but more so’, scrawled on it. We are talking heavy-ass riffage topped-off with soaring, life-affirming vocals that could (and probably will) ignite stadiums. Of course, the pertinent question is does The Last Hero do anything that their previous albums didn’t? Short of edging the grandeur of the whole thing up a notch the answer is not really and if you didn’t dig Alter Bridge before, you still won’t. But for us, this is what it’s all about; melodic, heavy music made for adults.

Five albums in and Alter Bridge are still an undeniably stirring proposition. 8/10.

Lotha
Colloquial

I'm still worried about this

Post by Lotha »

Alter Bridge’s business plan with The Last Hero appears to be a piece of paper with ‘like before but more so’, scrawled on it. Of course, the pertinent question is does The Last Hero do anything that their previous albums didn’t? Short of edging the grandeur of the whole thing up a notch the answer is not really
:/
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

^ Yes. It does.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

I actually dig that quote (which paraphrases one of the many great quotes from Casablanca). I love where Alter Bridge went with Fortress, so building on that sounds like a great thing.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

http://www.radiometal.com/article/alter ... ero,227071

TRANSLATED
In the three years since the release of Fortress, the two pillars of Alter Bridge, namely guitarist Myles Kennedy, singer and guitarist Mark Tremonti, made things! The first, obviously, to Slash sides on both touring and in the studio, delivering a World On Fire (2014) hearty, but slowly but surely preparing a solo album which should no longer delay. The second by having discovered a soul frontman , taking the reins of a solo group on designing routes and no less than two albums 'twins', Cauterize (2015) and Dust (2016), went out to a little less one year apart. It is even surprising that the two were able to still have enough creative juices to engage without dead time on a fifth album of Alter Bridge. The truth is that these solid experience of success made them grow up, gave them more confidence and galvanized.

The Last Hero is a tribute to the heroes, taking its source from the frustration of a world shortage of great leaders and nobles, crystallized by the single and opening track "Show Me A Leader." Alter Bridge had a statement to make, and touching a political field even protest, which only gives it more grip and consistency. "Show Me A Leader" is at once a song that requires a voltage with its introduction, before we take its catchy rhythm and electrifying atmosphere, cut to lift the crowds with its "oh oh". A song that lays the foundation for an album that wants powerful and dynamic. "I think I managed to convince the other guys with whom I play the heavy is cool [laughs]," explained Tremonti us about trajectory was taking Alter Bridge, "initially they were not very open but now the more we do it the more they enjoy! "And The Last Hero is one more step in that direction, perhaps a consequence / direct continuation of his last works in solo, as songs like" The Writing On The Wall "," Poison In Your Veins "," Crows On A Wire, "" Island Of Fools ", etc. are nourished by that love of metal and massive riff, sometimes flirting with the big stoner - enjoying to look up the guitar and new seven-string tunings.

But we can not sum up the album at his own metallic elk, yet very present, because the group has understood that to maintain the effect of intensity, it was also calm the knowledge and variety. It is in this light that we find a somewhat melancholic side or disillusioned, but no less powerful, in "Cradle To The Grave" or a more progressive alternative to "This Side Of Fate" that makes us go through all a range of emotions, while "the Other Side" burdened and darkened even more the atmosphere. One can regret that in the most raised and songs full of good feelings that are "My Champion" and "You Will Be Remembered" Alter Bridge reaches not completely extricate radio rock melodies too agreed. Although the quality of interpretation and understanding grows in perspective, they are two small diet cuts, which some deem dispensable anything not unpleasant, in the album.

The Last Hero, Alter Bridge gets a new dimension, "heroic" - to stay in the theme - at times ( "Show Me A Leader," "Poison In Your Veins", "This Side Of Fate"). And the symbiosis between Tremonti and Kennedy is undoubtedly to many, both in terms of burning guitars, the second proving to be much more than exceptional singer ( Lacuna Coil did was not wrong by inviting do a solo on his latest album), that voice, the first, which conversely has revealed singer more than capable, with some character, brings a lot of consistency harmonies. So the result is a generous album, groomed, radiant, full of hits and riffings that go to our heads ... "Show me a leader" sings Alter Bridge? Exactly, The Last Hero is perhaps the first album where the quartet actually imposes leader.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

http://ultrarock.free.fr/chroniques2016 ... dge_16.htm

TRANSLATED:
In twelve years, ALTER BRIDGE has become a sure value of the metal scene. Their album "Fortness" released in 2013, with its melodic eventually conquer the world. The vocal abilities of Myles Kennedy work wonders go perfectly with Mark Tremonti acknowledged guitarist. Or perhaps is it the opposite? Hard to say because the guys working together since their debut, not to mention Brian Marshall on bass and Scott Phillips on drums.

And when they are not busy with the group they are working on other projects. Solo for Mark, who released two albums in no time, Cauterize (2015) and Dust (2016), which also makes us enjoy his talents on the mic. With Slash and the Conspirators for Myles who has since become their official singer. 2015 was a year off to ALTER BRIDGE, which gave everyone time to run concert halls and festivals, and to defend the colors of their side projects. All this activity has not forgotten them and wait patiently.

So when the American quartet announced the release of a new effort, there are people to do their heels. Their fifth album, "The Last Hero", will save you on 7 October. The world goes wrong, then ended the prayers! Place the most committed lyrics that touch on sensitive issues such as the general dissatisfaction in our society today with "Show Me A Leader" or global warming with "The Writing On The Wall". And when words and music are on the same wavelength, it gives "My Champion". Sure, ALTER BRIDGE is invisible as an outsider and did not hesitate to make its voice heard loud and clear.

The first part of the album is full of energy: the captivating "Cradle To The Grave" to the haunting "Losing Patience", through the catchy "Poison In Your Veins" and his incredible solo, you visit the different facets of the group, discovered in the course of their albums. For the first time, they used a seven-string guitar, bringing a more powerful and deep rhythmic as in "The Other Side" and "Crows On A Wire". Fingertips, Myles and Mark increase the pressure.

With the ballad "You Will be Remembered" while acoustic, and "This Side of Fate", pulling the progressive, opens a second part of less impressive album at first listen, but not least eventually. You surely hesitate to spend more black ALTER BRIDGE side, with tracks like "Twilight" and "Island of Fools." But Myles is still as impressive as lyricist and Tremonster still wreaking havoc. As on the previous album, the title track "The Last Hero" bringing up the rear.
So come and discover "The Last Hero" and you will surely find your superhero!

My TOP 5: My Champion, Cradle To The Grave, Losing Patience, Poison In Your Veins, Show Me a Leader

"It's good to be back in the battle Alter Bridge. Each time we make a record, I remember how great it is to have this passionate and faithful public. We do not take the lightly. We consider it an honor that people let us into their lives this way "~ Myles Kennedy

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

http://roadtometal.com.br/2016/09/alter ... -soar.html

TRANSLATED
Founded in 2004, the North American group soon gained notoriety in his debut, "One Day Remais" highlighting vocalist Myles Kennedy, who also gained visibility in the solo band of guitarist Slash, and the riffs of Mark Tremonti, always footprint and melody .
Since then comes a growing, always getting significant results, and now new debut record label, the independent label Napalm Records, which certainly brought more freedom to the quartet, and this is reflected in this new work, "The Last Hero", the fifth of band, which has its release scheduled for October 7.

In "The Last Hero", where the group explains that there is a recurring theme, which pay tribute, and also talk about the need for heroes and leaders in a complex world. As said before, this shift to an independent record label seems to have done very well to the group, because usually there is more freedom for the artist, and the band never called me more attention, this new album I reviewed my concept, because the guys are a powerful, heavy sound in a modern and catchy Hard Rock.

Weight, catchy melodies and the footprint can be felt already with the opening "Show to me Leader" in a heavy, led by guitar introduction that descends on a swing with groove and weight, with a lot of melody and sticky chorus, a hit certainly; feel the weight of the guitars and the kitchen, which "soca" the speakers unmercifully, the sound mass of tracks like "The Writing on the Wall" and "The Other Side", and "Losing Patience", which switches very well the sound of the guitars mass with weight and catchy tunes, and to talk about the ass kicking of "Crows on a Wire" and its very heavy riffs? Positive example of how sound "heavy and modern."

The Alter Bridge showed great ability to create good and catchy tunes, squandering energy throughout the album, and in addition to songs with a lot of weight and force, there is room for more shopping and nice rocks, such as "My Champion", for example; "Cradle to the Grave" and its most half-time progress, more melodious, a "Power Ballad" line, those that the base follows and melodic and grows in the chorus; The title track, "The Last Hero", closes with excellence, bringing great vocals, alternating weight and melody, nervous and vibrant. Take a balcony in weight there for four minutes and a half of it, and at the end.

The band was not afraid to sit hand in a vibrant, varied album, with weight, groove and catchy melodies. Certainly an album that will please the fans and win new fans.
"feel the weight of the guitars and the kitchen" :lol
"Take a balcony in weight there for four minutes and a half of it." :lol

This reviewer really likes sections of houses and their weight. :lol

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

That was a weighty review!

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Wasn't sure if this counted as a Media Review, but here's a link to a track-by-track done with MusicRadar for The Last Hero:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/ ... ack-642777

I'm just quoting some stand-out comments from the guys from certain songs below:
Breathe (One Day Remains B-Side)
Mark: “It was one of the One Day Remains-era songs I absolutely loved, and to be honest, I haven’t heard the version we did with Myles for years. I have my version [the original demo].

“It’s kind of a moody song… I love it. It’s heavy in its own way, but it’s definitely not fast heavy.”
So Breathe is a heavy song? Thought it would be a ballad based off the title
Last of Our Kind
Myles: “The title was actually supposed to be Symphony Of Agony. Last Of Our Kind was the original title, and then someone screwed up when it went to be pressed. So Spinal Tap.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Last of Our Kind is a way better title. Myles needs to embrace these mistakes! Also :lol at Myles inspiration for it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I really like what they had to say about The Last Hero. It sounds like it has a lot of Myles influence it in instrumentally.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

So much good stuff in that last review you posted, Shea! Where to begin...?:

1. Really interesting seeing them be so honest about these songs - they seemed really straight up about which ones they thought were the best and which ones they weren't as high on.
2. Another song title mix up??? HOW does this keep happening? Unreal.
3. Anyone catch that comment about how fan feedback convinced them to move away from the radio edit of Show Me A Leader as fast as they could? They do listen :).
4. I'm so fascinated by this "trilogy" idea between SMAL, TSOF and TLH... can't wait to listen to those three in a row and see what I can make of it. I hope Myles tells us more about the story behind it someday.

Sorry that's a lot! All my friends know once I get going about AB there's no stopping this guy :P

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

I think I prefer "Symphony of Agony" to "Last of Our Kind". I wonder if I'll change the track name on my iTunes? Although I still haven't changed "Outright" to "Never Say Die".

Also, sounds like Elvis can be a real ass-hat sometimes. If AB want a song, let them have it I say. I hope he doesn't steer them off too mainstream in the future *cough*Shinedown*cough* I wonder if cracks are starting to appear in their relationship with him? Tremonti should produce AB6 himself I say :)

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

https://www.fotoconciertos.com/alter-br ... last-hero/
Fifth work of Alter Bridge, three years later, as is tradition in them, the former Fortress, and certainly this "Tribute to Heroes" as they themselves qualify, produced by Michael "Elvis" Bastette, it is a more than worthy successor to that great album so successful that reported them.

"Show Me a Leader" is the first cut, and was also chosen to be the first single from this new album, aptly, as it is a very complete theme with a chorus and catchy chorus that work perfectly.

"The Writing on the Wall" is a much denser and paneling topic with Scott Philips battery very strong, very hard rock rhythm with very melodic voices, important changes rhythm and guitars with great harmony.

There is no doubt that Myles Kennedy is one of the best voices of today 's rock, and the sinister "The Other Side" is a good example of this, the whispers that accompany powerful distorted guitars, very Black Sabbath, create a dark atmosphere which makes it one of my favorite disc.

No wonder that "My Champion" was chosen as the second single from The Last Hero, very radio theme and accessible which is followed by a "Poison in Your veins" that recovers much of the air of that "Addicted to Pain" but with an important point less hook.

Again the voice of Myles Kennedy shines again in "Cradle to the Grave", which demonstrates the wide variety of records that is able to offer, an issue with some changes of major intensity and some outstanding guitar melodies, alternating parts acoustic and electric, by Mark Tremondi and Myles own.

In "Losing Patience" find a metalhead topic, heavy riffs and powerful battery but fails to engage at all, followed by "This Side of Fate" playing between means tempos and more progressive parts gaining intensity until a final part in which Tremondi guitar comes out, as a curiosity, the Tremondi himself commented on the recording of this work that experimented with seven - string guitars on it.

Time ballad "You Will be Remembered" very dynamic and catchy and quite cañeras parts, after which had a theme of the toughest of the album "Crows on a Wire" with large metal influences, very tiresome and a chorus very brand Alter Bridge.

The melodies of "Twilight" are very effective, a much simpler and bland theme that gives way to an "Island of Fools" much more powerful, with very strong riffs and a great work of Scott Phillips and Brian Marshall on rhythm .

"The Last Hero" very dynamic, with great changes of pace serves to close a great job, very varied, but with the unmistakable personality of Alter Bridge, very guitar and a voice work that already makes almost forced his listen out.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

So they've played Show Me a Leader so far. You'd think that they'd play My Champion and Poison in Your Veins fairly regularly as well since they're the other singles.

And in that track by track Myles mentions a couple of different things...

1) He's sure Writing on the Wall will be in the set.
2) He feels The Other Side will be a great one to play live.
3) And he hopes that they'll play Island of Fools.

Mark also says how he's looking forward to playing Crade to the Grave live. I think comments like that bode well for the upcoming shows and how much the new album is represented in the setlists :)
Last edited by Dan Dando on Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Dan Dando wrote:1) He's sure Writing on the Wall will be in the set.
This means nothing. They've said this about many songs in the past, and often they don't get played.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Timotheus wrote:
Dan Dando wrote:1) He's sure Writing on the Wall will be in the set.
This means nothing. They've said this about many songs in the past, and often they don't get played.
Very true... but still... I'm gonna try and be optimistic :)

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

"Yeah man, we really can't wait to play this stuff live!" *Hums Before Tomorrow Comes chorus*