Official "The Last Hero" Thread (pre-release discussion)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
antiwal
Loyal Follower

Re: Official "The Last Hero" Thread

Post by antiwal »

Woo Poison is finally streaming via Blabbermouth. Listening now...

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

^ Well tbh the verse of Poison and the slow heavy thing of The Other Side are pretty 'different' than what I've heard from AB before. Poison has a really slick and some times even old school hard rock sound and TOS has a pretty unique sound. Combine that with the amazing intro of SMAL and how different My Champion was compared to that (whether you like it or not), I'm curious to see what we will hear more THL. AB is always gonna be AB and to me (#opinions) all this combined has a pretty unique vibe.
What worries me most is the mixing/sound quality. When switching from other bands/albums the new songs sound really compressed to my ears. I've heard that complain before here, but to me it was never that obvious till now.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

And yes!

Edit: let me do this correctly since that's how the band/label wants the traffic to go:

http://loudwire.com/alter-bridge-poison ... -premiere/
Last edited by fix on Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

^ I think the mix contributes to songs sounding alike in my head especially now that I'm not listening to them.

(and a slight tempo and atmosphere change from the usual isn't what I meant by "different")
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

Ubik wrote:The beginning verse riff of Poison sounds pretty similar to the verse of Show Me a Leader.
So this! That's what I thought.

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

Yeah i don't see how Poison (or even SMAL to a lesser extent) sound remotely like any previous AB song top to bottom. I think the reason these new songs are so polarizing is exactly that...cause they don't sound like typical AB. For better or worse. Anybody else feel the same? That's my take.

and i think Poison is by far the best new release. love the whole vibe. slick
Abe Lincoln- "Honey, where did you put my shirt?"

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Lotha wrote:^ I think the mix contributes to songs sounding alike in my head especially now that I'm not listening to them.

(and a slight tempo and atmosphere change from the usual isn't what I meant by "different")
That could be true indeed. The hand of Elvis is pretty obvious as usual.

And it's not just the tempo/atmosphere to me. But every ear is different. :) Hope the album can surprise both of us more than once, we'll just have to wait and hear.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Hey, I hope so too. :cheers
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

There are certain production issues that have grown to annoy me on SMAL to be honest...like how as the solo starts, the rhythm guitar soundss muddy and so heavy on the low end that i don't get the full definition i'd like. But eh...I still dig the song quite a bit. Just not as much

Ashlee
Site Admin

Post by Ashlee »

Arctic wrote:Just saying I doubt most Americans on this board prefer stuff like My Champion compared to their better songs. Maybe people who listen to pop radio, but not fans of the band.
Wholeheartedly agree.

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

yeah i'm an american boi and lemme tell ya i'm all about dem deep cuts son

hackingislife
TABN.com Citizen

Post by hackingislife »

I'm American, and I really like My Champion. Yes, I enjoy the heavier and dark songs, but that song resonates with me at such a deep level. Especially hearing the reasoning behind why Myles wrote that song. I mean, the dude put his heart into it. Along with another song on the album.

Also, it almost feels like Myles is patting me on the back as if everything will be okay and saying you're "My Champion." :mkrules :mkrules :mkrules :mkrules

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

poshisjarker wrote:There are certain production issues that have grown to annoy me on SMAL to be honest...like how as the solo starts, the rhythm guitar soundss muddy and so heavy on the low end that i don't get the full definition i'd like. But eh...I still dig the song quite a bit. Just not as much
The solo seems not loud enough compared to the rhythm guitar. I can barely hear the tones Mark is playing, the rhythm guitar is basically drowning several tones. That's pretty weird, because the lead guitar sounded much better on SMAL and My Champion.

Kreuger33
Loyal Follower

Post by Kreuger33 »

The songs (My Champion, Poison In Your Veins) are ok but nothing stands out about them.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

Here's my take on the lyrics for Poison...haven't been able to follow this thread the last two days so, apologies if someone has already posted them.

Poison In Your Veins
how long will you cower down, until you come to see
that courage is the hollowed ground, it changes destiny
that only those who dare to win, with no fear have no remorse
the time has come to rise again, you were meant to be much more
somehow
somehow

it’s like poison in your veins, oh it’s the beast you cannot tame
the way you let your fear burrow inside will chew you up and spit you out in time
release the poison in your veins right now
right now

everything that could’ve been has only failed to be
cause you wasted all your precious time you were too afraid to dream
well damn it all to hell i say don’t you waste another day
it’s time for you to own it now, the world is yours to take
right now

it’s like poison in your veins, oh it’s the beast you cannot tame
the way you let your fear burrow inside will chew you up and spit you out in time
so release the poison in your veins, come on bleed it out it’s not too late
what you choose to say (see?) is falling short, it’s time for you to rise and be much more

don’t waste another day
the world has slipped away
the world is yours to take
if only you could change

solo (myles)

oh it’s like poison in your veins, oh it’s the beast you cannot tame
the way you let your fear burrow inside, will chew you up and spit you out in time
release the poison in your veins, come on bleed it out it’s not too late
what you choose to say (see?) is falling short, it’s time for you to rise and be much more
release the poison in your veins right now
right now
right now
right now
Photobucket cash grab.

dFhimz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by dFhimz »

As far as production goes, I'm not very anal about it but I do use an app that helps me balance the mix a bit myself by adjusting the lows/mids/highs manually and it comes out a lot clearer than listening on a stock app with a basic eq or even spotify

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

Yeah exactly. I feel like SMAL and Poison both have this issue. I can't understand why they thought it sounded good. Like...if it fails a basic headphones listening test, then maybe take it easy a bit and cut down the mixing a notch. I don't know...i just like to hear all the guitars clearly in my music. I like it when it sounds like 4 distinct instruments. Not one chaotic instrument of noise. I feel as if that should be desired :shrug

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Cry a Rivuh is the song I think of when I hear Poison in your Veins. 100%

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Except Cry a River has one of the flattest choruses they've ever written and Poison's chorus is the complete opposite.

I agree with the production issues. Though I think it's often not really the production that bugs me the most but the mixing itself.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

dFhimz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by dFhimz »

poshisjarker wrote:Yeah exactly. I feel like SMAL and Poison both have this issue. I can't understand why they thought it sounded good. Like...if it fails a basic headphones listening test, then maybe take it easy a bit and cut down the mixing a notch. I don't know...i just like to hear all the guitars clearly in my music. I like it when it sounds like 4 distinct instruments. Not one chaotic instrument of noise. I feel as if that should be desired :shrug
With my app, I sorta tweaked it to hear the individual instruments more clearly. Can't go back to a stock player now, sounds much better