Official "The Last Hero" Thread (pre-release discussion)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Ashlee
Site Admin

Re: Official "The Last Hero" Thread

Post by Ashlee »

JGremore wrote:Cannot wait to hear these two tracks! Are posted links allowed with these two tracks? I know the U.S gets poison in your veins tomorrow, more so just curious about The Other Side?
If possible, we'd like to avoid links for now. During the beginning of an album cycle we prefer to encourage people to support the band by spending 99 cents on a download rather than hear the song for free, unless of course the link is from an official Alter Bridge Channel.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

All right, my thoughts. Well, it sounds like a single. Sounds a bit loud. It's a solid AB-sounding single. Still I yearn to hear a song from The Last Hero where they actually incorporate a small instrumental section before transitioning to the bridge verse/solo, because I'm not getting that so far in these three songs.

FlyingMonkey97
Bought The CDs

Post by FlyingMonkey97 »

anguyen92 wrote:All right, my thoughts. Well, it sounds like a single. Sounds a bit loud. It's a solid AB-sounding single. Still I yearn to hear a song from The Last Hero where they actually incorporate a small instrumental section before transitioning to the bridge verse/solo, because I'm not getting that so far in these three songs.
Well, I sure hope that the rest of the songs are more musically evolved than the 3 radio friendly singles that are definitely the only songs everyone here has heard! I wonder what The Last Hero will sound like? The title makes me think it will be very interesting to listen to.
Last edited by FlyingMonkey97 on Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

FlyingMonkey97
Bought The CDs

Post by FlyingMonkey97 »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
FlyingMonkey97 wrote:I think in the bridge it's "fade to black you'll see in time"
Also in the chorus I was thinking "well you'll deserve" (instead of will)

Other than that, spot on!
Thanks! I can totally hear the bridge correctly now :) Pretty good the first time for a quick ear-to-document translation though :p

But the chorus is too hard to differentiate. :/

Any idea what he says for the red in Poison?
No idea for Poison. I didn't actually go back and listen to Other Side, 8 actually just remembered that lyric. Haven't listened to Poison nearly as much (because I don't like it as much lol). Even after going back listening to that line a few times it's really hard to make out. I'll post here if I get it later on.

JGremore
TABN.com Citizen

Post by JGremore »

Ashlee wrote:
JGremore wrote:Cannot wait to hear these two tracks! Are posted links allowed with these two tracks? I know the U.S gets poison in your veins tomorrow, more so just curious about The Other Side?
If possible, we'd like to avoid links for now. During the beginning of an album cycle we prefer to encourage people to support the band by spending 99 cents on a download rather than hear the song for free, unless of course the link is from an official Alter Bridge Channel.
Definitely understandable, was just curious!

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

FlyingMonkey97 wrote:No idea for Poison. I didn't actually go back and listen to Other Side, I actually just remembered that lyric. Haven't listened to Poison nearly as much (because I don't like it as much lol). Even after going back listening to that line a few times it's really hard to make out. I'll post here if I get it later on.
Okie-dokie!

JGremore
TABN.com Citizen

Post by JGremore »

Alright, I like Poison quite a bit. However, it's definitely a loud song in the mix. Definitely the worst mixed out of the 3 released IMO. So much going on that it's tough to digest. Honestly the first time I've felt this way. The main riff was tough to make out.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

Both new released tracks manage to boost my feelings towards the new album. I'm happy after a disappointing beginning with SMAL and crap-track like Champion this fortunately is so much better. Hope they won't play Champion live in the European leg of the tour and safe valuable gig-time for the better (probably all) tracks of TLH. Just play Champion for our American friends - suits tem better - and give us Europeans the AB-sound we cherish the band for. Very happy with Poison and The Other Side turning my sentiment around towards positive feelings !

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

You may not like My Champion, but saying it's a crap track seems to be too exaggerating, honestly. Poison In My Veins, while all right for an AB track, is just a bit tad too loud and hard to hear all the pieces in a clear way for me which is why I'm putting this in last in terms of the three tracks I've heard so far.
riemslag1 wrote: Just play Champion for our American friends - suits tem better - and give us Europeans the AB-sound we cherish the band for.
Heh, the AB sound you guys cherish the band for. How would you define that, honestly? I'm having a hard time trying to define it after nine years of hearing the band.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

riemslag1 wrote:Both new released tracks manage to boost my feelings towards the new album. I'm happy after a disappointing beginning with SMAL and crap-track like Champion this fortunately is so much better. Hope they won't play Champion live in the European leg of the tour and safe valuable gig-time for the better (probably all) tracks of TLH. Just play Champion for our American friends - suits tem better - and give us Europeans the AB-sound we cherish the band for. Very happy with Poison and The Other Side turning my sentiment around towards positive feelings !
Ya I agree anything depressing and borderline lyrically suicidal seems to suit you better

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Haha!
Well it's true in my case. I dig the ABIII vibe of The Other Side. Although I agree that the almost theatrical 'halloween rock' bridge is right on the border of cool and over the top. The lyrics are very dark, remind me of Slip and Show me a Sign a bit. Like this song a lot. Love the chorus with the guitar melody and the heaviness of the bridge.
Poison I'm not too sure about. It's a great up tempo song with great melody, but the riff is a bit too simple to build the song around. But it's a fun song for sure.

Box Of Frogz
Bought The CDs

Post by Box Of Frogz »

My Champion is my favourite out of the four. I love the uplifting side of this band way more than the depressive.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

Nice to see so much different opposite reactions towards the same songs. Can not deny the diversity in songs coming our way. More diversity than previous AB-albums it seems. Very curious for the remaining 10 songs.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

DonHarry wrote:The Other Side reminds me of the Uninvited for some reason. I mean, musically I guess it's not the same, maybe the general feel though.
+1
It's just a weird sounding song.
It's super heavy, but I'm not liking the slow pace of the verses.
That guitar thing at 3:36 is really awesome and unique though, and the song is worth listening just for that.

Poison in your Veins gives me a Blackbird meets Fortress vibe. It's a fun umtempo song with a typical Mark solo, but I'm not a fan of the weird sound effect at 1:03. Also, I don't see how they ever considered this as a first single.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

The Other Side is comparable in album context (from what we heard until now) to All Hope Is Gone and The Uninvited in that it has a very distinctive and kinda different sound.
The mixing is kinda weird on this one though. I feel there's a lot of bass and heavy sounds which is drowning the drums a bit. With SMAL I kinda got that 'loudness' feel in the iTunes version (YouTube version for some reason sounded a bit better to my ears) and have the same problem with both these new songs.

SamarthJoshi
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SamarthJoshi »

Its funny to see iTunes US say "Poison in Your Veins" and alterbridge.com and iTunes in other countries say "Poison in you Vains". So which one is it? :P

Moving on, I love Poison! Really like the groove of the song! The guitar effect during the verse is really cool. Also, the chorus in which he hits the higher scale sounds sooo cool!! It's fun to sing as well.

The Other Side - Awesome Intro! Really Creepy Vibe! But the song is too slow for my liking. It's almost 6 minutes long(due to it's slowness I guess) and is a perfect example that all the lengthier tracks of AB are not epic. At least for me. ;)

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Okay, the way it seems right now, I won't hear anything new and fresh and wow on this album. I guess I should deal with that.

Decent songs at best, but they don't live up to the hype for me.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

Im surprised no1 has brought up how similar the opening riff of Poison sounds so much like White knuckles

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Anyone else think The Other Side lyric is inspired by the Paris shootings? I think it might be.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Dude, us Americans on this board don't prefer songs like My Champion. Are you fucking serious m8?