Official "The Last Hero" Thread (pre-release discussion)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Felypesh
TABN.com Citizen

Re: Official "The Last Hero" Thread

Post by Felypesh »

Jim wrote:I'm gonna let that one slide ^ because it could refer to all of his solos... Felypesh you're walking a fine suspension line my friend
WHAT, I'm talking about general Myles' solos :shrug

edit: Oh you said that at first, well that's what I tried to say

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

----Sometimes, long ago, after first buying an album, I would look at the lyrics first for fun so that I could try to figure out in my head maybe what the song was gonna sound like. It was fun having my brain fill in the blanks of how the song could possibly be like, sound like.

But most of the time nowadays I listen to song first, then lyrics if there are some lyrics that I dont understand.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Ubik wrote:I'm more interested in hearing another Myles solo that I can listen to repeatedly on its own without getting bored than high notes.

I just want the album to be good, really.

Granted, for me that probably means at least some guitar solos.

An AB album without guitar solos would seem out of place for them.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Andy92 wrote:
Lotha wrote:Well it's not like it's prog and you can't predict where a song will go. Especially when it comes to AB, we all know their little tricks and preferred song structures by now. I mean I hope it's surprising but a review won't spoil it, for me at least.
Listen if we got a review from Shea I would know the BPM of every song, the frequency response of the crash cymbals, and how many times Mark also says deny as the backing vocalist.
Don't give him to too much credit. Honestly, I dont think Shea knows how to count the BPM. ;)

But hey what do I know?

EDIT: double/triple post --- My bad

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

cheesedip1 wrote:Don't give him to too much credit. Honestly, I dont think Shea knows how to count the BPM. ;)
Nope. No clue how. I'd try to find a website that tells me it.

dFhimz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by dFhimz »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
cheesedip1 wrote:Don't give him to too much credit. Honestly, I dont think Shea knows how to count the BPM. ;)
Nope. No clue how. I'd try to find a website that tells me it.
The trial and error way is to figure out the actual beat division (duple/triple), get a metronome going and change its speed until it lines up with the tune

jonten99
Brand New Start

Post by jonten99 »

"let me eat from this slice of pizza while waiting for the pizza i ordered"
Last edited by axlar on Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed the comment into something comparable

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Edited: Since the post above has been changed, I shall follow suit.
Last edited by anguyen92 on Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

You did what you did, just please do not further discuss it on the board until the album has been officially released.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Nice edit, Axlar. Who would want to eat pizza while waiting for pizza to be delivered? Wouldn't that ruin the appetite when the pizza does come?

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

anguyen92 wrote:Nice edit, Axlar. Who would want to eat pizza while waiting for pizza to be delivered? Wouldn't that ruin the appetite when the pizza does come?
thank you.. also nice one.. and i don't think you should have edited your reply to the person, as i think it was a nice reply.. haha
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

^ Haha amazing.
I'm very hungry though. Three more weeks! (or less in case of a stream)

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

Just going back to the 'Leaks hurt sales' comments. Could it not be argued that those that obtained it illegally would have done it on release anyway? All it's changed is the date they download it surely? Hypothetically, if I were to purchase an album but it leaked, I wouldn't personally have any moral conflict downloading a leak because I know I've already paid for it. I was always under the impression most of the coin was generated through touring, is that correct?

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

DonHarry wrote:Just going back to the 'Leaks hurt sales' comments. Could it not be argued that those that obtained it illegally would have done it on release anyway? All it's changed is the date they download it surely? Hypothetically, if I were to purchase an album but it leaked, I wouldn't personally have any moral conflict downloading a leak because I know I've already paid for it. I was always under the impression most of the coin was generated through touring, is that correct?
yes it could be argued, but, by downloaing a leak you sustain the leak and widespread the leak.. many people will obtain the album through a leak opposed through purchasing it.. yes.. *most* people here will probably purchase it anyways, but that doesn't make an illegal activity legal.

Also it takes away a lot of the buzz a release day should bring.. which will hurt sales numbers and social activity numbers.. which influence radio and other media again..
"Sing it, Stijn!"

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

that doesn't make an illegal activity legal
Of course not.
Also it takes away a lot of the buzz a release day should bring.. which will hurt sales numbers and social activity numbers.. which influence radio and other media again..
Perhaps, but in theory it could increase ticket sales for shows occurring nearer release. How can I articulate this....When I got to a show, I like to know the songs so I can sing along etc, I enjoy it more if I know the material. If I go to a show and they're playing music I haven't heard, or have only had the chance to hear a couple of days prior I would enjoy the new material less because I can't interact with it until I know it. This might make me less likely to attend a show close to release. I'm just playing devils advocate. On the whole, I always think exposure is exposure. Like if casual fans download it and never had any intention of buying it, and it turns out they really like the album then they might go and see them. Obviously that scenario would not be possible if they hadn't obtained the album in the first place. It's indirectly generating interest that might only have existed for die hards and the morally sound.

Thoughts?

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Well my biggest 'problem' with it, aside from it hurting sales or not, is that you facilitate and support leaks because you give the particular site or medium clicks/shares/ad revenue etc...

As far as hurting sales go, I think it will hurt a bit on initial release indeed, because it might dampen the buzz. But I don't know/have the figures to support that.

But before the payed streaming services (!), I discovered a lot of bands by illegal source because it was so easy to get hold of a lot of music. Bands I now support by going to concerts, streams and buying albums. So in the long run I don't know, but I agree with Axlar is can affect buzz on release.

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

And with that this discussion about leaks is done until oct 7th. Let's bring this thread back on topic...18 days to go! \o/
"Sing it, Stijn!"

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

^ yeey! Do people have songs they look forward to most? Based on reviews/listening party?

I'm very curious to hear The Last Hero and The Other Side! :)

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

I've heard that This Side Of Fate is killer. 6:48, which I believe is the longest song on the album.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

How about that clip of The Other Side that they played on Eddie Trunk's show? Was that clip removed or is that considered legit? Sorry in advance if that one is off limits but that preview was absolutely unbelievable. So looking forward to The Other Side (which Mark said was his favorite!).