"The Last Hero" Media Review Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Re: "The Last Hero" Media Review Thread

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Angry Alter Bridge fans? What are those? .....

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:I don't know where this idea came from; But lately I've been having worries that between Fortress, Cauterize, and Dust in the past 3 years, Mark used up a lot of amazing riffage. My main worry is what if he doesn't have as many mega tremonster riffage that we've known to love on this record? Am I crazy for even pondering this idea?
From the previews, there are SO many incredible riffs. I am really excited for this record. Stuff that reminds me of ODR, Blackbird and Tremonti... Losing Patience and the title track have me the most excited. The songs are dripping with melody. I feel like Mark saves his best for AB. Can't wait for the release... (the leak).

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

AB4Lyfe wrote:Angry Alter Bridge fans? What are those? .....
Never heard of em. #imaginary

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

psycosquirrel789 wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:I don't know where this idea came from; But lately I've been having worries that between Fortress, Cauterize, and Dust in the past 3 years, Mark used up a lot of amazing riffage. My main worry is what if he doesn't have as many mega tremonster riffage that we've known to love on this record? Am I crazy for even pondering this idea?
From the previews, there are SO many incredible riffs. I am really excited for this record. Stuff that reminds me of ODR, Blackbird and Tremonti... Losing Patience and the title track have me the most excited. The songs are dripping with melody. I feel like Mark saves his best for AB. Can't wait for the release... (the leak).
You're really open to talk about the leaked snippets aren't you, psyco? And I mean yeah I guess I'm getting ahead of myself here, especially when 30s of a ~5min song isn't telling you much of anything about the rest of the song or album in general really.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

^ I'm sensing a bit of jealously??! haha

I heard the snippets of All I Was, and I thought they were "ok" and I still think that album is "ok". Yes, I have the snippets of Hero, and I think they are amazing. We shall see, but I'm betting this is the best post-ODR record.

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

psycosquirrel789 wrote:^ I'm sensing a bit of jealously??! haha

I heard the snippets of All I Was, and I thought they were "ok" and I still think that album is "ok". Yes, I have the snippets of Hero, and I think they are amazing. We shall see, but I'm betting this is the best post-ODR record.
I completely agree with you on it being the best post-ODR record. Fortress was they're best so far but TLH sounds so damn good just based on the snippets alone. ;)

dFhimz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by dFhimz »

Every single snippet sounded killer. 7 minutes out of about 70 minutes only and i'm already sold. Less than a month!

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

:) :) :peace :peace :headbang :headbang dFhimz and joshuabeau are my fav. members of this board!!!

Felypesh
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Felypesh »

Can you stop talking about the snippets please, you are breaking my heart thank you :mope

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

psycosquirrel789 wrote::) :) :peace :peace :headbang :headbang dFhimz and joshuabeau are my fav. members of this board!!!
Bahaha! Glad you caught on ;)

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

give me the snippets and nobody gets hurt.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Track by track:
http://whatculture.com/music/alter-brid ... wed-ranked

This made me very exited. :yes

benjoAB
White Knuckled

Post by benjoAB »

fix wrote:Track by track:
http://whatculture.com/music/alter-brid ... wed-ranked

This made me very exited. :yes
This is one massive cock tease! This review is a really hot woman who just refuses to show any skin and dances Infront of you in a black bag! Enticing you and leading you on but you have to wait another month or so to see the full show!

Hurry up and be released already!!

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

http://jacemedia.co.uk/2016/09/alter-br ... um-review/
With less than 3 weeks until their fifth studio album release Alter Bridge are barely off the radio. ‘Show Me A Leader’ is the first single from the much anticipated 13 track album. The Last Hero, due ‘for release on October 7th via Napalm Records. It’s been 3 years since Fortress and excitement is in the air as the band will be touring Europe and the UK in November to promote the album. Their biggest headline shows to date, the 24-date tour kicks off on November 4th. Special guests include Danish rockers Volbeat, French Prog Metallers Gojira and newcomers Like A Storm.

The album was written late in 2015 when vocalist Myles Kennedy was out on tour with Slash and The conspirators and guitarist Mark Tremonti was out fronting his own band, Tremonti. Mark Tremonti described the upcoming album as “a good mixture between ‘Fortress’ and ‘Blackbird,'” saying that it “covers all bases.”

Opening track ‘Show me a leader’ continues where Fortress left off. Again, Alter Bridge use the Production genius Michael ‘’Elvis’’ Baskette and mastered by Grammy award winner Ted Jensen. It has the same classic sound that the band is known for. Much the same theme Kennedy and Tremonti have used on all five albums. Frustration about Global warming and afterlife.

4th track in ‘’My Champion’’ has a really good intro, both heavy and melodic. It shows the softer side of the band and its every bit as good as the heavy side! The song is an ode to Myles parents and teachers. The folks who guided him as a small shy kid. ‘’You got gotta keep fighting and get back up again’’. A real feel good number and the second single from the album. The lyric was actually inspired by thinking back to my situation as a kid,” Myles says. “I was this really small, underdeveloped kid who had to work extremely hard to keep up with all of my peers. It was very frustrating. I would hear a lot of words of encouragement from parents, coaches, or teachers though. A lot of those things were stored away, and they manifested themselves in this song. I’ve been able to apply some of those concepts in my life a thousand times over since then.”

The album has a Hero theme through it. Kennedy and Tremonti have used examples of current affairs in their songwritting for this album. Hero’s, Race relations, Campaigns and the Environment. The album is telling a story of what’s happening these days. Kennedy and Tremonti have never brushed over the things that affect us and what’s happening in the world.

‘’You Will Be Remembered’’ from start to finish just makes you want to stop and listen to every word. From the intro riff, through verse and chorus it is full of passion and emotion. It’s a tribute to Hero’s, whose who have sacrificed everything for their country. The best track on the album, it will become an anthem just like ‘Loving Memory’ from the debut album.

Not forgetting the rhythm section, Brian Marshall on bass and drummer Scott ‘Flip’ Philips on drums. They come back with a force on the heavy ‘Crows on a Wire ‘. The song is dark and describes the ugly world of politics.

‘The Last Hero’ is an epic sounding track, Tremonti ‘s riffs and solo s combined with Kennedys haunting vocals bring the album to a close.

I listened to the album several times before fully understanding the message in the songs. The tracks I have mentioned are the strongest on the album. They are classic yet contemporary. The others didn’t make any impact. They could had been unnoticed on any of the previous albums.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Holy review batman!

http://totallytankered.com/alter-bridge ... um-review/
I am eternally grateful for being able to review this. I wasn’t expecting to be offered to review it, and so being able to is something I’m truly thankful for.
The reason for the very unusual bit of me being humble up there, is Alter Bridge’s new album. There are very few things that can make me smile. Seriously, it can take a lot to cheer me up, and I’m going to get this out of the way right now. Alter Bridge can do no wrong. They are the perfect band. This album is perfect. This album made me smile. It made me forget my depression I’m currently battling, and it made me want to better my own life.
I could rattle on for hours about how Alter Bridge have been there for me during some of my darkest moments, how the band have pulled me back from the brink more than once (even if one of those moments was when the majority of the band went by Creed), and about how the large tattoo on my left forearm carries a lot of deeply personal meaning to me, as it was done to memorialise someone (and later two someones) in my life who were extremely close to me, but were here to discuss music, so lets get on with it.

The album is a darker one overall, much more like AB III than say, Blackbird or Fortress were. It has a number of social messages in it as well, addressing things like Global Warming in one instance. If you’ve been waiting for this album as long as I have, you’ll recognise album opener ‘Show Me A Leader’. It’s an Alter Bridge special. It’s punchy, fiery, catchy, and gets the blood flowing. No nonsense, straight into things, wham bam, thank you maam. As typical with AB albums, this carries on into the second song, which also tends to be one that makes you look at yourself.
No changes here, ‘The Writing On The Wall’ follows on much like Addicted To Pain, Isolation, and Come To Life before it. From there, we have ‘The Other Side’, starting with what you could call a signature AB sounding intro, a solitary guitar lamenting its woes as the rest of the band chimes in with crushing blows before they all match up and the song itself kicks in. Its a crunchier song, and one of the aforementioned darker sounding parts. It’s also one that can make you look at yourself, and how you’re handling life, If you believe yours is the only way, then you’re the fool who lives to die, being an example of something that many people could take on board. It’s a powerful song on an entire album of powerful, meaningful songs, but it sticks out for me, and I for one cannot wait to see this performed live in November.

‘My Champion’ is another song that has been released prior to the full album coming out, and if you follow the thought that I do, which is that a single song can have a million different meanings to a million different people, then this song can be a dedication to someone who you feel improves your life. It’s an uplifting song that can really pick you up when you’re down and help you carry on through something that’s troubling you. ‘Poison In Your Veins’ is a faster paced number, which is good after the slower yet happier tone of the previous song, and is another one I’d love to hear live. It’s powerful and again, like much, if not all of this album, sends a message.
Onwards though, and as much as this album is perfect, this song, ‘Cradle to the Grave’ song is kind of ruined for me. It’s ruined, because the first time I heard it, when I heard the guitar melody for the verses, I swear to you, all I could hear was the theme song for MASH. Seriously, listen to this song, then take a moment to check out the TV intro to MASH. It sounds exactly. The. Fucking. Same. And that’s a damn shame, as the song itself is a bloody good one. It’s another downtrodden one, but AB pull these off so amazingly well that you’d be happy with an entire album of them. But FFS, why THAT guitar melody, Mark?

After that, its good to get a palette cleanser, and ‘Losing Patience’ duly delivers. It ups the pace again, and gives us a bit of a refresher from the out and out downtrodden sound of the last song. Not to say that this song is all sunshine and pizza, it’s still got an angry edge to it, lyrically, but it sounds it. It’s not accepting defeat, it will be heard. ‘This Side Of Fate’ slows things down again, and makes things a bit darker, which as mentioned above, was what the band were shooting for. There’s a great bit about two and a half minutes in that pays homage to classical music with a nice little guitar passage as well, which I really loved. I do enjoy when rock and metal bands either re-imagine or just modernise pieces of classic music, or even if they make something that sounds like it could have come from that era of music.

‘You Will Be Remembered’ is another soft yet uplifting one, and this one is all about paying tribute to the armed forces. If I’m honest, I’m not entirely sure this song was necessary for the album, but it’s still a good song. It’s still something that I’m sure all in the armed forces will appreciate and be thankful for. Thankfully though, we can move on from that into the heavier stuff again, and ‘Crows On A Wire’ certainly brings the heaviness with aplomb. It’s crushing, it’s faster paced, and its just what we needed, right when we needed. The guys really know how to structure an album to make it ebb and flow just right. As does the song, incidentally. It goes from start to finish perfectly. Hard and crushing at the right times, holding some of that back to allow Myles to do what he does best when it needs to happen. Strong pick for favourite songs on the album.

From there, we get ‘Twilight’, a tweener, songwise. It’s not particularly heavy, it’s not downtrodden, and it’s not strictly uplifting. Which is odd, from an Alter Bridge perspective. This takes nothing away from the song itself, which, as with the rest of them, is great, and the song actually carries a message about not fucking up the future for ourselves, which sadly will fall on many deaf ears. As we start to close in on the home stretch of the album, we get something a bit tasty in ‘Island Of Fools’, a straight up headbanger of a song, and another one designed to send a message, this time in way of pointing a finger. I said above that this album was one that attempted to tackle social issues, and it really does get hammered home more than once.
Sadly, we come to the last track on the retail album, and it’s the title track, ‘The Last Hero’. It ends things in typical Alter Bridge manner. Powerful, catchy, hook laden. It’s just what you need, right when you need it, and I love how they went super heavy (for Alter Bridge anyway) about two thirds in.

For those of us fortunate to get the bonus track, we get ‘Last Of Our Kind’, which could easily have been on the album proper. Again, its a song that sends a message about not dicking future humanity over, but its just a good song. I have no idea why it didn’t make the final retail cut, as it could seriously be a potential single its that good.

With this new release, they’ve nailed it. I’ve never been so happy to listen to dark, depressing songs in my life. It’s oddly uplifting, and its been one Hell of a journey, akin to a spiritual experience for me. Like I said at the start, Alter Bridge albums have a habit of coming along just as I need them, and they’ve helped me out and saved my life more than once.
If you’re not a fan of Alter Bridge by now, this wont change your mind, as its the same sort of style and sound they’ve perfected over the years, but I still urge you to give this album a chance. Just in case your mind can be changed. Go on, you know you want to.
I give it 11 out of 10.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

http://staticagemag.com/post/alter-brid ... st-hero-sp

TRANSLATED:
Today Alter Bridge recovers hand this plastic fifth, where synergies between the band and his trademark, reach a comprehensive cohesion. With date marked for release on October 7, briefly we anticipate the brand content Myles Kennedy and his henchmen.

The American band does not want to engage in a harsh political battle, reminding the situation in their country but will cover a number of vital issues such as the current mentioned panorama from a reflective perspective which arise a lot of questions and thoughts on who should be stopping to to debate. Perhaps once again in history, it gives the sensation of feeling the need for a new hero. Need inspiring part of the contents of his new letters.

Start with rage, hand-held its first single "Show Me A leader" certifying their unmistakable sound, a topic with much hook where there is an outstanding experiment guitar sounds with Mark Tremonti. Reserve its mandatory space to remember the old recipe of his home by an old court "Losing the Patience", using a compact gear used on all your disks and achieving also reinvent themselves on some issues, although it generates some criticism from They are locating the most demanding excessive similarities to previous issues. The technical level of training and ability impasto, will be a readily apparent constant, which charges its peak in brilliant songs like "My Champion" and "You Will Be Remembered". The duo Myles Kennedy and Mark Tremonti continued untreatable, making profitable both musicians the best qualities of each and being stimulated to overcome new boundaries. Myles Kennedy effort all the time is immeasurable and his colleague Mark Tremonti makes an insane display quality and skills in many subjects like the great "Poison In Your Veins" pulling out all their artillery to walk. The brutal rhythm section on bass cover by Brian Marshall and drummer Scott Phillips impregnable shown ruthless in cutting "Crows on a Wire". Memorable is also the cut that gives this album "The Last Hero" and serves as such a masterpiece exultant brooch.

The dynamism of the band and the technical quality treasured its members, makes Alter Bridge musical super power in all its aspects. The latest album will raise the bar one floor up.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

https://thesonicsensory.com/2016/09/18/ ... last-hero/

WARNING: This review has some lyrical spoilers in it! But those lyrics sure sound like they'll be awesome to hear!
Within the daily confines of my previous position at my current employer was the morning routine of getting together as a group for a huddle, which involved one of us bringing to the table an inspirational quote to get the team motivated. Since then, despite no longer needing to, this trend has become routine. Not necessarily daily, but still enough to think about how these words affect other aspects of life. This, for instance; at this point, there is probably no one on the planet that doesn’t know that Alter Bridge is comprised of 3 former members of the rock band Creed; since their debut, everything to follow has proven that Alter Bridge is their own entity, and not just ‘that band’ that formed from the remnants of another. Words to remember, author not known: the past is a place of reference, not a place of residence. To see where Alter Bridge is today, how far they have come since One Day Remains, and where they continue to push themselves, is really something to behold; with the upcoming release of their 5th studio album The Last Hero, Alter Bridge continues to solidify themselves as one of the premier musical acts on the planet.

Listeners are about 3 years removed from arguably the finest thing Alter Bridge has released, Fortress, both the album and final track. Exceptional standards to set, but if anyone were to somehow match it or better, it was this group of fine musicians. First single, Show Me a Leader, opens with a phenomenal solo courtesy of grossly underrated guitarist Myles Kennedy, and has shown to be more of a grower than an in your face anthem like ‘Addicted to Pain’ was; a song with a positive vibe, it’s difficult to imagine that this song isn’t a political commentary in some way, with lyrics of

Because a promise is never enough

Show me a leader that

Won’t Compromise

Show me a leader that

Knows what it’s like

We need a hero this time

I know if we’re to survive

We need to know this is not the end

How will we ever get by

It’s getting harder to find out here on our own

Musically, this song is everything we’ve come to expect from an Alter Bridge single; a blistering solo courtesy of Tremonti, a vastly underrated rhythm section, chugging along and holding it all together, complete with a percussive assault with perfectly placed double bass drumming. Despite the song sounding a bit different as compared to Fortress’ first single, Show Me a Leader was the perfect opener, as it really sets the tone that quality will never be absent from an album by these guys.

Upping the positivity brought to listeners, second single My Champion somewhat divided fans, with rumblings that the band had possibly abandoned the dark vibe present in so much of Fortress, despite the unquestionable quality of Show Me a Leader. No questioning the quality of the track, as the upbeat lyrics, an ode to Myles’ parents, and relative simplicity in the music makes it a safe single, if for nothing else to possibly bring in some newer fans or at least get people talking when it’s heard on the radio; it just didn’t, and honestly doesn’t, radiate as greatly as some of their other single releases.

Fear not, however, those of you worried about Alter Bridge softening; The Other Side hits hard from a musical standpoint and more noticeably, a lyrical perspective. The song opens in a fairly unassuming fashion, but once it kicks in, the down tuned, heavy metal riffing (some of their very best) should immediately dispel any notions that this band has gone softer. In a way, vocally and musically it offers sounds similar to Lover and Bleed it Dry from Fortress, as it’s dark, grungy, and Myles begins n his lower register, upping the intensity just in time for the chorus. The main attraction, at least for this listener, was the lyrical content, which could not match the music any better than it does; among the more notable of the lyrics are the following, pre-chorus and chorus respectively:

You think that heavens gate’s awaiting

But only hell will come

You’re insane

Have you gone too far

Who’s to blame

For what you are

If you believe yours is the only way

Then you’re the fool who lives to die

Well you deserve the hell you’re gonna pay

On the other side

Once you reach the other side

Short of actually speaking with Myles himself, these lyrics point to a scathing commentary of religious indoctrination. As relevant a lyrical topic as politics, Myles’ incredible range coupled with his obvious emotional investment manages to help make a song so serious in concept one of the catchiest tracks on the album. Quite frankly, this song belongs on Fortress, and is among their finest.

At this point, it’s fairly obvious to see that Alter Bridge is nearly incapable of releasing subpar material, and it’s further proven in the moments they’ve chosen to slow down; in Cradle to the Grave, the focus is primarily on Myles’ vocals, as they should be, but Tremonti still somehow manages to steal the scene with his impeccable and instantly recognizable solo. But don’t be fooled; you will remember this song because Myles Kennedy is one of the finest vocalists on the planet. Period.

Going back to the heavy, Crows on a Wire is all about the filth of politics and the media, with the point driven home by a killer, menacingly heavy main riff; the opening alone is enough to get the blood pumping and the mind racing:

If you want to step into the light

Well I’m warning you be wise

Nothing goes unnoticed

If you want to lead or be a star

And expose all that you are

Are you sure you want this now

It will only tear you down

(…)

Cause they’re waiting just like crows on a wire

They pry and conspire

It’s all they do

(…)

If you’ve got a secret deep inside

Nothing sacred or divine

They will always lead you on

A blistering solo, which sounds quite like it came from Mr. Kennedy himself, explodes onto the scene in the last third of the song, giving the listener just enough time to breathe before seguing beautifully into the final chorus, ending another emotionally charged, current events driven monster.

If Alter Bridge has been known for anything, it’s that they really know how to end an album; AB III had Works Darker Than Their Wings, and Fortress had the masterpiece title track: certainly hard acts to follow, but in the hands of Kennedy and Tremonti, it’s no surprise that The Last Hero manages to finish this album off with a bang and somehow, someway, save the best for last. Myles’ highs are as powerful as ever, Tremonti backs up perfectly, and the middle of the track closely resembles Fortress, in that the music is cranked to 11, complete with two epic solos and monster, thrashy, heavy metal riffage. To use a cliché, this closer is literally everything we have come to expect from an Alter Bridge closer: the music is somehow untouchable in quality, despite everything preceding it. It takes a mammoth effort for a band to record twelve exceptional tracks, only to come out guns ever more blazing for the finale, leaving us breathless and longing for the next listen.

There was a part of me that thought that with Fortress, Alter Bridge did it: they managed to make an album that could not in any way, shape, or form be matched in quality. Here’s the thing: The Last Hero is not Fortress, and if the order had been flip-flopped, I would have thought the same thing; that there is no way they are topping this. This is the sign of a band that will forever be known as one of the greatest: the ability to release one masterpiece after another, to make long time fans yearn for just one more track, one more note, just to have it continue. Make no mistake about it: Alter Bridge, the band that was once assumed a Creed side project, is one of the premier musical acts on the planet today, and The Last Hero has cemented their place in history as one of the finest bands to ever play. A place of reference, indeed.
5/5

*Note: Lyrics may not reflect the final product; with no linear notes present, all lyrics in this review are based on what the reviewer has heard.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

http://powermetal.de/review/review-Alte ... 29029.html

TRANSLATED:
The fort is not stormed, yet awesome.

That ALTER BRIDGE has earned for me in the last twelve years now with the previous four albums the status of a favorite band, should be well known. And favorite bands are indeed good reason favorite band. Whether it is because they have shaped up in youth, or simply because the band constant class shows in the studio and live, and the possibility is still sympathetic. The latter applies clearly to Mark Tremonti, Myles Kennedy & companions. A really weak song has the squad never recorded and the "Fortress" was even a thoroughly ingenious part having with 'Cry Of Achilles' and to provide 'Calm The Fire' Songs for eternity, the one also in this form has not expect from the band. Accordingly profound is the anticipation and high expectations as "The Last Hero" turns its first digital round.

Where there once was acute outbreaks of enthusiasm in "Fortress" that Erstbetrachtung falls this time somewhat more subdued than usual. That never the best song is released as a single, one is in ALTER BRIDGE längtst usual, especially 'Show Me A Leader' can be solved in the long term from its somewhat obtrusive 'ohohoh' choirs and perhaps even goes as far best prepublication. But even apart from that, to me spontaneously songs where I notice quickly that they will not be so very far in my favor above. In the rather doomy 'The Other Side' and the typical mid-tempo track 'From The Cradle To The Grave' there are just the vocal melodies in the chorus that can not convince me from the beginning. Since both songs are also placed in the first half, created soon the impression of a small disappointment.

But I can assure you that this total nonsense. Yes, even after two dozen runs, the two songs are still at the end of my popularity rating, but the quality of the remaining material is proven high that they make up for this slight variations in quality loose again. The ability to sustainably produce earwigs is, not go missing men. Songs like 'Writings On The Wall', 'My Champion', 'Poison In Your Veins' or 'Losing Patience' offer everything you could wish for as a fan of the band: Myles 'unique voice, catchy hooks, Tremonti' striking guitar playing. Since you will be able to sing at the upcoming shows certainly loudly. Furthermore, there are of course again soulful Seelenstreichler as the lyrically beautiful 'You Will Be Remembered' and the long, provided with famous soloists 'This Side Of Fate'.

The best numbers the troops but has kept for last. My personal favorite is named 'Iceland Of Fools' and is a bit of sneaky hit of the album. In fact, I have a few spins needed before the song has fixed by his original vocal lines in my brain, but then he is truly exploded. The following title track is this exposed position also worthy. Although the building is reminiscent of a little 'Fortress', but Tremonti's guitar work ensures that degenerates into a side note. Also a real highlight.

What ALTER BRIDGE after the last work comparatively bold might be accused, is the lack of experimentation. Where new paths being successfully trodden on the predecessor with the already mentioned 'Cry Of Achilles', 'Calm The Fire' or 'Lover', 'Water Rising' and the title track, there are no such rather unusual numbers this time. Personally, I'm still more than satisfied with the "normal" songs, because these are unmistakable ALTER BRIDGE, have just as I learned the band love. But this special kick, give such exciting numbers, missing then stop nevertheless. Anyone expecting more boldness from a band that is perhaps able to deduct a point from the score. But if I "just" want a new ALTER BRIDGE works to be absolutely happy again this time. Maybe a little less happy than last, but that's really complain at Olympic level.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

http://www.sentineldaily.com.au/alter-b ... last-hero/
Myles Kennedy is holding out for a hero...

I was first introduced to Alter Bridge through my regular watching of the” violent soap opera for boys” that is the WWE. Alter Bridge provided the theme song Metalingus for one of my favourite wrestlers, Edge. So once I found out who they were, I got myself a copy of the album One Day Remains and then Blackbird when it was released which really got me into the band. I was then able to experience the band live supporting Disturbed, on the Indestructible tour many years ago in Newcastle (the Australian one). I saw the energy and gravitas that they brought to their work and was fast becoming a fan of everything they had to offer.

But what they teased at in that little taste in Newcastle was confirmed when I attended a House of Blues, Las Vegas headline gig with my mate Choppy. I was able to see what they could do when they had an audience at their mercy for a full two hours, I even managed to snare the drumstick from that gig and it sits in prime position in my spare room (think of The Pool Room in The Castle). Wow, what an awesome night. So when I knew that the guys had a new album coming out I asked for a chance to review it.

The Last Hero, the fifth album from Messrs Kennedy, Tremonti, Marshall and Phillips, is Alter Bridge through and through from start to finish. Alter Bridge rides the edge between hard rock and metal. The band is blessed with a driving rhythm section overlayed with great licks and riffs, intricate solos and amazing vocals from one of the best in the business, Myles Kennedy. After taking time off since touring to support their last album Fortress, to undertake their other projects; Myles Kennedy with Slash and Mark Tremonti with his own band, all the guys were very keen to get back together and start working on new material for the album and it shows.

A hero based theme is running through the tracks lyrically and the album is so titled. The album opener Show Me A Leader kicks off with an intro that really doesn’t hint at the power and the urgency that is about to follow with its sonic assault and Myles’ voice in fine form, at times almost pleading the chorus “Show me a leader that won’t compromise, Show me a leader so hope never dies, We need a hero this time…” This is a song, which to me, really is a comment on the state of the world today. Mark Tremonti has taken up a seven string for the first time in this song and shreds it effortlessly. This sets the album up nicely.

Following on and not letting up is a duo of tracks that have a grooving beat that are getting my feet tapping along. They are classic Alter Bridge in sound and are yet showing subtle changes to that normal sound at the same time with a deeper alternative tuning. By the time you are through the opening trio and are warmed up suitably you get another single off the album that most fans will have heard by now, My Champion. Myles wrote this song about all the people that supported him in his younger years as a small underdeveloped kid that had to work extremely hard to keep up with his peers. Lyrically this song is really uplifting, so much so that I feel like I am literally being lifted up to the sky.

Throughout the album there is a mix of up tempo tracks and only a couple of slower tracks such as Cradle to the Grave. All songs are very strong both lyrically and sonically, being driven by the very tight, unheralded rhythm section of Brian Marshall (bass) and Scott Phillips (drums). Like most of the Alter Bridge albums over the years I find that the songs grow on me after a few listens and then I start picking up the nuances abounding within the songs both lyrically and in the playing of Myles and Mark. These guys really feed of each other and if you get to see them live you can watch it in their playing together on stage.

But it seems like all the songs have been building up to the albums finale, the title track, and it is well worth the wait. This amazing piece, that is almost 7 minutes of pure listening pleasure, weaves its way from instrumental magnificence and tempo changes to heavy driving riffs. The epic nature of the song is reminiscent of the magical track that is Blackbird from that same named album. As the track ends abruptly I find myself putting it on for just one more listen…

Overall I found that there is plenty of interest in this latest offering from the guys in Alter Bridge, and I for one am looking forward to getting to sample some of these new tracks live when they tour next.

The Last Hero is due out on 7 October through Napalm Records. Check it out!

Best tracks for me are Show Me A Leader, Poison In Your Veins, My Champion, Losing Patience and The Last Hero.

dFhimz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by dFhimz »

The ability to sustainably produce earwigs is, not go missing men