Alter Bridge Summer Tour '16

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
slasherbridge
White Knuckled

Re: Alter Bridge Summer Tour '16

Post by slasherbridge »

cheesedip1 wrote:
slasherbridge wrote:
cheesedip1 wrote:
slasherbridge wrote: They did the intro as a playback track until the first drum hit. The rest is live. Which is what I suspected they would do.
Why the playback track for the intro? Could they not just play it live?

----Great live song tho.
Probably because there's too much going on for it to come across sounding good. The same reason that Metallica doesn't play the intro to Battery live. It requires like 5 guitar players.
Oh. Is there more than 2 guitars in the intro of SMAL? I never really noticed.
I think there's three. They could probably pull it off playing with two, but they might not think it sounds up to par with just two.

This was just the first live performance though. Maybe they'll do the whole intro live once they're more comfortable with it.

That being said, it was cool from a theatrical standpoint. They just finished Rise Today and walked off stage. 30 Seconds later, the playback starts going for SMAL and they take the stage one by one just as Flip hits the downbeat to start the heavy part of the intro. It was badass.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

cheesedip1 wrote:
slasherbridge wrote:
cheesedip1 wrote:
slasherbridge wrote: They did the intro as a playback track until the first drum hit. The rest is live. Which is what I suspected they would do.
Why the playback track for the intro? Could they not just play it live?

----Great live song tho.
Probably because there's too much going on for it to come across sounding good. The same reason that Metallica doesn't play the intro to Battery live. It requires like 5 guitar players.
Oh. Is there more than 2 guitars in the intro of SMAL? I never really noticed.
I think there's only two but they are heavily effected with all sorts of tremolo, phaser, delay, reverb etc... that perhaps it's hard to replicate properly with the newer streamlined guitar rigs.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

There are only 2 guitars in the intro, which is what they could easily pull off. Myles does the clean Spanish figure and Mark emphasizes low root notes with some sort of phaser (just like in Calm the Fire).
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Myles at his best :D
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

I love Myles Kenny

dFhimz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by dFhimz »

This is priceless.

Krissie
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Krissie »

Jim wrote:I love Myles Kenny

You can't NOT love Myles Kenny :D

The uploader's misspelling aside, this was funny (and I Iove him too :))

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

Summer tour is over! I think besides there EU arena tour the last few years this was there most successful tour in awhile.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

AllC392Was wrote:Summer tour is over! I think besides there EU arena tour the last few years this was there most successful tour in awhile.
Depends on how much of a guarantee they were making this tour (which aside from two shows, they were opening) compared to their US tour run back in 2014, because, other than that one festival in San Antonio, which took place in a craphole, the majority of the shows they headlined were filled right, having around 1,500 people per show?

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

AllC392Was wrote:Summer tour is over! I think besides there EU arena tour the last few years this was there most successful tour in awhile.
Agreed. I've never seen Alter Bridge do such a successful and exposure riddled tour over there. It's been good for them!

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

anguyen92 wrote:
Depends on how much of a guarantee they were making this tour (which aside from two shows, they were opening) compared to their US tour run back in 2014, because, other than that one festival in San Antonio, which took place in a craphole, the majority of the shows they headlined were filled right, having around 1,500 people per show?
successful as in exposure. I'm sure they were making shit money but 10-12k people a night will build them up.