"Show Me a Leader" discussion

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Nicklord
TABN.com Citizen

Re: "Show Me a Leader" discussion

Post by Nicklord »

Lyrics aren't cringy even if the topic is beaten to death

Tom
Jim's Brother

Post by Tom »

after giving the song a second/third listen to it's definitely grown on me, excited to see what the rest of the album brings.

Also the album version is so so much better than the radio edit..

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I definitely hear the Muse resemblance after 40 seconds or so, which doesn't hurt since they've been one of my favourite bands for 15 years.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Absolutely loved the song from the very first listen, and have listened to it about 5-6 times. I honestly don't have a single complaint. Very awesome song! I also think it's one of the best single choices that they've made. Super catchy, and I can't get the melodies out of my head.

Definitely getting some good Muse vibes throughout parts of the song. Also, I haven't seen anyone mention this so it may just be me, but does anybody else get some Dream Theater vibes from the intro (particularly when it kicks in after about 30 seconds in or so and Myles starts soloing)? I can't think of exactly which song, but there's definitely a specific song of theirs that it reminds me of.

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

chtimixeur wrote:I definitely hear the Muse resemblance after 40 seconds or so, which doesn't hurt since they've been one of my favourite bands for 15 years.
there's a different song that has a bigger Muse resemblance/influence in a part of it than this.. so you should be pleased!
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

axlar wrote:
chtimixeur wrote:I definitely hear the Muse resemblance after 40 seconds or so, which doesn't hurt since they've been one of my favourite bands for 15 years.
there's a different song that has a bigger Muse resemblance/influence in a part of it than this.. so you should be pleased!
Yay. /sarcasm
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

One Drew Remains wrote:That pause in the chorus is going to be HUGE live. Myles letting the crowd sing "WON'T!" and "HOPE!" back at them.
This is a great point. Hopefully they can keep it really tight so that it's truly silent during these pauses for maximum impact. It could sound killer if done right.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

clonedllama wrote:So...I preordered from Amazon.com and apparently the single isn't available yet (US). Usually Amazon is really good about delivering music from pre-orders as it becomes available, and the product page shows "Show Me A Leader" as being available. But I can't actually download it.

Has anyone else had this issue with this album on Amazon? I'm sure it'll probably unlock later today at some point but I'm dying to hear a high quality version of the full-length song.
Yep, I pre-ordered The Last Hero on Amazon this morning and "Show Me a Leader" was immediately added to my Amazon cloud library (from which I was able to download the mp3) to my PC/phone.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Lotha wrote:
axlar wrote:
Yay. /sarcasm
WOOHOO :D

I liked the video!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Nicklord
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Nicklord »

Does Muse and Alter Bridge have any history together? Or any of band memebers

hackingislife
TABN.com Citizen

Post by hackingislife »

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I love how the url of that video spells my name.

Fine, Alter Bridge. I'll be your leader!
Nicklord wrote:Does Muse and Alter Bridge have any history together? Or any of band memebers
They do not :)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

Nicklord wrote:Does Muse and Alter Bridge have any history together? Or any of band memebers
Myles is a big Muse fan
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

I'd just like to point out how awesome the final notes of Mark's solo are -- the way they run up the melody in tandem with the vocals of the chorus. It's those little details that put this band into a league of its own.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

abw1987 wrote:I'd just like to point out how awesome the final notes of Mark's solo are -- the way they run up the melody in tandem with the vocals of the chorus. It's those little details that put this band into a league of its own.
That vibrato it ends on is very nice too. One of the better ones I've heard from Mark.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

abw1987 wrote:I'd just like to point out how awesome the final notes of Mark's solo are -- the way they run up the melody in tandem with the vocals of the chorus. It's those little details that put this band into a league of its own.
That's the only cool thing about this solo tbh. Mark's solos have been pretty bland lately and this one is no exception.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Lotha wrote:
axlar wrote:
Yay. /sarcasm
This ^

If they can stay away from a Muse sound; I'd be overjoyed

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Jim wrote:If they can stay away from a Muse sound; I'd be overjoyed
The last time they took inspiration from Muse, they wrote one of the best songs on an album with Calm The Fire and one of their most memorable moments ever with its intro.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

If they veer to the softer aspects of Muse, I'm a fan. Calm the Fire was a Muse/Queen sounding song, and I loved it. That's the direction this band should go. That's 100% Alter Bridge.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Couple of notes :

- I think mark is doing backing vocals in the main verses and the chorus but not the 'noe-ooh-oes' or the bridge before the solo.

- Why is mark dead set on not using a fucking wah in Alter Bridge? :lol . Back in the day, that was his signature sound. His solo tone on Blackbird, Brand New Start and Buried Alice was sublime because of it.

- Is growing on me still.

- They should use Nolly Getgood to produce the next one. He does that thick, layered, powerful sound without compromising on clarity or overly compressing the mix.
Last edited by Crumbso on Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.