Alter Bridge Listening party

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Re: Alter Bridge Listening party

Post by austinjhnsn »

Agreed
Thanks Timo!

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Fuck that

I expect write ups from Ashley and ABW :)

Ashlee
Site Admin

Post by Ashlee »

I expect you to spell my name right. :-(

Ashlee
Site Admin

Post by Ashlee »

But here you go, since you asked so nicely.

I want to start by saying that I am not a musician. I don’t know technical musician terms, and I’m just saying what I’m thinking. I also want to state the caveat that I have heard all of the songs 1 time. I have taken my very best guess at some lyrics that stood out to me, but they might be incomplete or incorrect. I am sorry if this isn’t as detailed as you would like, but I’ll do my best.

Show Me A Leader
Stand Out Lyric: N/A (Wasn’t listening for lyrics at the time)

Notes: This is the song with the seven string, which I imagine is responsible for the nice, long, melodic guitar intro. This song has a giant sound which sets the pace and tone for the entire album. Myles’ voice is nothing but straight power on this one. It is the perfect opener for this album, and is going to hold up well over time. Towards the end of the song, there is a whole lot of BMarsh, which is never a bad thing. There’s a cool guitar solo toward the end, and overall I didn’t feel like this song took a huge departure from Fortress, which made it a nice refresher while being musically interesting enough to let you know more, and bigger, was coming.

The Writing on the Wall
Stand Out Lyric: “Stay and do nothing at all and be denied your greatest sin”

Notes: They played this song live, without vocals, during the sound check, and it was smack you in the face killer. This song has everything you’d want in a heavy AB song, it’s big. It’s loud. And it just has these insane heavy gallops in both the guitar work and drumming. The song continues a theme from Show Me a Leader, of needing leadership and the dangers of follow. Myles vocals just soar. If there’s a note, he’s hitting it. Pure magic. I didn’t note anything about a big solo in this one, but did write down that this is good ole reliable Tremonti guitar work. I think this one will be a favorite for many fans.

The Other Side
Stand Out Lyric(s): “They say you’ve gone too far. Who’s to blame for what you are?” “There will be no paradise, once you reach the other side.”

Notes: This song is really moody. It’s got a certain acceptance of hopelessness to it. It really follows along with the theme that’s building in the previous songs. It has a poignant bluesy intro, that in my opinion sounded like it could have been part of earlier AB. Myles goes for every note in this song. It’s going to be a hard one to sing along to. I can’t wait to listen to it again so I can try to draw some more context and meaning from it. I was so gobsmacked by how twisty it gets that it was hard to concentrate on the lyrical story the song was telling.

My Champion
Stand Out Lyric: “Sometimes you lose it all to find you got to keep fighting and get back up again. My Champion.”

Notes: This song has a stunning guitar intro that accents a change in the mood of the album thus far. My Champion is a very hopeful song. This was where I started thinking concept album. I think (granted after only one listen, might change my mind) people will reject it as a traditional concept album, not like American Idiot or Tommy, but it’s certainly thematic. All of the songs go together, and My Champion was where the pieces started to fit for me.

Poison in Your Veins
Stand Out Lyric: “You need some poison in your veins, right now!”

Notes: This was the song in which Ryan pointed out the intro was reminiscent of White Knuckles. I noted that this was so far the most sonically identifiable Alter Bridge song for me. It sounded like it would have easily fit on Blackbird or Fortress. Flip is ALLLLLL over this one, and he dominates the transitions in the music. It his you in the face. Ryan and I both thought we heard some keyboards or synthesizers on the track. It will be interesting to see how everyone likes this one.

Cradle to the Grave
Stand Out Lyric: “From the cradle to the grave, it’s a fear I can’t escape. Where will be my hiding place?”

Notes: We get some of that classic, haunting, ballad-y Myles intro and then the song just punches you in the face. I had literally two notes on this song. OMG IT WAILS. Too mesmerized to write notes. I’m regretting not being more specific, and so looking forward to hearing this again in October.

Losing Patience
Stand Out Lyric: Couldn’t make out a complete lyric.

Notes: Sorry about a lack of lyrics from this one. We’re seven songs in at this point, and it’s about the time where the spouses that were dragged along and the people who have a bit too much to drink are carrying on what they think are quiet conversations. This song is HEAVY, and it hurt my face from melting. There was so much bass and drums on this thing, and I thought Brian really shined. I was also finding a new appreciation for Flip’s drum work here. This track really highlights just how much he’s kicked things up on this record.

This Side of Fate
Stand Out Lyric(s): “We had a dream, now it’s gone. Our future was clear, we were all so very wrong.” “Don’t let us down. Don’t turn away. We made you, now.”

Notes: This is the 6:48 epic song that was mentioned alongside Blackbird in the Q&A. It delivers. I had goosebumps listening to this song. And it’s not “epic” in the way we carelessly use that word to describe cool things. It is epic in the literal sense of the word. GOOSEBUMPS guys. I made a note that I thought the song had some parts where it sounded like STYX, in the best way possible, it had a classic rock vibe to it that I just loved. Flip is an insane, galloping badass on this song.

You Will Be Remembered
Stand Out Lyric: “So I’m giving you this song. I’m giving you this song, for what you have sacrificed, it all. To see that we never fall. You will always be a hero.”

Notes: Easily the most “radio friendly” song on the album. It has a very clean, distinctive Mark Tremonti guitar tone. We thought we might have heard some piano in this one, and while it’s not a ballad, it is definitely not as heavy. This is the song BMarsh spoke about that was military themed. This was the only song where it stood out to me that Mark was singing, and owning, the background vocals. Probably the HUGE room, but I couldn’t tell where he was doing background vocals during other songs. Though he mentioned in an interview he did a lot, so I’m sure I just didn’t hear them He and Myles sound killer together in You Will Be Remembered.

Crows on a Wire
Stand Out Lyric: “Waiting just like crows on a wire, ___________, that’s all they do. Waiting to consume and devour, _______________, you know they do.”

Notes: I didn’t write down a lot about this one. The tracks are going to rank differently for everyone, and I need to give this one another fair spin. On first listen, it didn’t stand out to me. I thought it had some “Isolation” sounding guitar runs that were pretty cool.

Twilight
Stand Out Lyric: “Twilight, where do we go when it all comes down?”

Notes: This was everything you’d expect out of an Alter Bridge song. It was another that I thought might have fit nicely on an earlier album. It brings the album back to a hopeful place, and has a general theme of tolerating one another’s differences.

Island of Fools
Stand Out Lyric: “Save yourself and no one else!”

Notes: Ryan, Greg and Alex were REALLY into this one, so I hope they have a little more insight. Not being very musically minded I started to find it hard not to write the same descriptions over and over. This song is a gut punch. It goes hard and stays heavy. Mark (?) has a solo that really takes off. Last night someone asked me if Mark and Myles did a lot of back and forth guitar work on this album. I honestly don’t know how I’m supposed to know who is playing when… lol

The Last Hero
Stand Out Lyric: “Can you hear the marching, beating of the drums?”
“No one is coming to save us.”
“Is anything worth saving anymore? Don’t let us down again. We can’t fight this on our own. Have we lost? You’ll save us in the end.”

Notes: Okay, that last lyric I crossed out and rewrote a few times, so it miiiight be jumbled. ANYWAY, this was my favorite song, and I spent a lot of time writing notes about the lyrics specifically. So what I do remember is that we get that classic Myles opening vocal with a soft melody underneath, very atmospheric and then like everything else on the album, the damn thing kicks right up. Upon first listen the song seems to be about believing in someone only to be let down. There is a humongous Mark run/solo (I sometimes get told things I think are solos, are too short to be solos - so I want to be clear.) Basically this song is everything, toward the end Alex looked over and just said “Holy, fuck!” It swings you everywhere and then drops back into the atmospheric tone it started with, and gives us one of those powerful ending Myles vocal, ala Cry of Achilles.

Last of Our Kind

Notes: So, I’m basically dead from The Last Hero, and I think many people felt similarly because people started getting VERY chatty around us. Last of our Kind is a really great way to end the album, especially considering the journey you’ve just been on. I noted that Flip really shows off on this one again. Last of Our Kind is a solid Alter Bridge song. It sort of wraps you in a warm blanket and says, “I know what you’re feeling right now is confusing, and that was a dark and twisty road we just traversed, but we’re still Alter Bridge, listen…” It was almost comforting.

So, I don’t want to hype this thing to death. I know how you all get when things get hyped to the point of near impossible standards, but I’m telling you, the hype is real. This thing is amazing. I cannot wait to hear it again, because I think after a few listens it will go down as the quintessential Alter Bridge album for me.

AHart96
Were the choruses as big as the past few records? Any that specifically stood out? Sounds like My Champion is an obvious one.
Big choruses. My Champion is up there. I got to go with the title track and This Side of Fate also.

Fish Tacos
Any particular tracks have solos that made you want to relisten right away?
The Last Hero. Hands down. On Repeat.
Any back and forth between Mark / Myles ala Fortress solos or vocally?
None vocally. I can’t tell their guitars apart by just listening. I’m sure they’re there.
Any standout moments for Brian / Flip?
Hope I’ve mentioned some of this above. This Side of Fate for Flip, man it’s AWESOME. Brian serves it up from the start. I think Show Me a Leader has some incredible bass.
Any particular vocal sections that were cool like one of Myles' super long sustains?
Loved the vocal runs I was hearing in The Writing on the Wall. And I always love that atmospheric “Slip to the Void-esque” sound like in The Last Hero.

And I think the ballads question has been answered to death. I’ll try to answer any other questions, and hope the fellas will be around to help me out shortly. Also, remember. These opinions are mine, nobody else’s. Yours will undoubtedly be different, and that is OKAY :-)

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

Ashlee wrote:I expect you to spell my name right. :-(
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Thank you Ashlee! Going to read it now :)

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Thank You so much, ASHLEE! Very excited after reading that!, and don't worry about your lack of musical technicalities when describing the songs, anything is preferred over nothing :)
Last edited by SHEAKENBAKEN on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Ashlee wrote:*snip*Whole bunch of awesome*snip*
Glorious review! Thanks a ton!
For all of the hope that it brings...

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

Fantastic Ashlee!!!! Thanks for that review, the song I thought I heard a synth might have been that ebow!
Photobucket cash grab.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Ashlee wrote:But here you go, since you asked so nicely.

I want to start by saying that I am not a musician. I don’t know technical musician terms, and I’m just saying what I’m thinking. I also want to state the caveat that I have heard all of the songs 1 time. I have taken my very best guess at some lyrics that stood out to me, but they might be incomplete or incorrect. I am sorry if this isn’t as detailed as you would like, but I’ll do my best.

Show Me A Leader
Stand Out Lyric: N/A (Wasn’t listening for lyrics at the time)

Notes: This is the song with the seven string, which I imagine is responsible for the nice, long, melodic guitar intro. This song has a giant sound which sets the pace and tone for the entire album. Myles’ voice is nothing but straight power on this one. It is the perfect opener for this album, and is going to hold up well over time. Towards the end of the song, there is a whole lot of BMarsh, which is never a bad thing. There’s a cool guitar solo toward the end, and overall I didn’t feel like this song took a huge departure from Fortress, which made it a nice refresher while being musically interesting enough to let you know more, and bigger, was coming.

The Writing on the Wall
Stand Out Lyric: “Stay and do nothing at all and be denied your greatest sin”

Notes: They played this song live, without vocals, during the sound check, and it was smack you in the face killer. This song has everything you’d want in a heavy AB song, it’s big. It’s loud. And it just has these insane heavy gallops in both the guitar work and drumming. The song continues a theme from Show Me a Leader, of needing leadership and the dangers of follow. Myles vocals just soar. If there’s a note, he’s hitting it. Pure magic. I didn’t note anything about a big solo in this one, but did write down that this is good ole reliable Tremonti guitar work. I think this one will be a favorite for many fans.

The Other Side
Stand Out Lyric(s): “They say you’ve gone too far. Who’s to blame for what you are?” “There will be no paradise, once you reach the other side.”

Notes: This song is really moody. It’s got a certain acceptance of hopelessness to it. It really follows along with the theme that’s building in the previous songs. It has a poignant bluesy intro, that in my opinion sounded like it could have been part of earlier AB. Myles goes for every note in this song. It’s going to be a hard one to sing along to. I can’t wait to listen to it again so I can try to draw some more context and meaning from it. I was so gobsmacked by how twisty it gets that it was hard to concentrate on the lyrical story the song was telling.

My Champion
Stand Out Lyric: “Sometimes you lose it all to find you got to keep fighting and get back up again. My Champion.”

Notes: This song has a stunning guitar intro that accents a change in the mood of the album thus far. My Champion is a very hopeful song. This was where I started thinking concept album. I think (granted after only one listen, might change my mind) people will reject it as a traditional concept album, not like American Idiot or Tommy, but it’s certainly thematic. All of the songs go together, and My Champion was where the pieces started to fit for me.

Poison in Your Veins
Stand Out Lyric: “You need some poison in your veins, right now!”

Notes: This was the song in which Ryan pointed out the intro was reminiscent of White Knuckles. I noted that this was so far the most sonically identifiable Alter Bridge song for me. It sounded like it would have easily fit on Blackbird or Fortress. Flip is ALLLLLL over this one, and he dominates the transitions in the music. It his you in the face. Ryan and I both thought we heard some keyboards or synthesizers on the track. It will be interesting to see how everyone likes this one.

Cradle to the Grave
Stand Out Lyric: “From the cradle to the grave, it’s a fear I can’t escape. Where will be my hiding place?”

Notes: We get some of that classic, haunting, ballad-y Myles intro and then the song just punches you in the face. I had literally two notes on this song. OMG IT WAILS. Too mesmerized to write notes. I’m regretting not being more specific, and so looking forward to hearing this again in October.

Losing Patience

Notes: Sorry about a lack of lyrics from this one. We’re seven songs in at this point, and it’s about the time where the spouses that were dragged along and the people who have a bit too much to drink are carrying on what they think are quiet conversations. This song is HEAVY, and it hurt my face from melting. There was so much bass and drums on this thing, and I thought Brian really shined. I was also finding a new appreciation for Flip’s drum work here. This track really highlights just how much he’s kicked things up on this record.

This Side of Fate
Stand Out Lyric(s): “We had a dream, now it’s gone. Our future was clear, we were all so very wrong.” “Don’t let us down. Don’t turn away. We made you, now.”

Notes: This is the 6:48 epic song that was mentioned alongside Blackbird in the Q&A. It delivers. I had goosebumps listening to this song. And it’s not “epic” in the way we carelessly use that word to describe cool things. It is epic in the literal sense of the word. GOOSEBUMPS guys. I made a note that I thought the song had some parts where it sounded like STYX, in the best way possible, it had a classic rock vibe to it that I just loved. Flip is an insane, galloping badass on this song.

You Will Be Remembered
Stand Out Lyric: “So I’m giving you this song. I’m giving you this song, for what you have sacrificed, it all. To see that we never fall. You will always be a hero.”

Notes: Easily the most “radio friendly” song on the album. It has a very clean, distinctive Mark Tremonti guitar tone. We thought we might have heard some piano in this one, and while it’s not a ballad, it is definitely not as heavy. This is the song BMarsh spoke about that was military themed. This was the only song where it stood out to me that Mark was singing, and owning, the background vocals. Probably the HUGE room, but I couldn’t tell where he was doing background vocals during other songs. Though he mentioned in an interview he did a lot, so I’m sure I just didn’t hear them He and Myles sound killer together in You Will Be Remembered.

Crows on a Wire
Stand Out Lyric: “Waiting just like crows on a wire, ___________, that’s all they do. Waiting to consume and devour, _______________, you know they do.”

Notes: I didn’t write down a lot about this one. The tracks are going to rank differently for everyone, and I need to give this one another fair spin. On first listen, it didn’t stand out to me. I thought it had some “Isolation” sounding guitar runs that were pretty cool.

Twilight
Stand Out Lyric: “Twilight, where do we go when it all comes down?”

Notes: This was everything you’d expect out of an Alter Bridge song. It was another that I thought might have fit nicely on an earlier album. It brings the album back to a hopeful place, and has a general theme of tolerating one another’s differences.

Island of Fools
Stand Out Lyric: “Save yourself and no one else!”

Notes: Ryan, Greg and Alex were REALLY into this one, so I hope they have a little more insight. Not being very musically minded I started to find it hard not to write the same descriptions over and over. This song is a gut punch. It goes hard and stays heavy. Mark (?) has a solo that really takes off. Last night someone asked me if Mark and Myles did a lot of back and forth guitar work on this album. I honestly don’t know how I’m supposed to know who is playing when… lol

The Last Hero
Stand Out Lyric: “Can you hear the marching, beating of the drums?”
“No one is coming to save us.”
“Is anything worth saving anymore? Don’t let us down again. We can’t fight this on our own. Have we lost? You’ll save us in the end.”

Notes: Okay, that last lyric I crossed out and rewrote a few times, so it miiiight be jumbled. ANYWAY, this was my favorite song, and I spent a lot of time writing notes about the lyrics specifically. So what I do remember is that we get that classic Myles opening vocal with a soft melody underneath, very atmospheric and then like everything else on the album, the damn thing kicks right up. Upon first listen the song seems to be about believing in someone only to be let down. There is a humongous Mark run/solo (I sometimes get told things I think are solos, are too short to be solos - so I want to be clear.) Basically this song is everything, toward the end Alex looked over and just said “Holy, fuck!” It swings you everywhere and then drops back into the atmospheric tone it started with, and gives us one of those powerful ending Myles vocal, ala Cry of Achilles.

Last of Our Kind

Notes: So, I’m basically dead from The Last Hero, and I think many people felt similarly because people started getting VERY chatty around us. Last of our Kind is a really great way to end the album, especially considering the journey you’ve just been on. I noted that Flip really shows off on this one again. Last of Our Kind is a solid Alter Bridge song. It sort of wraps you in a warm blanket and says, “I know what you’re feeling right now is confusing, and that was a dark and twisty road we just traversed, but we’re still Alter Bridge, listen…” It was almost comforting.

So, I don’t want to hype this thing to death. I know how you all get when things get hyped to the point of near impossible standards, but I’m telling you, the hype is real. This thing is amazing. I cannot wait to hear it again, because I think after a few listens it will go down as the quintessential Alter Bridge album for me.

AHart96
Were the choruses as big as the past few records? Any that specifically stood out? Sounds like My Champion is an obvious one.
Big choruses. My Champion is up there. I got to go with the title track and This Side of Fate also.

Fish Tacos
Any particular tracks have solos that made you want to relisten right away?
The Last Hero. Hands down. On Repeat.
Any back and forth between Mark / Myles ala Fortress solos or vocally?
None vocally. I can’t tell their guitars apart by just listening. I’m sure they’re there.
Any standout moments for Brian / Flip?
Hope I’ve mentioned some of this above. This Side of Fate for Flip, man it’s AWESOME. Brian serves it up from the start. I think Show Me a Leader has some incredible bass.
Any particular vocal sections that were cool like one of Myles' super long sustains?
Loved the vocal runs I was hearing in The Writing on the Wall. And I always love that atmospheric “Slip to the Void-esque” sound like in The Last Hero.

And I think the ballads question has been answered to death. I’ll try to answer any other questions, and hope the fellas will be around to help me out shortly. Also, remember. These opinions are mine, nobody else’s. Yours will undoubtedly be different, and that is OKAY :-)
I love you. I just bought my ticket for the hype train!

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I think I'm going to need to buy a diary, purely so I can make a point of clearing it for the week following the 7th October. My birthday can piss off.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

So I just finished reading and I'm pretty excited, especially the "Holy, fuck" part.

The lyric you wrote "Don’t let us down. Don’t turn away. We made you, now.” almost makes me wonder if there's any sense of AB's relationship with their fans in there but I'll have to wait to see the context.

Would you say there were any "ethereal" type moments like the Calm the Fire intro or mostly just moody, heavy and hard rock?

Did you feel like the album's lack of a ballad or two detracted from the overall experience if it was more of a themed album?

Were there any lighter songs that weren't ballads (ie Down to My Last)?

Did you think Myle's Slash voice was present or that he had worked to bring back that ODR voice?

Did the band members say anything about which tracks were their favorites? This was something they called out for the live portion setlist, but they might not have if they played mostly old stuff.

Did you feel the longer songs were less formulaic while the shorter ones were fairly straight forward (something people said a lot about Cauterize/Dust)?

Thank youuuu
Last edited by Fish Tacos on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Ubik wrote:I think I'm going to need to buy a diary, purely so I can make a point of clearing it for the week following the 7th October. My birthday can piss off.
What? Buy a diary and do what with it? :headscratch

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Clearly he's going to bake a cake with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Fish Tacos wrote:Clearly he's going to bake a cake with it.
:lol It's just the way he worded his post. I'm confused.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

And use the pages to make rudimentary balloons.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Honestly, I'm not worried about the lack of ballads, which is crazy for me to say, because I love a good ballad. My favorite album of all time is Blackbird, and really the only ballad is Watch Over You (which I don't listen to quite as much anymore, compared to the rest of the album). I'm sure there are some emotional "softer" songs (think Brand New Start) to fill that "feels" emotion that AB albums usually evoke.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

To answer one question Fishy, I don't think the lack of a true ballad detracted at all. In fact, I found myself waiting for one, especially after reading some song titles, and it never came. I rejoiced. While I like Watch Over You and the like, they're skipped in my car (where 98% of my listening to music occurs) like 99.98% of the time.

As far as Myles' voice goes, I can't answer. The album was played through the PA system the band played through later and it was loud as hell. That and when I see AB live and Myles talks between songs he sounds like a chipmunk to me now or like he's on helium. Because everything is so loud it's destroying my hearing. I know this because watching YouTube videos of chatter between songs doesn't do this to me. He sounds normal in the vids.
Photobucket cash grab.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Anything that was of a similar style to Lover? The Other Side maybe?

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

This album I'm going to try everything in my power to only listen to the single, and save the rest for when I have the album in my hands. I want that same experience I had when I heard Blackbird and One Day Remains for the first time (I was late to the party, BB just came out when I heard about AB).