The Official BLACK STONE CHERRY Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Re: The Official BLACK STONE CHERRY Thread

Post by One Drew Remains »

It passed the running test. Ran 6 miles to it today. Shakin My Cage is a favorite. That groove in the chorus gets me. I wish AB would write chorus riffs that are chopped up like that. I like Cheaper To Drink Alone, The Rambler, Soul Machine as well.

I like In Our Dreams alot. But I don't care for the effect the play over the main riff so much. It'll probably grow on me though.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

One Drew Remains wrote:It passed the running test. Ran 6 miles to it today. Shakin My Cage is a favorite. That groove in the chorus gets me. I wish AB would write chorus riffs that are chopped up like that. I like Cheaper To Drink Alone, The Rambler, Soul Machine as well.

I like In Our Dreams alot. But I don't care for the effect the play over the main riff so much. It'll probably grow on me though.
I'm completely with you. Shakin My Cage is my favorite so far aswell. I think the album is overall growing, slowly. In Our Dreams is an amazing song aswell. I don't get why it is disliked by so many ppl.

Kreuger33
Loyal Follower

Post by Kreuger33 »

Finally these guys are back on track. Few minor complaints here. Lyrics at times are lame, the huge fuzz sounds is a bit repetitive too. But its closer to the first 2 albums, which I loved.

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

This album is a big step back in the right back for these guys, for sure. It doesn't quite have the magic of FOLKLORE, but that's just a qualitative thing. For the first time in a long time, they actually sound like themselves.

Reallllllly wish that "War" cover wasn't on there, though. That's a bonus track, not middle-of-your-comeback-album stuff.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

devv88 wrote:This album is a big step back in the right back for these guys, for sure. It doesn't quite have the magic of FOLKLORE, but that's just a qualitative thing. For the first time in a long time, they actually sound like themselves.
I'm still trying to digest the album, although my feelings are very similar to yours. It's so much better than Magic Mountain.

Long Ride is a really special song, I think it would be better if it was more acoustic-based, but it's a fantastic long nevertheless. With the exception of Long Ride, nothing has stood out so far, but I do expect the album to grow on me.

Black Stone Cherry's albums have a tendency to not sound so great (with the exception of the third), and this album isn't much different, it seems very loud and fuzzy to my ears, but then again, I don't listen to BSC expecting fantastic production anyway.

I think the album starts off quite poorly with Way of the Future and In Our Dreams (although it's a cool sound instrumentally), but the album definitely does improve.

Rosenblaetter
Loyal Follower

Post by Rosenblaetter »

What a nice suprise, this album.
BSC sounds authentic again...
:yes
FYI I'm a woman.
--------------------
Past shows: Alter Bridge 10.11 NL, Kensington 11.11 NL, Alter Bridge 16.11 PL
Future shows: Kensington 15.02 DE, Kensington 17.02 PL, Rival Sons 18.02 PL

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

BSC wrote:
devv88 wrote:This album is a big step back in the right back for these guys, for sure. It doesn't quite have the magic of FOLKLORE, but that's just a qualitative thing. For the first time in a long time, they actually sound like themselves.
I'm still trying to digest the album, although my feelings are very similar to yours. It's so much better than Magic Mountain.

Long Ride is a really special song, I think it would be better if it was more acoustic-based, but it's a fantastic long nevertheless. With the exception of Long Ride, nothing has stood out so far, but I do expect the album to grow on me.

Black Stone Cherry's albums have a tendency to not sound so great (with the exception of the third), and this album isn't much different, it seems very loud and fuzzy to my ears, but then again, I don't listen to BSC expecting fantastic production anyway.

I think the album starts off quite poorly with Way of the Future and In Our Dreams (although it's a cool sound instrumentally), but the album definitely does improve.
Interesting you admit to not liking how the band sounds generally apart from their 3rd album. (their most overly produced, LA album).. And your username is 'BSC'

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I thought the same. Speaking of magic mountain, I did kind of like that they carried a little bit of fuzz over to this album.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Nick_917
Loyal Follower

Post by Nick_917 »

Timotheus wrote:
Nick_917 wrote:I also love that they covered War. Honestly, I don't even know if I had heard the original before (my only memory of it is when Elaine mentioned it on Seinfeld :lol ), but I'm just so happy to see them go out of their comfort zone and do something like that. And yes, I'll definitely check out the original later.
[youtube]http://youtu.be/r-bA9FYB8HY[/youtube]

:D
:lol :lol :lol Thank you for enlightening me!
"Whatever takes us away
Will be the same to drive us on."

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Jim wrote:
BSC wrote:

Interesting you admit to not liking how the band sounds generally apart from their 3rd album. (their most overly produced, LA album).. And your username is 'BSC'
I think you've misunderstood me. I'm not referring to the musical quality of the songs, I'm talking about the overall sound of their albums, the production and the dynamics. I find a lot of their albums to be overly fuzzy and loud. I agree that their third album is their most produced, in terms of being crafted for the radio and the involvement of external writers, although it is their best sounding album, at least to my ears.

Although I dislike the production on most of their albums, Folklore and Superstition is still one of my favourite albums. My username is 'BSC' as they were my favourite band at the time of signing up and I couldn't think of a more original name, and I don't really see what my username has to do with me disliking how Black Stone Cherry's albums sound? Surely I don't have to like every single aspect of the band?

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

BSC wrote:
Jim wrote:
BSC wrote:

I think you've misunderstood me. I'm not referring to the musical quality of the songs, I'm talking about the overall sound of their albums, the production and the dynamics. I find a lot of their albums to be overly fuzzy and loud. I agree that their third album is their most produced, in terms of being crafted for the radio and the involvement of external writers, although it is their best sounding album, at least to my ears.

Although I dislike the production on most of their albums, Folklore and Superstition is still one of my favourite albums. My username is 'BSC' as they were my favourite band at the time of signing up and I couldn't think of a more original name, and I don't really see what my username has to do with me disliking how Black Stone Cherry's albums sound? Surely I don't have to like every single aspect of the band?
I understood ya man, it just surprised me that someone who calls himself BSC had such a problem with the production of that band's music :lol :lol No need to get defensive pal, wasn't getting into one with ya..
No you're absolutely right; a fan doesn't have to LOVE every aspect of the band.. As I said, i figured you were a much bigger fan due to your name being BSC, apologies :headbang

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

Just on my second spin now. Wasn't overly impressed on my first listen, but enjoying it much more now. Definitely better than Magic Mountain but not sure where it'll sit in the album ranking for me. Probably 3rd I reckon. Still not a big fan of the "fuzzy" guitars that MM brought and continues on here (although not quite as intrusive) - I just think it makes the songs sound muddy and samey. Folklore had the best production, in my opinion. Pretty good effort though.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

No worries Jim (not going to quote you as it'll be rather long), apologies if I appeared a bit defensive, I guess it's another example of where tone of voice is difficult to convey over the Internet.

Despite my issues with the production, the songs are good nonetheless so I'm able to enjoy them. I'm still trying to digest the new album, the three bonus tracks stand out much more than anything else on the album and are the most memorable at the moment but I'm waiting for the rest of the album to grow on me.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

I get what you're saying though. The fuzzy guitar tone is all over this new album, I noticed it long ago. I could've actually done with 2-3 less songs on the album so it wasn't so obvious

But as Ben says in the documentary, they like how raw and fuzzy and mistake riddled it is; it makes it unique.

Nick_917
Loyal Follower

Post by Nick_917 »

Jim wrote: But as Ben says in the documentary, they like how raw and fuzzy and mistake riddled it is; it makes it unique.
You don't see many albums with mistakes anymore. Everything is so polished nowadays it can make you sick. That's a reason I like this album so much. It's far from perfect and yet that makes it fresh.
"Whatever takes us away
Will be the same to drive us on."

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

Nick_917 wrote:
Jim wrote: But as Ben says in the documentary, they like how raw and fuzzy and mistake riddled it is; it makes it unique.
You don't see many albums with mistakes anymore. Everything is so polished nowadays it can make you sick. That's a reason I like this album so much. It's far from perfect and yet that makes it fresh.
Sorry, but I have to disagree. It doesn't sound fresh at all to me. Its a good(ish) album but not THAT much better than Magic Mountain, in my opinion. It think its sounds a bit stale, like they're running out of ideas. For freshness, Folklore was where it's at. :bow

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Nick_917 wrote:
There isn't a drop of vocal tuning or effects either on it, it's literally just as Chris sings it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Apparently, BSC had a proshot live stream on Yahoo yesterday. How did I miss that? I seriously hope AB gets one of these someday. If BSC got one, there should be no reasons why AB should not get one.

The replay is here though for only a brief while.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/livenation/ ... soc_trk=ma

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

anguyen92 wrote:Apparently, BSC had a proshot live stream on Yahoo yesterday. How did I miss that?
They literally posted that every day on twitter since 2 weeks.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Right, so BSC released a music video of The Rambler. It features country guy Billy Ray Cyrus (yes, the guy that did Achey Breaky Heart, and the father of that one messed-up pop star) as the main character of the video. I'd say the video looks good with a decent story.