The Official MAYFIELD FOUR Thread

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: The Official MAYFIELD FOUR Thread

Post by Timotheus »

Yea, I have no clue. To me it doesn't matter what he says. To me it's just the perfect burst of emotion that brilliantly finishes the song.

Good luck with the break up.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

hackingislife
TABN.com Citizen

Post by hackingislife »

Timotheus wrote:Yea, I have no clue. To me it doesn't matter what he says. To me it's just the perfect burst of emotion that brilliantly finishes the song.

Good luck with the break up.
It's definitely one of my absolute favorite moments in Myles' singing. I just like singing along at times, and knowing the lyrics helps out big time, haha. Thanks.

Anyccka
Bought The CDs

Post by Anyccka »

Can someone post here a good link for "Mercy Rub" on YouTube please? Or any other link? My old one doesn´t work and the new one isn´t complete - it stops at 4:03 - DAMN...

Thanks

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/iStGOHJUSaM[/youtube]
For all of the hope that it brings...

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

I hope if Myles does an acoustic tour someday, he'll play some of the other Mayfield Four songs or something. To hear him play "All The Same" or "Reigns Over Me" would be unreal.

Note: Also, does anyone know how much Myles contributed to the Mayfield Four songs in general? I saw the back of the 'Motion" ep and it said that all songs were by Myles Kennedy and all the arrangements were by the Mayfield Four. Not only that, but according to Allmusic, Myles wrote pretty much all the Mayfield Four songs, except 'Overflow', 'Forfeit' and 'Shuddershell' were full band collaborations (No idea about the 5 unreleased songs on Youtube).

Note 2: Do we know which Mayfield Four songs that Myles or the band has never performed live? I know he's performed Forfeit, Shuddershell, no one nothing, and fallout live. And then as a solo act at Bofest, he performed Eden, Mars hotel, and white flag live. Not knowing for sure, I checked out the setlist at setlist.fm. According to that website, it seems that the band definitely played all the ones from Second Skin live except for Summergirl. Also, the site said that Sucker Punch has been played live.

Note 3: What is Myles singing in the background on the 3rd chorus of 'Flatley's Crutch'? Sounds like 'la la la'. Either that, or "it's over now".

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Also, IMO my favorite songs by Mayfield four/Citizen Swing are:

Reigns Over Me- (This one is just epic. Great solo, lyrics, moody-ness, and outro. This one is great. )

Mercy Rub - (It just has some epic moments to it)

All The Same- (Great song. Hands down.)

Mars Hotel- (Great song with great lyrics)

Always- (Just good song in general. I see why this one was chosen as a single)

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

I love the first MF4 album so much. Myles vocal performance and the guitars have such a unique sound. Every single song gives me chills on that album.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

I like both of the MF4 albums. I thought the first one was better put together though.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

12/31, Reigns Over Me, Believe, Fallout, Summergirl and White Flag are my favorites. I really hope Myles's lyrics on his solo album are closer to his older style of writing.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

I am a big MF4 fan, btw. But come to think of it, some of their songs are pretty average. (I know, I know, opinions are a dime a dozen).

I mean Flatley's Crutch is nothing special (might as well substitute a Nickelback pop song for this one, considering they are about the same) even if I happen to like the song. Same with Shuddershell, Carry On and High.

Also, Realign, Summergirl, and Lyla would probably be pretty average as well if it wasn't for the fact that Myles can sing so high and add more flair to the song.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Summergirl is just powerful in its own right... Nothing average about that song!
Thanks Timo!

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

austinjhnsn wrote:Summergirl is just powerful in its own right... Nothing average about that song!
Yeah what he said! :yeahthat

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Take away that last chorus from Summergirl and it would still be one of Myles' best vocal performances ever. The lyrics, the melodies, his tone... That last chorus takes it to the next level, but that doesn't take anything away from the first part of the song.

I have no idea how somebody can listen to Flatley's Crutch and associate it with Nickelback. Out of all projects Myles has worked on since the 00's, I'd say TMF4 is the least Nickelback sounding.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

I can put on the MF4 and it's like hearing it for the first time, everytime. The emotion and intensity in songs like OverFlow, Always, Fallout, White Flag, Summergirl, etc is just stunning.

Takes my breath away every time.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I still experience a form of transcendence whenever I put on Big Verb.
For all of the hope that it brings...

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Ubik wrote:I still experience a form of transcendence whenever I put on Big Verb.
Love that one.
Timotheus wrote:
I have no idea how somebody can listen to Flatley's Crutch and associate it with Nickelback. Out of all projects Myles has worked on since the 00's, I'd say TMF4 is the least Nickelback sounding.
I meant Nickelback in terms of bland and unoriginal. Flatley's Crutch is the same progression the whole song. Plus there's no way that song would sound amazing live. The production with the wall of sound on the album is what gives it it's ommph. I mean look, I like the song too but to call it AMAZING is just ridiculous.
Timotheus wrote: Take away that last chorus from Summergirl and it would still be one of Myles' best vocal performances ever.

The lyrics, the melodies,

That last chorus takes it to the next level, but that doesn't take anything away from the first part of the song.
Not sure if I agree with you here.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

cheesedip1 wrote:
Timotheus wrote:I have no idea how somebody can listen to Flatley's Crutch and associate it with Nickelback. Out of all projects Myles has worked on since the 00's, I'd say TMF4 is the least Nickelback sounding.
I meant Nickelback in terms of bland and unoriginal. Flatley's Crutch is the same progression the whole song. Plus there's no way that song would sound amazing live. The production with the wall of sound on the album is what gives it it's ommph. I mean look, I like the song too but to call it AMAZING is just ridiculous.
Flatley's Crutch isn't always the same progression. The main riff stays on the root and during the verses the bass stays on the root as well, which gives it a completely different feeling than the chorus, even though the guitar indeed plays the chorus chords. Having one progression for an entire song isn't always unoriginal by the way. Famous examples are All Along The Watchtower and Hey Joe.

That live comment is absolute nonsense. There's absolutely no reason why it wouldn't work live. It's a bass oriented song and with the right distortion on the guitars in the chorus and bridge that big sound would be perfectly achievable.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Flatley's Crutch isn't always the same progression. The main riff stays on the root and during the verses the bass stays on the root as well, which gives it a completely different feeling than the chorus, even though the guitar indeed plays the chorus chords. Having one progression for an entire song isn't always unoriginal by the way. Famous examples are All Along The Watchtower and Hey Joe.

That live comment is absolute nonsense. There's absolutely no reason why it wouldn't work live. It's a bass oriented song and with the right distortion on the guitars in the chorus and bridge that big sound would be perfectly achievable.

You make good points. I still think the song is bland tho, original or not. Even with the root change ups.

Imo, the reason MF4 did not make it big was because of many factors. But one of those factors was because of the fact that they just aren't as amazing as other bands like Alter Bridge or Metallica. I'm not saying Myles + the band aren't talented, just that some of their songs are average.

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

Alter Bridge have more average songs than MF4. It was a solid band and it's a shame they didn't last longer than they did.

There are a dozen of shitty bands that are "bigger" than MF4. The one factor that is NOT a reason for MF4's lack of commercial success is the supposed lack of quality songs.

Btw, isn't Reigns Over Me one of the songs that were never released? I remember loving it but I only listened to it once, cuz it was taken down soon after it was uploaded by one of the members of MF4...

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

cheesedip1 wrote:Imo, the reason MF4 did not make it big was because of many factors. But one of those factors was because of the fact that they just aren't as amazing as other bands like Alter Bridge or Metallica. I'm not saying Myles + the band aren't talented, just that some of their songs are average.
Alter Bridge is only as big as they are because of Creed.

Sometimes you just have to be lucky as a band. TMF4 wasn't. I remember Myles once saying in an interview that he regrets giving up on TMF4 so early. I think they could've made it as a band if they would've been patient and would've kept going, but when you have to provide for a family and your management isn't on your side I can imagine it's really demotivating.
Violent Corpse wrote:Alter Bridge have more average songs than MF4. It was a solid band and it's a shame they didn't last longer than they did.

Btw, isn't Reigns Over Me one of the songs that were never released? I remember loving it but I only listened to it once, cuz it was taken down soon after it was uploaded by one of the members of MF4...
[youtube]http://youtu.be/7Gjl6OB1PH4[/youtube]
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.