Live in Milan

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Re: Live in Milan

Post by Mr. Slash »

AB BATMAN wrote:Despite the sound issues, there was no way this would come out after the (ongoing!) box set debacle. The only reason the band continued to talk to DC3 about it was because they had been threatened with a breach of contract lawsuit if they forced it to be shelved (at least that's what I was told by a DC3 employee).

Truth of the matter is, though, this thing would have looked like shit. Shot with a bunch of different camera models with varying sensors because there was no real budget (it was being borrowed from the ABX doc budget and box set sales), and "directed" with the "director" only being able to see maybe 3 of the 10-12 cameras that were filming. Complete money grab, just like the box set.

Let someone who actually has passion about the band and passion about what they do film them instead of someone who'll just phone it in. Then you'll get a great product.
You have some sources for the stuff you are talking about?

RoelSmoel
Isolated

Post by RoelSmoel »

If you read everything he posted in the past, I'm pretty sure he has.
Live in Milan won't happen anymore. If DC3 did a better job on the boxset debacle, there might have been a chance.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

He used to work at DC3.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

luke62
White Knuckled

Post by luke62 »

I hope Fret12 handles everything from here on out. Everything with Tremonti has been top notch & very professional.

AB BATMAN
Bought The CDs

Post by AB BATMAN »

Mr. Slash wrote:
AB BATMAN wrote:Despite the sound issues, there was no way this would come out after the (ongoing!) box set debacle. The only reason the band continued to talk to DC3 about it was because they had been threatened with a breach of contract lawsuit if they forced it to be shelved (at least that's what I was told by a DC3 employee).

Truth of the matter is, though, this thing would have looked like shit. Shot with a bunch of different camera models with varying sensors because there was no real budget (it was being borrowed from the ABX doc budget and box set sales), and "directed" with the "director" only being able to see maybe 3 of the 10-12 cameras that were filming. Complete money grab, just like the box set.

Let someone who actually has passion about the band and passion about what they do film them instead of someone who'll just phone it in. Then you'll get a great product.

Yes, I do. And I was there for the filming at Milan, in person, as part of the crew. I was there after Milan, when we edited the "Inside the Fortress" doc, and I had left the company when the live in Milan trailer was released, which only had 3 or 4 actual angles of the show, because the company that provided cameras and cameramen for the show had never been paid, and wouldn't release the footage.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

AB BATMAN wrote: which only had 3 or 4 actual angles of the show, because the company that provided cameras and cameramen for the show had never been paid, and wouldn't release the footage.
Wooooooow, DC3 must be a real shithole.

AB BATMAN
Bought The CDs

Post by AB BATMAN »

It was a great place to waste two years of my life.

Metal8713
Brand New Start

Post by Metal8713 »

AB BATMAN wrote:
Mr. Slash wrote:

Yes, I do. And I was there for the filming at Milan, in person, as part of the crew. I was there after Milan, when we edited the "Inside the Fortress" doc, and I had left the company when the live in Milan trailer was released, which only had 3 or 4 actual angles of the show, because the company that provided cameras and cameramen for the show had never been paid, and wouldn't release the footage.
So for the record who has the audio/video mastertapes for this live cd and dvd. its an darn shame that it hasnt been released yet. and propabbly never will. maybe we can do something about this. by making life hard to the ones who will not share this. it should be returned to the righfull owners wich in this case are the ones who played at that venue and performned an kick ass show and thats Alter Bridge. So if we are sure that DC3 music group still has these files then we should spam their site

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Not worth it, DC3 is a dick.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Metal8713 wrote:So for the record who has the audio/video mastertapes for this live cd and dvd. its an darn shame that it hasnt been released yet. and propabbly never will. maybe we can do something about this. by making life hard to the ones who will not share this. it should be returned to the righfull owners wich in this case are the ones who played at that venue and performned an kick ass show and thats Alter Bridge. So if we are sure that DC3 music group still has these files then we should spam their site
Yeah, can we not be the fan base that acts like assholes and badgers people on the internet?

From AB Batman's comments, it sounds like the camera crew company was never paid by DC3 to release the material, which giving the benefit of the doubt could be for a lot of reasons. Just because AB performed the show doesn't mean they (or we, for that matter) are entitled to the footage. And from the sounds of it, we would be disappointed by the spotty production quality anyway.

I'd like to see a professionally-shot recording of this show as much as anyone but for now I suggest we all move on...

Felypesh
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Felypesh »

The only good thing that DC3 has done was the Amsterdam DVD, everything else is garbage, if Fret12 have the plan of doing live shows as DVD then Im sure they can make a superb work, you can see the profesionalism and the quality on what they do.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

anguyen92 wrote:I want to get excited about buying Dust, Myles' solo album, and AB V and maybe another AB DVD not produced by DC3. Yeah.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Fish Tacos wrote:
anguyen92 wrote:I want to get excited about buying Dust, Myles' solo album, and AB V and maybe another AB DVD not produced by DC3. Yeah.
Well, if we are counting the O2 Arena live album, three out of the four is not that bad. The other one, though, was really highly anticipated.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Fish Tacos wrote:

And I'm just sitting here, waiting for Downshifter to get started. :(

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Felypesh wrote:The only good thing that DC3 has done was the Amsterdam DVD, everything else is garbage, if Fret12 have the plan of doing live shows as DVD then Im sure they can make a superb work, you can see the profesionalism and the quality on what they do.
To be honest I thought Wembley turned out great from a production perspective. The problem was AB's performance. (Sorry... too fast, and Myles sounded exhausted.) I'd love to see what Fret 12 could put together though.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

abw1987 wrote:
Felypesh wrote:The only good thing that DC3 has done was the Amsterdam DVD, everything else is garbage, if Fret12 have the plan of doing live shows as DVD then Im sure they can make a superb work, you can see the profesionalism and the quality on what they do.
To be honest I thought Wembley turned out great from a production perspective. The problem was AB's performance. (Sorry... too fast, and Myles sounded exhausted.) I'd love to see what Fret 12 could put together though.
Same for the Creed DVD, right? The production was great, only Scott sucked ass.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Mr. Slash wrote:
abw1987 wrote:
Same for the Creed DVD, right? The production was great, only Scott sucked ass.
Yeah, plus the pitch correction they applied in post-production was cringeworthy. You wonder whether it would've been better leaving the original out-of-tune vocals.

Felypesh
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Felypesh »

abw1987 wrote:
Actually yeah, that was good too and I can add the ATP video, but I don't know if that's a DC3 thing or just Catullo's, but whatever, the Isolation music video? that was disappointing to me at least, the menu of the Amsterdam DVD looked like an amateur job, and well the box set, the desing of the actual box was horrible and amateur too, the constant delays on all their work, the promised 3D version of the Wembley Bluray that never came out, and who knows what else.

ESPImperium
Bought The CDs

Post by ESPImperium »

The main problems with the Wembley performance to me are the band were not on the top of their game, and as a result played too fast. Secondly the mastered sound was awful, there was too much cutting into the mid range frequencies, specifically the lower mid range, making the overall sound hollow. And finally the bands energy was pretty low, due to scheduling conflicts between tour and filming needs and the need of the Wembley Arena to be used by other acts, the band needed at least 2 but ideally 3 days but not more than 4 days off before the performance, this would have been a great way for the band to regain energy and Myles to wrap himself up in cotton wool and protect his voice. It would have also have given them time to rent some rehearsal space and get their act together to sound tight.

On the DC3 side of things, id much rather they shot the thing in 1080p and forget the 3D thing, as i have heard that is a steaming pile of doo-doo as well as it has sync issues on many of the cameras as they are out of phase.

DC3 hit pay dirt with Amsterdam and thought it would be a much easier thing with Wembley, but with many new technologies that were being more widely used at the time, and more cameras. They had success with the Creed performance in the interim, so they thought they had track record by then.

Milan will never see the light of day, they tried it on a shoe string, blamed it on borrowed gear and their gear being caught up in customs, as it was. However it was DC3 failing to provide the proper documentation to the customs authority at Heathrow as they came into Europe that way I'm led to believe. They should just have cut their losses and made a more stripped down format with the cameras they had, maybe one or two other cameras as well for a more grainy and more 'fan type' feel, and then take the audio straight from the board. A stripped down and more raw approach to a Live DVD/BD.

It looks, at the moment to me, that DC3 are trying to get their act together by releasing performance DVDs from Brad Paisley and some other country acts. Ive still to see the Brad Paisley performance (I've got it) but i am thinking its more like Amsterdam somehow, or i get that feeling it will be like Amsterdam.