The Official SHINEDOWN Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: The Official SHINEDOWN Thread

Post by Timotheus »

Black Cadallic is a good pop song. I think it has a bit of a Us & Them feel, but poppier of course. The other songs are completely forgettable to me. The thing that bugs me the most about these new songs is Brent's voice, which I guess is kind of ironic.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Absolutely meh. Best way to describe it for me.
Thanks Timo!

cesargil
Brand New Start

Post by cesargil »

State of my head is better than Black Cadillac, but still disgusting. This album is going to be the worst one from Shinedown. Very sad.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

This was all i needed to give up on these guys :)

Actually kinda sad about that though. the good stuff they put out will always be there i guess.
Thanks Timo!

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

All right, last song they are going to release before the album is out, next week. It's called Outcast. I like it better than the other singles they released thus far, but it's kinda ehhh compared to the singles of Amaryllis. It sounds like more of a rock track compared to what they released thus far at the very least, imo.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/1-qMFG-uaf8[/youtube]

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

Hmmm, another disappointing track. Think this might be the first Shinedown album I'm not gonna bother with :(

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

First review I could find, badly tranlated from German...but you get the idea. Yeah, its gonna be a crap album... :(

SHINEDOWN has earned the status of a favorite band thanks to great albums like "Leave A Whisper", "The Sound Of Madness" and the last masterpiece "Amaryllis", as well as sympathetic interviews and strong live shows with me. Therefore, the announcement of the new album "Threat To Survival" and the grandiose first single has me ' cut the cord' equipped with powerful bursts of happiness hormone.

And now I'm sitting here, heard the album more than a dozen times and am a little disappointed. Of course SHINEDOWN really provides a weak album, but it is then a very large piece away from the expected attack on the title "Album of the year".

Why is that? To first of all notice that driving rockers like 'Adrenaline', 'Enemies', ' cry for help' or 'Devour' are not to be found here. Well, ' cut the cord' has a high power factor, an unerring Earwig and is one of the best songs released this year, reminiscent of but thanks to the children's choir a little 'Bully' by the last work and is also clearly the hardest number of "Threat To Survival". Even the strongly increasing after the start of balladeskem 'dangerous', which emerged after some counts as one of the highlights comes closest. The same is true for the opener 'Asking for it', which is also only increase with time to the catchy tune.

That in itself is not bad but, because after all, the men in the soft area are otherwise real skill. Songs like '. 45', ' amaryllis ', 'I' ll Follow You' or the fantastiche ' second chance' that proved enough. But this time the numbers not quite under the skin want to go. It was with 'oh oh oh oh'-backings or ' thick as thieves' or the rather inconspicuous despite Gospel Choir 'Obivion'. Only the final 'Misfits' knows how to convince. A really nice closing number.

And then because the more relaxed, experimental-looking songs like 'State Of My Head', ' it all adds up' and ' black Cadillac', which leave me all of them a bit at a loss. It's always still great sung by Brent Smith, but really I'm clearly just on the songs. It is strange that I have all firmly anchored the numbers in your head and sing in places when the first guards breath in the head. This is usually a dead giveaway for a hit. But really liked the songs don't want me so far. Anyway, I think that you could get out of the pieces. Just at 'State Of My Head', I miss the otherwise so concise guitar work by Zack Myers, acting here but very unobtrusive. It's all very ambivalent.

The bottom line, "Threat To Survival" is so maybe the weakest album, the SHINEDOWN has published so far. In the top thanks to ' cut the cord' is better than "US & them" to settle in width but behind it.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Wasn't expecting it to be good so that review is no surprise
Thanks Timo!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I'm hoping they only play like 2-3 new songs max at the concert I'm going to in November lol.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Ahhh, das fantastische Second Chance.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

You know how I said Outcast was the last track they are going to release before the album comes out? I lied. Here's one more, less than two days before the album is out.

It's called Dangerous. The verses are fine. The chorus is a bit bland though. Still more enjoyable than what they released so far though.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/owBhyenjmEk[/youtube]

cesargil
Brand New Start

Post by cesargil »

I just tried to hear the new album. I said I tried because it's so disgusting and I couldn't finish any track on it. It's the worst album Shinedown created at all. I'll never hear it again.

Also, they blocked me on Facebook, maybe because I sent negative feedbacks about the new album. This is a bullshit and I'll stop listening to them. Maybe if Jasin Todd come back, otherwise, never more.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Well, on the bright side, they have a live stream tomorrow 8:30 PM EST. Actually, it's titled "An Intimate Acoustic Evening with Brent & Zach from Shinedown." Do not know how long it is, but it's bound to be lengthy enough that it is going to get broadcast on Yahoo.

https://screen.yahoo.com/live/event/shinedown

This time, I feel confident that it is going to be a good one, since they've always do well in an acoustic setting.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I think Dangerous is pretty good.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I liked the bridge a lot.

Black Cadillac still is the only song that I really like listening to, which is funny because everybody seems to hate it :lol
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

State of my Head is the worst one imo. I can at least somewhat enjoy the others. I don't necessarily love what I'm hearing, but I'll still give the album some listens.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

Not as bad as I thought it'd be. Riff are very basic. Like laughably basic. But there are some songs worth exploring. I like Oblivion the most on the first run through. Dangerous is a perfect modern post-grunge song. 10/10 for that one.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

All right, album is out on Spotify. Let's see how this goes.

Edit: Overall, it's pretty much a middle of the road album for me. I can't say that it's one of the best album I've heard all year like I did with Cauterize, Breaking Benjamin's Dark Before Dawn, Iron Maiden's The Book of Souls. I'm not feeling it, honestly.

I think the best album to compare this to is Switchfoot's Fading West album. Switchfoot's a band that also have a great hard rock sound with singles that's tailored to do well on the rock single charts. Yet their latest album, Fading West, had this poppy rock sound as well. The problem is that Shinedown didn't have a song to me in this album that resonated to me as much as Switchfoot's When We Come Alive or Love Alone is Worth The Fight, even though those songs do have more of a poppy vibe than stuff like Dark Horses or Meant to Live.

Maybe, in time, Threat to Survival will grow on me and I can slowly appreciate it like I somewhat did with Switchfoot's Fading West album.

As it stands, favorites so far: How Do You Love, Oblivion, Dangerous, Thick as Knives, and Misfits.

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

i actually really fucking love Dangerous. Going to pick up a copy of the album later today..maybe. I'm on twitter reading how everybody "loves it" but from the previews i've heard, there isn't any big rock feel to the album.

I don't mind bands changing their sound, like Daughtry did with Baptized, but the way this new Shinedown album sounds doesn't hit the mark.
Thanks Andy!

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

The interesting thing with a lot of these songs is that if you replace the electric guitars with synths and add some more electronic elements (like the drums) they could very well be songs from Ariana Grande or Sia.

I liked the opener a lot. For the rest the new songs didn't really blow me away. The album's definitely not as bad as I thought it would be though. I thought it was an interesting listen, but I don't think I'll be listening to it a lot.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.