The "Cauterize" Listener Review Thread - post yours here!

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
chtimixeur
On The Rail

Re: The "Cauterize" Listener Review Thread - post yours here

Post by chtimixeur »

@fix : speaking of awful mastering, the first few seconds of Cauterize (the song) are a good example of why Elvis isn't suited for metal albums. It's just a sonical mess, and you can't fully appreciate the performance of each musician. He does a much better job on slower songs like Dark Trip or Providence IMHO.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Yeah true, I was hoping that it was the 'leak' I was listening to, but the iTunes version also has it. It's a bit too much.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Aside from that, I can't believe how good the album is.
I didn't expect anything from this record, and it paid off in the end.

Bob_BleedItDry
Neon Impossible

Post by Bob_BleedItDry »

the solo in sympathy is amazing love it. msrk said in an intervew for solos dust is a better album. the solos ive heared so far are short on this album but dam the start of the sympathy solo gives my willy tingles

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

Love this record. Radical Change is by far my favorite

Grizzly9773
Brand New Start

Post by Grizzly9773 »

AllC392Was wrote:Love this record. Radical Change is by far my favorite
Radical Change has literally everything- so does Cauterize. Best two IMO but the album has soooo much chocolatey goodness in it.

Grizzly9773
Brand New Start

Post by Grizzly9773 »

My review thread! This will be unnecessarily long but I do enjoy reviewing things way too in depth.
Before I pick apart each track, I do enjoy this album a LOT. It's better on every level than All I Was, and make no mistake, we shouldn't be surprised by that. Vocals, melodies, lyrics, the shredding- all better. And while so much of the previews were fast and shreddy, he definitely finds a way to balance that ridic fast paced stuff with more heavy melodic stuff (look at radical change and cauterize for example).
Okay, let's look at each track.

1) Radical Change- Everyone before me as said 'what a way to start the album off!' and I could repeat that corny line, but you know it's effin true. The feeling I got when I first heard it reminded me of ties that bind- quick and wasting no time BSing. The tempo changes in the verses are headbanging and SICK. The harmonizing and lyrics in the chorus also make me tingle in my loins. Capital Yes on the solo- and the transition with that lil' pause from the end of the solo back to the chorus- yeah this might, be the best song here. And we've just started.
Little stuff I like about it- that tricky beat change and slide as they transition into the chorus the 2nd time- ugh, let me go change clothes.

2) Flying Monkeys- since we've had a long time to process this song since it has been out a while, I won't talk much on this. The slow tempo almost never changes, and that's good. A solid slow heavy song. I remember when I first heard the bridge it felt like it didn't belong there- dont' get me wrong, I liked it along with the guitar layering in the bridge. Good song. Yes. More!

3) Cauterize- My favorite by far. You have to love that fast shred as the song starts, and they go back to it a few times, but it isn't what drives the song. The verse first sounded boring to me, but it grew both lyrically and aesthetically. The chorus and the bridge are both some of the best he's done. The chorus just sounds effing AWESOME- reminds me of Brains, the way the slow chords change and go dissonant (during "make us pure again..."). The bridge is super heavy and got those long heavy chords- sounds kinda different from what Mark normally does. But it's surely a headbanger. That bluesy outro, as someone coined it, is epic. There's a reason this is the title track. It's got great shredding, an amazing chorus, and a beautiful melody especially at the end.

4)Arm Yourself- WHEN THEY BREAK- that double pedal and shredding is the best. The verses in this song are really strong and the picking is incredible. The chorus somewhat bores me if I'm being honest. The tempo change for the bridge is definitely a headturner (stupid analogy?). Not sure, trying to think of more to say for this song. The drumming and base really stand out on this one.

5)Dark Trip- you can hear the pain in his voice. Lyrically the sing is probably the strongest- his voice too is definitely better than anything we've heard. People are raving about this song and getting tears in their eyes- I mean, yeah, it's good. But I guess it didn't make me orgasm like it did some people. The emotion in his voice reminds me of a better version of The Things I've seen (which I kinda feel like this song is- same track # too). Oh right, the bridge and solo are enough to make this song really, REALLY stand out. He puts his heart into it so I guess he needs ANOTHER heart. Haha *crickets* EDIT- Okay I just listened to it, yeah it's really great. It's just something about it. I'll think more on this one.

6)Another Heart- Once again, we've heard this for a while now. I agree with someone earlier when they said this is the weakest track- it definitely is. It's the most radio friendly and that is why he probably chose it as the first single. But the intro is still good, the chorus is catchy, and DAT BRIDGE.

7) WTF is going on at the beginning? Vocally I believe this is the apex of Mark's singing. Go back and listen to it- he's come far from the days of My Own Prison.
As I commented earlier I do hear the Save me riff in this. But this is better (obviouslyyyy). The tune to this song is very catchy. Strong intermediate song with a strong melody. Solo is meh- but honestly I keep referencing his voice as it sounds incredible, especially post solo too.

8)My wild card favorite. The intro reminds me of Disturbed a little. Yes, it hurt to type that. This song has a good steady tempo but the chorus seals the deal for me, especially lyrically. It's the one I catch myself singing now. The drumming during that part reminds me of Brains (my personal favorite from All I Was). I love the solo- I can just see the faces that he'll make when he plays that live. The style is more ABIII solo Mark than Mark of late. It's yummy!

9) Ah, finally, the song I had been anticipating most. Sympathy. The New Way Out of this album, which, by the way, was a fantastic song. But this song outdoes it in my opinion; Both the tune and lyrics are more solid. And as someone said earlier, yes, it makes my junk wiggle too when that solo comes. This song was what I expected plus much more.

10) Providence- Here we go- Mark originally wanted to name the album after this song, but after hearing it sounded 'creedish', he changed it. That says that if this was original pick from title track, it must be super good. And I think we trust Mark's opinion, right?
People keep talking about how it sounds like BB- it doesn't. Lyrically this song would have fit RIGHT in to fortress- put this as #13 (I do love me some Outright) in that album and besides Mark singing, you probably wouldn't have even noticed it didn't belong there. It does sound very ABish but who said that was a bad thing? The riffs are awesome, the solo is very WINEdy and passionate, and the song flows well, much like an AB song (esp that guitar whining as the song does its outro- damn that sounds Mylesish). That weird cryptic dissonant muffled singing before the final chorus is new too- gotta love new stuff like that.

Rambly! Excellent album. 11/10 would have sex with it.

Troops4Tremonti
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Troops4Tremonti »

Radical Change, Flying Monkeys, Cauterize, Another Heart and Providence (the verses) are the only ones I would consider "great" songs. Everything else is mediocre to me. I don't know, I'm just a sucker for melody. It seems like the focus on this album was 'how many different dynamics can we pull off'. That's a good goal, but the melody should always come first, and that melody needs to make grown men cry. I didn't cry on this album lol perhaps some of that puts Elvis at fault, because there were definitely some murky areas on the album.

TremontiFan4Life
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by TremontiFan4Life »

I feel like I've heard the intro to Providence on a sound and the story DVD

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

TremontiFan4Life wrote:I feel like I've heard the intro to Providence on a sound and the story DVD
There's one that's similar in the first DVD, not the same though.
For all of the hope that it brings...

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Grizzly9773 wrote:Excellent album. 11/10 would have sex with it.
Another QOTY candidate
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

gbruin wrote:
Grizzly9773 wrote:Excellent album. 11/10 would have sex with it.
Another QOTY candidate
:lol It's true, though. I second his sexual desires :lol :shifty

gazzaab
Brand New Start

Post by gazzaab »

TremontiFan4Life wrote:I feel like I've heard the intro to Providence on a sound and the story DVD
You may be thinking of the away in silence fingerpicking. In my review a couple of posts ago I mentioned that I thought it sounded similar to away in silence, which someone else then agreed with. Pretty sure that riff was on the sound and the story. Can't believe noone else has mentioned the similarities.

TremontiFan4Life
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by TremontiFan4Life »

Yup that has to be it EDIT I'm thinking the acoustic on my way now for some reason

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I'd be very surprised if there's a song on Dust that tops Providence to be honest. Out of both Cauterize and All I Was; Providence has got to be the best one, IMO. It's really the definition on an epic.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:I'd be very surprised if there's a song on Dust that tops Providence to be honest. Out of both Cauterize and All I Was; Providence has got to be the best one, IMO. It's really the definition on an epic.
Lol, you'll probably give that record a 50/50 and say Cauterize is garbage compared to it, like you did with All I Was.

I don't think Providence is that epic though. I guess they did a good job emulating that typical "epic" sound AB is known for in tracks like Blackbird, Fortress and Words Darker Than Their Wings (seems like all epic tracks have to be in 6/8), but the song lacks.. actual epicness. It's just (another) slightly longer song in 6/8. A very good one though.

I still think it's a shame they rushed those verses.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Timotheus wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:I'd be very surprised if there's a song on Dust that tops Providence to be honest. Out of both Cauterize and All I Was; Providence has got to be the best one, IMO. It's really the definition on an epic.
Lol, you'll probably give that record a 50/50 and say Cauterize is garbage compared to it, like you did with All I Was.

I don't think Providence is that epic though. I guess they did a good job emulating that typical "epic" sound AB is known for in tracks like Blackbird, Fortress and Words Darker Than Their Wings (seems like all epic tracks have to be in 6/8), but the song lacks.. actual epicness. It's just (another) slightly longer song in 6/8. A very good one though.

:lol Time will tell, Timo. Time will tell.

I think the song could have been a bit longer, though. Everything else about it is perfect. The verses don't seem rushed to me and the chorus is amazing. Especially the last two with the additional lyrics.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Timotheus wrote:

Honestly I have mixed feelings about that. It's my favorite part vocally, and I felt like it was rushed at first too. I kinda think they did it on purpose though. It gives it a different flow than their average song. I still wish it was longer.

DCooper727
TABN.com Citizen

Post by DCooper727 »

I have yet to listen to the album repeatedly, but Dark Trip is, IMO, one of the best things Mark has ever written. That song is fucking amazing.

Justified Denial
Brand New Start

Post by Justified Denial »

On initial impressions, this is much better than All I Was. The rhythm section of Wolfie/Garrett is mind blowing, and Mark's vocals have continued to improve. I'm also enjoying Eric's bluesy fills.

Top tracks: Dark Trip, Sympathy, Providence, Radical Change, Cauterize