The Official BREAKING BENJAMIN Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
devv88
Isolated

Re: The Official BREAKING BENJAMIN Thread

Post by devv88 »

Overall, a pretty standard Breaking Benjamin song -- which is a good thing.

That ending, though. So glad they're back.

facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by facelessman07 »

Huh, strange they're covering a Scott Stapp song

On a serious note, the addition of Jasen Rauch is a huge plus for Ben. Many people who are fans don't recognize the name since RED never got really big in the secular market, but his songwriting skills are tremendous. I knew once he was announced in the lineup there'd be some great tracks on the album

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Jasen was with RED during their best time period imo (although I think their new album is really good). I liked Keith Wallen pretty well on the earlier Adelitas Way stuff. Haven't really liked anything from that band since he left. I think they formed a solid lineup to surround Ben with.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Love that Breaking Benjamin is back, I really do, but this song was just so...meh. It's just such a standard type song for them. I'm excited for the record, don't get me wrong, but I'm hoping the rest of the album is much better.

facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by facelessman07 »

Andy92 wrote:Jasen was with RED during their best time period imo (although I think their new album is really good). I liked Keith Wallen pretty well on the earlier Adelitas Way stuff. Haven't really liked anything from that band since he left. I think they formed a solid lineup to surround Ben with.
Yeah, I thought RED's material was gonna go downhill after Jasen stopped writing with them, and from the songwriting credits its looks like OBAR had no Rauch involvement, so thankfully I was proven wrong

On another note, sweet sig! I need to get photoshop running on my Mac...

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

AB4Lyfe wrote:Love that Breaking Benjamin is back, I really do, but this song was just so...meh. It's just such a standard type song for them. I'm excited for the record, don't get me wrong, but I'm hoping the rest of the album is much better.
I think you're asking too much of them, Duane. They have always been known to be the generic, everyday rock/metal band. At least from what I consider to be in such a category. That's why they're so huge. Their material is not-and has never been-by any means, above average. I'm not trying to bash them by any means believe me as I was a major fan of theirs for many years; but I'm just calling it how it is. They're great at what they do; but if you're expecting more than what they've done in the past; I'm sure you'll be sorely disappointed. Failure sounds just like any other song of theirs from WANA, Saturate, Phobia, or Dear Agony.
Last edited by SHEAKENBAKEN on Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:Failure sounds just like any other song of theirs from WANA, Saturate, Phobia, or Dear Agony.
I'd disagree with that last part. Dear Agony took the band in a bit of a new direction soundwise. This seems to be a step back to their roots, which I will enjoy.

I've honestly kind of outgrown this band, but I do like to go back to their stuff every now and then. He doesn't have the technical proficiency of Myles but Ben has a very good unique voice that matches his lyrics and his genre. I don't think lyrics like "sacrifice yourself, and let me have what's left" could be sung by anyone else without the same impact as Ben and he has a very good knack for turning angsty emotions into words.

I'll def keep an eye out for the new album.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

facelessman07 wrote:On another note, sweet sig! I need to get photoshop running on my Mac...
Thanks! I went for a while without making any. Made a few new ones over the past couple months.

And Shea, how in the world do you conclude Ben's voice isn't even as good as Mark's? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that's plain stupid lol. Listen to Ben's voice on a song like Rain, then compare that to Dance With the Devil. His range is phenomenal compared to Mark's (and as much as Mark has improved, I much prefer the tone in Ben's voice). I give Mark and Myles the edge as guitar players (Ben isn't trying to be a guitar hero), but I prefer Ben's lyrics. They're about tied as far as their natural ability to write a hook goes. A lot of Alter Bridge and Breaking Benjamin songs contain my favorite choruses.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Andy92 wrote:
facelessman07 wrote:On another note, sweet sig! I need to get photoshop running on my Mac...
Thanks! I went for a while without making any. Made a few new ones over the past couple months.
And Shea, how in the world do you conclude Ben's voice isn't even as good as Mark's? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that's plain stupid lol. Listen to Ben's voice on a song like Rain, then compare that to Dance With the Devil. His range is phenomenal compared to Mark's (and as much as Mark has improved, I much prefer the tone in Ben's voice). I give Mark and Myles the edge as guitar players (Ben isn't trying to be a guitar hero), but I prefer Ben's lyrics. They're about tied as far as their natural ability to write a hook goes. A lot of Alter Bridge and Breaking Benjamin songs contain my favorite choruses.
That's just personal preferences talking, Andy. Statistically speaking, Yes, Ben's voice is better than Mark, but I much prefer Mark's tone to Ben's. It sounds like it has more of a "punch" to it. Maybe it has to do with Ben's previous problems with alcoholism but i can't say for sure. So I don't see how calling my opinion stupid helps but okay. And in terms of "range" I'm not going to go too much into it but people don't seem to understand range very well. It's the definition of your lowest to highest note. Ben is F2(C3-C5)D6 and Mark is B2-A4 so they're pretty even if only counting the melodic range.
http://therangeplace.forummotions.com/t ... nti#106970
http://therangeplace.forummotions.com/t ... in-burnley

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Look what you did Andy, you got him going on about E sharps and shit.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Im really digging this song. funny how tremonti and bb are basically on the same schedule in terms of releasing things right now. i definitely aint complaining, june is gonna be a good month.

honestly Another Heart and Failure are about equal for me, they're both great songs but neither really have anything new, in terms of songwriting. another heart is just typical tremonti, and failure is typical BB, which i have nothing wrong with!
Thanks Timo!

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Fish Tacos wrote:Look what you did Andy, you got him going on about E sharps and shit.
Regardless, I digress. LET'S GET SOME LYRICS IN HERE

Life will come our way,
It has only just begun.
The world will die alone
The frail will fall below.

Time will take our place.
We return it back to one
The calm before the cold,
The long and lonely road.

Look for the light that leads me home.

Tired of feeling lost, tired of letting go.
Tear the whole world down, tear the whole world down.
Failure.

Drive the cloud away,
We will fall from last to none.
The dark before the dawn,
The war will carry on.

Look for the light that leads me home.

Tired of wasting breath, tired of nothing left.
Failure.

Tired of wasting breath, tired of nothing left.

We bury the sunlight, we bury the sunlight.
Failure! Failure.
We bury the sunlight, we bury the sunlight.
Failure! Failure.

Failure.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Haha Tacos. :lol

There's a huge difference between technical range and singable range. I see you count these high notes Myles hits for maybe a second, but that doesn't mean he can comfortably sing in that register. So regardless of Ben's technical range compared to Mark's, I know what my ear finds to be more diverse musically.

I think Ben's emotion is what drives the point home for me. Tacos mentioned that using the lyrics from Breath as an example. And even though Dear Agony tended to stray a little from their core sound, I think it contains Ben's most emotional writing to date. I don't know if that record is typically refered to as a concept album, but I think it's pretty clear that the album tells a story throughout.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Andy92 wrote:Haha Tacos. :lol

There's a huge difference between technical range and singable range. I see you count these high notes Myles hits for maybe a second, but that doesn't mean he can comfortably sing in that register. So regardless of Ben's technical range compared to Mark's, I know what my ear finds to be more diverse musically.

I think Ben's emotion is what drives the point home for me. Tacos mentioned that using the lyrics from Breath as an example. And even though Dear Agony tended to stray a little from their core sound, I think it contains Ben's most emotional writing to date. I don't know if that record is typically refered to as a concept album, but I think it's pretty clear that the album tells a story throughout.
Not trying to include three different singers in one thread's discussion; but Myles can actually sing pretty comfortably from Bb1-G5 so that's only A5 to D6 that's range wank worthy so to speak....But Ben's F2-C5 is comfortable range and so is Mark's B2-A4.....

Even though Mark singing may not sound as emotionally driven as Ben's; I still think Mark isn't singing flat-voiced by any means. Songs like Giving Up, Proof, New Way Out, all have tons of emotion in them, too. Lyrically speaking they're pretty much equals to me.

ANYWAYS.....NO MORE MYLES, MARK OR NON-BREAKING BENJAMINS IN HERE ANYMORE, GUISE!

ROCKIN' OUT TO FAILURE ON REPEAT! :rockon

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

NEVERMIND.....

MAKE YOUR OWN CLOCK BASED OFF YOUR OWN TIMEZONE DURRRR.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

What
Thanks Timo!

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

austinjhnsn wrote:What
I made a countdown clock to the release; then realized it would only count down to my midnight release of the record; not everyone elses in different time zones, too. So I removed the link.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

I appreciate the explanation :)
Thanks Timo!

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

austinjhnsn wrote:I appreciate the explanation :)
You're welcome :D :lol

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Ben is a singer, Mark is a guy who can sing. Mark's voice is too one-dimensional for my taste.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.