What is 'it' in 'The Things I've Seen' and 'Waters Rising'?

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Re: What is 'it' in 'The Things I've Seen' and 'Waters Risin

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Timotheus wrote:
Grizzly9773 wrote:Then all you hear is Scott doing 'ts ts ts ts' on the cymbal before the really loud riff comes in when Myles starts screaming before the bridge. I interpret that as the first few drops of rain, and when the heavy riffs begin, that's like when the downpour starts.
This is where I imagine a huge tsunami. The silent part on the hi-hat is like the slowmotion part in a movie where everybody realises they're fucked and give eachother the farewell-looks before impact :D

I don't think anybody is denying he's singing about an apocalypse by the way. That doesn't mean the song can't be about something entirely different. The apocalypse is a metaphor, and it's for us to interpret what it stands for.
I always picture the first hits on the cymbals, in the beginning of the song, as the first drops of rain.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: interpreting is a stupid word

Post by Timotheus »

Fish Tacos wrote:
Timotheus wrote:The apocalypse is a metaphor, and it's for us to interpretet what it stands for.
You can't say that for every song ever!
Future Timotheus wrote:Yes, I can!
No! A lot of artists are being literal in their lyrics and can alternate between songs. Without a footnote next to each title, eventually that statement will be wrong.
Lol, I just noticed that I wrote interpretet.

I just think this is not one of those literal songs. The first line can be interpreted in many different ways. If you look at it as a stab towards Scott Stapp, the rest of the song just gets an entirely different meaning. "The earth has provided the means to burn in down" doesn't mean the same thing with that in mind. It becomes a lot darker if you look at Stapp's recent problems. And that's just one way of interpreting the song.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

I wonder if we'll get a song about Stapp's downward spiral in AB V.

TREMONSTER
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TREMONSTER »

I thought I read somewhere that Waters Rising lyrics were written by Mark about a dream he had about the apocalypse?

I also thought I read that Myles wrote Bleed it Dry? :shrug

Can anyone clarify? Bueller...? Bueller..?
*Courtesy of Alter Bridge Bangladesh Facebook

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Myles wrote Bleed It Dry. Also seems like Myles wrote the original lyrics to "Waters Rising," but after his vocal sessions weren't going so well on the song, Mark wrote his own lyrics and sung them on the final version.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

TREMONSTER
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TREMONSTER »

Yeah that makes sense from what I remember reading about way back then the album came out. Thanks man :cheers
*Courtesy of Alter Bridge Bangladesh Facebook

Grizzly9773
Brand New Start

Post by Grizzly9773 »

Ubik wrote: Good post there Grizzly, Waters Rising lyrics were written by Mark though (other than the bridge, which was Myles - you can tell this as it has "deny" in it ), and Myles wrote Bleed It Dry.
Andy92 wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure Myles wrote Bleed It Dry. Also seems like Myles wrote the original lyrics to "Waters Rising," but after his vocal sessions weren't going so well on the song, Mark wrote his own lyrics and sung them on the final version.
I think you're right, Andy92, in that the vocal sessions didn't go well for Myles so Mark took the wheel. But i'm pretty sure Ubik is right too, because I swear I remember reading somewhere that they each wrote on of the songs, and Myles didn't right them both. I just got it backwards :P. I wish someone could find it- I just remember hearing Myles talking about how they were both writing a song and came back and were like 'crap' because lyrically they are similiar.

And of course anyone can interpret anything they want any which way, but I am pretty sure they had a direction in mind when this song was being written, as most songs probably do. Whether I'm write about the whole storm and clouds and rain starting at certain points, who knows. It is interesting though.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Grizzly9773 wrote:I think you're right, Andy92, in that the vocal sessions didn't go well for Myles so Mark took the wheel. But i'm pretty sure Ubik is right too, because I swear I remember reading somewhere that they each wrote on of the songs, and Myles didn't right them both. I just got it backwards :P. I wish someone could find it- I just remember hearing Myles talking about how they were both writing a song and came back and were like 'crap' because lyrically they are similiar.

And of course anyone can interpret anything they want any which way, but I am pretty sure they had a direction in mind when this song was being written, as most songs probably do. Whether I'm write about the whole storm and clouds and rain starting at certain points, who knows. It is interesting though.
Yep I remember that story too, they both had armageddon on the membrane. I think the deal was that Myles either was low on time or inspiration in writing the lyrics for that song (they were on a very tight schedule, from memory) and Myles thought the song sounded Mark-y so figured he should take over the vocals too. I think in that sense it was Mark being inspired by the doominess of the music to write about that theme, but he did a very nice job of it.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Grizzly9773
Brand New Start

Post by Grizzly9773 »

Ubik wrote:Myles thought the song sounded Mark-y
That made me laugh out loud literally. But yeah, you're totally right about it all. I just wish I could find the damn proof online or the interview this is all said, haha

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Don't need to find proof. We've all seen it and he's mentioned it multiple times ;)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Grizzly9773 wrote:
Ubik wrote:Myles thought the song sounded Mark-y
That made me laugh out loud literally. But yeah, you're totally right about it all. I just wish I could find the damn proof online or the interview this is all said, haha
It's all stretched across the many interviews they did around release in video and print, but this one has most of the ish in:

https://youtu.be/XGUq4mh3G0s?t=13m28s
For all of the hope that it brings...