The Official SKILLET Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Micky
On The Rail

Re: The Official SKILLET Thread

Post by Micky »

Not a big fan of Benson. I know that Scott Stapp said he likes to "push buttons", and he seems to have a certain structure in the songs he produces and like Andy said, its all commercial. I know that when Howard produced daughtry's Break The spell album, he and Robin Diaz(their 2nd drummer), collided several times. I also think Howard focuses too much on vocals and not enough on the music itself. He worked with Daughtry, and now Chris's voice isn't the same, he worked with Rascal Flatts, and their singer has lost his voice several times since, he worked on Creed and Stapp sounded like shit(not saying thats Benson, but just part of my theory), and John's voice as someone noted earlier in the thread sounds likes he's a bit more screamish on Rise, which isnt a bad thing.

I just think Howard Benson is a record producer that doesnt let the music speak for itself and thinks that only the lyrics and vocals matter.

But on topic, this is disheartening, because Rise is one of my favorite albums. I'm sorry the guys had this kind of experience in the studio. Hopefully on their next album, they can work with someone who wants them to make the music they want to make and doesnt argue with them.
Thanks Andy!

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

They will NOT be working with Benson. I think you'll like their choice.

facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by facelessman07 »

Don Gilmore

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Got to see these guys on the first night of Winterjam. Go check it out if the show comes around you! It's only $10 at the door to get in. It's first come, first serve though, so you'll probably want to get there about 2 hours before the doors open. There were people turned away tonight because it sold out.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

I don't mind playing songs. As long as I don't have to hear it. I don't want to be the one to physically hear it.
Like 'turn it off, you know better, man'.
Lol...it's funny because this is how I feel about Skillet too. Ah well, to each their own, this was just a band I feel like I outgrew almost 10 yrs ago around the same time I stopped listening to Linkin Park.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

All right, apparently they are halfway there in writing their next studio album.
Frontman John Cooper tells Billboard that the group has between 15-18 songs in various stages of writing completion for their next album, but figures he’s “only halfway there” when it comes to writing for the new disc.

“We’re planning on recording this summer,” says Cooper. “June will mark two years for Rise, and I would like to be releasing a record this year. So we’re working toward that goal, and even if we don’t, we’ll release it early next year.”

The vocalist says he and wife Korey Cooper have been working on song ideas and he’s feeling really inspired at the moment: “I haven’t been this excited about writing a record in, like, seven years or eight years, and it’s just been kind of a joyous time actually.” Cooper says that touring well into 2014 helped, adding that meeting people inspires him to write.

Though recording won’t take place for a few months, the vocalist reveals that the band has already chosen to reunite with producer Brian Howse, who oversaw the group’s 2006 effort Comatose.
http://loudwire.com/skillet-halfway-the ... ck=tsmclip

So the producer is the guy that helped them make Comatose? This does get me optimistic about it. I still like Rise, I have it played in my car from time to time, but there was the articles that mention that they were not pleased with how the album was constructed. Hopefully, they can make this next album in a manner that really satisfies them.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

So basically John hasn't been excited about writing an album since they started working with Benson. I see a common theme with him lol. But yes Kev, Brian Howse produced Comatose. Looking forward to hearing the next album with him back in the fold. Hoping to hear a similar outcome as to what happened with RED going back to their old producer.

ESPImperium
Bought The CDs

Post by ESPImperium »

Or they could be getting Elvis to record, produce and mix the album???

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Everything I've heard suggests it's Brian Howse.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

Yeah, I'm glad they're going back with Brian. I've heard Benson was a nightmare. lol

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

All right, apparently, there's going to be a live stream of one of their WinterJam shows tomorrow. I'm obviously going to watch that and, hopefully, it's going to be slightly better than their Night of Joy livestream.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Well, watching the stream now. Going to say some stuff as the show goes along.

1st off, I'm a little miffed that they didn't play the bridge and solo in Not Gonna Die. I like the video, though, of guys like Brent Smith, Chris Daughtry, Corey Taylor, Alice Cooper and Christian acts saying what they are sick of before Skillet played Sick of It.

Them playing Those Nights on banjos and sporting nerd glasses (even the strings guys are sporting them). That's pretty interesting to say the very least. I do like they are varying the kinds of instruments (seeing some xylophones, very minimalist drums, the banjos, of course) though, and alternating between two stages (the back-end stage and a center stage). Oddly enough, this vibe really fits the song. Arghhhh, they again cut off the bridge. The bridge of those songs are actually the better parts of the song (still strong performances, though, I just don't like it if any of the song gets cut off though).

Very long speech (it's all right, this is actually the proper platform to make these kinds of long preachy speech) from John regarding why we, believers, are hiding our faith and spoke how some promoters told him that they could be bigger than they are now if they stop talking about Jesus and stop doing tours like Winter Jam and I'm like, "Those promoters are stupid. They do these kinds of things because they believe in him and his ideals and they are not going to drop those beliefs just to get bigger as a rock band."

They brought out a guy that is playing on the same tour as them named Jeremy Camp and had some other percussion people to play Monster with them which I thought was all right.

All right, overall, this is a very solid stream. I think it's better than their set at Band of Joy despite it being 15 min. shorter.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

So...thanks to my awesome radio station job, I get to have a 10 minute phone interview with John tomorrow...you guys have any questions you want me to ask?
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Criminy. I have no idea, other than "do you guys think you would play any of the songs from the Rise album that you hadn't played yet in the future, especially Salvation?" Andy, do you have anything?
Last edited by anguyen92 on Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

That's awesome man! Guess I'm curious to hear about how the writing for the new album is coming along. Maybe you could ask him what direction the music is tending to go in with their writing or something like that.

I'd also like Jen's phone number, but don't ask that or you could get in trouble. :lol

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Andy92 wrote:That's awesome man! Guess I'm curious to hear about how the writing for the new album is coming along. Maybe you could ask him what direction the music is tending to go in with their writing or something like that.

I'd also like Jen's phone number, but don't ask that or you could get in trouble. :lol
Already got you covered man, especially that last one! :lol Sorry, I won't share that one though :P
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Well forget it, don't even ask the last one then. :lol

I can't really think of much else besides new album stuff and how their touring is going. He just posted a photo on Instagram where he shaved all his beard off, so you could probably ask him how that feels. :lol

luke62
White Knuckled

Post by luke62 »

Looking forward to the new album!

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

Going to see them in Cincinnati next week. Pretty sure they'll be playing a different set & stuff.. will report back if I hear anymore new album news.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Looks like they're working with Brian Howes (Comatose) again according to John's Instagram. Pretty excited about that.