AB's Billboard Boxscore Results

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

AB's Billboard Boxscore Results

Post by anguyen92 »

As most people have seen here, I frequently follow the Billboard Boxscore to see which touring acts are doing well in their shows and which are not. AB has had their fair share of very good results, during this Fortress tour, and I'm making this thread to show it and future results that they may have. Now, I do not know if the attendance is accurate or if the ticket price is right (I believe Billboard list the price on the face value of the ticket), but this kind of info is the closest I got, other than people's personal experience, to see how well bands do. I do not know if anything cares about this kind of stuff, but I find it intriguing to see how many people show up in bands/acts concerts.

So, here they are.

The order is this (Rank Artist/Event Venue City/State Event Dates Gross Sales Attend/Capacity Shows/Sellouts Prices Promoters)

43 Alter Bridge, Shinedown, Halestorm Phones 4u Arena Manchester, U.K. Oct. 22, 2013 $381,355 9,440 / 10,992 1 / 0 $40.40 Live Nation

http://pulsemusic.proboards.com/thread/ ... re-2-22-14

40 Alter Bridge, Halestorm Hallenstadion Zurich, Switzerland Nov. 9, 2013 $286,256 3,258 / 4,500 1 / 0 $92.55, $81.66 Starclick Entertainment

http://pulsemusic.proboards.com/thread/ ... e-03-08-14

306 Alter Bridge Best Buy Theater New York, N.Y. April 24, 2014 $55,358 2,150 / 2,150 1 / 1 $30, $27.50 AEG Live

http://pulsemusic.proboards.com/thread/ ... e-06-28-14

219 Alter Bridge, Monster Truck Rams Head Live! Baltimore, Md. April 21, 2014 $41,250 1,500 / 1,500 1 / 1 $27.50 24-7 Entertainment

http://pulsemusic.proboards.com/thread/ ... e-11-22-14

397 Alter Bridge, Like a Storm, California Breed Starland Ballroom Sayreville, N.J. Oct. 10, 2014 $58,102 1,962 / 2,000 1 / 0 $32, $29.50 AEG Live

http://pulsemusic.proboards.com/thread/ ... e-11-29-14

88 Alter Bridge, California Breed, Like a Storm The Paramount Huntington, N.Y. Oct. 12, 2014 $46,271 1,251 / 1,573 1 / 0 $37 in-house

http://pulsemusic.proboards.com/thread/ ... e-12-13-14

abw1987
Blood Machines

Re: AB's Billboard Boxscore Results

Post by abw1987 »

Incredible how they can make close to ten times as much money in Europe. And people wonder why they tour there so much.
anguyen92 wrote:Now, I do not know if the attendance is accurate or if the ticket price is right (I believe Billboard list the price on the face value of the ticket)
It looks to me like they just divide the revenue number by the attendance for each show. That would explain why the math works even for shows that aren't sold out, and why some of the ticket prices look a bit odd.

My only question is about the cases where two different prices are shown. I'm guessing that's just reflective of shows where tickets were offered through two different vendors, but I'm not exactly sure how they come up with the number. Maybe they have more detailed information (i.e., # of tickets purchased via each vendor), and they just show us the aggregate number.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I always thought the two prices were based on different types of sections (GA and seats). Then again, the difference between prices in NYC is only $2.50 which surly cannot be the difference in prices between seats and GA? Then again, when I looked at tickets for AB in LA. There was about a $15 (fees included, I think) difference between The mezzanine and lode section and the space difference was not all that much to honestly justify the price difference.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Ah, that could be it too.

Anyway, thanks for posting this. It's always interesting to see how the guys are doing. I can't imagine they make much money, if any at all, in the US after you factor in the touring staff, travel expenses, etc.

julio
Isolated

Post by julio »

They significantly improved in US compared to the Blackbird days.

I wonder if the band is still in the red financially or if they are finally making a little bit a money ...

I hope Myles is finally making a good living as a musician. I know he struggled for a very long time, but with Slash and AB doing really well it would make sense that he is making some good money these days.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I got to think Myles is making a good living as well. He's out on the road for pretty much 80% of the year and, from what I've heard, he's not the kind of guy that would blow away his money easily (unless he goes on a vinyl record spree or guitar spree).

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

anguyen92 wrote:I got to think Myles is making a good living as well. He's out on the road for pretty much 80% of the year and, from what I've heard, he's not the kind of guy that would blow away his money easily (unless he goes on a vinyl record spree or guitar spree).
A drunken vinyl record spree :D
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Unless the next album sucks.

Post by zazthespaz »

julio wrote:They significantly improved in US compared to the Blackbird days.

I wonder if the band is still in the red financially or if they are finally making a little bit a money ...

I hope Myles is finally making a good living as a musician. I know he struggled for a very long time, but with Slash and AB doing really well it would make sense that he is making some good money these days.
We talked with Dan in Orlando and he said they're just now breaking even, so in theory, it should be all financial gain from here on out.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

vChris
White Knuckled

Post by vChris »

zazthespaz wrote:

We talked with Dan in Orlando and he said they're just now breaking even, so in theory, it should be all financial gain from here on out.
Do you mean since they started 10 years ago? Wow. I know that they struggled for some time but that's really crazy :S

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

anguyen92 wrote:I got to think Myles is making a good living as well. He's out on the road for pretty much 80% of the year and, from what I've heard, he's not the kind of guy that would blow away his money easily (unless he goes on a vinyl record spree or guitar spree).
I'm sure he's made out well from the Slash partnership, as well as from AB's European tours. And as you suggested, he's not a guy who needs a ton of money. He still lives in the same house that he did when he was a guitar teacher in Spokane. I'm sure he's happy to be more financially secure these days, but I think he works so hard more because he just loves what he does.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

vChris wrote:
zazthespaz wrote:

Do you mean since they started 10 years ago? Wow. I know that they struggled for some time but that's really crazy :S
One would really think on how financially secure the band will be if they started fresh with no association with other mainstream bands whatsoever and did not get themselves tangled in Wind-Up?

That said, for the most part, they look to be in the best shape, financially, than they had ever been since 2006? when they bought out of their Wind-Up record contract.

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Are the similar ticket prices advance purchase vs. at the venue?
Alterations: Dec 2010, May 2011, August 2011x2, Sept 2011, Oct 2014x2

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I have no idea. I would think advance purchase (the price # on Billboard has got to be the face value without fees).

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

I bought Starland Tickets in advance and found the figures in my email:

Alter Bridge - Starland Ballroom 2014-10-10 - October 10, 2014 at 7:00 PM
1 Advance @ $ 29.50 = $ 29.50 (Tax Included)
1 Service Charge @ $ 9.50 = $ 9.50
1 Electronic Ticket Delivery
Total Cost: $ 39.00
Tax Summary:
Sales Tax $ 1.86
Payment amount: $ 39.00

Starland is all GA, no seats or zones. Looking at their website there are price differences advance vs. at the door. Maybe the total is because they sold mostly but not all advance tickets - looks like the math works that way and I remember they announced it nearly sold out in advance.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Hmmm, maybe they do include door prices. When you take the revenue divided by attendance, it comes to be 29.61 which means that $32 price does not make too much of a difference to revenue which means that has to be the price at the door on the day of the show.

Interesting observation there.

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

\m/ math

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

How can they make minus when they are capable of making up to 300k in one gig. I really can not believe that the guys never made a plus in 10 years of touring. Especially cause AB is one of the more popular bands these days.
So where did the guys get their money from, if not from touring?

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I do not think that they lose money when touring after paying the expenses needed to do an AB tour. It's just that some (maybe most) of the profit they make from touring goes into paying the debt they have due to the Wind-Up record contract buyout (which is a large sum). I think it is now or maybe a little more time until they are out of the red on that end.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

From what I heard during the Blackbird tour era, they would typically lose money or barely break even on their US tour runs. Frankly, their attendance numbers aren't much better these days, so they can't be making that much money on US tours. If they are, it's from the VIP packages, guitar lessons, etc. In Europe, however, as "Mr. Slash" said, they are one of the biggest rock bands. They obviously do well over there.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Still don't get why no one likes AB in the USA. Seems like all of you guys rather listen to the several thousand cheap ass Seether rip offs than to original music. :P