SMK&C 2014 Tour

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: SMK&C 2014 Tour

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Still waiting for a video of Immigrant Song from Dec 6th... Probably be disappointed anyways, though.

Patty
White Knuckled

Post by Patty »

Andy92 wrote:
Patty wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:Back from hospital after Thursday nights gig, i have badly bruised ribs. Im the 5th that the hospital has seen after the gig. Hospital very critical of band, hospital asked me where i was in crowd and said the last time they saw such injuries was back in the days when football (stadiums) stadiums had no seats.

It would have been better if Myles had spotted problems, stopped the song and cooled down the crowd, but that may cause riots in that crowd. Not complaining as it was a good night. Just my only night ill ever see Slash.
You should probably get a seat or stand at the back next time.

As I said before, it wasn't that crazy. I was right up at the front. If a band were to stop for every little bit of pushing or shoving or the odd mosh pit, then you'll be at the venue all night before they finish their set.
There's no reason for 5 people to end up at the hospital after a gig. Just because it wasn't that crazy in your area doesn't mean it was great everywhere else. No one should be forced to sit all the way in the back to avoid getting injured at a show.

Just ask Randy Blythe about concert safety. I'm pretty sure he'd disagree with your take on it. Now am I saying there shouldn't be any type of moshing at a show? No, I'm not that big of a stuck up about it. But there's a difference between some pushing and shoving and at least 5 people ending up at the hospital.
My point is surely after years and years and years and years of gigs, people can surely expect what it'll be like? If not and it's their first time, surely they'd see sense and lay back to avoid such calamity?

You can't control hundreds and hundreds of people. There's only so much security can do. As I said, the only way to stop it is if the band were shut off at every point of a little shoving or moshing going on and that's just not possible.

Also, again, if you decide to be at the front of thousands of people you can only expect to have very little space and have some pressure coming from behind you and again, if you can't handle it, don't stand there and suffer, move off to safety and somewhere you feel more comfortable. That's why after about a decade of gigging, I'm very seldom at the front now, because I use my common sense to keep away from the front as I know it will most likely be a bit crazy.
Credit to the original sig creator. (Please remind me who you are so I can credit you properly)

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

There's a reason why I opted to choose seats at the AB show in LA rather than picking the GA and scenarios like these is why. Granted, since I had a good view of the GA pit, they were not going crazy and it did not look crammed, but that's beside the point.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Patty wrote:My point is surely after years and years and years and years of gigs, people can surely expect what it'll be like? If not and it's their first time, surely they'd see sense and lay back to avoid such calamity?

You can't control hundreds and hundreds of people. There's only so much security can do. As I said, the only way to stop it is if the band were shut off at every point of a little shoving or moshing going on and that's just not possible.

Also, again, if you decide to be at the front of thousands of people you can only expect to have very little space and have some pressure coming from behind you and again, if you can't handle it, don't stand there and suffer, move off to safety and somewhere you feel more comfortable. That's why after about a decade of gigging, I'm very seldom at the front now, because I use my common sense to keep away from the front as I know it will most likely be a bit crazy.
I very rarely get towards the front of the floor for the same reasons. I just think people need to be more sane down in a crowd at a show like that. You surely have to expect some bumping and pushing around, but I've never left a gig that gave me bruised ribs.

One of the crazier crowds I've been to was a Staind show a while ago, and Aaron Lewis stopped playing in the middle of the song to address it. I also saw Lamb of God after Randy spent time in prison overseas when he faced murder charges over the death of a fan at a show. I remember something he said once he came back to the US after being found innocent that really stuck out to me. It was along the lines of, "The hardest part of that trial was standing in front of a group of people and explaining the actions that took place that night were fairly normal for a heavy metal show. Then I realized, maybe there's something wrong about how we act at concerts in this genre of music."

Injuries at concerts aren't caused just because a crowd of people are all standing around close to each other. The injuries are caused because there are always people in the crowds acting stupid (usually fueled because they're highly intoxicated). It's unfortunate people can't go to a rock concert and get a decently good view without having to deal with all the crap going on around them.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

ESPImperium
Bought The CDs

Post by ESPImperium »

Patty wrote:
Andy92 wrote:
Patty wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:Back from hospital after Thursday nights gig, i have badly bruised ribs. Im the 5th that the hospital has seen after the gig. Hospital very critical of band, hospital asked me where i was in crowd and said the last time they saw such injuries was back in the days when football (stadiums) stadiums had no seats.

It would have been better if Myles had spotted problems, stopped the song and cooled down the crowd, but that may cause riots in that crowd. Not complaining as it was a good night. Just my only night ill ever see Slash.
You should probably get a seat or stand at the back next time.

As I said before, it wasn't that crazy. I was right up at the front. If a band were to stop for every little bit of pushing or shoving or the odd mosh pit, then you'll be at the venue all night before they finish their set.
There's no reason for 5 people to end up at the hospital after a gig. Just because it wasn't that crazy in your area doesn't mean it was great everywhere else. No one should be forced to sit all the way in the back to avoid getting injured at a show.

Just ask Randy Blythe about concert safety. I'm pretty sure he'd disagree with your take on it. Now am I saying there shouldn't be any type of moshing at a show? No, I'm not that big of a stuck up about it. But there's a difference between some pushing and shoving and at least 5 people ending up at the hospital.
My point is surely after years and years and years and years of gigs, people can surely expect what it'll be like? If not and it's their first time, surely they'd see sense and lay back to avoid such calamity?

You may have been a matter of 10 to 20 feet away from where i was, however how rough it was where i was may have been a different story. I have seen Myles cool down the crowd once at a Alter Bridge gig i saw on YouTube before it was pulled. However, it may be a different concern with Slash.

I know i will have very little space, i know there could be a pit, but the good thing about the UK crowd is we look after ourself well enough, but maybe this was a one off.

My next gig is at a smaller venue, the next time I'm at The Hydro I'm seated in a nosebleed seat in level 3. Next time I'm Standing there is next November at Nickelback again. By then, i think I'm looking at rib protectors and possibly be looking at where I'm going to stand at certain bands in the future.

However, there is no excuse for 5 faints and 5 people to have other injuries after the gig.

Compared to System Of A Down in 2006 this was rough of a different sort, SOAD in 06 i saw a girl get knocked out, and myself my mate and her boyfriend had to get her out, she was in a bad way and needed medical assistance.

I don't mind rough, but remember to be respectful at the same time. If you want close to the band, get there early enough and either suffer or enjoy the support bands as well to get close to the band, don't spend a hour in the bar or fast food places before hand. If you do so, i think you should be as far from the band as possible.

---Rant over---

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Andy92 wrote:Injuries at concerts aren't caused just because a crowd of people are all standing around close to each other. The injuries are caused because there are always people in the crowds acting stupid (usually fueled because they're highly intoxicated). It's unfortunate people can't go to a rock concert and get a decently good view without having to deal with all the crap going on around them.
They can, they just have to take a seat or stand at the back.. Often when you sit or hang around at the PA you have better view/better sound anyway. You know a rock concert will/can be rough.. I lost a shoe during a show once because people around me started moshing. My foot hurted for days :lol but you didn't see me blaming the band.. It's also got nothing to do with respect. When hundreds of people are getting into music together and start to jump or move together, the first row's gonna feel it. That's the risk of being on the first row(s). That's got nothing to do with alcohol either.
However, it may be a different concern with Slash.
He does it with Slash too. Like I said, I read a review on the GNR boards where somebody said he did it, and there are shows in the past where he did this too with Slash. I remember Holly (member who doesn't post anymore) talking about it.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I saw Thousand Foot Krutch last year at Rock on the Range...active crowd, a lot of fist pumping and headbanging going on, then some guy stumbled through and shoved his buddy into a pile of people in front of him trying to start a mosh pit. 3 people fell down over that one, and all the guy could do was stagger over to the beer vendor and buy another one.

That's the kind of people I'm talking about.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Sure ok, those people are assholes..

But I've seen people before who are like "stop touching me" and start to get mad at people behind them, because they are "pushing" them. But they don't get that there are hundreds of people behind this person who are pushing him too.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

But none of that petty stuff causes bruised ribs. Lol

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Bruised ribs usually don't come from a few assholes. Bruised ribs come from an entire crowd pushing you against the rail.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

uctalum01
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by uctalum01 »

Just saw this from this most recent tour. See the very beginning. If Myles noticed the issue he would've said something.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/njULGsmf0r4[/youtube]

Anyccka
Bought The CDs

Post by Anyccka »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:Still waiting for a video of Immigrant Song from Dec 6th... Probably be disappointed anyways, though.
Here it is

[youtube]http://youtu.be/k4NVb8xu72w[/youtube]

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Anyccka wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:Still waiting for a video of Immigrant Song from Dec 6th... Probably be disappointed anyways, though.
Here it is

[youtube]http://youtu.be/k4NVb8xu72w[/youtube]
Thanks, I did find that video a couple days ago, though. As usual I was disappointed but I know the song itself doesn't usually have a big ending high note or high notes in general. But it's nice when he does those extra higher notes like from the PRS guitar event thing.

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

I love how excited the crowd was, like, they're playing our song :D
Alterations: Dec 2010, May 2011, August 2011x2, Sept 2011, Oct 2014x2

Kreuger33
Loyal Follower

Post by Kreuger33 »

Did a video of Iris surface yet?

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Well, this sounds like a cool thing to do for them to do to try to help maintain music programs in schools.

Checked the setlist, they only did Fall to Pieces, Sweet Child O' Mine, and Civil War acoustically.