FOO FIGHTERS!

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: But size doesn't matter.

Post by zazthespaz »

They do two live shows there each night. Last night was sold out and apparently if you want tickets for tonight you need to stand in line two hours ahead of time because it's such a tiny place. It's in the middle of a strip mall. Kind of surprising.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: FOO FIGHTERS!

Post by Andy92 »

Timotheus wrote:I don't think it's fair to only participate in half of a project and then complain that you don't understand things that are mentioned in the second part.
I've listened to concept albums that are based around books before, and I've still enjoyed the album. An example I'll throw out is the first Sixx:AM album. That record was based around a book written by Nikki Sixx, but I didn't feel like the album suffered because I didn't read the book.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I don't think the album suffers from not seeing the TV show.. It only gets better by doing so ;)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Says the guy that watches the TV show ;)

Grohl has been one of the best vocal melody writers in rock throughout the past 20 years, yet this album barely has anything that resembles a hook given the caliber he's capable of writing.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: Wink wink

Post by Timotheus »

Still haven't seen the last 4 episodes and Outside and I Am A River are amongst my favourite songs.

And I think the melodies are fine. I think every song is really memorable and has its catchy parts. The album's just missing the big song every FF album's had so far. But on the other hand, I don't think there's any filler on this album, compared to pretty much all their other albums (in my opinion of course).

Combine that with the fact that musically it's a step forward, and you've got yourself a really solid album, in my opinion. Definitely not their best, but far from their worst.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

It's definitely not their worst album. I'd just rank it behind The Colour and the Shape, Wasting Light, and probably ESP&G as well. It's like middle of the road compared to the rest of their catalog in my opinion.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I have still yet to listen to the Self-title, Echos Silence Patience and Grace, and need to listen to Colour and the Shape again to give my Foo Fighters album ranking. As of now, Wasting Light stands on top, and Sonic Highways is better than One By One and In Your Honor and on par with There's Nothing Left To Lose.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Been reading Chris Jericho's book. I found an interesting story that happened with him and Dave Grohl at the Golden God Awards a few years back.
To start things off with a bang, we were going to pull our old “smash the boom box with a baseball bat” routine that we’d done at the Astoria in London years earlier. The show would start with a spotlight shining on a stool with a boom box on it. A roadie would walk onstage and press PLAY, and Justin Bieber’s “Baby” would blast through the speakers. The crowd would of course boo the shit out of it, until I came out onstage with a bat over my shoulder and smashed the hell out of the tape player as the band hit an open chord in time with my blows.

We were ready to go as the lights went out and the crowd buzzed, except we’d forgotten to find a roadie to press PLAY on the boom box. Dave Grohl had just showed up backstage to hang out, so I grabbed him by the arm and asked him to do the honors.

He was totally froot with it and wandered onstage to a massive cheer. When he hit the button and assaulted the room full of metalheads with the soothing sounds of “Baby, Baby,” they revolted and practically started throwing rotten tomatoes at him. He waved his arms in protest, laughing, “I didn’t know! I didn’t know!”

Afterward he chased me around the dressing room, throwing grapes at me and yelling, “You bastard, you set me up!” He calmed down and worked the room (which included Alice and Slash), telling us how he had recently gone to the hospital convinced he was having a heart attack, only to find out he had just drunk too much coffee. Ahhh, the life of a rock ’n’ roll madman.
I know that coffee story.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/fhdCslFcKFU[/youtube]

Jaredr24
Loyal Follower

Post by Jaredr24 »

I think Sonic Highways is pretty solid, I like it just a little bit more that Wasting Light. "I Am a River" may be one of my new favorites from them...just amazing.
~{AB fan - Go Tops! #WKU}~
”I’ll rest my eyes and let the earth breathe”

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Outside is becoming one of my favourite Foo Fighters songs of all time. It's so great :bow
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Well, this morning, I ordered it online and picked it up at the nearest Best Buy ($10.90, I think, which is pretty decent). Then, I wanted to listen to it again and played it right away on the 20 min. drive to school.

I believe that this album, to some that love Wasting Light, is not an easy album to love right away. However, I believe that all the songs have at least some good qualities to it, and neither of those songs are bad to be honest. I will still put this on par with Slash/Myles/Conspirators' World on Fire, but I did not enjoy it as much as Big Wreck's Ghosts or Sevendust's Time Travelers and Bonfires.

The reason, being, it's just not long enough. It's a funny thing. World on Fire seemed a bit too long to digest and it's a grower and Sonic Highways seems a bit too short and that's a grower.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I don't consider myself a Foo Fighters fan, they've got a few songs that I like, and I really enjoyed Wasting Light when it came out, I thought Bridges Burning, White Limo, Rope and Arlandria were very good (baring in mind I only listened to these songs a few times, the fact that I can still remember them reflects well on the songs).

I've just tried listening to Sonic Highways. I got to Outside and I just had to stop listening to it. It's not that it was particularly bad, I just didn't find it particularly good. I was bored by the album, I know people have said the album is too short, but the first half of the album really dragged for me. None of the songs really stood out for me, apart from Something From Nothing, which sounds really disjointed and doesn't flow. I get the impression Dave has focused too much on this grand concept and the TV show, that he actually forgot to write a memorable album?

I know I should probably let this album grow on me, but fact of the matter is that I just don't care about Foo Fighters enough to listen to this album again, unlike Wasting Light, which instantly grabbed me. I wonder how many other people feel the same.

rockit2112
TABN.com Citizen

Post by rockit2112 »

I'm also pretty disappointed in the album, and it pains me to say because I love these guys. I knew Wasting Light would be a tough act to follow, but this album dropped the ball for the most part. The one saving grace is Something From Nothing, which could wind up being my favorite FF song ever. I love the way it builds up to the climax at the end.

I'm ready for the next one already.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: or everything i just said is wrong.

Post by zazthespaz »

I'm kind of disappointed with it too, which pains me to say. I really love the first 3 songs and then it slowly peters out from there for me. I think "Sonic Highways" is supposed to be treated as a package deal with the album and documentary. The album is supposed to tell the stories of all these great artists, but it can't be done in a 4-5 minute song so the documentary is a supplement for it and adds to the value of the album. I've only seen the first 3 episodes which is why I might like the first 3 songs the best - I'll appreciate the others when I see their documentary episode. It does suck that the majority of people will not see the show, but those that do will most likely appreciate the album more because of it.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Something From Nothing is an amazing song...I haven't watched any episodes, but I still love it. The album just gets more boring after that. I Am A River is good, but the entire 2nd half of the song just repeates the same lyric over and over and over again. The album has its good moments, and nothing is particularly bad...it's just a bit of a boring listen.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: I. I am a river. I. I am a river. I. I am a river. I. I

Post by zazthespaz »

lol first time i listened to i am a river, i told myself i was going to turn it off if he sang "i am a river" one more time. fortunately he didn't.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

How can you not like Outside? :(
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: me too.

Post by zazthespaz »

It's growing on me. Haven't listened to the album too much. Bought it while driving home with my dad from Tennessee and only played it twice so far. He wasn't too big a fan of the album and I didn't want to wear him out. He's obsessed with Congregation though :lol
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Timotheus wrote:How can you not like Outside? :(
Best part is the bridge. The rest of the song is kinda bland.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

I listened once to the album. Sounds good, but not beyond average (yet). I think this is an album which you gotta "grow" into, until you really like it. These kinds of albums are usually the best. :)