Do you think Myles' singing with Slash is annoying ?

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: Do you think Myles' singing with Slash is annoying ?

Post by Timotheus »

Bullshit. The chemistry he had with Axl and the rest of the original line up was really special and he'll never come close to that, but neither will Axl, Duff, Izzy and Steven with their new projects. That doesn't mean the new music can't be enjoyed.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

LouNRoses
Brand New Start

Post by LouNRoses »

Are we really gonna start a GnR fight, ONCE AGAIN ? This is getting boring... And it's not the place :) People will never agree with each other ... Both Axl & Slash are great. End.
Hold on for your life, because Only the Strong Survive.
20.06.10 / 12.07.11 / 02.10.11 / 05.10.11 / 20.10.12 / 24.10.13 / 05.11.13 / 21.06.14 / 27.06.14

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

But I wanna fight with macca. :(
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Wonder what a band with Mark and Axl would be like. Can imagine Mark having a nervous breakdown.
For all of the hope that it brings...

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Macca wrote:
When it comes to good rock music, give me a misfit pain in the ass with grit and vision over a perfectly serviceable yes-man any day.

I will never take anything away from Slash as a lead guitar player and a badass performer. But a songwriter, bandleader, and artistic visionary he is most definitely not. I think only Ace Frehley is more of an artistically stunted caricature of himself at this point.
fuckin ay. been sayin it for years. slash is NOTHING without axl
completely agree, and ive said it on here before. Slash is an incredible guitar player. As an all around musician? Don't think he's special... he needed Axl. And we all know by now that Axl shits himself to sleep every night, wakes up, smells it and smiles knowing he's smelling his own shit because apparently it doesnt stink

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ Really? Does he need Axl to release, at the very least, good albums? It's never going to be better than GNR and everyone has accepted it, but that doesn't mean that Slash can go in and out and release, at the very least, a competently enjoyable album every two years or so. It is at the expense of a certain band though, but that's always another topic that we may eventually go into over and over....... and over again.

I'm not looking for "f'en greatest album of all time" crap. Alter Bridge already did that, IMO. I just want something good to listen to and to sing along with and to remember and this project does that.

Edit: Oh man, I passed 5,000. I had plans for it. Plans!!!!!!! :slam :slam :slam .

Damn you, U2!!!!!!

wdttw
Bought The CDs

Post by wdttw »

Before I heard World on Fire I thought like those guys who preferred Myles only with the AB, Slash underutilized him in a very bad way, but now Myles in the new CD sounds incredible. And some songs are not in Slash style, Myles made something important to improve the alchemy between their music styles and The Unholy, Beneath the Savage Sun, Shadow Life etc are the result. And what a result. In a few years they did an enormous quantum leaup, so I think it's bullshit.

I don't believe you spoke about Myles and Axl even here, I thought it's a serious forum but it's even true it's a viral thing in the fandoms. IMO, Axl is the best frontman of hard rock, no one can compare him with Myles but technically Myles is a better singer than him. Only Myles can sing GnR songs in a good way (not all songs, I think you understand that), in fact on Stoke and in the two concerts in Italy he was absolutely great and in roles reversed we could not see the same result.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

AB23 wrote:completely agree, and ive said it on here before. Slash is an incredible guitar player. As an all around musician? Don't think he's special... he needed Axl. And we all know by now that Axl shits himself to sleep every night, wakes up, smells it and smiles knowing he's smelling his own shit because apparently it doesnt stink
He needs Axl to do what?

Make a living in music without Axl? - Check
Being in a band with some great chemistry and no drama without Axl? - Check
Write new music without Axl? - Check
Doing a decent job selling those albums without Axl? - Check (if you think Slash's numbers suck, you might as well say that Alter Bridge is a fail and that Mark is nothing without Scott Stapp)
Succesfully tour without Axl? - Check
Write good music without Axl - This is subjective, but in my case: Check.

Both are great and both needed eachother to reach the level of succes of GNR. That's still not an argument. Myles needed Mark to get the attention he deserved (we all know how great his older work is), and without Creed, Mark probably wouldn't have made it either.
wdttw wrote:I don't believe you spoke about Myles and Axl even here, I thought it's a serious forum
Hardly ;)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

fuck you timo you little belgian nice person
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

lmao.

honestly, not everyone is gonna be satisfied with Myles' voice. it's unique, thats why some hate it and a lot love it. He sounds better on WOF than he did on AL by far, and some moments are almost better than his Fortress vocals, IMO.
Thanks Timo!

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Timotheus wrote:
AB23 wrote:completely agree, and ive said it on here before. Slash is an incredible guitar player. As an all around musician? Don't think he's special... he needed Axl. And we all know by now that Axl shits himself to sleep every night, wakes up, smells it and smiles knowing he's smelling his own shit because apparently it doesnt stink
He needs Axl to do what?

Write new music without Axl? - Check
Doing a decent job selling those albums without Axl? - Check (if you think Slash's numbers suck, you might as well say that Alter Bridge is a fail and that Mark is nothing without Scott Stapp)
Succesfully tour without Axl? - Check
Write good music without Axl - This is subjective, but in my case: Check.

Both are great and both needed eachother to reach the level of succes of GNR. That's still not an argument. Myles needed Mark to get the attention he deserved (we all know how great his older work is), and without Creed, Mark probably wouldn't have made it either.
:yeahthat . Everything here is pretty much on point x a million times.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Macca wrote:fuck you timo you little belgian nice person
No u
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Timotheus wrote:
He needs Axl to do what?

Write new music without Axl? - Check I can write music that's not saying much
Doing a decent job selling those albums without Axl? - Check People buy his albums because theyre die hard GnR fans and then bitch about it nonstop... so there's that
Succesfully tour without Axl? - Check again... he has a band. not the point.
Write good music without Axl - This is subjective, but in my case: Check. Absolutely not in my case. I think he's a HORRID music writer. Absolutely horrid.

wdttw wrote:I don't believe you spoke about Myles and Axl even here, I thought it's a serious forum
Hardly ;)

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I can write music that's not saying much
Lol ok.
People buy his albums because theyre die hard GnR fans and then bitch about it nonstop... so there's that
Most of the complaining is about Myles, not about the songwriting. Overal the albums has been received pretty well.
again... he has a band. not the point.
A succesful band with some great chemistry. That's not subjective. The band is tight as fuck.
Absolutely not in my case. I think he's a HORRID music writer. Absolutely horrid.
You admitted liking some of the songs, even though you don't like the genre, so let's not carried away here.
Last edited by Timotheus on Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I don't see how anyone could think Slash's writing is awful. I agree he's never written anything to the GNR standard, but neither have any of the other GNR members since the original lineup parted ways. I think World On Fire is the best album Slash has been a part of since GNR personally.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Re: I think YOUR singing with Slash is annoying!

Post by Inconquerable »

Andy92 wrote:I think World On Fire is the best album Slash has been a part of since GNR personally.
As someone who considers Guns N' Roses their favourite band bar none, I agree wholeheartedly. I also think that this is the best Guns related all original album (meaning that I'm excluding Spaghetti, Live Era, etc.) since the Illusions, and I'm a big fan of Chinese Democracy so I like to think that I'm rather unbiased with regards to things like this.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Chinese Democracy isn't a bad album by any means. I just think it should be filed under the Axl Rose Solo Project name rather than GNR. But anyways I do prefer World on Fire to the previous 2 Slash solo albums, Velvet Revolver, Snakepit, and Chinese Democracy. It just seems like a very cohesive record top to bottom, and the production quality is really good.

I think Slash has more memorable riffs on this album, but probably less memorable solos. That's my only real complaint about it. My favorite solo is the one towards the end of Beneath the Savage Sun. I find a lot of them forgettable though.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Andy92 wrote:Chinese Democracy isn't a bad album by any means. I just think it should be filed under the Axl Rose Solo Project name rather than GNR.
Wat? Listen to songs like "Rhiad and the Bedouins" or "Scraped" again. Some songs are just pure bullshit. Furthermore every single song on Chinese Democracy sounds way too "overproduced". This album contains two or three nice ballads, but the rest is just weak imo.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Better, Prostitute, Streets Of Dreams, Sorry, This I Love, There Was A Time, Madagascar and I.R.S. are all really good songs. I think it's a pretty good album. It's just way too overproduced indeed. I agree with people when they say Axl is more visionary than Slash, which worked really well during the UYI albums, but sometimes he takes it too far. If he released Chinese Democracy 8 years earlier and didn't overthink all the songs as much as he did it would've been received a lot better. Changing the name of the band would've helped too of course ;)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Re: He never wanted you to be so full of anger. =(

Post by Inconquerable »

Yeah if you listen to it as an Axl Rose album without the Guns N' Roses bias going into it, it's really enjoyable. The breakdown in Better is amazing and the vocals on There Was A Time blow me away.