Chick-Fil-A

Talk about anything and everything here.
Vaux
Hardcore TABN'er

Chick-Fil-A

Post by Vaux »

Has anyone else been following this Chick-Fil-A story?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07 ... perts-say/

President of Chick-Fil-A speaks his opinion about gay marriage, and now the mayors of Boston and Chicago say his restaurant is not welcome there. That's ridiculous. Celebrities are also giving them shit on twitter and stuff. Unreal.

I am against gay marriage, but not for the same reason they are. And I love Chick-Fil-A, too bad they don't have one around here.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Re: Chick-Fil-A

Post by Ryan »

I think it's ridiculous.

So, they can't say they're opposed to it, but people can freely say they're not? Give me a break.

It's kind of like how people at my work can have the Black Employees Network, but if we have a White Employees Network we're racist. ¿LOLWUT?
Photobucket cash grab.

ThravRande
Burn It Down

Post by ThravRande »

He acts upon personal opinion because he disagrees with another man's personal opinion.
Myles Kennedy wrote:I think you're as sharp as.... whatever's sharp.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

It does surprise me that a nation which is so proud of its promotion of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, can have quite such prevalent opposition to gay marriage. It's two people that love each other getting married, their genders aren't really important.

That said, I don't see how there can be any grounds to ban this company if it's just the president of it voicing his opinion. He's allowed to say what he wants, it's up to individual people to decide whether they agree or disagree (I'd just choose not to eat there, myself). If there's active discrimination against LBGT employees within the company, though, something should be done about it.
For all of the hope that it brings...

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Chicago Anti-Anti-Gay

Post by zazthespaz »

ThravRande wrote:He acts upon personal opinion because he disagrees with another man's personal opinion.
Whoa, that's deep thrav. I like that.

It's pretty ridiculous, especially in this economy. If you close a Chick-Fil-A, that's about 30 jobs you're sending away which in a city, could be valued pretty high. And Chick-Fil-A is about as Christian a restaurant as they come. They close on Sundays, they promote family time, and even their toys are positioned in a way that is supposed to be morally strengthening (vs. McDonald's where if it doesn't shoot something, why bother). To say this comes as a surprise is a lie.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

People are not protesting or boycotting Chick-Fil-A because the President is homophobic. People are taking a stand against the company because he has actively used money from the company's profits to fund anti-gay groups. I haven't heard anyone call for some sort of legal ban but I have heard plenty of people decide against their taste buds to vote with their dollars against bigots that would use those dollars against those that merely desire their own rights.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

what does this have to do with their chicken is my question

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

A lot of people don't want to fund anti-gay groups inadvertently so many have chosen not to eat at Chick-Fil-A anymore because it appears that's where some of the money is going.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

its delicious, so idgaf

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: swappin eggs and whatnot

Post by zazthespaz »

Nick wrote:People are not protesting or boycotting Chick-Fil-A because the President is homophobic. People are taking a stand against the company because he has actively used money from the company's profits to fund anti-gay groups. I haven't heard anyone call for some sort of legal ban but I have heard plenty of people decide against their taste buds to vote with their dollars against bigots that would use those dollars against those that merely desire their own rights.
ohhhh... missed that. my computer wouldn't load the article (not that it was even mentioned in there). Well even so, he's entitled to. Politicians still shouldn't call for a ban of the restaurant - let capitalism run it's course and if the people don't agree with the company, they won't buy its food and the company'll die out.
AB23 wrote:what does this have to do with their chicken is my question
It means that the chicken you're eating wasn't scissoring another chicken
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

hahaha. gross

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Nick wrote:A lot of people don't want to fund anti-gay groups inadvertently so many have chosen not to eat at Chick-Fil-A anymore because it appears that's where some of the money is going.
The company actively funds anti-gay groups? That's slightly ridiculous.

Fox news being as fair and balanced as ever with that report then.

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

Nick wrote:People are not protesting or boycotting Chick-Fil-A because the President is homophobic.
Just because you oppose gay marriage does not mean you're "homophobic." (I have no desire to talk about my beliefs and opinions about this subject because this isn't the place to do so, but seriously.)

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

I don't know for sure if it's the company itself or just the president on his own time (I think it's the latter) but either way, that money would end up fighting against people's rights.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

ALTERSTEVE wrote:
Nick wrote:People are not protesting or boycotting Chick-Fil-A because the President is homophobic.
Just because you oppose gay marriage does not mean you're "homophobic." (I have no desire to talk about my beliefs and opinions about this subject because this isn't the place to do so, but seriously.)
Ah, I didn't intend to claim that. I was trying to explain what someone who hasn't been paying much attention to this issue might think.

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

Nick wrote:
ALTERSTEVE wrote:
Ah, I didn't intend to claim that. I was trying to explain what someone who hasn't been paying much attention to this issue might think.
Oh, got it. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

ALTERSTEVE wrote:
Nick wrote:
ALTERSTEVE wrote:
Oh, got it. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Nah, don't worry about it. When I reread what I said, I realized it could definitely be misconstrued that way.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Nick wrote:I don't know for sure if it's the company itself or just the president on his own time (I think it's the latter) but either way, that money would end up fighting against people's rights.
Looks like it was the company's charitable arm - http://equalitymatters.org/factcheck/201207020001

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

If the mayor of Boston was anti-gay, and he stopped a company from building in the city because the CEO of the company was funding pro-gay campaigns, I'd have a feeling people would want that mayor out of office.

Let the CEO do what he wants to with his funds, and if you don't like it, don't eat at the restaurant. But for a mayor of a city to halt commerce over this is outright ridiculous.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Not in the mood to argue this topic but the article itself says:
"Last week, Boston Mayor Thomas Menino told the Boston Herald that “it will be very difficult” for Chick-fil-A to obtain licenses for a restaurant in Boston. But on Thursday, Menino backed away from that threat, saying he won’t actively block the chain.
“I can’t do that,” he told the Herald. “That would be interference to his rights to go there.”
Alterations: Dec 2010, May 2011, August 2011x2, Sept 2011, Oct 2014x2