30 Years to Life - now available

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
User avatar
AB23
Still Remains
Posts: 7670
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:04 am
Location: I honestly don't know

Re: 30 Years to Life - now available

Postby AB23 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:21 pm

What does it mean when he says "I was running with the order" ?
Image

User avatar
AB23
Still Remains
Posts: 7670
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:04 am
Location: I honestly don't know

Re: 30 Years to Life - now available

Postby AB23 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:25 pm

And also, in the chorus, is it "What I did I can't deny?" Or is it "What a deal I can't deny." As in, he should be put to death because he understands the magnitude of his mistake, but instead they just gave him life in prison
Image

User avatar
Ubik
Bachelor Daddy
Posts: 3499
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:12 pm

Re: 30 Years to Life - now available

Postby Ubik » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:36 pm

Ryan wrote:They sent me on a mission
Out to earn my stripes
Shoulda known damn well
when the (????) failed - when the curbstone fell (or failed, can't tell with no headphones)
Things would never be right


I think it's "curb stomp", aka biting the curb American History X style.

Really catchy song, there seems to be some really noticeable autotune in the first verse though, or is that just me?
In another life
In another place...

User avatar
AB4Lyfe
Achilles
Posts: 5233
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:17 pm
Location: My 'Fortress' is in Seattle, WA

Re: 30 Years to Life - now available

Postby AB4Lyfe » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:25 pm

AB23 wrote:And also, in the chorus, is it "What I did I can't deny?" Or is it "What a deal I can't deny." As in, he should be put to death because he understands the magnitude of his mistake, but instead they just gave him life in prison


What I did, I can't deny.
Image

User avatar
AB23
Still Remains
Posts: 7670
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:04 am
Location: I honestly don't know

Re: 30 Years to Life - now available

Postby AB23 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:55 pm

AB4Lyfe wrote:
AB23 wrote:And also, in the chorus, is it "What I did I can't deny?" Or is it "What a deal I can't deny." As in, he should be put to death because he understands the magnitude of his mistake, but instead they just gave him life in prison


What I did, I can't deny.


link? I totally cant tell at all, and both make sense (although what a deal I can't deny sounds more like Myles lyrics if he's the one who wrote it)
Image

User avatar
Andy92
You Waste Your Time
Posts: 13042
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: 30 Years to Life - now available

Postby Andy92 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:13 pm

AB23 wrote:What does it mean when he says "I was running with the order" ?

Does he say "the order" or "no order"? I haven't listened to the song very closely, so I'd have to hear that part again to see.
Image

User avatar
AB23
Still Remains
Posts: 7670
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:04 am
Location: I honestly don't know

Re: 30 Years to Life - now available

Postby AB23 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:16 pm

Actually, no order would make more sense. But the lyrics in this thread said "the" and i always thought it was "the." If its "no" than I get it
Image

User avatar
SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON
Posts: 8169
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:27 pm
Location: TABN

Re: 30 Years to Life - now available

Postby SHEAKENBAKEN » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:21 pm

Andy92 wrote:
AB23 wrote:What does it mean when he says "I was running with the order" ?

Does he say "the order" or "no order"? I haven't listened to the song very closely, so I'd have to hear that part again to see.


I can definitely tell it's "the order".

AB23 wrote:
AB4Lyfe wrote:
AB23 wrote:And also, in the chorus, is it "What I did I can't deny?" Or is it "What a deal I can't deny." As in, he should be put to death because he understands the magnitude of his mistake, but instead they just gave him life in prison


What I did, I can't deny.


link? I totally cant tell at all, and both make sense (although what a deal I can't deny sounds more like Myles lyrics if he's the one who wrote it)


Duane is right, Monty.

Ubik wrote:
Ryan wrote:They sent me on a mission
Out to earn my stripes
Shoulda known damn well
when the (????) failed - when the curbstone fell (or failed, can't tell with no headphones)
Things would never be right


I think it's "curb stomp", aka biting the curb American History X style.

Really catchy song, there seems to be some really noticeable autotune in the first verse though, or is that just me?


I initially thought curb stomp, too. But to me it doesn't make sense for it to be used in that context. And when Ryan suggest curbstone; I can hear that more than curb stomp...
I knew it was probably some sort of effect or maybe just a vocal overlay but it doesn't sound like auto-tune to me....
Image

User avatar
SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON
Posts: 8169
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:27 pm
Location: TABN

Re: 30 Years to Life - now available

Postby SHEAKENBAKEN » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:22 pm

What about the "city night" line? To me it sounds like wet; but what do you guys hear?

:shifty
Image

User avatar
Ubik
Bachelor Daddy
Posts: 3499
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:12 pm

Re: 30 Years to Life - now available

Postby Ubik » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:28 pm

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:I initially thought curb stomp, too. But to me it doesn't make sense for it to be used in that context. And when Ryan suggest curbstone; I can hear that more than curb stomp...
I knew it was probably some sort of effect or maybe just a vocal overlay but it doesn't sound like auto-tune to me....

Curb stomp is the one that fits the context more - the song's about falling in with a crowd so violent it lead you to kill. Curb stones falling doesn't seem to have any meaning at all, unless some slang has got fairly lost whilst crossing the atlantic.
In another life
In another place...

User avatar
AB23
Still Remains
Posts: 7670
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:04 am
Location: I honestly don't know

Re: 30 Years to Life - now available

Postby AB23 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:24 pm

Which leads to my previous question, what does "I was running with the order" mean?
Image

User avatar
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle
Posts: 16059
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:52 am
Location: Belgium シ

Re: 30 Years to Life - now available

Postby Timotheus » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:34 pm

Image
Image

User avatar
AB23
Still Remains
Posts: 7670
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:04 am
Location: I honestly don't know

Re: 30 Years to Life - now available

Postby AB23 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:47 pm

oh okay so running with horrid tan lines while unnecessarily carrying a book is what it means
Image

User avatar
SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON
Posts: 8169
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:27 pm
Location: TABN

Re: 30 Years to Life - now available

Postby SHEAKENBAKEN » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:56 pm

AB23 wrote:oh okay so running with horrid tan lines while unnecessarily carrying a book is what it means


I think it's meant to be taken the same as if it was "I was running from the order (the law)" because it could be taken as he was running with the order (the law) because they are chasing after him and he's running away, but for whatever reason Myles chose the more confusing lyric.
Image

User avatar
MylesKennedyIsGod
White Knuckled
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:04 am
Location: Waterloo, Iowa

Re: 30 Years to Life - now available

Postby MylesKennedyIsGod » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:18 pm

AB23 wrote:Which leads to my previous question, what does "I was running with the order" mean?

From the first time I listened to it and still now, I take it to mean the crime he committed was part of a gang initiation or activity--the 'order' was to kill a guy, hence the curb stomping on 'the night I sent that boy to hell'
Image

Thanks DonHarry!

User avatar
Ryan
Blood Machines
Posts: 29745
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:41 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: 30 Years to Life - now available

Postby Ryan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:46 pm

here's what i hear (finally listened to the song with headphones):

so the story goes this is a tale that must be told
for what could be your destiny you’ll never know

i never meant to be here
i never even tried
but i tell you now when you’re lost and downed
you come to trouble in time
it was a cold december
a wet city night
in a steel toe rage made a big mistake
now i’ll be doing time

i was running with the order
i was running out of time
now for me there is no quarter
i don’t want to be here
i don’t want to die

serving 30 years to life
what i did i can’t deny
now the sorrow in my heart will never fade
i remember it so well
the night i sent that boy to hell
Lord i’m sorry for the error of my ways

they sent me on a mission
out to earn my stripes
should have known damn well when the curbstone fell
things would never be right

i was running with the order
i was running out of time
now for me there is no quarter
i don’t want to be here
how many nights i’ve cried

serving 30 years to life
what i did i can’t deny
now the sorrow in my heart will never fade
i remember it so well
the night i sent that boy to hell
Lord i’m sorry for the error of my ways

cause now i know, now i know
i was wrong and i can’t let this go
i know, now i know
i am sorry what a wretched soul
oh, what a big mistake

<solo>

now i’m growing old
18 years or more to go
i waste away in this cage i’m all alone
that’s how the story goes this is a tale that must be told
for what could be your destiny you’ll never know

cause when you’re running with the order
you’re only running out of time
now for me there is no quarter
i didn’t want to be here
i don’t want to die

serving 30 years to life
what i did i can’t deny
now the sorrow in my heart will never fade
know it well, i know it well
but it’s too late to save myself
Lord i’m sorry for the error of my ways

so the story goes this is a tale that must be told
the sorrow in my heart will never fade
so the story goes this is a tale that must be told
yes i’m sorry for the error of my ways
Photobucket cash grab.

chtimixeur
On The Rail
Posts: 1119
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:15 am

Re: 30 Years to Life - now available

Postby chtimixeur » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:58 am

This song doesn't do much for me.
Very generic to my ears, and I can't stand Myles' 80's hard rock vocal style.
I prefer when he goes for big notes with AB or sings singer songwriter stuff on his own.

User avatar
slasherbridge
White Knuckled
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 6:29 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: 30 Years to Life - now available

Postby slasherbridge » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:07 pm

It's really grown on me over the last day or so. It was stuck in my head all night last night at work.
Image

Kreuger33
Loyal Follower
Posts: 318
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:16 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: 30 Years to Life - now available

Postby Kreuger33 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:56 pm

Wow that's different. Not sure if I like it.


Return to “Myles & Co”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests