Chicago 4/28/14-4/29/14

Tell the world about your concert experiences.
austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Re: Chicago 4/28/14-4/29/14

Post by austinjhnsn »

What does myles keep saying instead of "but the fortress caving in comes down on me tonight"? He did that the night before too.

and myles looks very emotionally invested in this performance, just look at him, his facial expressions, especially at the end riff.
Thanks Timo!

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

austinjhnsn wrote:What does myles keep saying instead of "but the fortress caving in comes down on me tonight"? He did that the night before too.

and myles looks very emotionally invested in this performance, just look at him, his facial expressions, especially at the end riff.
He's saying "stone wall" or something like that, I think.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Wait, so if they did not play Before Tomorrow Comes, they only played 17 songs plus the dueling guitar solos?

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

yeup.
Thanks Timo!

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

awesome live vid!!

JSlade

Post by JSlade »

...Apparently you'll get shafted when it comes to badass setlists if you ever see an AB show early on in a tour run.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

At least you've seen them.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Yeup, agree as well.

I'm not able to see them at all this tour, so be happy you've had the privilege to see this glorious band called Alter Bridge live.
Thanks Timo!

JSlade

Post by JSlade »

That is clearly not the point. I am happy I've seen them (twice now), but it really kind of sucks that a lot of these songs don't get played until later into the tour. I am not the first person to complain about this exact thing. Some of you may remember the Euro tour...where the exact same thing happened and people complained that saw them early on and got none of the new songs. I did get to see FttS, Calm the Fire, Waters Rising, AtP and CoA, so I can't complain too much. I just really, really wanted to see Fortress live. That song is fucking awesome.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

It's cause they work on them during soundchecks to get better and more comfortable playing them live. So they're better when they actually do.
Photobucket cash grab.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I don't like the whole 'at least you've seen them' thing, if you're disappointed with a set list then so be it, but you shouldn't be guilt tripped into feeling grateful simply because you've seen them and others haven't. Comes across as 'Well because I haven't seen them, you shouldn't be disappointed'.

Didn't want to make a new thread for it, but looking at last night set list (assuming it's real), it looks like kept Bleed it Dry and Fortress, which is really good! If they could replace BTC with Lover and Broken Wings or Farther Than The Sun we'd have an extremely good set list.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

I didnt want to come across that way. Sorry about that, because im sure i did. I get what your saying.
Thanks Timo!

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

We know they can play Calm The Fire and Farther Than The Sun, they played both songs this tour.. It's not a matter of being able to pull it off most of the songs. It's a matter of letting go of the older songs. Somehow they think people are going to be super disappointed when they don't play some older songs like Before Tomorrow Comes, which is not the case. They didn't play White Knuckles last night and I've seen nobody complaining. Same thing when they didn't play Before Tomorrow Comes a few nights ago.

All negativity aside, they're doing a really good job improving the setlists so far. I really hope they keep the 2 new songs in the setlist.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

uctalum01
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by uctalum01 »

You're either not on fb or don't follow the board's page. Brian and Ashlee, two of our own mods, were at the show last night and were really excited for BTC after it not being played at either Chicago show. There's always going to be someone. They just may not be vocal about it. I went to 3 shows last week and didn't get CTF at one. Disappointed? Incredibly, but Myles was also sick (and did get to hear some waiting to get into soundcheck in NYC). Same with WOY. Another victim of Myles illness. I can understand that so no complaints here (not that I probably would, anyway. I'm not a setlist complainer. In just thrilled to see them). I'd be disappointed with no WK, too. So high energy and a great crowd participation song. It may as well have been made for live performance.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

That's why they should rotate more. If they play an older song it should be something special, not just a dull played part of a set they've played at almost every show for 7 years straight. Imagine if in 2007 they did the same thing they're doing right now. Playing sets containing mainly ODR songs and only 3-4 Blackbird songs, not even playing the title track at 95% of the shows. The idea of that is ridiculous, but that's exactly what's been going on this album cycle.

It takes courage to send a few people home disappointed for the larger good of being an artistic and exciting live band, which they used to be.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

They're never going to be able to please everyone with the set lists anyway, so they may as well aim to create set lists that go down well, and on the whole please most people. I'm sure people will be disappointed if songs like Before Tomorrow Comes and White Knuckles aren't played, but people are also going to be disappointed if those songs are actually placed, and newer material like Fortress and Calm The Fire aren't played. Just because someone was disappointed at them not playing older songs doesn't mean they should actually play them. The fact of the matter is that this is the Fortress tour, and more emphasis should be placed on the Fortress songs instead of the Blackbird songs that have dominated the set list and have done so for many years. I'd actually like to see Buried Alive back in the set every so often, but oh well.

Also Austin, don't worry. I wasn't expecting an apology, I was just rambling on. I understand it's frustrating not being able to see one of your favourite bands.

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

I was sad they didnt do CTF due to Myles bug. But they added Bleed It Dry and Flip told me, that seeing the crowds response to it, it will be a stayer... I also relayed some concern among the fan base about the set list being BB heavy for a Fortress tour, understanding the songs are fan favorites and fun to play, but that the new songs hardly get a chance to become the new fan favorites. So hopefully for next tour they are able to change it.. Who knows? Sure it won't be in Europe with limited set times on festivals... I guess it's hard to choose if you make that many good songs!
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I hope Bleed It Dry stays for Rock on the Range.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Joe
Brand New Start

Post by Joe »

I think we're definitely going to see more new songs as they keep touring. On the first Chicago date Myles was still looking down at a book of lyrics for Fortress, so they're still working on getting the new stuff into the set. Once they're more comfortable, I'm sure it will stick.

I'm a little disappointed that I didn't catch Bleed It Dry but am SO glad that it went well. Hopefully next time!