Pawns & Kings Tour - Setlist Predictions

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
thatfunkodad
Brand New Start

Re: Pawns & Kings Tour - Setlist Predictions

Post by thatfunkodad »

Crumbso wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:29 am What are you guys betting will be the opening song for the tour? I'm going to bet it's This is War but would prefer Pawns and Kings.
Sin After Sin feels like the most logical opener for me based on how I've seen them make their entrances before. Flip comes out and starts the drum groove, followed by Brian adding the bass. As they groove for a bit, Myles and Mark come out...and rock ensues.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

thatfunkodad wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:16 am
Crumbso wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:29 am What are you guys betting will be the opening song for the tour? I'm going to bet it's This is War but would prefer Pawns and Kings.
Sin After Sin feels like the most logical opener for me based on how I've seen them make their entrances before. Flip comes out and starts the drum groove, followed by Brian adding the bass. As they groove for a bit, Myles and Mark come out...and rock ensues.
Mark has said in interviews that he sees the opening riff of Silver Tongue as something that could open a show. So it could be that, or they could also do what they've almost always done and open with the second track, which in this case is Dead Among The Living. I personally think both of those are good options.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

Yeah, Silver Tongue is the most likely choice based on what they've said before, and based on the kind of songs they tend to open with. Sin After Sin is a very slow, sluggish song that wouldn't work as an opener at all imo.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

New prediction with the new information:

1. Silver Tongue
2. Addicted To Pain
3. Come To Life
4. Dead Among The Living
5. Ghost Of Days Gone By
6. Sin After Sin
7. Rise Today
8. Pawns & Kings
9. Cry Of Achilles
10. The Other Side
11. Waters Rising
12. Watch Over You (with Lzzy Hale for the European tour)
13. Isolation
14. Blackbird
15. Metalingus
Encore:
16. This Is War
17. Open Your Eyes
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

maximzub wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:03 am New prediction with the new information:

1. Silver Tongue
2. Addicted To Pain
3. Come To Life
4. Dead Among The Living
5. Ghost Of Days Gone By
6. Sin After Sin
7. Rise Today
8. Pawns & Kings
9. Cry Of Achilles
10. The Other Side
11. Waters Rising
13. Isolation
14. Blackbird
15. Metalingus
Encore:
16. This Is War
17. Open Your Eyes
Would swap Rise Today and Metalingus. Don't think they've ever finished with the latter and Rise Today works much better in that spot.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Dolo wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:08 am
maximzub wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:03 am New prediction with the new information:

1. Silver Tongue
2. Addicted To Pain
3. Come To Life
4. Dead Among The Living
5. Ghost Of Days Gone By
6. Sin After Sin
7. Rise Today
8. Pawns & Kings
9. Cry Of Achilles
10. The Other Side
11. Waters Rising
13. Isolation
14. Blackbird
15. Metalingus
Encore:
16. This Is War
17. Open Your Eyes
Would swap Rise Today and Metalingus. Don't think they've ever finished with the latter and Rise Today works much better in that spot.
https://www.setlist.fm/stats/average-se ... ?year=2020
https://www.setlist.fm/stats/average-se ... ?year=2019
https://www.setlist.fm/stats/average-se ... ?year=2017

Metalingus was the only main set closer during the Walk The Sky main tour in 2019 and 2020 (not for the Victorius Sky tour). Also, it seems like it was a more common main set closer than Open Your Eyes in 2017.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

My bad then.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

They could throw a new closer our way though. They never closed with Addicted To Pain until the Walk The Sky tour.

Personally, I would like that as the closer, but I'm not betting on it as they need a high energy song in the same tuning as the opener in the second spot.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

I don't think Addicted to Pain is a good closer, it feels right at the beginning of the concert/encore.

I would love them to try one of the epic/longer songs for closer (Fortress, The Last Hero for example)
But for this tour Pawns & Kings could be a great choice.

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

I was actually surprised how good ATP felt as a closer during the WTS tour; they had these smoke machines (if that's what they're called) that had an amazing synergy with the main riff. However, I'm definitely not against a different closer, just don't think there's anything on P&K that would be a good fit; and I definitely like ATP more than Rise Today in that slot.

The argument that they need a high-energy song in second position that's got the same tuning as Silver Tongue makes a lot of sense though. They've got a LOT of songs in that tuning, but most of them are more on the melancholic side of things and aren't regular parts of their setlists. Ghost has the same tuning and is frequently played pretty early in the set, but I'm not sure whether it fits in the second slot. They could play Find the Real, or Native Son (please no), or Losing Patience (please no!), but ATP feels like the most likely scenario.

Oh, and they could play White Knuckles! THAT would be amazing!

Edit: Someone on Reddit posted this very blurry image of a setlist for the upcoming tour; It's hard for me to deciper anything on it except for Silver Tongue likely being the opener and Ghost of Days Gone By being the second song in the encore. What's massive though is that it looks like a 21 song set!

Edit 2: Encore opener could be Slip to the Void? Would at least make sense tuning-wise and the song has four words in it. Closer COULD be Open Your Eyes?

Edit 3: I'd say Metalingus is the set closer, Rise Today before that, Blackbird either before that or right in the middle of the main set.

Edit 4: Fourt-to-last song of the main set could be Fable... Maybe it's just me really wanting them to play it though. Not sure. If it is, I hope they won't rotate it because I likely only see them once this tour, and I would HATE (!!!) to miss it.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Blackbird wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:41 am
Edit: Someone on Reddit posted this very blurry image of a setlist for the upcoming tour; It's hard for me to deciper anything on it except for Silver Tongue likely being the opener and Ghost of Days Gone By being the second song in the encore. What's massive though is that it looks like a 21 song set!

Edit 2: Encore opener could be Slip to the Void? Would at least make sense tuning-wise and the song has four words in it. Closer COULD be Open Your Eyes?

Edit 3: I'd say Metalingus is the set closer, Rise Today before that, Blackbird either before that or right in the middle of the main set.
All of that seems correct to me.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Blackbird wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:41 am I was actually surprised how good ATP felt as a closer during the WTS tour; they had these smoke machines (if that's what they're called) that had an amazing synergy with the main riff. However, I'm definitely not against a different closer, just don't think there's anything on P&K that would be a good fit; and I definitely like ATP more than Rise Today in that slot.

The argument that they need a high-energy song in second position that's got the same tuning as Silver Tongue makes a lot of sense though. They've got a LOT of songs in that tuning, but most of them are more on the melancholic side of things and aren't regular parts of their setlists. Ghost has the same tuning and is frequently played pretty early in the set, but I'm not sure whether it fits in the second slot. They could play Find the Real, or Native Son (please no), or Losing Patience (please no!), but ATP feels like the most likely scenario.

Oh, and they could play White Knuckles! THAT would be amazing!

Edit 4: Fourt-to-last song of the main set could be Fable... Maybe it's just me really wanting them to play it though. Not sure. If it is, I hope they won't rotate it because I likely only see them once this tour, and I would HATE (!!!) to miss it.

This Is War at #6? Isolation at #10?

EDIT 1: The first four songs are all in the same tuning, so what other Drop C# songs could they pull out?

EDIT 2: Come To Life at #5?

EDIT 3: If Isolation is #10, #9 must be in Drop C as well.

EDIT 4: Waters Rising at #14?

EDIT 5: Wouldn't You Rather at #9?

EDIT 6: The Other Side at #7?

EDIT 7: Mark must be planning to bring at least one more guitar on the road. Usually he plays the same guitar for Ghost Of Days Gone By and Open Your Eyes, but there's enough time for the guitar tech to retune it. Now there's not.

EDIT 8: Pawns & Kings at #4? In Loving Memory at #13? Watch Over You at #11? Cry Of Achilles at #8?

EDIT 9: Sin After Sin at #11? NO WATCH OVER YOU?
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

Agreed with This Is War and Isolation.

Taking the tunings into account is a good idea! Since we can't see everything, I'd guess that #2 is Addicted to Pain. Waters Rising could be one of those theoretically, potentially Native Son at #3, #4 doesn't really look like Pawns And Kings to me because the first word is longer than "Silver". It's possible that I'm wrong about Open Your Eyes and they'll close with that one. Don't really have an idea what #4 would be otherwise though.

Come to Life at #5 would make sense because it's got the same tuning as This Is War and #7 is indeed very likely The Other Side (can't imagine any other slot where this would fit except #11, and they have the same tuning). The only thing that makes me doubtful about this is that "Come" and "This" have the same length, yet the first word of #5 is notably longer than of #6. Can't think of anything else that would fit there right now though.

Cry of Achilles at #8 is likely. Don't see it anywhere else.

Wouldn't You Rather at #9 makes sense since it's the same tuning as Isolation.

Agreed with Sin After Sin at #11. That means #12 is also in Drop C#? Maybe THAT'S Addicted to Pain? Is there any other Drop C# song that starts with a long word and either has got one very short or one very short and another word after it?

In Loving Memory at #13 seems very likely.

Waters Rising at #14 seems possible if it's not in the opening four.

Starting to think that #15 is really Fable of the Silent Son, which would be a huge surprise to me, but I'd love it. I just can't think of any other song that would fit the letters.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Silver
Pawns

See, Pawns is longer.

Come
This

See, Come is longer.

I would be especially disappointed if they don't play Watch Over You, especially since Mark said that that's one of their 12 must plays. But I can't see where that would be on this setlist.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

You're right, silly me used Notepad to compare the words and didn't realise that it uses a monospace font by default. And that's coming from a software developer. :'D

I really, REALLY can't imagine them not playing WOY, but I agree that I don't really see a slot for it in this setlist...

Edit: So apparently Tim posted on FB that it's a tuning sheet. Sounds a bit fishy to me ('cause why the encore section?) but maybe that explains why WOY isn't on there, because they have a dedicated acoustic guitar for it?

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

The first concert is taking place with perfect timing. I wish I could be in the audience. It’s going to be a great show! 😊

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Blackbird wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:21 pm Edit: So apparently Tim posted on FB that it's a tuning sheet. Sounds a bit fishy to me ('cause why the encore section?) but maybe that explains why WOY isn't on there, because they have a dedicated acoustic guitar for it?
They might have multiple songs in slots. So the encore might in the end be only two songs, and the two options for the encore opener are Slip To The Void and Ghost Of Days Gone By.

It also seems to be Mark's tuning sheet, which explains why there wouldn't be Watch Over You on there. Although, I wish he was playing on it.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

I would be (very very happily) surprised if they played a 21 song setlist, but I'll bet those are just the songs they are rehearsing for the tour and they will pull 15-17 of those each night and they'll swap 4 or 5 in and out on various nights as they've done on prior tours.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Tomorrow we'll find out!

(Technically today for those of you in Central Europe and further east.)
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

First night in Hamburg...

1. Silver Tongue
2. Addicted to Pain
3. The Other Side