Pawns & Kings US and Toronto Winter Tour 2023 with Mammoth WVH and Red or Pistols at Dawn

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Pawns & Kings US and Toronto Winter Tour 2023 with Mammoth WVH and Red or Pistols at Dawn

Post by MaraCarr »

Trenthetfield wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:49 am Dead Among The Living debuted last night. Here's a vid I found of it. Myles mispronunciation of Dead is bugging me already, but glad it's joined the setlist! I agree re Open Your Eyes, what's going on there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DxCYt8NcJk

That’s Awesome!! They sound amazing even with an amateur recording.

Seeing them play live versus watching a video on Youtube is exactly like seeing Multnomah Falls in person versus seeing it in a picture.

There is absolutely no comparison.

You have to be there! ❤️

maximzub
On The Rail

Re: Pawns & Kings US and Toronto Winter Tour 2023 with Mammoth WVH and Red or Pistols at Dawn

Post by maximzub »

Guys. They just announced a new tour in May with Sevendust. Yes!

Sadly, no Milwaukee or Madison in the list. I'll be the first to get tickets if they announce shows there.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

maximzub wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:25 pm Guys. They just announced a new tour in May with Sevendust. Yes!

Sadly, no Milwaukee or Madison in the list. I'll be the first to get tickets if they announce shows there.
Come on to Daytona. There is a phenomenal line up. Hotels are reasonable if you order in advance. Just drive it.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

MaraCarr wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:11 am
maximzub wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:25 pm Guys. They just announced a new tour in May with Sevendust. Yes!

Come on to Daytona. There is a phenomenal line up. Hotels are reasonable if you order in advance. Just drive it.
I have finals that week. Not really interested in seeing most of the other bands either.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

maximzub wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:21 am

I have finals that week. Not really interested in seeing most of the other bands either.
Oh...Your finals are very important! Well maybe you will be able to drive to another show, get your band mates together and stay one night somewhere. Its always fun exploring a new city. :)

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

MaraCarr wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:41 pm
maximzub wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:21 am

Oh...Your finals are very important! Well maybe you will be able to drive to another show, get your band mates together and stay one night somewhere. Its always fun exploring a new city. :)
I think we'll wait for a Milwaukee/Madison/another Chicago show in the fall. Also, Carson isn't really that much into Alter Bridge. Ashton maybe, but I don't think he'd wanna go see them live. My family, on the other hand...they love them. That's who I'm going with next week. I have a friend from college that would love to see Alter Bridge as well, but he's out of town that weekend, so he'll also have to wait until something closer gets announced.

Now, if Halestorm announces a show near us, and it's not in August, we're all going. My family and I will take Ashton with us. Big bonus if they finally start offering Meet & Greets because we soooo want to meet Lzzy! But if it's in August, I will seriously cry my eyes out because we will be in Serbia then.

The same thing above can be applied to Volbeat, except we likely won't get Meet & Greets because I'm not as excited to meet them as I am Halestorm.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

In line right now for the Toronto show. Going to be standing out here in the cold for 3.5 hours. Wearing the Shinedown hockey jersey as an attempt to keep me warm.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Wash your hands, people.

Post by gbruin »

anguyen92 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:09 pm Man, I'm flying out to Toronto in a few days. Going to see them on Saturday.

One of things that I would love to fantasize, but know that this will never happen, if, somehow, Edge was at this show (since he's from Toronto) and I would get to have a chat with him, not to talk about wrestling or AB, but to talk about hockey. Him and Wolfgang would be the two guys that I love to chat with to talk about something, not relating with their professions, but about stuff relating to hockey.
Try not to give Edge covid. Or Myles - again.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

anguyen92 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:04 am You know something? That may actually the best show I’ve seen from them.
That's my favorite setlist from them so far. Replace Before Tomorrow Comes with Broken Wings and you get my dream setlist for this tour.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

Dan Dando wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:15 am Why the concern about the band dropping songs that are almost 20 years old... when they haven't yet played some of the best songs from Pawns and Kings :shrug
:yeahthat So much that.

It seems like the guys forget that they've got 7 killer records loaded with amazing tunes. I understand that every Metallica show is somebody's first so they've gotta play "Enter Sandman" every night...

But would anybody here (especially the really seasoned concert-goers) really complain if AB didn't play Ghosts Of Days Gone By, Addicted To Pain, Metalingus or even Blackbird? Why stay playing the same handful of songs from the same two/three decade+ old albums?

They've got Walk The Sky, the tour that was mangled by the pandemic... And they're not even playing Wouldn't You Rather on this tour? That'd be a killer 1-2 punch opener following Silver Tongue!
Do they have that little faith in their past three records? Or are they just that confident in their ability to hammer out the oldies?
Maybe it's not confidence but rather complacency?

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

They have a lot of amazing "epic" songs. Yet, most of the songs they play on this tour are radio singles that aren't exciting for the fans or challenging for the band. They even dropped Open your Eyes which had a great crowd interaction and was a perfect set closer.
On some previous tours, they also had live bangers like White Knuckles or Farther Than The Sun, which were very entertaining for the crowd.
I don't know who builds those 2022-2023 setlist, and they can be improved.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

UninvitedZero wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:13 pm But would anybody here (especially the really seasoned concert-goers) really complain if AB didn't play Ghosts Of Days Gone By, Addicted To Pain, Metalingus or even Blackbird? Why stay playing the same handful of songs from the same two/three decade+ old albums?

They've got Walk The Sky, the tour that was mangled by the pandemic... And they're not even playing Wouldn't You Rather on this tour? That'd be a killer 1-2 punch opener following Silver Tongue!
Do they have that little faith in their past three records? Or are they just that confident in their ability to hammer out the oldies?
Maybe it's not confidence but rather complacency?
It depends on the fan. I wouldn't mind them skipping Ghost Of Days Gone By, but I would mind them skipping Addicted To Pain, Metalingus, and Blackbird. Also, I'm not a seasoned concert-goer. As big of a fan I am, I'm still new and the first time I'll ever see them is this Saturday. So I'd like to see the hits because I've never seen them before.

Also, they were playing Wouldn't You Rather early in the US tour, and it had a near-permanent spot on the European tour. That's a little bit of a problem. Myles promised "songs" from Walk The Sky to make up for the tour being cancelled. "Songs" turned out to be "song" (Wouldn't You Rather being the only song played from the album except one performance of Native Son).
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

5 MORE DAYS. OH MY GOD.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

People like me wouldn't have any issues if they drop certain songs to get other songs in the fold. That said, to this day, for a good portion of the crowds, this is their first AB show. When I was in line (first in line after the VIP people) in Toronto, I asked a group behind me, is this your first AB show? They told me yes and one person told me that they like what they see in the setlists in previous shows and she'd hoped that they would play Broken Wings in the Toronto show. They didn't.

For me, I don't really care what they play, I just only hope they have tours that I look at and think, "I can make a weekend out of that." Played 16 songs in Toronto that lasted around 90-95 minutes. 13 of the 16 I've heard before, but I still thought, "This might be the best show I've seen from them after seeing them 9 times in various cities in North America."

Mammoth WVH was really good as well, but I wasn't surprised at that idea. I think certain people are trying to project wanting Wolfie to be his dad and get pissy when he doesn't fill that mold (i.e. not playing Van Halen songs in his set). His band's set would have its audience that works in today's modern rock crowds. People in Toronto liked them.

What I really want to see AB do more is play around more with certain approaches to how they play their songs. Fudge, in one show in 2019, they had Mark sing Burn it Down, out of necessity, because Myles was sick (which I may or may not had something to do with that after talking to him at an airport a few weeks back). They liked how that worked out so well that it's now part of their live staple for this tour. They should have that kind of creative approaches to other songs that may need a fresh change-up.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

anguyen92 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:06 pm People like me wouldn't have any issues if they drop certain songs to get other songs in the fold. That said, to this day, for a good portion of the crowds, this is their first AB show. When I was in line (first in line after the VIP people) in Toronto, I asked a group behind me, is this your first AB show? They told me yes and one person told me that they like what they see in the setlists in previous shows and she'd hoped that they would play Broken Wings in the Toronto show. They didn't.
THIS is why I was complaining so much about them not playing Watch Over You on the European tour. I'm in the same boat as those people because I'm going to see them for the first time and hoping they don't drop my favorite songs which also happen to be my biggest hits. Fortunately they've solved the problem with that specific song and I'm going happily knowing that I'm guaranteed to hear my top 4 songs from them. I sympathize with those people from the Toronto show that didn't get to hear Broken Wings.
anguyen92 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:06 pm For me, I don't really care what they play, I just only hope they have tours that I look at and think, "I can make a weekend out of that." Played 16 songs in Toronto that lasted around 90-95 minutes. 13 of the 16 I've heard before, but I still thought, "This might be the best show I've seen from them after seeing them 9 times in various cities in North America."
They played 4 Pawns & Kings songs at your show. How could you have already seen 13 out of the 16 songs?
anguyen92 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:06 pm What I really want to see AB do more is play around more with certain approaches to how they play their songs. Fudge, in one show in 2019, they had Mark sing Burn it Down, out of necessity, because Myles was sick (which I may or may not had something to do with that after talking to him at an airport a few weeks back). They liked how that worked out so well that it's now part of their live staple for this tour. They should have that kind of creative approaches to other songs that may need a fresh change-up.
THIS. I wonder how much more people would like them as a live act if they went the way of Halestorm, adding extended jams to songs and abandoning the click track. And before you say they have the click track because Scott can't control his tempo, I think that by now, he's practiced these songs at the correct tempo enough that he can keep time even without it. So maybe they can drop it after 10 years of using it.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

anguyen92 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:06 pm

THIS. I wonder how much more people would like them as a live act if they went the way of Halestorm, adding extended jams to songs and abandoning the click track. And before you say they have the click track because Scott can't control his tempo, I think that by now, he's practiced these songs at the correct tempo enough that he can keep time even without it. So maybe they can drop it after 10 years of using it.
To be fair I don't think they really started using a click track to around RAH show. Go and check out videos from before that and you see things were a bit different which did have a few complaints. Personally it didn't bother me and I don't think you notice if you were at the show but watching later you can see why some would complain.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Jhenrid wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:27 am
anguyen92 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:06 pm

To be fair I don't think they really started using a click track to around RAH show. Go and check out videos from before that and you see things were a bit different which did have a few complaints. Personally it didn't bother me and I don't think you notice if you were at the show but watching later you can see why some would complain.
Scott Phillips said in an interview back in 2013 that he started using a click track then. It's a pretty clear tempo difference as well between the AB III tour and the Fortress tour. He has said that there are exceptions where he doesn't use a click track, but the only song he namedropped was Blackbird. From analyzing their live performances, I don't think anything else that was on Live At The O2 Arena, Live At The Royal Albert Hall, or Walk The Sky 2.0 was not to a click track. Nor are any of the other songs they've been performing on this tour obviously not to a click track.

I know that live shows in general have a lot of energy and I don't think Alter Bridge is any different. I just had some suggestions for what they could do to take their live shows to the next level.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!