Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
maximzub
On The Rail

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by maximzub »

cheesedip1 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:01 am Can someone lay out all the time signature changes in Last Man Standing?
Intro: 4/4
Verse: 4/4
First part of pre-chorus: 7/8
Second part of pre-chorus: Headache
Chorus: 4/4
Bridge: 4/4
Myles solos: 4/4
Mark solo: 4/4
Outro: Headache
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

cheesedip1 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:01 am Can someone lay out all the time signature changes in Last Man Standing?
I guess you can count the pre-chorus in different ways. What feels most "natural" to me right now is the following:

7/8
7/8
9/8
7/8
9/8

You could just as well add two 2/8 cadences and change the 9/8 to 7/8.

That said, I've luckily given up trying to count time signatures since starting to listen to a bit more progressive music, and luckily the pre-chorus of Last Man Standing has such a good flow that it doesn't feel off at all.

blackbirdgraphics
Brand New Start

Post by blackbirdgraphics »

Def not understanding the love Holiday is getting. It's a cool tune, but doesn't belong in AB's catalog. Totally breaks the flow of the album for me.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

I think the bridge of Dead Among The Living could be a good crowd sing-along part live.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Mr.Vlado
Bought The CDs

Post by Mr.Vlado »

blackbirdgraphics wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:54 pm Def not understanding the love Holiday is getting. It's a cool tune, but doesn't belong in AB's catalog. Totally breaks the flow of the album for me.
There you've got your answer :)
I like the song itself and dont mind that it is not your regular AB song. Imo it also fits the album in a way, makes it more varied.

thatfunkodad
Brand New Start

Post by thatfunkodad »

Gotta love people saying "that's not AB." But they wrote it and they put it on the album. So guess what - it is AB. Just because it doesn't live up to your expectation of what they should be (ridiculous in many instances I've seen) doesn't mean it's not the band. God forbid they try to stop themselves from getting bored or release a song they think is good.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

thatfunkodad wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:59 pm Gotta love people saying "that's not AB." But they wrote it and they put it on the album. So guess what - it is AB. Just because it doesn't live up to your expectation of what they should be (ridiculous in many instances I've seen) doesn't mean it's not the band. God forbid they try to stop themselves from getting bored or release a song they think is good.
I don’t think we can necessarily blame fans for saying things like “that’s not AB”, as both Myles and Mark have used that kind of language in the past when they’ve spoken about their creative process and how ideas fit better for one project/band over another :shrug

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

blackbirdgraphics wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:54 pm Def not understanding the love Holiday is getting. It's a cool tune, but doesn't belong in AB's catalog. Totally breaks the flow of the album for me.
"Love"? Are we reading the same comments?! I think it has two votes in the other thread, which means two people from all voters rate it in their top half for Pawns & Kings. But I don't hate it, and it's far from the worst song they've put out.
For all of the hope that it brings...

blackbirdgraphics
Brand New Start

Post by blackbirdgraphics »

thatfunkodad wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:59 pm Gotta love people saying "that's not AB." But they wrote it and they put it on the album. So guess what - it is AB. Just because it doesn't live up to your expectation of what they should be (ridiculous in many instances I've seen) doesn't mean it's not the band. God forbid they try to stop themselves from getting bored or release a song they think is good.
That's an awfully pretentious way to put it. Slash sounds like Slash. Tremonti sounds like Tremonti. MK sounds like MK. AB sounds like AB. When you put a Slash tune on an AB tune, fans are allowed to react with an eyebrow raise. It's not a trash tune by any means, but it makes more sense on a Slash album.

Mr.Vlado
Bought The CDs

Post by Mr.Vlado »

blackbirdgraphics wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:53 pm
That's an awfully pretentious way to put it. Slash sounds like Slash. Tremonti sounds like Tremonti. MK sounds like MK. AB sounds like AB. When you put a Slash tune on an AB tune, fans are allowed to react with an eyebrow raise. It's not a trash tune by any means, but it makes more sense on a Slash album.
Overall I agree with you BUT the highlighted part of your last sentence is just your opinion.
For me Holiday is a fantastic song that spices things up and makes total sense on an AB album. Just because AB hasnt released such a song doesnt mean they shouldnt because then thats not AB.
And just as a sidenote: if Holiday was a Slash song, it would definitely be one of the absolutely strongest imo. I usually dont like their "feeling good", "upbeat" sings that much.

Whitebird
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Whitebird »

Holiday is great, and it's one of the most listened songs of the album on Spotify

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

That's because Slash has a lot of fans, too.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I would like Holiday a lot more if it weren't for the lyrics. The fact that it musically sounds like Slash doesn't bother me that much, but there's a clear difference between Myles's lyrics for Slash and AB. I think he's allowed to cross that line, but in my personal opinion this makes the worst lyrics on an AB song yet.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Has anyone elses Napalm Records order not even shipped? My AB store order shipped and has been delivered already but I've seen nothing from my Napalm order. Wondering if I should contact their customer service or wait and see what happens.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: thus why I’ll be playing side b more

Post by zazthespaz »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:19 am Has anyone elses Napalm Records order not even shipped? My AB store order shipped and has been delivered already but I've seen nothing from my Napalm order. Wondering if I should contact their customer service or wait and see what happens.
Mine got here a week ago so you may want to check up on that. I only put the order in 2-3 weeks before release too.

I got the gold/black album. On one side, all the black bled to the outside in the spinning, it looks pretty stupid :lol
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

GassMoney92
Brand New Start

Post by GassMoney92 »

I feel like Holiday will be more of a hit with people who don’t really listen to Alter Bridge. It’s fun, catchy, and has a bluesy classic rock style that fits perfectly on any US rock station. Reminds me a lot of something you’d hear from Halestorm or Theory of a Deadman. It does feel out of place on the album to me, but I like that they aren’t taking themselves too seriously and have a fun groovy track thrown on there. Will be a great live song!

GassMoney92
Brand New Start

Post by GassMoney92 »

I’m impressed by how much Pawns and Kings has climbed their top songs on Apple Music. This is War, Silver Tongue, Sin After Sin, Holiday, and Dead Among the Living are all consecutively after Blackbird. You have to scroll quite a ways to find anything off Walk The Sky. This record has definitely surpassed my expectations.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:58 pm Image
YES!
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:19 am Has anyone elses Napalm Records order not even shipped? My AB store order shipped and has been delivered already but I've seen nothing from my Napalm order. Wondering if I should contact their customer service or wait and see what happens.
Same here. I preordered the wooden box set in July. Nothing shipped, nothing received. F....

I just logged into my acct with Napalm and my order is there and just says "processing". Guess I'll contact them and ask what's up. I'll keep you posted, Shea.

Ironically, their distribution center is about 40 miles from my house. I could have ridden my bicycle there on the morning of release day and processed them some. Alas...
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die