Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by joshuabeau »

Dan Dando wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:43 am
joshuabeau wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:58 am
MrK2991 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:16 am How This is War wasn’t the lead single, I’ll never know. Top 5 AB songs for sure. Wow! So hyped for the rest of the album.
For real. This blows Silver Tongue out of the water.
The water must be pond water :D

Sorry to be a miserly old sod but I feel a bit underwhelmed again. Hoping there’s shades of the Alter Bridge I like on the remainder of the album. Glad others are happy though :)
Heavy AB not for you Dan?

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

joshuabeau wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:46 am Heavy AB not for you Dan?
I like some of AB’s heavier stuff for sure, but I think they excel in other areas.

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

That's a pretty awesome song. I can't wait to hear it on a better platform other than compressed youtube

thatfunkodad
Brand New Start

Post by thatfunkodad »

So far, this is my favorite track on the album after a few listens. The choir effect between verses, the goosebump-inducing chorus - this is top tier AB in my personal opinion. This should have been the lead single based on everything I've heard so far.

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

I will also add to the already known fact that Alter Bridge creates the best Bridges in music today. These guys are the Bridge Masters! Pun intended.

rising_waters007
Brand New Start

Post by rising_waters007 »

Question for those who have heard it…

How does it compare ranking-wise next to material from, say, Fortress.

I’ve not heard it and don’t plan on it until the LP

thatfunkodad
Brand New Start

Post by thatfunkodad »

rising_waters007 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:36 am Question for those who have heard it…

How does it compare ranking-wise next to material from, say, Fortress.

I’ve not heard it and don’t plan on it until the LP
Personally, I think it would fit right at home on Fortress.

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

Dan Dando wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:10 am
I like some of AB’s heavier stuff for sure, but I think they excel in other areas.
I understand that. Hopefully there’s some songs on the record that you really enjoy.

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

Easily my favourite of the 4 singles, and after Pawns and Kings I thought that'd be very difficult to do (I typically prefer the longer AB songs).

The main riff, the choral intro, the verse and chorus melodies, Myles' falsetto (a rare occurrence nowadays), the solo - there are so many things that just click for me in this song. I think the short bridge section just before the solo is the weakest section of the song, but its also very short.
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

joshuabeau wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:54 am
Dan Dando wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:10 am
I understand that. Hopefully there’s some songs on the record that you really enjoy.
:cheers

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

The song doesn't come out here until 11 PM, but judging by the preview, I feel like this is gonna be a speed metal song.

I can imagine the choir parts at the beginning will just be ignored like the ones in The Other Side. Or maybe Myles will play them on guitar.

And I wonder if Mark brought back the 7-string for this song? Or is he in a low G# tuning on a 6-string again?
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
I'm in love with somebody...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

maximzub wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:17 pm The song doesn't come out here until 11 PM, but judging by the preview, I feel like this is gonna be a speed metal song.

I can imagine the choir parts at the beginning will just be ignored like the ones in The Other Side. Or maybe Myles will play them on guitar.

And I wonder if Mark brought back the 7-string for this song? Or is he in a low G# tuning on a 6-string again?
Nah, these parts are waaaaay better than The Other Side. This song rips man.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Not gonna comment on the song itself, but how are you liking the production guys? I personally can't hear a single thing and the whole mix is absolutely slammed, reminds me of my own mixes. The difference is, this dude does it professionally for the living.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

Dolo wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:44 pm Not gonna comment on the song itself, but how are you liking the production guys? I personally can't hear a single thing and the whole mix is absolutely slammed, reminds me of my own mixes. The difference is, this dude does it professionally for the living.
I thought it sounded fine. The mix for these songs we’ve heard are the best they’ve sounded since Fortress so I don’t know man.

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

The heavy mean machine gun style riff behind the "ahhhhhh" in the intro is amazing.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Dolo wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:44 pm Not gonna comment on the song itself, but how are you liking the production guys? I personally can't hear a single thing and the whole mix is absolutely slammed, reminds me of my own mixes. The difference is, this dude does it professionally for the living.
It’s so much better than the previous two albums imo. Listening to them and comparing it with P&K it’s really obvious to me. Still some small things that maybe could be better, but sounds fine overall imo.

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

If you are listening to it on YouTube, it's going to sound like a compressed mess. I'd wait for the hard copy of the album

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Going to wait till the album release before listening to This Is War. Judging by the reactions though, I’m going to like it for sure!

iAmDavis
Brand New Start

Post by iAmDavis »

Easily my favorite single. I was debating it for a bit cause P&K was so good, but This Is War is absolutely incredible. Someone else on here said this could easily fit on Fortress and that was my first thought -- in the best way of course.

It's been a LONG time since Alter Bridge have given me chills on the first listen of a song. This one did it. I can't stop listening. That chorus is BIG.

Whitebird
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Whitebird »

This song is just great, it has it ALL

Edit: For now I only dislike ‘Silver Tongue’, it’s not my kind of song and I will probably always skip it, but 3 great songs out of 4 it’s good for me.

I remember when the 5 singles of Walk The Sky came out before the album and I only liked ‘Pay No Mind’ and ‘Dying Light’, it was so disappointing, now I’m fully hyped for this album.