Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
maximzub
On The Rail

Re: no u get the hell out. NO U.

Post by maximzub »

zazthespaz wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:01 am Also, Dolo - chill out. There's no need to tell someone to "get the hell out of here," just because you disagree with them. After all:
Dolo wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:44 amThis is a freaking AB discussion board where we're all allowed to have a discussion.
To be fair, I don't think Dolo was telling anyone to "get the hell out of here". He was illustrating the viewpoint of people who will take anything Alter Bridge ever produces and who will tell anyone that thinks differently than them to "get the hell out of here".
Dolo wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:44 am and then you have people like you who think that unless you pat those guys on the back and say 'yeeeah, great job, you've poured your hearts and souls into this' you can get the hell out of here.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: i blame my weak coffee.

Post by zazthespaz »

maximzub wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:25 am
zazthespaz wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:01 am Also, Dolo - chill out. There's no need to tell someone to "get the hell out of here," just because you disagree with them. After all:
Dolo wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:44 amThis is a freaking AB discussion board where we're all allowed to have a discussion.
To be fair, I don't think Dolo was telling anyone to "get the hell out of here". He was illustrating the viewpoint of people who will take anything Alter Bridge ever produces and who will tell anyone that thinks differently than them to "get the hell out of here".
Dolo wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:44 am and then you have people like you who think that unless you pat those guys on the back and say 'yeeeah, great job, you've poured your hearts and souls into this' you can get the hell out of here.
Fair. My apologies then.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Crumbso
On The Rail

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by Crumbso »

Ah, the good ol' TABN tradition of going off-piste for two pages for an existential discussion about 'what it means to be a fan' and 'what is valuable criticism'. That's nothing new.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

AB23 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:40 pmRelative to Alter Bridge's catalogue, I definitely put all 4 in the bottom half of my list.
Agreed. I mentioned this once before in another topic, but over the years it’s been hard not to notice the way fans sing along with songs like Find the Real, Metalingus etc (the verses as well), compared to a lot of AB’s output since perhaps Fortress. And I can’t see that changing much with the four songs we’ve heard from Pawns and Kings. I could be wrong though. And maybe this isn’t an issue anywhere else, just in my little corner of the UK (Cardiff).

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

zazthespaz wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:01 am I'm taking Stuzz's side on this one - yes it's a discussion board and yes everyone is allowed to post their opinions, but if you're coming on here after every song gets released to say "I still don't like it for the same reasons I mentioned in my last review," how is that benefitting/moving/progressing the conversation in any direction? You don't need to come on here and worship the band, you're free to come on here and criticize them (although, to what end aside from stress relief?), but to come on and complain because you expected something different from the first 3 songs and last 2 albums doesn't really do anything for the boards.
Following the same logic, you don't need to be coming here after every song and saying how badass it is? What does that contribute do the discussion? Why are the positive opinions privileged and the negatives ones frowned upon?

Additionally, I don't think AB23 has expressed himself negatively about each of the singles? That's about 'but if you're coming on here after every song gets released' bit.

Also, yeah, 'get the hell out of here' wasn't directed at you, I was presenting it in the way maximzub explained, didn't realize it was ambiguous.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Dolo wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:59 am
zazthespaz wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:01 am I'm taking Stuzz's side on this one - yes it's a discussion board and yes everyone is allowed to post their opinions, but if you're coming on here after every song gets released to say "I still don't like it for the same reasons I mentioned in my last review," how is that benefitting/moving/progressing the conversation in any direction? You don't need to come on here and worship the band, you're free to come on here and criticize them (although, to what end aside from stress relief?), but to come on and complain because you expected something different from the first 3 songs and last 2 albums doesn't really do anything for the boards.
Following the same logic, you don't need to be coming here after every song and saying how badass it is? What does that contribute do the discussion? Why are the positive opinions privileged and the negatives ones frowned upon?

Additionally, I don't think AB23 has expressed himself negatively about each of the singles? That's about 'but if you're coming on here after every song gets released' bit.

Also, yeah, 'get the hell out of here' wasn't directed at you, I was presenting it in the way maximzub explained, didn't realize it was ambiguous.
I think everybody should just be able to say their honest opinion about each song, and their music as a whole, here. I'm not on either side of "all the singles are good" or "all the singles are bad". Remember how I said that I even liked the new Nickelback song better than Sin After Sin? Also remember all the good things I said about Pawns & Kings the song? I'm just stating my honest opinion song by song. Everybody should be able to do that here without being shut down.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

i'm coming from the place of having *been* that person (many years ago - blackbird period) who would post the same complaint over and over again

and was rightfully called out on it which would only make me double down because i was a stubborn jerk and thought my opinions were just that important lmao

still embarrasses me a little bit

my point being that if you're going to keep coming back with the same complaint ('the production sucks'), it's much appreciated if it's more specific or nuanced than that

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Crumbso wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:16 am Ah, the good ol' TABN tradition of going off-piste for two pages for an existential discussion about 'what it means to be a fan' and 'what is valuable criticism'. That's nothing new.
Happy album cycle mate! Good to see ya :lol

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: i really need to get back to work...

Post by zazthespaz »

Dolo wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:59 am

I was wrong to post what I did - I was still waking up, half distracted by work I had started doing, and didn't fully interpret what everyone had said. I was acting on a sentiment of seeing "This doesn't sound like Blackbird or Fortress" posts I've seen over the years that I believe have contributed to a number of people leaving the boards because they're tired of seeing "This doesn't sound like Blackbird or Fortress." All I ask is that you bring something of value to these conversations. What do/don't you like about the song and why? Stop harping on the fact that it's a different sound than what we heard a decade ago, we all know that; if you've got nothing else to say than that, then please engage in the conversation in another way or thread.

I apologize if I've offended AB23 in anyway from this - not my intention, I am honestly glad to see your name popping back up on the boards again! (I also don't believe I said he expressed himself negatively)

Just trying to foster a positive environment on this fan site and keep what members we have active by maintaining a welcoming environment. Please do not think we want anyone to get the hell out (and please also do not put those words into other people's mouths). If you've moved on from Alter Bridge's sound, that's fine, feel free to engage in discussions about other bands or anything in the General Discussion forum.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

I think what we all need is to hear Stay.

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

The last week of waiting is the worst I swear! I hate this !! Can’t wait to be next Friday

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

AB4Lyfe wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:05 pm I think what we all need is to hear Stay.
I need to hear Holiday just because of the name.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Ubik wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:52 pm
AB4Lyfe wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:05 pm I think what we all need is to hear Stay.
I need to hear Holiday just because of the name.
And Season of Promise for the ODR vibes (supposedly) :)

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

but to come on and complain because you expected something different from the first 3 songs and last 2 albums doesn't really do anything for the boards
Its not like every song is the same. Of course we expect some variety.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: or bears?

Post by Timotheus »

zazthespaz wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:46 am...or anything in the General Discussion forum.
Also about politics?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

GassMoney92
Brand New Start

Post by GassMoney92 »

Lots of interesting opinions I see in here. I can understand where everyone is coming from though, whether I agree or not. Regardless, I’m just glad Alter Bridge is still going strong and we have a new album to look forward to. I’m just impressed at now 7 albums in, they’re still creating new and fresh sounds that we’re all anticipating. Fable and Stay are the two that I’m looking forward to hearing the most. I feel we’re in for some surprises :cheers

thatfunkodad
Brand New Start

Post by thatfunkodad »

I'm just going to ignore all the back and forth BS and say that I'm super excited to hear reactions coming out of the listening party tonight. Really curious to hear what songs they end up playing as well.

Now that I've had several listens through This is War and the rest of the songs released so far, I find myself skipping Silver Tongue. It's not a bad song by any stretch, but it doesn't have the same magic as the other 3 songs for me.

tremontibr
Brand New Start

Post by tremontibr »

thatfunkodad wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:01 pm I'm just going to ignore all the back and forth BS and say that I'm super excited to hear reactions coming out of the listening party tonight. Really curious to hear what songs they end up playing as well.

Now that I've had several listens through This is War and the rest of the songs released so far, I find myself skipping Silver Tongue. It's not a bad song by any stretch, but it doesn't have the same magic as the other 3 songs for me.
Yeah! Same here! :headbang

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Ignorance is bliss...and FRUSTRATING!!!...but still mostly bliss

Post by gbruin »

...just lying back with my feet crossed waiting to hear the album including the 4 singles in their entirety for the first time next Friday, and having little to no clue how everyone's reactions actually pertain to the songs...

But don't dis on AB23. I can't have that.

Awww, look at that little cloud floating by.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

I need to hear the whole album. NOW.

Jealous of the guys that are going to the listening party.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!