Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: Alter Bridge - VII

Post by anguyen92 »

Ubik wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:19 pm Yeah not crazy about that as a cover, I'm with Kev that it's just a tour image. Even looks something of a piece with an old Walk the Sky tour poster - https://mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net/proje ... 2abe35.jpg

We're actually way off track with the current thread cycle, we should've moved on to the ABVII - Studio/Recording Thread by now.
I wanted the shirt of that tour poster and go to a show from that tour. It was probably, to me, the best line-up of the album cycle. AB/BSC/Saint Asonia.

Stupid pandemic.

Merinda
Sig Queen

Post by Merinda »

peapod0609 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:23 pm So ladies and gentleman, question....

Should we change the name of the thread to "Pawns and Kings" instead of Alter Bridge VII now that Mark confirmed the album title? :D
Yasss.

I really dig the name.

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

peapod0609 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:23 pm So ladies and gentleman, question....

Should we change the name of the thread to "Pawns and Kings" instead of Alter Bridge VII now that Mark confirmed the album title? :D
Good point, point taken and done!
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

Trenthetfield
Brand New Start

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by Trenthetfield »

One hope I have for the new album - we hear less new music prior to the release day. 5 songs was too much in my opinion - I know it's the trend, but it does leave less in the way of surprises come release day. If just 2 got released, I'd be happy. Not trying to tell anyone how to do their job here, just my opinion!

Merinda
Sig Queen

Post by Merinda »

Trenthetfield wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:09 am One hope I have for the new album - we hear less new music prior to the release day. 5 songs was too much in my opinion - I know it's the trend, but it does leave less in the way of surprises come release day. If just 2 got released, I'd be happy. Not trying to tell anyone how to do their job here, just my opinion!
I actually agree with this! Having heard almost half the album by the time it came out, somehow made it less exciting. I may just avoid them this time if that many are released.

Red_D
Brand New Start

Post by Red_D »

Merinda wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:39 am
Trenthetfield wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:09 am One hope I have for the new album - we hear less new music prior to the release day. 5 songs was too much in my opinion - I know it's the trend, but it does leave less in the way of surprises come release day. If just 2 got released, I'd be happy. Not trying to tell anyone how to do their job here, just my opinion!
I actually agree with this! Having heard almost half the album by the time it came out, somehow made it less exciting. I may just avoid them this time if that many are released.
I only listened to Wouldn’t You Rather before WTS was released and think I enjoyed the album much more than I would have if I had already heard half of the songs. Will hopefully do the same for this album if I have the willpower 😂

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

"pawn & a king" is a lyric from frank sinatra "that's life". Maybe the album title was a mark title.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

nagpo wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:42 pm "pawn & a king" is a lyric from frank sinatra "that's life". Maybe the album title was a mark title.
According to Tim Tournier on Facebook it was a Myles title.

"Totally true story, Myles brought in a song called Pawn & Kings and Mark brought in a song call King (since renamed).. everyone went, “well, we have a theme!”

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

oh. so what's the theme then? are they going political again?

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

We have no clue, yet. They probably will given the events that has taken place in the world for the last two years, because they are humans like the rest of us and this may be their best outlet to show their thoughts of it if they choose to. If that happens, people can take it or leave it.

TheLastHero
Bought The CDs

Post by TheLastHero »

Okay, so how much do we know for sure about the album?

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

nagpo wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:31 am oh. so what's the theme then? are they going political again?
Every song is about the game of chess.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Andy92 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:30 pm
nagpo wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:31 am oh. so what's the theme then? are they going political again?
Life is a game of chess if one can think about it.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:35 am
nagpo wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:42 pm "pawn & a king" is a lyric from frank sinatra "that's life". Maybe the album title was a mark title.
According to Tim Tournier on Facebook it was a Myles title.

"Totally true story, Myles brought in a song called Pawn & Kings and Mark brought in a song call King (since renamed).. everyone went, “well, we have a theme!”
It would be cool to be a fly on the wall and watch how the band shapes a Myles song or a Mark song into an Alter Bridge song. I must admit, lately I get the vibe that Alter Bridge is two solo artists putting their work into a blender :lol

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Next album cycle: two songs that contain the word "deny". "Aha, looks like we have a theme!" :D
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

I'm into the title and the cover. WTS art was a significant step up from the likes of Fortress, Cauterize, Dust, and TLH - and I like this even more. I also like that the blackbird / crow has become their signature. Appropriate.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

anguyen92 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:04 pm
Andy92 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:30 pm
Life is a game of chess if one can think about it.
My bet is that the lyrics are actual quotes from chess textbooks.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Any evil figurehead = umpire

Post by zazthespaz »

Maybe it's about t-ball again a la Take the Crown. Pawns and Kings were the names of two teams and Myles was on one of them :lol
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Unironically this ^
For all of the hope that it brings...

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:35 am According to Tim Tournier on Facebook it was a Myles title.

So it's confirmed that Pawns & Kings is also a title track.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
I'm in love with somebody...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs