Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Dan Dando
On The Rail

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by Dan Dando »

Whitebird wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:39 pm And the whole intro of Season of Promise to me sounds like a mix of Foo Fighters' My Hero and Everlong.
I can hear that.

Anyone else think SoP would be a good song for Wolfie to join the band for on their upcoming tour? Not sure why, but I can really imagine Myles moving about the stage with his guitar on his back for SoP.

Edit - Also, imagine Myles, Mark (assuming he doesn’t do the backing parts live) and Wolfie all singing… “WE WAIT FOR THE HARVEST…”

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

Heard it for the first time just now because I had (and wanted) to wait for my musical soulmate to come back from vacation (we always have our first listen of a new album together). Very, very pleasantly surprised! Not a single really weak song on the album, which is a massive improvement over everything since ABIII. Possibly the best album since Fortress, although I always tend to underrate TLH a bit because there are quite some songs on there that I really don't like, which sometimes makes me fail to see how many great songs it has.

Anyway, Fable is massive. Like, REALLY massive. Potentially a top 3 AB song. It's likely the greatest musical journey that AB have ever put us through so far. Can't wait to listen to it again.

And I'm SO fucking stoked that they've introduced odd timings! I've started listening to some more progressive music throughout the last year, and while I don't like it when bands use odd timings just for the sake of it, using it to spice things up can make songs a lot more interesting. Last Man Standing is amazing in this regard (and most others as well)! I fucking love the pre-chorus! Never thought I'd hear something like that from this band! Great song in general, likely my second favourite from the album.

Gonna listen to it a few more times to consolidate my opinions on the individual songs, but great first impression. x)

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

i enjoyed the twists and turns of 'fable' the first couple times through but now i'm finding myself less interested in it

comparing it to 'blackbird' (a whole, united, massive work with actual hooks - kind of a miracle, really) feels absolutely wrong to me lol

still love the title track though

slasherbridge
White Knuckled

Post by slasherbridge »

Upon further listen, I definitely think Mark used a 7 string guitar for Fable of the Silent Son. The low notes sound like Ab. Which would be a 7 string guitar tuned down a half step and the lowest string in dropped tuning.

So that’s cool.

Also, the organ part in the right ear was a nice touch.

slasherbridge
White Knuckled

Post by slasherbridge »

Blackbird wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:18 pm Heard it for the first time just now because I had (and wanted) to wait for my musical soulmate to come back from vacation (we always have our first listen of a new album together).
This is adorable fyi.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

slasherbridge wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:56 pm Upon further listen, I definitely think Mark used a 7 string guitar for Fable of the Silent Son. The low notes sound like Ab. Which would be a 7 string guitar tuned down a half step and the lowest string in dropped tuning.
That can be also a 6 string for all we know, but there's a separate discussion on it in the tuning's thread.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

prowler5150
Brand New Start

Post by prowler5150 »

Sugar Blade wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:29 pm There is a Hi-Res Stereo release this time. Does anyone know how good is it?
Pro Studio Masters has posted the DR numbers, which are 5-7. So not good, like every other AB digital release (DR #s for AB vinyl are generally double those for the digital releases, though I have yet to hear any to see if there is an audible difference). The fact that the hi res files are 24/44.1 and not 24/96 or 24/192 usually indicates that the files are not better than the CD.

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

I just got my vinyl in from Alter Bridge order. Great packaging and artwork.... Extremely disappointed in the lack of a lyrics sheet on the sleeve of the album. Oh well. Just is always fun to read the lyrics while listening to the record.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

It is odd if there isn't one on the vinyl as they've done the work already for the CD. I'm peeved they went to cardboard packaging on this one as it spoils my shelf continuity.
For all of the hope that it brings...

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

So i just listened to the record for the first time. I do like it. Kinda surprised it was only 10 songs but I think it's okay because each song is very complex. There is a lot of meat to each song. Very technical. They went a very different direction than the last record, I was kind of disappointed in that because the last one was very moody and experimental. But I think this one is kind of experimental too but in a different way.

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Post by Schulzy »

pokefan_4 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:00 pm I just got my vinyl in from Alter Bridge order. Great packaging and artwork.... Extremely disappointed in the lack of a lyrics sheet on the sleeve of the album. Oh well. Just is always fun to read the lyrics while listening to the record.
I don't understand the lack of lyric sheet. I thought the same thing when I received mine.
_^:Tangled in your trance and I'm certain:^_

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

“It’s over now, I’ve learned from my mistakes”

—-Blackbird is definitely a good song. I will say however, when I need a song to listen to when I’m missing someone who passed on, I usually prefer In Loving Memory.

——-Fable has cool lyrics and a nice lyrical theme. Even if not everyone here loves the song, I’m really glad they tried something different. I give points for that alone.

—-Holiday has a fun groove to it.

I’ll need multiple listens of this album before I can know how I feel for sure about it.

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

Ubik wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:03 pm It is odd if there isn't one on the vinyl as they've done the work already for the CD. I'm peeved they went to cardboard packaging on this one as it spoils my shelf continuity.
Someone posted the japanese version and its a jeweled case so there may be one in other regions.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: sorry environment, Ubik needs a cool lookin cd collection

Post by zazthespaz »

Ubik wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:03 pm It is odd if there isn't one on the vinyl as they've done the work already for the CD. I'm peeved they went to cardboard packaging on this one as it spoils my shelf continuity.
Wasn't ABIII cardboard? (Digipak?) Or was that just a US thing? (Or am I making that up?)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Crumbso
On The Rail

Re: sorry environment, Ubik needs a cool lookin cd collection

Post by Crumbso »

zazthespaz wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:57 am
Wasn't ABIII cardboard? (Digipak?) Or was that just a US thing? (Or am I making that up?)
My original 2010 UK ABIII is a jewel case.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: zaz cackling as he levels rainforests for precious physical media

Post by Ubik »

MOAR PLASTIC
For all of the hope that it brings...

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Is anyone able to point me in the direction of the recent interview where Mark mentions singing "Night Shift" at karaoke? I can't remember which one it was, or even whether it was print or video.

(This is kind of important to me, Mark and Bruce Springsteen are arguably my two biggest musical influences and Bruce just released a stunning cover of that song last week. Surreal for that song to converge on me like that a few days before what would've been my dad's 75th birthday. Bruce's version inspired a new song of mine and then I ended up crying my eyes out to his version this morning.)

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

scarecrow wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:09 pm Is anyone able to point me in the direction of the recent interview where Mark mentions singing "Night Shift" at karaoke? I can't remember which one it was, or even whether it was print or video.

(This is kind of important to me, Mark and Bruce Springsteen are arguably my two biggest musical influences and Bruce just released a stunning cover of that song last week. Surreal for that song to converge on me like that a few days before what would've been my dad's 75th birthday. Bruce's version inspired a new song of mine and then I ended up crying my eyes out to his version this morning.)
Check out the latest page of the randomness thread, I mentioned it :)

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

You know, I'm actually starting to like Sin After Sin now that Fable Of The Silent Son is out....
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
I'm in love with somebody...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Dan Dando wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:21 pm
scarecrow wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:09 pm Is anyone able to point me in the direction of the recent interview where Mark mentions singing "Night Shift" at karaoke? I can't remember which one it was, or even whether it was print or video.

Check out the latest page of the randomness thread, I mentioned it :)
Bless you!

Edit: I'm probably looking in the wrong place but I can't find it. :headscratch