Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
gbruin
MEGLADONG

Yeah, it's just a front, but that's all I got

Post by gbruin »

maximzub wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:58 pm
Jealous of the guys that are going to the listening party.
lol, So true. I'd be coping a totally different attitude if I were getting to hear it tonight!
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by pokefan_4 »

Acoustic performance at the LP.. interesting

Whitebird
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Whitebird »

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Whitebird wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:01 pm https://metalplanetmusic.com/2022/10/al ... and-kings/

New review!
This makes me more hyped for Dead Among The Living, Stay, and Last Man Standing; less hyped for Holiday; way more apprehensive towards Fable Of The Silent Son; and mildly crushed that Season Of Promise might not sound as much like One Day Remains as they've advertised it.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

maximzub wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:19 pm
Whitebird wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:01 pm https://metalplanetmusic.com/2022/10/al ... and-kings/

New review!
This makes me more hyped for Dead Among The Living, Stay, and Last Man Standing; less hyped for Holiday; way more apprehensive towards Fable Of The Silent Son; and mildly crushed that Season Of Promise might not sound as much like One Day Remains as they've advertised it.
That review barely mentions Season of Promise, so we’ll have to wait and see :)

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Dan Dando wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:00 pm
maximzub wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:19 pm

New review!
That review barely mentions Season of Promise, so we’ll have to wait and see :)
"Season of Promise” brings us back into foot tapping, groovin’ air play territory
I don't think the ballads on One Day Remains are much of foot-tappers or air-players (unless you're me, I air-play everything I know how to actually play just for practice). The ballad style on One Day Remains is my favorite style, so this probably means that Season Of Promise is not going to be that.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

all right, i think this is where i dip out and come back when i've heard the record

still have only heard silver tongue and pawns & kings (and not in at least a month) so i've got a lot to look forward to <3

be well, everyone !

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Fun fact: Today will be the first time Alter Bridge plays live since I discovered them.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

rising_waters007
Brand New Start

Post by rising_waters007 »

I am back at my car after the LP. What a fun night meeting some fans there.

In a quick summation, I would say the title track is the best song on the album. It feels the most… cohesive.

Mark’s song, Stay, is fantastic, though. He sounds great, and so does Myles on his parts.

Fable is very interesting. Need to hear this (and every other new song) with proper headphones. Lots going on with transitions but they pulled it off pretty well.

I feel that the album itself is somewhat lacking as a whole.

I give it (upon a murky first listen) a 8/10. Very solid.

rising_waters007
Brand New Start

Post by rising_waters007 »

rising_waters007 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:42 pm I am back at my car after the LP. What a fun night meeting some fans there.

In a quick summation, I would say the title track is the best song on the album. It feels the most… cohesive.

Mark’s song, Stay, is fantastic, though. He sounds great, and so does Myles on his parts.

Fable is very interesting. Need to hear this (and every other new song) with proper headphones. Lots going on with transitions but they pulled it off pretty well.

I feel that the album itself is somewhat lacking as a whole.

I give it (upon a murky first listen) a 8/10. Very solid.
Adding some more thoughts, without spoilers…

Love SAS. That intro riff is killer. Idk, I could hear this on ABIII.

Dead Among the Living seemed to be a crowd favorite as well.

For what it’s worth, I was really into every song. There’s some pretty head-banging worthy tunes and grooves. I cannot remember which song it was, but there were a couple of tempo changes that caught me off guard.

The set list for acoustic from what I can remember:
Before Tomorrow Comes
Burn it Down
Lover
Silver Tongue
In Loving Memory
Watch Over You
Open Your Eyes

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

rising_waters007 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:59 pm The set list for acoustic from what I can remember:
Before Tomorrow Comes
Burn It Down
Lover
Silver Tongue
In Loving Memory
Watch Over You
Open Your Eyes
Thanks! It's up on setlist.fm.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/alter-br ... 1d205.html
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

Another review:

https://www.metaltalk.net/alter-bridge- ... career.php
ALTER BRIDGE / PAWNS AND KINGS A STAGGERING NEW OPUS IN AN ALREADY GLITTERING CAREER
OCTOBER 7, 2022

If there was ever any doubt that Alter Bridge are destined to be one of the biggest bands in the world, Pawns And Kings will blow away any hesitation. This, their seventh studio album, is a clear and overwhelmingly strong statement of intent that builds on an already stellar catalogue, extending their reach to the highest levels yet.

Alter Bridge – Pawns And Kings (Napalm Records)

Release Date: 14 October 2022

Words: Paul Monkhouse

There’s a hunger here that seeps out of every pore and note. That burning desire is not just to please the fans but to push themselves even harder than before, and as such, Pawns And Kings is a breathless rush that leaves you dizzy with its ambition.

Looking back to their One Day Remains debut, it’s hard to fully comprehend their struggles since such a striking introduction, but Alter Bridge have always been fighters, their kinship and confidence in the music giving them a razor-sharp focus.

Working once again with Michael ‘Elvis’ Baskette in the Producer’s chair, the quartet have delivered a ten-track killer that contains some of their heaviest work but also never stints on the light and shade that they’ve become masters of.

With opener This Is War kicking things off in suitably grand fashion, the riffs of Mark Tremonti have never been tougher. Myles Kennedy’s voice soars, and the rhythm section of Brian Marshall’s bass and the drums of Scott Phillips sound like the apocalypse. We’re talking Marvel Superhero levels of world-destroying power here. Fortunately, whilst it may sound huge, there’s never even a hint of bombast, the band too smart and honest for big yet ultimately hollow gestures.

Tremonti told MetalTalk recently that some of the heaviest tracks come from Kennedy, and you have to wonder which of the six-stringers turned the volume to maximum on monsters like Dead Amongst The Living and Silver Tongue. You just know that as impressive as they are on record, these tracks will absolutely blow the place apart when played from arena, stadium and festival stages.

This sense of a Metallica-sized freight train punch is counterpointed by the hooks and melodies that the band manage to imbue each track with, the tightrope walk of blending these two, at times seemingly disparate elements a key element of their success. Sin After Sin is a prime example of this particular skill, the furious maelstrom that wreaks havoc throughout being raised further by the huge chorus that will stay in your head for days.

Tremonti steps up to the mike for lead vocals on the powerful and upbeat Stay, a track that feels like it could change the world with its radiance and force alone. The following Holiday has a fascinating intro and continues into a brilliant and twisting creature that will make your head spin. This, though, is only a prelude to the longest and most epic, in every sense of the word, song on the album, Fable Of The Silent Sun.

Taking you on a journey, the band have created something intended to rival some of the highest peaks of rock music in the last half-century, the playing and themes full of a dynamic tension that never borders on the overcooked.

What we’re talking about here is Led Zeppelin levels of grandeur, and this centrepiece of Pawns And Kings is going to be one that will be endlessly poured over, dissected and enjoyed in the same way that the Midlands Legends output at its peak has been.

All of this has great layers but not too many that smother the visceral reaction that the album has. Oddly, the slightly sparser production brings a rawness that gives the sound a more thunderous edge.

With a mountain to climb after such a high, the closing trio of songs bring things home in a victory circuit that is never less than the quality of all that proceeds it and Seasons Of Promise, Last Man Standing and the titular Pawns And Kings ring with a grit and honesty that is never second best to anyone or anything.

Given the positive nature of the album, the central core of the message is hope, and the David versus Goliath spirit of the closer is the call to arms and empowerment that catches the zeitgeist perfectly.

Alter Bridge have always eschewed any temptations to head down roads that are purely sugar-coated, but instead, their pragmatism is marbled with a heavy dose of encouragement that makes album number seven not just a thrilling one musically but also one that lifts the spirits.

One of the few bands worthy enough to take on the mantle of the giants of rock, hard work, talent, and warrior souls have brought Alter Bridge to this point and Pawns And Kings seems likely to elevate them even further.

By anyone’s reckoning, this album is a staggering new opus in an already glittering career. They are unstoppable.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Sounds like the reviews are great. I'm really looking forward to being able to listen to the album in one sitting without the fatigue their longer albums can bring.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

AB4Lyfe wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:41 am
Crumbso wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:16 am Ah, the good ol' TABN tradition of going off-piste for two pages for an existential discussion about 'what it means to be a fan' and 'what is valuable criticism'. That's nothing new.
Happy album cycle mate! Good to see ya :lol
Always happy to chime in with a pointlessly sarcastic aside :lol The temperature is high near album release.

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

Sounds like Fable of the Silent Sun is going to be life changing

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

According to that review the whole album is lmao. I think you should set the expectations a bit lower haha.

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

fix wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:22 am According to that review the whole album is lmao. I think you should set the expectations a bit lower haha.
Did you get to hear the record last night? I haven't seen many people talking about the LP!

maximzub
On The Rail

Re: Alter Bridge - VII

Post by maximzub »

maximzub wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:57 am More heavy stuff like Fortress and The Last Hero, but not dark like AB III.

Some heartwarming ballads like on One Day Remains.

At least one real epic (6-7 min) but not too many of them like on The Last Hero.

No nasally singing from Myles.

Scale back on the synths.

More Myles guitar solos.

If Myles is going to harmonize with himself, don't do way too many layers like on Walk The Sky.

No overtly political lyrics.

The solos shouldn't always be at the end of the songs like on Marching In Time.

That's what I want from Alter Bridge VII.
Just found this from many moons ago. I've only heard 4 songs and some reviews of the other 6, but it seems like I'm getting everything I asked for here!

Heavy stuff like Fortress and The Last Hero = It's everywhere. Pawns & Kings, Silver Tongue, and This Is War are bangers.

Heartwarming ballad = Some people say Season Of Promise is like that. Hopefully it really is.

No nasally singing from Myles = It's not "none", but a lot less than on Slash + MK&C's last record.

Scale back on the synths = They did, and they actually scaled back on the entire production.

More Myles guitar solos = Mark says he pushed Myles to do more solos, and I've already heard two of them (although the one in Sin After Sin is hard to even call a solo).

No overlayering of harmonies = So far, so good.

No overtly political lyrics = So far, so good.

Solos not always at the end of songs = That happened with Pawns & Kings and This Is War so far.

Woohoo! Hyped for 11:00 PM on Thursday! I'm for sure going to stay up late to listen to the entire album.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

fix wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:22 am According to that review the whole album is lmao. I think you should set the expectations a bit lower haha.
Yeah, jesus christ, music reviewers have a tendency to go over the top but this one is on another level of 'excess'.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: Don't get me started on excess

Post by Timotheus »

I like over-the-top!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.