Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by DarkKnight12 »

pokefan_4 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:48 pm So 4 of 10 songs released before the actual album release.... gross.. But that's the world we live in now
Actually it isn’t the world we live in. Plenty of bands release only 1 or 2 songs prior to the release. But then again, I do not criticize AB’s strategy.

For what it’s worth, I will really try everything I can to not listen to Sin after Sin. I might listen to this is war though

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

My guess is that This is war will release in September. And Sin after Sin will release a week before album release day.

If that is indeed the case, This is war I might listen. Sin after Sin I will hold out just as I did for Dying Light!

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

I would rather bands release a full 10 song album.. and have 4 songs held back. Do a reversal of this path. Release 10 songs... Then like one month after the release, release another song. Then another month goes by, another song. And so on and so forth for as many "extra" songs as there are. To me, that would make me want "more" rather than getting drowned out with 4 songs over and over and over before the album drops, to where I'll just skip them when I listen to the album.

Why would that not work? Debut the song at a concert live... "Our next new song off our 10-song album is BIG BALL CITY.. HERE YOU GO!" Bang.. then it's all over the world and streaming that night at midnight.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I'm surprised they will have released two songs over 6 mins for the IG tracks. Didnt see that coming at all. At least we'll still have Fable to listen to on release day :D Looking forward to hearing SAS and TIW soon though! 59 Days to go :peace

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

I'm gonna bet that This Is War will be released next Tuesday and will be a speed metal banger like A World Away. Actually, I hope it's better than A World Away....

I originally wrote an entire post explaining why I thought This Is War would be the next single, but every time I tried to post it, I would get a 500 Internal Server Error.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
I'm in love with somebody...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

This is the format I expected but I may try to hold out till October to listen to anything else…if I can. :D
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Whitebird
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Whitebird »

Wow, I can’t believe that I’m actually considering to not listen to any more singles, I think my Walk The Sky experience was ruined because of listening to those 5 songs before the album release.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Ya this may be wildly inaccurate, but I feel like they always release a song within 2 weeks before the album's release. The mods here are gonna get the album a month before it comes out and drop subtle hints about it or its lyrics. More reviews will start flowing soon.

I bet they release the 3rd song in 2 weeks and the 4th song in the first week of October. I never end up liking any of the first few songs AB releases before their album, so I may just skip the next two singles entirely until 10/14.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

anguyen92 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:04 pm You should have pulled the trigger right away the day they announced it. I did without hesitation.
I wasn’t fast enough again… I’ve been working so much that I keep missing deadlines.:(
Keeping up with school assignments has been hard as well!

Everything happens for a reason. One day I willl get to see the listening party!

I hope you have a wonderful time please share your experience! :)

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ I know I will. I've already shared my experience in the last one. Don't think this one will be as detailed or extremely wordy. Turning 30 has depleted my ability to type long. I think I can hold out for 45 days without listening to anything from Pawns & Kings until then.
Last edited by anguyen92 on Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

anguyen92 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:05 am ^^ I know I will. I've already shared my experience in the last one. Don't think this one will be as detailed or extremely wordy. Turning 30 as depleted my ability to type long. I think I can hold out for 45 days without listening to anything from Pawns & Kings until then.
I think you will be amazing! I admire you for being so fast at getting a ticket and I am so jealous!!!! Can’t wait to read about your experience.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Case study for extra credit in grad school maybe? hmmm....

Post by zazthespaz »

pokefan_4 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:38 pm I would rather bands release a full 10 song album.. and have 4 songs held back. Do a reversal of this path. Release 10 songs... Then like one month after the release, release another song. Then another month goes by, another song. And so on and so forth for as many "extra" songs as there are. To me, that would make me want "more" rather than getting drowned out with 4 songs over and over and over before the album drops, to where I'll just skip them when I listen to the album.

Why would that not work? Debut the song at a concert live... "Our next new song off our 10-song album is BIG BALL CITY.. HERE YOU GO!" Bang.. then it's all over the world and streaming that night at midnight.
I don't necessarily agree with releasing all the songs, but I do wonder why they don't release more singles post-release like you suggest. It seems to me like marketing the album once it's out would be more supportive, especially with streaming services. "Oh you like that single you heard on the radio or Spotify playlist? Go hear the rest of the album now!" Their current strategy of 4 months of "Here's two singles, now wait a few months for the full album and try to not forget about it" doesn't make sense to me, especially as someone in marketing.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: Case study for extra credit in grad school maybe? hmmm....

Post by Timotheus »

zazthespaz wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:37 am
pokefan_4 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:38 pm I would rather bands release a full 10 song album.. and have 4 songs held back. Do a reversal of this path. Release 10 songs... Then like one month after the release, release another song. Then another month goes by, another song. And so on and so forth for as many "extra" songs as there are. To me, that would make me want "more" rather than getting drowned out with 4 songs over and over and over before the album drops, to where I'll just skip them when I listen to the album.

I don't necessarily agree with releasing all the songs, but I do wonder why they don't release more singles post-release like you suggest. It seems to me like marketing the album once it's out would be more supportive, especially with streaming services. "Oh you like that single you heard on the radio or Spotify playlist? Go hear the rest of the album now!" Their current strategy of 4 months of "Here's two singles, now wait a few months for the full album and try to not forget about it" doesn't make sense to me, especially as someone in marketing.
I'm guessing 95% of their album sales comes from pre-sales and first week sales. So trying to create as much hype as possible for about 3-4 months with about equal time between each new single makes sense to me. I don't particularly agree with it, because I think there's a lot to gain post-release as well, but I think it's something they learned over releasing over a dozen albums since 2010 with all their projects.

(But that's coming from somebody who's not in marketing)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

joshuabeau wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:14 pm From the email -

Hello Friends!

We are excited to release our 6th studio album "Pawns & Kings” on October 14th 2022. It includes the current single 'Silver Tongue' along with 'Sin after Sin' and 'This is War' coming out soon. Be sure to Follow for first access.

You can check out the current singles, shop exclusive merch, VIP experiences and grab concert tickets at the link above right now!

Thank you for the support, we appreciate YOU!

Best,
AB
6th album?? It's their 7th!

1. One Day Remains
2. Blackbird
3. AB III
4. Fortress
5. The Last Hero
6. Walk The Sky
7. Pawns & Kings

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Oops. That's a marketing mistake there.

TTournier
White Knuckled

Post by TTournier »

Rock bands who just drop albums, fail. every time. We take the approach (thats also clearly working) of a movie, you do trailers, normally up to 4 trailers leading up to a release. We were one of the first to embrace IG structure on TLH and it really helped the guys. 60% of all business happens online and unfortunately in-order to stay in the automated algorithm you need to keep releasing content, feeding the machine. I find it annoying but do to what you suggested would be the end for many artists.

Flatley'sCrutch
Brand New Start

Post by Flatley'sCrutch »

I understand the need to release singles, just not 4 BEFORE album drop. Singles are singles, why spoil the album before its out? Many fans may be interested but skip the album if they've already heard most of it.

We are the diehards on this forum, not the casual fans for the most part, and we want the guys to succeed as much as they do, but I don't see any real data, just arrogant-sounding anecdotes from TT. Fail every time? Give me a break. (I know you're not TRYING to sound arrogant, but your confidence comes off that way online--and you're representing the band)

Best of luck to the guys, hope to see a US tour announced soon (not festivals!)

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

Flatley'sCrutch wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:18 pm I understand the need to release singles, just not 4 BEFORE album drop. Singles are singles, why spoil the album before its out? Many fans may be interested but skip the album if they've already heard most of it.

We are the diehards on this forum, not the casual fans for the most part, and we want the guys to succeed as much as they do, but I don't see any real data, just arrogant-sounding anecdotes from TT. Fail every time? Give me a break. (I know you're not TRYING to sound arrogant, but your confidence comes off that way online--and you're representing the band)

Best of luck to the guys, hope to see a US tour announced soon (not festivals!)
Arrogant? The marketing approach he describes is clearly logical irrespective of how you/anyone else believes it may spoil the album.

I also personally dislike that I'll have listened to 40% of the album before its release, but if that's the optimal business strategy for the band then so be it.
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

You also don't have to listen. I know it's tough when everyone else is talking about it, but you can do it. Think I'm gonna make a support group thread when the next one comes out :beer
For all of the hope that it brings...

Red_D
Brand New Start

Post by Red_D »

Ubik wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:36 pm You also don't have to listen. I know it's tough when everyone else is talking about it, but you can do it. Think I'm gonna make a support group thread when the next one comes out :beer
I’m with you Ubik…..i have listened to Pawns & Kings a few times but haven't listened to Silver Tounge once & wont listen to any other singles before the album drops :peace