Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by DarkKnight12 »

This song, to me, is a Mark song throughout.

P&K however, is mainly a Myles song in my
opinion. I say mainly as Mark probably contributed to the songwriting but I believe Myles is the one who brought the bull of P&K on the table, while Mark brought Silver tongue to the table

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Man I love how Myles sings the chorus coming out of the bridge.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

Really like the song, wish it had a solo though.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

inevitable (and not a knock at this point because they're 7 albums in) but i can definitely hear other ab songs in here

for me it's a pretty interesting synthesis of find the real, coming home, blackbird, slip to the void, addicted to pain, the uninvited, poison in your veins, and pay no mind

and yet still its own thing

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

does anyone think there's tension between myles' and michael tremonti's politics? i'm pretty sure michael moving so far to the right is a relatively recent development but i'm not sure. i wonder how mark juggles that (especially now that the music has become more overtly political). because i'd guess mark is somewhere between the two, but leaning towards myles (based on ab's lyrical content).

**like i said before, it's totally possible for people of different political persuasions, faiths, etc. to peacefully co-exist in families, businesses, and bands, but the art itself here becoming more outwardly left-leaning is interesting (and heartening) to me

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

They've been a band in the span of 18 years, I can't see things like politics and religion break the band apart. If it did, they might have called it after The Last Hero. I would like to think everyone can be all level-headed enough given what all these guys have gone through in life and their careers to not let opinions of certain things get the better of the band. Here's an Ultimate-Guitar about how differences in faith has no affect on AB. I imagine it should be the same regarding politics.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge ... nship.html

jcrowe
Brand New Start

Post by jcrowe »

Glad to see someone mention Find the Real. The main riff brought me back to ODR days as Find the Real was my favorite song off that album, specifically the riff. Was one of the first things that crossed my mind when listening to Silver Tongue.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Yeah I can see Silver Tongue being about the insurrection (Trump).

jcrowe
Brand New Start

Post by jcrowe »

:facepalm

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

——It’s absolutely possible.

Show me a Leader was probably about Trump. Again I’m not saying it’s 100% set in stone here. Definitely possible tho.

—-@Shea

Btw, how do ppl get those tracks where it’s just vocals isolated, or just guitar isolated?

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

jcrowe wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:54 pm:facepalm
:lol

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

'show me a leader' didn't seem to be about anyone in particular imo

myles' lyrics are getting more politically explicit, though, and i'm here for it lmao
Last edited by scarecrow on Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

jcrowe wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:17 pm Glad to see someone mention Find the Real. The main riff brought me back to ODR days as Find the Real was my favorite song off that album, specifically the riff. Was one of the first things that crossed my mind when listening to Silver Tongue.
hell yup :cheers

Scotty
Brand New Start

Post by Scotty »

Speaking of other songs being heard in the mix, strong Calm the Fire vibes from the outro.

Whitebird
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Whitebird »

I personally like the new single, overall I love the chorus, not so much the verses, I love the bridge, I love the quiet transition after the bridge.

Now on details, It's strange to me the fact that in the verses Myles' voice sounds nasally, but in the bridge? Dude, that's the best vocal performance of Myles that I've heard in a looooooong time, it's sounds so fucking strong that it's like hearing 'Blackbird era' Myles, it was actually nostalgic.

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

Welcome Whitebird!
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

Whitebird wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:29 am I personally like the new single, overall I love the chorus, not so much the verses, I love the bridge, I love the quiet transition after the bridge.

Now on details, It's strange to me the fact that in the verses Myles' voice sounds nasally, but in the bridge? Dude, that's the best vocal performance of Myles that I've heard in a looooooong time, it's sounds so fucking strong that it's like hearing 'Blackbird era' Myles, it was actually nostalgic.
Couldn't have put it better myself. I've always considered his increasing nasality to be a consequence of aging and proper vocal technique (vowel modification), but this musn't be the whole story because now and again he'll go and KILL a vocal section like the bridge in silver tongue! As you say, that is seriously close to his prime vocal period (which imo was 2007-2014).

A head-scratcher for sure.
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

iAmDavis
Brand New Start

Post by iAmDavis »

That little part of Silver Tongue where it's just Myles (near the end before the final chorus) gives me super strong ABIII vibes. Alternatively, bridge makes me think of TLH. I'm perfectly fine with both. I'm surprised there's so many who don't like this one. I think it's a great teaser for the album. It for sure leaves me wanting more.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

axlar wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:05 am Whitebird!
Opposite of the name Blackbird?

Cool