Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by Mr. Slash »

Dan Dando wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:42 am
Ubik wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:22 am The tracklist release thing had the lyrics as "truth of a crime", and to be fair I have no idea what "tooth of a crime" would mean.
Wonder if it’s a nod of sorts to this…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tooth_of_Crime
Would even make sense, somehow

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

"Eager to make an outing, Hoss is frustrated when the Star-Man advises him against it on the basis of his astrology. Hoss learns that his rival, Mojo Root Force, has encroached upon his territory in Las Vegas in a move of questionable legality. After getting word that a Gypsy from Vegas is on his way to attack him, Hoss calls an old friend, Little Willard, for backup, only to find that Willard has committed suicide due to his inability to cope with his status. These successive revelations exacerbate Hoss's self-doubt and his belief that the old way is dying, and he attempts to perk up his confidence by challenging the Gypsy to a shiv fight."

Well I now want the album to be based entirely off this.
For all of the hope that it brings...

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

P&K was a better song. But i don't really like either songs. not my thing. Seems AB is just going in a different direction this record. I liked their previous record a lot so I don't know why they didn't continue down that road. but it seems they're going back on a TLH type record.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

AB23 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:25 am It's on Youtube now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T71TTf7ito8

Oddly enough, they turned the comments off for this song. They still have the comments up on PaK.
I wouldn't read anything into that. Digital music distribution is all automated these days. And you can see on the page the upload was made by their distributor (The Orchard Enterprises).

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

Myles is slaughtering these vocals. That bridge is incredible. So impressed with what he’s doing on this record. Everything flows nicely and it sounds huge. They’ve stepped it up.

Lyrics are 100% from Trump’s perspective on Jan 6.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

I like the verses, and the bridge is, as usual for Alter Bridge, the best part of the song. I’m not a fan of the chorus melody, though, and the drums during the chorus kind of put me off. Other than that, I enjoy it. Pawns and Kings is superior though.

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

I'm coming in full defense of Elvis and the Band here... Listening to this song on YouTube then going to a real streaming platform like Apple Music and listening to it there, is night and day difference production wise. YouTube already compresses their videos, and it makes this song sound like a muddy mess. Listening on Apple Music, this song is really well produced. You can hear the full range of the entire band very well and Myles voice sits really well in the mix. I strongly suggest to listen to it properly. I added some EQ flair on my end to fit my ear (bringing in a little more of Brian's Bass and cutting some of the 250 and 500 HZ frequencies out a little to clear things up better).

Do yourself a favor and treat the song with the service of a proper stream. I can't wait for the vinyl now.

Scotty
Brand New Start

Post by Scotty »

psycosquirrel789 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:12 pm Myles is slaughtering these vocals. That bridge is incredible. So impressed with what he’s doing on this record. Everything flows nicely and it sounds huge. They’ve stepped it up.

Yeah it's fairly clear.

Music-wise. I love the bridge and the vocals in the outro. The chorus is good and it's been in my head all day so I'd say that's catchy. Verses are OK, the little bridge/pre-chorus that's different in the first verse is a little weird. But the riff is killer. Really like it.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

psycosquirrel789 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:12 pm Myles is slaughtering these vocals. That bridge is incredible. So impressed with what he’s doing on this record. Everything flows nicely and it sounds huge. They’ve stepped it up.

Oh shit you're right, just read the lyrics and yeah, pretty clear. Good call. :cheers

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Myles has been singing about social justice and generally left-leaning politics since the 'Cure Me With The Groove' days. And based on Michael Tremonti's Twitter, he gone pretty far right.

If Myles and Michael can co-exist in the AB family, so can everyone here.

(I got a ton of shit for posting about how 'Pay No Mind' was obviously, to me at least, about the same political figure that's being discussed here. But the cool thing about music is that it can mean whatever you want it to mean. And I think any musical artist worth their salt *wants* the listener to make every song their own.)

Scotty
Brand New Start

Post by Scotty »

scarecrow wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:23 pm Myles has been singing about social justice and generally left-leaning politics since the 'Cure Me With The Groove' days. And based on Michael Tremonti's Twitter, he gone pretty far right.

If Myles and Michael can co-exist in the AB family, so can everyone here.

(I got a ton of shit for posting about how 'Pay No Mind' was obviously, to me at least, about the same political figure that's being discussed here. But the cool thing about music is that it can mean whatever you want it to mean. And I think any musical artist worth their salt *wants* the listener to make every song their own.)
Yes Pay No Mind was in the same vein and its clear. It might be uncomfortable for some people if they politically disagree with Myles but love his music, but it's clear what he is broadcasting lyrically for some time.

Arguably Trump has featured on three album cycles now.

Edit:

I don't think the production is muddy. Had a good set of headphones and on Spotify and it sounded really good. Each to their own.
Last edited by Scotty on Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mullet151
Brand New Start

Post by Mullet151 »

Not sure if this has been stated already but do we know who's song this is? I always love playing that game. Myles bringing heavy riffs and Mark constantly bringing mellow tracks has made the guessing game more difficult last couple album cycles.

Scotty
Brand New Start

Post by Scotty »

Mullet151 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:30 pm Not sure if this has been stated already but do we know who's song this is? I always love playing that game. Myles bringing heavy riffs and Mark constantly bringing mellow tracks has made the guessing game more difficult last couple album cycles.
Good point. I'd guess Myles but only because of the parts of the song in the first verse that felt slightly forced in. But also because the chorus has slight Suckerpunch vibes?

Scotty
Brand New Start

Post by Scotty »

Mullet151 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:30 pm Not sure if this has been stated already but do we know who's song this is? I always love playing that game. Myles bringing heavy riffs and Mark constantly bringing mellow tracks has made the guessing game more difficult last couple album cycles.
Good point. I'd guess Myles but only because of the parts of the song in the first verse that felt slightly forced in. But also because the chorus has slight Suckerpunch vibes?

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

This track might be the toughest call yet. My gut says Myles because of the lyrics and and chorus, but the main riff is very Tremonti (although not consistent with his tone elsewhere on the song).

We know 'Pay No Mind' was a Mark song. Does that mean he wrote most / all of the lyrics? If so, then I'd feel more comfortable guessing this is a Mark song given its similar lyrical content.

MylesKennedy69
Brand New Start

Post by MylesKennedy69 »

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

MylesKennedy69 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:49 pm It's out!!!

https://youtu.be/snl8OANQ948
appreciate the effort that went into this but it's an odd fit for the song imo

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

scarecrow wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:44 pm
This track might be the toughest call yet. My gut says Myles because of the lyrics and and chorus, but the main riff is very Tremonti (although not consistent with his tone elsewhere on the song).

We know 'Pay No Mind' was a Mark song. Does that mean he wrote most / all of the lyrics? If so, then I'd feel more comfortable guessing this is a Mark song given its similar lyrical content.
Pretty sure I recall Myles mentioning that the movie The Big Short inspired his lyrics for Pay No Mind.

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

It's okay but I infinitely prefer performance videos. I still vividly remember the hype that came with the video for Addicted to Pain.
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

MylesKennedy69
Brand New Start

Post by MylesKennedy69 »

scarecrow wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:00 pm
MylesKennedy69 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:49 pm It's out!!!

https://youtu.be/snl8OANQ948
appreciate the effort that went into this but it's an odd fit for the song imo
Agreed. What does it even mean haha