Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by Timotheus »

Aside from the chorus (and the main riff), I don't find the song to be very catchy as a whole. I don't find the verses memorable, and there's really not much tying everything together, besides the chords of the main riff recurring in the chorus. I hope it will do well on the radio.
I'm going to correct myself. I hear some of the main riff in the second part of the verse as well. Wish it had been a bit more prominent in those parts, but oh well...
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Trenthetfield
Brand New Start

Post by Trenthetfield »

Okay song, not an instant classic though like P&K - although they're obviously very different things - totally agree with the 'where's the solo' comments.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

News flash: not every song has to have a solo (see In Loving Memory, Broken Wings, Words Darker Than Their Wings)

It wouldn't have saved it even if it had it anyway.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Trenthetfield
Brand New Start

Post by Trenthetfield »

Might not have saved it, but would've made it a bit more interesting.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

I’ll never understand why Mark isn’t singing the backing “ahhhh” parts during this. Would make it better to play live surely.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Dan Dando wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:26 pm I’ll never understand why Mark isn’t singing the backing “ahhhh” parts during this. Would make it better to play live surely.
Agreed. It would make the song sound more genuine. Come To Life or Open Your Eyes would not sound the same without the Mark backings.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Song is a 5.5-6/10 for me. I will say this - one of my favorite AB choruses out of their more mainstream, radio tracks they've done in a long time. It's high energy and what a radio single should represent.

Here's my issue: this song is supposed to be the lead single, right? P&K is the first release, but this will be the radio track. Why not feature a song with some massive Mark solo as that lead single? AB's brand, to me, is soaring arena rock vocals and blistering, refined guitar work with two of the best soloists in the game today. To me, this song just feels "off brand" for a radio song. Not saying every song they ever release NEEDS to have a solo, but I think the radio ones probably should, tbh.

The comment I earlier was that I'm really going to enjoy this song for a short amount of time, and I think it's a good potential concert opener. But I don't think it has staying power, won't be listening to it much outside of this album cycle.

Edit: yes, the above is nitpicking, after 15 years of fandom I think I can do that every now and again ;) I do enjoy the song, like I said I think it's catchy. Doesn't shrink my excitement for the album at all, just didn't help build it more.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Are my ears broken? Not only do I really like the song, I could hear a fair amount of backing vox from Mark and thought Myles sounded good. I can't say anyone's opinion is wrong but it's frustrating when it feels like I'm listening to a completely different song that everyone else.

tl;dr - Great lead single, best since ATP in my opinion. Not AS good, but best SINCE.

MylesKennedy69
Brand New Start

Post by MylesKennedy69 »

I'm pretty sure it's double Myles.

Anyone else now worried about the mixing on the album? Silver Tongue isn't clean at all - sounds pretty muddy with the whole wall of song making an unwanted comeback.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

MylesKennedy69 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:04 pm Anyone else now worried about the mixing on the album? Silver Tongue isn't clean at all - sounds pretty muddy with the whole wall of song making an unwanted comeback.
Yeah, even the first couple of seconds with guitar only, there's something wrong with it already and the drums haven't even played a note yet, as if there was too much compression on it or not enough gain.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Dolo wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:53 am. It will fly on the radio but is it what AB has become? A radio friendly band with nothing original to offer? That's what this song is all about.
For me it’s less about originality or radio friendly.

I just want a solid song. For me a catchy song counts for a lot.

Haven’t heard the song yet though.

I thought Heroes by Shinedown was a great song so if it has similar vibes to that maybe I would like it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

cheesedip1 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:02 pmI thought Heroes by Shinedown was a great song so if it has similar vibes to that maybe I would like it.
Completely different song though :D particularly the drums, so completely different vibe. Just the chords progression and choice of notes over it. And the simplicity of it all.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

I'm still waiting for midnight because I'm too old and lazy to mess around signing up to a VPN :lol

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

Very much hoping for a music video given its the radio single.
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

i did NOT see / hear that chorus coming

whoa

i can hear bits of odr, blackbird (coming home?), and fortress (bleed it try and the uninvited)

coincidentally or not those are my three favorite ab records

this 'not listening to anything until release date' thing is going great :lol

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

First reaction. I quite like it actually. I wish that first guitar riff came back and the chorus could be more.... I don't know.... immediate.

Other than that, it's pretty cool and there is a fair amount of complexity being sneaked past the listener.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Timotheus wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:49 pm
Aside from the chorus (and the main riff), I don't find the song to be very catchy as a whole. I don't find the verses memorable, and there's really not much tying everything together, besides the chords of the main riff recurring in the chorus. I hope it will do well on the radio.
I'm going to correct myself. I hear some of the main riff in the second part of the verse as well. Wish it had been a bit more prominent in those parts, but oh well...
disagree

i've only listened to it once and that ascending chorus melody is already stuck in my head

edit: since it's essentially the lead single, it's my favorite lead single from them since isolation (and beats the last couple handily)

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Dang man. Where is Mark in these vocals? That chorus and pre-chorus are begging for Mark on the harmonies.

Also, side note. Mark's distortion sound has been heading towards a more fuzz-based sound for a while now. This is almost totally a fuzz tone now.

Love the low-octave chorus before the final loud one too. Myles sounds so good in that register.

EDIT: Yeah man. I like this shit. It's a simple song but it's done well. Looking forward to the album.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

song absolutely rips imo

going to make for a cool opener

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

I think I like this track very much.
As I am travelling through Asia at the moment impossible for my to have a final judgement, as I always form that by sound through speakers and not earphones.
But to be honest I think I can hear a sound that would have made TLH a so much better album.
Very happy with the 2 tracks so far.
Positively surprised after the last 2 album-disappointments. For me this could become the comeback-album of my fav band !
Just beceause in some kind of way the melody and easy flow in the songs seems to have returned in the songwriting.
Hope that will come true for the complete album.
Fingers crossed.