Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by Timotheus »

I saw some comments regarding the chorus not being memorable or catchy. I listened to the song 3 times yesterday, and had the chorus stuck in my head until an hour ago, when I listened to the song again. It's no catchy chorus like Isolation, but I think it's one of the best choruses they've done in a very long time. Looking at the "epic" album closers they've used over the last albums, I prefer this chorus over The Last Hero, Dying Light and even Fortress (which is a top 5 Alter Bridge song for me).

There are some cool bass moments throughout the song. I just listened to the song in my car, and it's nice to hear that the bass has a nicely balanced place in the mix as well.

Still really impressed with the song :bow
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

The chorus of this new song is definitely better than the chorus of Last Hero song or Dying Light.

I’m glad they tried something different with this song. They took a risk.

I still think the song could be better at parts if they added double time drums or faster drumming.

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

So have we heard about bonus track yet for this album? We know they recorded 12 songs so might be 2 bonus tracks.

Also please someone correct me if I’m wrong, but did WTS have bonus track(s)?

And last thing : I love the new song. Really what I was looking to hear from AB for this album. However listening to broken wings, in loving memory right now, I’m hoping we get a kind of song like those in the new album. Sth really putting emotions in the center, and that can breath a little and dare I say : that is not « bombastic ». Last 2 albums didn’t have a song like that for me, as even the « ballad » are loud lol

jcrowe
Brand New Start

Post by jcrowe »

Since AB became AB I've always complained about the songs that were selected as a first single.(same for Tremonti) I've felt they tried to pick the one that would get the most terrestrial radio play when they could've picked something bold that would've resonated with a more niche crowd on say.. Octane.. and had more traction.

Will Pawns and Kings achieve that? We will see. But it hits all the right spots for me!

Either way I applaud the band for finally going bold with their selection of a first single. 👏

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

DarkKnight12 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:18 pm So have we heard about bonus track yet for this album? We know they recorded 12 songs so might be 2 bonus tracks.

And last thing : I love the new song. Really what I was looking to hear from AB for this album. However listening to broken wings, in loving memory right now, I’m hoping we get a kind of song like those in the new album. Sth really putting emotions in the center, and that can breath a little and dare I say : that is not « bombastic ». Last 2 albums didn’t have a song like that for me, as even the « ballad » are loud lol
A friend of mine made a similar comment yesterday when I sent him the new track. His issue with AB is the lack of lighter, more personal and emotional, songs. Not just as preference, but he thinks Myles voice sounds better in that style.

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

AB4Lyfe wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:24 pm
DarkKnight12 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:18 pm So have we heard about bonus track yet for this album? We know they recorded 12 songs so might be 2 bonus tracks.

A friend of mine made a similar comment yesterday when I sent him the new track. His issue with AB is the lack of lighter, more personal and emotional, songs. Not just as preference, but he thinks Myles voice sounds better in that style.
Interesting. I just wish we would get one song in this record that is more personal, emotive and generally less « produce » if that means anything. Then they can go loud and heavy af I’m all for it!

alterchris
TABN.com Citizen

Post by alterchris »

joshuabeau wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:09 am Yeah, saying it’s below average is probably the worst take I’ve seen yet.
Obligatory 'opinions are like assholes'...

Like a previous poster said it's not going to please everyone.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

During the chorus just have Mark do the harmonies or don’t do them at all.

The dual Myles voices during the chorus of PAK is distracting.

——Also correct me if I’m wrong but it seems like AB nowadays only does distortion in their songs now.

I like some songs where it’s clean guitar during the verse and then distortion during the chorus.
Last edited by cheesedip1 on Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

I haven't been on this forum in YEARS. I have to be honest, I'm shocked by the lack of support everyone gives Walk the Sky. I thought that was one of the better albums AB has done... TLH was just a complete and utter mess of an album. There are some strong points on TLH, but man it missed more often than not. WTS was a WAY better album with some really cool creative approaches. It also delivered one of the best Bonus Tracks AB has done to-date with Last Rites. Pay No Mind is still one of my all-time favorite AB songs. The Carpenter vibes it brings is just fantastic.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Not a bad album but Indotrication, Forevee falling, last rites, and clear horizon were weak. Dying Light was just okay.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

I've only listened to it twice—once on speakers and once with headphones—and a day later I still have the chorus in my head.

That's one thing AB consistently nails: they write these long epics with many parts stacked together, taking you on a journey approaching musical theater, yet the choruses shine right through the complexity and are totally memorable.

nildiven
Bought The CDs

Post by nildiven »

cheesedip1 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:59 pm Not a bad album but Indotrication, Forevee falling, last rites, and clear horizon were weak. Dying Light was just okay.
Crazy how different opinions can be of the same music. For me, Forever Falling was one of the few standouts on the album

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Marshall wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:54 am It's difficult to get airplay with the lenght of this song and this song would not be my choice for a first single... I hope the rest of the album will do it for me.

I had the same issue with "If Not For You" by Tremonti.
In other words, "I hope the whole album will be full of watered down, radio friendly stuff just like the rest of today's modern rock scene does cause 6:16 is too long for a song'?

You guys should check out some classical music or progressive metal if you think that 6-minute track is long.
Last edited by Dolo on Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

cheesedip1 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:59 pm Not a bad album but Indotrication, Forevee falling, last rites, and clear horizon were weak. Dying Light was just okay.
Indoctrination was one of the better songs on the album. Wild. That song is a broody and mean as it is beautiful. Not every song is an up-beat speed machine... But I think everyone has their own flavor of AB they like.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

It's not meant for the radio, so listening to it with that perspective doesn't really make sense to me.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Marshall wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:54 am It's difficult to get airplay with the lenght of this song and this song would not be my choice for a first single... I hope the rest of the album will do it for me.

I got to reiterate this point. AB have tried to get back into landing a Top 5 single on Active Rock in the last few albums and they did all they could, and it just wasn't showing the results and it's not due to quality of song. Look at the tripe you hear on Octane at times. A band like Shinedown can release whatever song they want, songs I like, songs I don't like, and it ends up being a #1 top-charting single on Rock radio, no matter what.

AB just doesn't have that pull and I think radio has a personal vendetta against them for whatever reasons. Frankly, I'm fine with them releasing whatever the heck they want as long as they don't blow the best song of the album already prior to the album release.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

anguyen92 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:15 pm

AB just doesn't have that pull and I think radio has a personal vendetta against them for whatever reasons.
"They're Creed, with a new singer." There ya go.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

AB4Lyfe wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:19 pm
anguyen92 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:15 pm

AB just doesn't have that pull and I think radio has a personal vendetta against them for whatever reasons.
"They're Creed, with a new singer." There ya go.
Radio DJs could be petty that way and once they have that kind of mindset, there would be no convincing them otherwise, no matter how much, I, you, we, Tim, AB, can convince otherwise.

There are still people out there, that will think the "Creed, with a different singer," mindset. Even though, the band has been around for almost 20 years.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Well it's also hard to categorize AB at times. Are they rock? Hard rock? Metal? Progressive rock? Progressive metal?

I agree radio DJs can be a bit petty. However I will say for some, they can't figure out if AB would appeal to their base because they don't necessarily fit into one specific genre of music. You could play them In Loving Memory, Island of Fools, and Blackbird and they'd think it is 3 separate bands.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ Then they should look at a band like A7X, and approach the promotion of AB in a similar manner.