Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

AB4Lyfe wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:08 pm It’ll play well to Reaction channels. Which in this age is as good as radio.
But will Lost In Vegas react to it though? :lol

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:11 pm
AB4Lyfe wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:08 pm It’ll play well to Reaction channels. Which in this age is as good as radio.
But will Lost In Vegas react to it though? :lol
The Alter Bridge team has been in contact with them in the past - I bet they tap into that again.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Im not feeling this. Very concerned. Myles' second album was good but didnt get a ton of play. Slash and Tremonti both put out albums I dont care for. This isnt a good start for me.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Finally getting around to reading all the reactions here now that it's out, and while it's not truly 100% positive, it's pretty damn close. Really nice to see everyone so positive and united for a change here - people will always have different opinions on music and that's fine, but the last two albums were just really divisive, for better or worse. I can't remember such a big, favorable vibe like this since the Fortress days. Count me in with the people who are thrilled with what we just heard - I was grinning ear to ear the whole time on my first listen. :peace

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

This is actually a very interesting point.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

What I like:
.the instrumental stuff
.vocal chorus melody
What i dislike:
.lyrics. i don't like political lyrics. and besides the content of the lyrics i don't think they are good anyways outside of a few lines.
.melody outside of chorus. it's not strong.

the band is kinda showing their age to me. myles especially with his lyrics and strained voice. it's just an okay song. i just compare their newer content agains their older music. you could sing along to it, the lyrics weren't ambiguous political nonsense, and the music had more character because it was simpler. It had more focus on melody instead of focusing on complexity. I know every word to watch over you and sing along with it. This? I'll rock my head a bit with the guitars but I feel nothing else towards the song. Almost indifferent. I evoked no emotion from pawns & kings. well, probably maybe distaste.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

AB23 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:45 pm
This is actually a very interesting point.
I’m capable on rare occasions.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

I listened to the song once and I'll leave it at that until the release. It's curious that they'd release the last song of the album first. Although AB has never done a real concept album, their last couple have had sort of a theme throughout with the final song kind of capping off the album, so this gives me a idea of how hits record might trend.

The length of the song and its complexity make it pretty hard to be familiar with it after one listen. Like Monty said, nothing really sticks right away, and for me it's because there's a lot there to take in, other than it overall sounds sort of Fortressy to me. I'm sure that more listens will bring more context and familiarity to the song as a whole, but I'll save that for October.

This thing I know, it sure is good to have AB back in action. :rockon
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

Man, it's a joy to see this fan base so excited for this song, album and band of course. Quite jealous.

The song... I never expected a song like this to be released for the first single. Good decision!
What a great song, I'm loving it. Probably one of the best lead singles, if not the best.

I'm not a fan of the production,though. Loud and exhausting.
But let's see the rest of the album, I'm curious.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

The little guitar parts in the bridge at 3:27/3:38 reminds me so much of the part at 3:23 in Slayer's Angel of Death for some reason :lol

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

The vocal melody in the bridge is just so Symphony of Agony…

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

Man.. if you're complaining about the production on this song then I think there is no hope for you. It is a MILLION TIMES better compared to TLH when listening with headphones and on large speakers. I honestly didn't have an issue with WTS production. I thought it was fine. TLH was just.... a mess. This sounds about on-par with Fortress. And Fortress was a banger of an album.

alterchris
TABN.com Citizen

Post by alterchris »

The new single is below average in my opinion. It sounds like something we'd get on a B-side years ago. I'm still optimistic and looking forward to listening to the rest of the album.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

gbruin wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:49 amIt's curious that they'd release the last song of the album first.
"The last shall be first" - Myles Kennedy :lol

Mr.Vlado
Bought The CDs

Post by Mr.Vlado »

alterchris wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:18 am The new single is below average in my opinion. It sounds like something we'd get on a B-side years ago. I'm still optimistic and looking forward to listening to the rest of the album.
That's really funny to see opinions like that (which are totally legit, of course). Tastes are just so different, you can never please everyone. Pawns & Kings is for me as far from a b-side as it could be, even after the hype right now I'm sure I will like that song more than most of the songs on Blackbird or Fortress even though I love these albums.
Complex, melodic, 2 solos, nice chorus... for me this song has absolutely everything I wish for in an epic AB track.

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

Yeah, saying it’s below average is probably the worst take I’ve seen yet.

Marshall
White Knuckled

Post by Marshall »

Following release formats / limited editions this time:

- CD Digisleeve

- 1 LP Gatefold BLACK Vinyl

- 1 LP Gatefold INKSPOT BLACK/GOLD Vinyl w/Slipmat and Record Butler (Napalm mail order only, limited to 500 worldwide)

- 1 LP Gatefold MARBLED WHITE/CRYSTAL CLEAR Vinyl (Napalm mail order only, limited to 400 worldwide)

- 1 LP Gatefold MARBLED ORANGE/BLACK Vinyl (Band Shop only)

- 1 LP Gatefold MARBLED WHITE/BLACK Vinyl (Band Shop only)

- 1 LP Gatefold CRYSTAL CLEAR Vinyl (Band Shop only, limited to 300 only)

- 1 LP Gatefold SILVER Vinyl (hmv Exclusive)

- 1 LP Gatefold GLOW IN THE DARK Vinyl (amazon.de Exclusive)

- 1 LP Gatefold SUN YELLOW Vinyl (Indie Exclusive)

- Deluxe Box Set w/ CD Digisleeve, Pendant, Tote Bag, Guitar Pick tin (Napalm mail order only, limited to 700 worldwide)

- Music Cassette CLEAR TRANSPARENT (Napalm mail order only, limited to 150 worldwide)

- Digital Album
Last edited by Marshall on Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:11 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Pretty shocked at the mixed reaction here to be honest. Personally I thought I was not gonna enjoy any new AB anymore after being let down by TLH and WTS but this single is very solid at the very least. Hopefully the rest of the album is equally as solid.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Even if people dislike the song, I hope they can appreciate the intention behind releasing a song like this first, as a lead single. It's more bold than they've been in the past.

Marshall
White Knuckled

Post by Marshall »

It's difficult to get airplay with the lenght of this song and this song would not be my choice for a first single... I hope the rest of the album will do it for me.

I had the same issue with "If Not For You" by Tremonti.