Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by cheesedip1 »

2nd listen. Still not sure what to think.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Regarding the production. It's clearly produced by Elvis, and he's got some habbits that I'm not a fan of. Having said that, I think this is a big step up from WTS and TLH especially. Really happy about that!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

hackingislife
TABN.com Citizen

Post by hackingislife »

pokefan_4 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:43 pm Cool that on the cover of the album they have the band born date on the left side of the bridge and the release date of the album on the right side of the bridge. I hope it doesn't signal THE END.. but just a path to where they are now.

Still trying to find the blackbird in the album cover art.... nothing yet.
Think I found what looks like Blackbird?

EDIT: Also, seems intentional since none of the others have that indent/symbol on them.
Last edited by hackingislife on Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Post by Devil Inside You »

I like how its 10 tracks long. I really hope there's no filler on this one. I LOVE the album cover. Might be my favorite in their career.

As for the actual song, its great. These guys are such a great lineup. Its pretty crazy how much the quality fluctuates for Myles with me. Nothing on 4 even comes close to this

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

hackingislife wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:53 pm
pokefan_4 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:43 pm Cool that on the cover of the album they have the band born date on the left side of the bridge and the release date of the album on the right side of the bridge. I hope it doesn't signal THE END.. but just a path to where they are now.

Still trying to find the blackbird in the album cover art.... nothing yet.
Think I found what looks like Blackbird?

EDIT: Also, seems intentional since none of the others have that indent/symbol on them.

That's absolutely it. Nice eye! I was looking in all of the smoke!

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

Only listened once but I love the song! Lots to pick apart when I relisten to it again and again after work. I'm digging the chorus and the lyrical theme.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Timotheus wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:52 pm he's got some habbits that I'm not a fan of.
Agreed.

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

Interesting tidbit on a lyric from someone on Reddit:

"I also really enjoyed the inclusion of the lyric "Don't let the bastards grind you down" which is the mock Latin phrase "Nolite te Bastardes Carborundorum" from Margaret Atwoods novel, A Handmaid's Tale. Very timely.'

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

I was hoping for faster or double time drums more often in the song.

3rd listen and still not sure what to think. Will need more listens. That’s probably because the song has lots of different aspects to it.
Last edited by cheesedip1 on Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

I quite like the look of that concentric yellow/black vinyl on Napalm's site. But someone help me out here... what is a record butler? 😂

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

abw1987 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:45 pm I quite like the look of that concentric yellow/black vinyl on Napalm's site. But someone help me out here... what is a record butler? 😂
It's like a little sponge thing you can use to pull the record out of the sleeve. To keep finger prints off of it. It's really not necessary if you know how to handle records :rockon

BMus1
Brand New Start

Post by BMus1 »

Dang I don’t even know what to say. AB were one of my favorite bands for years but TLH and WTS never really grabbed me and I fell out of love with them. But wow, this song is what I’ve been waiting for. It sounds like what they attempted with songs like The Last Hero and Dying Light but never got 100% there. Everything about this song feels in the right place. If this is the bar for this album, it’ll easily be their best since Fortress.

Also this sounds better mixed than the last two even just from YouTube. It feels like they finally got everything right with this one.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

4th listen and I generally think it’s a good song. A little different than what we usually get from AB

Which is nice of course.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

cheesedip1 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:56 pm 4th listen and I generally think it’s a good song. A little different than what we usually get from AB

Which is nice of course.
Agreed. It's a welcome change of pace from them - ESPECIALLY as a lead single. Think this will play well with the base - hoping to see it widespread to reaction channels for coverage too; Lost in Vegas, Alex Hefner, etc.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

MidnightToker wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:27 pm Interesting tidbit on a lyric from someone on Reddit:

"I also really enjoyed the inclusion of the lyric "Don't let the bastards grind you down" which is the mock Latin phrase "Nolite te Bastardes Carborundorum" from Margaret Atwoods novel, A Handmaid's Tale. Very timely.'
Hmm, not sure, people have been saying that (or a variation) for a long time. Anything’s possible though.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

pokefan_4 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:54 pm
abw1987 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:45 pm I quite like the look of that concentric yellow/black vinyl on Napalm's site. But someone help me out here... what is a record butler? 😂
It's like a little sponge thing you can use to pull the record out of the sleeve. To keep finger prints off of it. It's really not necessary if you know how to handle records :rockon
Ah, that makes sense. Handling records without getting fingerprints on them is always kind of a pain in the ass, so I might actually use that. The name cracks me up – sounds like something out of a Strange Planet comic.

Not sure I'd need the included slipmat though, so I almost wish they were selling a cheaper bundle with just the record itself, but it's a cool memento if nothing else.

MylesKennedy69
Brand New Start

Post by MylesKennedy69 »

Hey, as the new album cycle is coming around, I thought I'd share a community discord which was made during the leadup to Walk The Sky being released. It hasn't seen much action the past few years but I thought I'd try and get it going since there's new material.

For those who don't know, Discord is a community based instant messaging and audio/video call platform. It is different to TheAlterBridgeNation as it allows more instantaneous messaging and the aforementioned audio/video calls.

Everybody is welcome, the link is below if you'd like to give it a try.
https://discord.gg/yrWGhyj7R3

Apologies if this breaks any rules.
Last edited by MylesKennedy69 on Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

MylesKennedy69 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:29 pm Hey, as the new album cycle is coming around, I thought I'd share a community discord which was made during the leadup to Walk The Sky being released. It hasn't seen much action the past few years but I thought I'd try and get it going since there's new material.

For those who don't know, Discord is a community based instant messaging and audio/video call platform. It is different to TheAlterBridgeNation as it allows more instantaneous messaging and the aforementioned audio/video calls.

Everybody is welcome, the link is below if you'd like to give it a try.
https://discord.gg/zYpYZ5TeS

Apologies if this breaks any rules.
It says the invite is invalid or do not have permission to join

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: I'll settle for olive drab or gray!

Post by zazthespaz »

As excited as I am for this new album, is it too much to ask for a non-black shirt? :lol Practically all my AB shirts are black, I'd love to support the band without having to wear black all the time!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: I'll settle for olive drab or gray!

Post by anguyen92 »

zazthespaz wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:46 pm As excited as I am for this new album, is it too much to ask for a non-black shirt? :lol Practically all my AB shirts are black, I'd love to support the band without having to wear black all the time!
That's basically what my wardrobe has been downgraded to. Mainly AB, Tremonti, or Myles black t-shirts.