Unpopular Opinions - Alter Bridge Edition

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
maximzub
On The Rail

Unpopular Opinions - Alter Bridge Edition

Post by maximzub »

Just thought that TABN should have a thread like this. I'll start.

Break Me Down has an awesome chorus.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: Unpopular Opinions - Alter Bridge Edition

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Myles needs to sing more high notes and low notes
Mark needs to sing more in general
Myles needs to do more solos
Mark should write longer solos and more solos in the vein of Bleed It Dry
Brian should get some bass solos
Flip should get some drum solos
They should try working with a different producer
They should write longer songs that are around 6-9 mins more often like 2-3 long songs per record
They should film more "Making Of/BTS studio videos" for records
They should film more guitar instructional videos/The Sound & The Story vids like they did for Fortress
They should create and sell Producer Packs like Periphery did where we have access to the individual tracks of vocals guitars drums bass etc

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:12 pm Myles needs to sing more high notes and low notes
They should write longer songs that are around 6-9 mins more often like 2-3 long songs per record
They should film more guitar instructional videos/The Sound & The Story vids like they did for Fortress
They should create and sell Producer Packs like Periphery did where we have access to the individual tracks of vocals guitars drums bass etc
:yeahthat All of it!

I'd also like to see a guest appearance or on the next album... A guest guitarist like Eric Gales or maybe Clint Lowery! Bring in Lzzy Hale or Taylor Momsen to duet with Myles... Or Mark! Mark sings lead on a track and duets with Lzzy?! :eek

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:12 pm Myles needs to sing more high notes and low notes
In what universe are most of those unpopular ;) :lol

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Mark is not that good of a singer and should stop singing on AB records.
There is nothing progressive about their music.
They don't challenge themselves anymore since Fortress.
They're creatively done and are just just going through the motions like 99% of the other bands who are as old as them.
There's a valid reason they never got that big in the USA.
Last edited by chtimixeur on Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

chtimixeur wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:35 am Mark is not that good of singer and should stop singing on AB records.
There is nothing progressive about their music.
They don't challenge themselves anymore since Fortress.
They're creatively done and are just just going through the motions like 99% of the other bands who are as old as them.
There's a valid reason they never got that big in the USA.
Wow, nailed it.
Although, I'd leave Mark in as a backing vocalist. I love some of their harmonies on ODR and I wish they would do more of this. Rather them two harmonizing with each other than Myles doing overdubs.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I'd prefer not having an Alter Bridge album anytime soon. The last two AB records and all the recent side projects have been less good than what they're capable of.

The next AB album should be released because they have a collection of songs they really want us to hear, with lyrics and stories that mean something significant to them. Not because it's AB time, and they need a quick album so they can tour. I don't care if that takes another 5 years.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

@Timotheus: I 100% agree with you.
I think they could actually release a great album if they waited until 2023 or 2024, but that is not how the touring industry works, and they need that new album to please promoters.
This 3 year cycle has shown its limits since 2013, and with all their projects, they've released more and more just OK music instead of great music.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: may not be an U/O but I'm on a roll.

Post by zazthespaz »

Timotheus wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:18 am I'd prefer not having an Alter Bridge album anytime soon. The last two AB records and all the recent side projects have been less good than what they're capable of.

The next AB album should be released because they have a collection of songs they really want us to hear, with lyrics and stories that mean something significant to them. Not because it's AB time, and they need a quick album so they can tour. I don't care if that takes another 5 years.
I hate to say it but I agree. I feel like they've settled into a routine and are comfortable with it or afraid to break the cycle. I love AB and likely always will, but the past few albums just don't hold their excitement as long as they used to on older albums. That being said, after the past two years and counting, maybe they'll have some new feelings collectively they can put into music to give it a little more soul.

I personally miss the riffs, I love the guitar riffs on ODR and WK and would love to see stuff like that come back.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

chtimixeur wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:35 am There's a valid reason they never got that big in the USA.
So we Europeans are actually musical plebs in comparison to the USA? :D

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

They should make music every year and only let me listen to it.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Possibly unpopular opinion - I don’t really want them to write more songs in the 6+ minute range. I’d rather they write more songs with acoustic structures like Watch Over You.

When you watch the Blackbird documentary, that song comes across as something Elvis made them write so the album had a radio friendly ballad, but it’s still one of their best songs for me. I wish they were more interested in writing songs like that today.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

Walk the Sky is their worst album, so please stop that idea of making songs separately :( even tho that album has songs that I completely love like 'Pay No Mind' and 'Dying Light', actually I think 'One Life' it's a beautiful intro song. But I think it has many terrible songs, 'In The Deep' being the worst of all I think.

Edit: You know what, I listened to 'In the Deep' song again and even tho I still think It's my least favorite, the fact that make it bad to me it's the chorus, the rest of the song it's actually pretty good, but I personally think that the chrorus it's terrible.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

For me, I still think they have a lot to offer and can still do things to wow people in unexpected ways. However, in order for them to get the most bang is for them to really commit to the writing 100% and can't have other various projects get in the way of that (and I like their various projects). If they feel like they need to half-ass a song (and their half-ass songs are still pretty darn good in comparison to various tripe you would hear on Octane), I rather prefer for them to not do it and take the time they need to realize the visions they really want in a song without needing to fill required niches.

If they want to release an album, I want it be an album that they are proud of making, but look where we are at now. Myles is touring with Slash and Mark is getting ready to do a tour opening for Daughtry. Does it look like they are in the mood to be uber-ampted to make an AB album as of right now?

As this point, they don't necessarily need to release an album to tour this year. 2022 is the 15th anniversary of Blackbird. That can be a good enough marketing point to sell tickets for shows and maybe break out some songs from it that they haven't played in forever. You can make the case as well for 2023 and 2024. 2023, 10 years of Fortress. 2024, 20 years as a band and ODR. You can fill the marketing for shows that easily in those years. If they need to tour a new album, I rather it be an album that they are proud of making and it gets its due.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

So apparently this is an unpopular opinion, but I thought Walk The Sky was an incredible album (as was The Last Hero), and there's nothing "filler" or "just okay" about either of those albums. I can't think of a single song I skip on either album.

Also unpopular - I'd love to see them get more political like they did with TLH. Go deep down the rabbit hole. Really go after the anti-vaxxers the way they did with climate change deniers on Writing on the Wall.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

TenaciousBe wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:35 pm So apparently this is an unpopular opinion, but I thought Walk The Sky was an incredible album (as was The Last Hero), and there's nothing "filler" or "just okay" about either of those albums. I can't think of a single song I skip on either album.

Also unpopular - I'd love to see them get more political like they did with TLH. Go deep down the rabbit hole. Really go after the anti-vaxxers the way they did with climate change deniers on Writing on the Wall.
Nah, art shouldn't be about going after people.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

TenaciousBe wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:35 pm Also unpopular - I'd love to see them get more political like they did with TLH. Go deep down the rabbit hole. Really go after the anti-vaxxers the way they did with climate change deniers on Writing on the Wall.
That would hurt my feelings.
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Dan Dando wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:00 pm
TenaciousBe wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:35 pm So apparently this is an unpopular opinion, but I thought Walk The Sky was an incredible album (as was The Last Hero), and there's nothing "filler" or "just okay" about either of those albums. I can't think of a single song I skip on either album.

Art should go after people if the person who's making the art feels personally obligated to do. That's literally what art is for. Expression.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Timotheus wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:25 pm

Art should go after people if the person who's making the art feels personally obligated to do. That's literally what art is for. Expression.
Exactly! That's the great part about having such a broad platform, you can use it to put good positive vibes into the world (Rise Today, Open Your Eyes, Life Must Go On, etc), or to impart wisdom and education (Writing on the Wall, Waters Rising, Watch Your Words). They've always toed this line, but Writing on the Wall was possibly the first time they really overtly addressed a specific world calamity, and I'd love to see more of it.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

TenaciousBe wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:26 pm
Timotheus wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:25 pm

Exactly! That's the great part about having such a broad platform, you can use it to put good positive vibes into the world (Rise Today, Open Your Eyes, Life Must Go On, etc), or to impart wisdom and education (Writing on the Wall, Waters Rising, Watch Your Words). They've always toed this line, but Writing on the Wall was possibly the first time they really overtly addressed a specific world calamity, and I'd love to see more of it.
So would going after anti-vaxxers fall into the wisdom/education category in your opinion?