Do you prefer Creed or Alter Bridge?

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
jailman
Bought The CDs

Do you prefer Creed or Alter Bridge?

Post by jailman »

The bands share 3 members. So begs the question:

Do you prefer to listen to Creed or Alter Bridge?

How bout live, which would you prefer to see live in concert?

And why?

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: Do you prefer Creed or Alter Bridge?

Post by anguyen92 »

I mean, obviously, I would prefer AB. They just make music that's been meaningful to where I'm going to in life for the last 12.5 years. Creed hasn't done that, but, that's not fair for me to think that (but that's how I personally think), given that in 12.5 years that I've heard the names, Mark Tremonti, Brian Marshall, Scott Phillips, Creed only had one album released. Sure, I could listen back to their first three albums, but I don't think I would feel the same way like I would with an AB album.

I don't know if it's safe to assume the following, but I think the same would be said when people that's been around in the late 90s when Creed was in their prime. I think those fans would be happy that Mark, Flip, and Brian are still making great music with Myles in AB, but it wouldn't be as impactful to them in comparison to listening to a Creed album (either then or in the now) and how that makes them feel.

As for the concerts front, I don't think I would enjoy a Creed concert the way I would enjoy an AB concert. I'm sure I would still like it, but I would like it as much as seeing a band that's playing at an amphitheater, but I have different and higher expectations when seeing an AB show. Granted, in the off-shoot chance that Creed does reunite to do a summer tour and play in Orange County as oppose to LA and they get to play at FivePoint Amphitheater where all the other big Active Rock bands were to play this summer that I had plans in going (Disturbed, Staind, Breaking Benjamin, Nickelback, etc.), I would still go to see Creed. Then again, I probably would wait until Groupon has a deal for a cheap seat in the far back 300 sections for around $25-40.

Compared that to AB where I'm willing to pay for a standard floor GA seat for around $40-50 (with the exception of the LA show where I paid $70.00 for GA Pit only) no questions and wait in line for like three hours before the doors open and still ended up getting a 2nd or 3rd row up close after the Meet and Greet guys get in first. Something about the songs, the comradery of meeting fans that's traveled from all parts of the world to see these guys and people that have done it for so many show in a tour leg, the enthusiasm of the band themselves, etc. Of course, what I stated is nothing uncommon if people say that about any band they are a fan of, but for me, I wouldn't have traveled up the West Coast to catch four shows for any other band except Alter Bridge. Maybe, I may want to travel north again for a Myles solo show. Who knows, but I wouldn't do that for a Creed tour or a Slash tour or any other band in the world. I cannot describe it in coherent detail, but there's something out that where an Alter Bridge show makes me want to travel outside of Southern California and no other band has that aura for me.

Troops4Tremonti
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Troops4Tremonti »

jailman wrote:The bands share 3 members. So begs the question:

And why?
Get your tomatoes ready; Creed by a million.

This is an AB forum, so the majority will say AB - but Creed still has more monthly listeners on Spotify than AB.. wait... just checked, yeah, Creed at 3.1 million and AB at 1.6. So that answers your question in pretty short order. That blows my mind too because Creed has done almost nothing in 8 years except release a compilation album and a Human Clay vinyl (both of which got almost no marketing) all the while Mark acting embarrassed and uncomfortable about the most melodic rock band in music history when Creed is brought up.

Lyrically, Creed still wins - contemplation of God and eternity - idk how, lyrically, it gets more powerful than that. Although, I was pleasantly surprised to find the same lyrical theme in Dying Light.

Melodically, it's as if some small squirrelly guy on the street picked a fight with Brock Lesnar - Creed out-melodies AB without question.

This goes without saying (I think) but Creed has always been way more melody-focused and AB more dynamic-focused. Although one could argue that Creed is more dynamic than AB, they're definitely not more technical. But, then again, Joe Satriana and Steve Vai are technical - some people might binge their discographies but I certainly don't.

The irony is that Mark, to this day probably, still touts the unparalleled importance of good melody and then gets into cold sweats when asked about Creed. I know users on here can openly and freely dump on Stapp, blame world hunger on him, whatever. But Stapp, from where I sit, has been a bigger man than Mark, Brian, or Flip combined in the last 5 years - none of them had to work through a bi-polar disorder. Let's call it even.

I know it's a long post for a simple question, but I've grown tired and weary of mediocre music from Mark in the last mmmm 7 years. I don't worship Fortress as my personal savior like some, it was solid, but you could even say the last 10 years. In the last 10 years, AB has been average-to-good at times. Creed has always been great-to-legendary with MAYBE the exception of Full Circle, although I still listen to that album and it's, at worst, a good album.

Again, I'm on an AB forum - so cast your vegetables at me, I get it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Creed was the more popular band and probably still is. I don’t think that’s a question. But if you’re asking who I prefer, it’s easily Alter Bridge. This is coming from someone who also owns all the Creed albums/has seen them live/has some merch. I don’t dislike Creed by any means, but I think Alter Bridge’s music is just better.

I don’t really compare Myles and Stapp too much because they have totally different voices that fit different genres. 97-01 Stapp was a beast, but he’s lost a lot over the years whereas Myles has comparatively kept his voice going at a high level for 20 years.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

Double post
Last edited by MaraCarr on Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

jailman wrote:The bands share 3 members. So begs the question:

And why?

Now... I listen to more Alterbridge. I am a Creed fan as well but I seem to have transitioned to AB on an almost daily basis. So my preference is AB but I still have a huge love for Creed music and always will. Their music literally saved my life.

Ive never had the privilege of watching a live Creed show so if by some miracle they reunite. I would be there. I have seen Alter Bridge Live a few times and they are incredible.

Honestly ..They are two very different bands with very different sounds. I love them both and would pay to see them both.

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

Creed...

But they are my favorite band ever, it's not fair with Alter Bridge.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Wow... so many people prefer Creed.

Alter Bridge by a country mile for me. For me, Creed didn’t have have what AB has - Myles Kennedy. His voice and his ability to play guitar at an elite level is what separates the two bands.

However, I will give credit where credit is due and say I prefer the production of Creed’s records much more to AB’s production. That clean tone for Mark’s guitar is unparalleled.

mirko.volpon
Bought The CDs

Post by mirko.volpon »

I love Creed but Alter bridge are my life :rockon

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Stapp was a decent frontman for like three years. After that, and especially after the first breakup he became this incredibly awkward person. It doesn't matter what he does: singing, posing for a picture, just standing somewhere and doing nothing... It's impossible to take him serious. Now if he was like this likeable clumsy person, that would've been one thing, but he's ridiculously arrogant, and always does the wrong things. He says hypocrite things, lies about his band mates, makes fucking sex tapes...

So whenever I'm listening to Creed, I can't help but cringe. Sure, I liked some of the songs in the past. I still kind of do. But most of it feels dishonest and fake.

So yeah, obviously I prefer Alter Bridge.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I don't know what's so cringy about Creed. You don't have to listen to music with your eyes and bother so much about the personalities of the writers. I get that tracks like Don't Stop Dancing, Higher and My Sacrifice are a little bit on the cheesier side but these guys are responsible for masterpieces such as the entirety of Human Clay which has phenomental, dark vibe, great production and flows brilliantly from start to finish. Even Blackbird, which is my favourite from AB, doesn't come even close.

I can't really say if either of them is better, they are just different. Vocal styles and songwriting differ. Creed had much more of this pure (post) grunge energy and had great lyrical message whereas AB excels at instrumental aspect with richer guitar work and sounds heavier belonging to that 'alternative metal' label.

I don't think there should be any competition between them.
Last edited by Dolo on Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

So, being born in 93, Creed was the biggest thing in the world when I was really getting into music. I heard them all the time.

However, when I was in middle school, it wasn't until Blackbird that I really found AB. I was in love with that album, and still am!
I have lived more life with AB than I ever have with Creed, if that makes sense.

AB has put out so much powerful music throughout the most important years of my life, so much so, that I have the blackbird tattoo on my left arm. I love AB, they mean more to me than I can really stress.

Creed is a great band, I still listen to them, but not as much as I used to. I think with the band being dormant, and more than likely dead in terms of new music, I have lost interest.

Here's an example of why AB is so important to me. Walk the Sky came out just 2 weeks after my grandmother passed away, and Godspeed was the first time I really felt happy afterwards. I was so blown away by the lyrics and their celebration of life, that I no longer felt sad, I felt really happy.

AB is special to me. Creed WAS special to me.
Thanks Andy!

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Dolo wrote:I don't know what's so cringy about Creed. You don't have to listen to music with your eyes and bothering so much about the personalities of the writers.
That's true if you casually listen to a band. If you want to follow a band around, watch their videos, see interviews, go to their shows, it's not just using your ears.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

duplicate post. :D
Last edited by MaraCarr on Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Timotheus wrote:makes fucking sex tapes...
loooooool didn't know this before. :D

I definitely prefer Alter Bridge over Creed. But this is kinda logical, I discovered AB in 2010 when ABIII came out. I fell in love pretty quickly with their music. After listening to their stuff I read somewhere that Tremonti, Scott and Brian also played in Creed, so the whole Creed discography was more like a bonus for me. I really like their music especially Human Clay very much, but they never reached AB level. For me, Creed is one of the many "dead" bands like Nirvana or the old Alice in Chains. Their music is great, but simply the fact that they don't exist anymore lowers my over all interest in them.

And yeah, the personality aspect definitely plays an important role. I love listening to interviews with the AB guys, Myles and Mark seem both so grounded and likeable. Obviously, you don't get on the front page of social media outlets or yellow press with such an attitude, but it makes their music much more authentic. What I've seen of Stapp since I discovered Creed in like 2011 are mental breakdowns and 1000 statements that he changed and stuff about god and blah. Still, I enjoyed The Space Between The Shadows.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

It's a close call for me, since both are some of my all time favourite bands.

Creed is more soulful and groovy, and Stapp's lyrics are much deeper than Myles'. Stapp is also a born frontman, whereas it's not a natural talent for Myles: Stapp has a commanding presence on stage, and as nice and funny as Myles is, he'll never have that X factor. From 1997 to 2001, Creed was untouchable, and even at their peak, I don't think AB ever reached that level of awesomeness. I mean, Stapp's voice was phenomenal, he was not cheesy yet, and the musicians were insanely tight, both on stage and in the studio. Then, there was drama, and the 2009-2012 reunion kinda ruined their perfect legacy: we discovered a band that was actually bad on stage (tempos, shot voice, lack of chemistry, etc...), and Full Circle was insanely average. I also think adding Eric Friedman to the live line-up was a big mistake: for me, that band worked WAY better as a 4-piece, and I have the same issues with the dude who played with them in 2001 or 2002.

On the other hand, we have Alter Bridge, a band that is much more impressive on a pure technical aspect. I mean, some of those epics are really pleasing for the ears, and Myles' bluesier playing is fantastic. Most of their albums are really really good, even though I think Mark and Myles rely too much on formulas, especially on their singles (structures, predictable solos, lyrical themes). Most of the songs I really don't care for are the short ones that were written for the radio, and sadly, they play a lot of those live. Also, as good as the band is, most of their albums sound bad. Thanks Elvis!
I don't think their music is as progressive as they think it is, and with AB, you kinda know what to expect each time a new album is coming. I still enjoy them a lot, but I feel they haven't reached their full potential yet. I don't think the band is challenging itself enough, and as fans, we can almost see it's all become a routine for them (every 3 years, the same circle starts all over again).

So, to sums things up, I think I'd choose 1997-2001 over AB, but meanwhile, I'd choose AB over 2009-2012 Creed.
The bottom line is both bands are awesome, and it's a shame so many fans of either band can't appreciate the other one.
It's great music by great musicians, folks!
Last edited by chtimixeur on Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

chtimixeur wrote:It's a close call for me, since both are some of my all time favourite bands.

Creed is more soulful and groovy, and Stapp's lyrics are much deeper than Myles'. Stapp is also a born frontman, whereas it's not a natural talent for Myles: Stapp has a commanding presence on stage, and as nice and funny as Myles is, he'll never have X factor. From 1997 to 2001, Creed was untouchable, and even at their peak, I don't think AB ever reached that level of awesomeness. I mean, Stapp's voice was phenomenal, he was not cheesy yet, and the musicians were insanely tight, both on stage and in the studio. Then, there was drama, and the 2009-2012 reunion kinda ruined their perfect legacy: we discovered a band that was actually bad on stage (tempos, shot voice, lack of chemistry, etc...), and Full Circle was insanely average. I also think adding Eric Friedman to the live line-up was a big mistake: for me, that band worked WAY better as a 4-piece, and I have the same issues with the dude who played with them in 2001 or 2002.

On the other hand, we have Alter Bridge, a band that is much more impressive on a pure technical aspect. I mean, some of those epics are really pleasing for the ears, and Myles' bluesier playing is fantastic. Most of their albums are really really good, even though I think Mark and Myles rely too much on formulas, especially on their singles (structures, predicatble solos, lyrical themes). Most of the songs I really don't care for are the short ones that were written for the radio, and sadly, they play a lot of those live. Also, as good as the band is, most of their albums sound bad. Thanks Elvis!
I don't think their music is as progressive as they think it is, and with AB, you kinda know what to expect each time a new album is coming. I still enjoy them a lot, but I feel they haven't reached their full potential yet. I don't think the band is challenging itself enough, and as fans, we can almost see it's all become a routine for them (every 3 years, the same circle starts all over again).

So, to sums things up, I think I'd choose 1997-2001 over AB, but meanwhile, I'd choose AB over 2009-2012 Creed.
The bottom line is both bands are awesome, and it's a shame so many fans of either band can't appreciate the other one.
It's great music by great musicians, folks!
Pretty good. I kind of agree with you in almost everything.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Yup, 1997-2002 Creed over AB any day. I even prefer MF4 to post ODR AB. MF4 was special as well. Creed were amazing till the mudslinging from critics and self doubts ruined it for them. The band was special and that kinda magic ain't easy to recreate I guess.

As to why? Its more or less what chitmixeur has already said. I prefer the simplicity yet the choice of notes and melody in Creed over the complex yet lately uninspired writing in AB. Mark has always spoken about songwriting as his favourite thing in the world, and to me Creed's first 3 albums had very cohesive songwriting. Each song to me was unique even though most of human clay was pro'ly written on dropped D or open D tunings. Stapp's vocal power was insane and again Brian was heard on the albums. His Creed bass lines are super under-appreciated. Doesn't matter who wrote what, Stapp and Tremonti together wrote songs that I love way more than the songs they've written without each other. Tremonti's riff work though not complex, created the perfect body for the songs. If tremonti says he wrote most of the meoldies for Creed , I wish he'd write those kinda melodies again. The way I see it, Creed's music might be easy to cover, but its difficult to compose that kinda stuff. Its not the number of notes, its the choice of notes that matters. The intro to One Last Breath still gives me goosebumps after all these years( yeah call it a "commercial" song and disregard it if you are a rollingstone critic with a bloated ego). Yes Mark, as a fan since 1999 , I prefer your band from the days when you were a baby over the band that you formed in your adulthood. I believe you had nothing to prove then and all of it came from a place of honesty and your personal need. Why oh why? did you have to fall prey to the trap that those jealous critics lay for you? and why did you have to set out to prove them wrong? Legions of fans that you had, they were important, not industry fuelled critical fucks. Hindsight , we wouldn't have had AB, which would have been sad, but Stapp wouldn't have had to fuck himself up cuz of the hate he handled single handedly.

Its not that I don't like AB. I still remember desperately hunting for open your eyes when I was in school back in 2004 as new music wouldn't reach us that easy back then. I was super blown away by Tremonti's new band and that Brian had made a come back into the fold. Find the real was the first song I got to hear from AB, and I was hooked, all over again. It was still saddening to think that Creed would never happen again, but I loved AB as well and hoped that Creed would reunite. Tremonti has come a long way, I just hope him and Stapp could go find some hills or a desert some day and jam together for days and write new material as friends on 2 acoustic guitars. Tremonti's current guitar skill can take Creed to a whole new level if the songs can be written the way they did back then. Again It doesn't have to be complex, just the choice of notes needs to be special again. I do not find myself listening to AB's last 3 albums at all. ODR in full, BlackBird in full , 2 songs from AB3 and Lover/waters rising from Fortress is all I like from them. I can't personally stand the direction of music on the albums post that, I find it whiney and over produced. Its too formulaic in terms of arrangements for my personal tastes. Even live, take any bootleg video of Creed's from 97-02, the performance and tone is on another level as compared to AB. The Creed Tempe 98 as a fan bootleg is one of the best Concert footages I've ever seen, that performance needs to be put out on a dvd if it were ever recorded, Creed would be resurrected (no pun intended ;) ) the day Creed starts putting out Live shows from 97-02.

Now where is Ron Ranew?
We need the Creed documentary before the world ends.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

Vaux
Isolated

Post by Vaux »

My quick answer is Creed, for many of the same reasons already listed. But I will list one more - While Mark is and always will be my favorite guitarist - his older style was my favorite. I like riffs, but where have all the power chords gone? A song like What's This Life For is so simple to play, but it was great anyways and I love that style. And when was the last time you actually saw Mark step on a distortion pedal to go from clean to dirty in an AB song? Like in Torn? I really don't know.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Post by Devil Inside You »

This is a very diplomatic thread! Great job guys! Let's keep it going. I expected a bunch of insults and "my band is better than yours" in spite of the fact that both bands have 75% of the same lineup. Regarding diplomacy I want to state my opinion while not taking away from the other band. "Why hold down one to raise another?" after all lol

Alter Bridge is arguably one of the ten best modern rock bands. Which is a funny statement considering they are approaching their 20th year. But overall Alter Bridge is just pure technicality, skill and talent. I will always be grateful to Scott Stapp and Scott Weiland for fucking up their careers because had they not done so, Myles may have never gotten the big break he so rightfully deserved. On top of that, Myles made Mark a better guitarist and I would go so far as to say Myles is the true spirit of Alter Bridge. I love Mark but had he picked some guy like Paul Mccoy, Ryan Mcombs, Brett Hestla or Brett Scallions, he would very likely still be playing either the Creed sounding music of his first four records, or pure alternative metal like his modern solo career. Myles is the key ingredient to Alter Bridge and always has been. Even with technicalities aside, he is just a natural musician. Year of the Tiger easily stands up against any album Chris Cornell has been a part of.

But as much as I love and respect Alter Bridge they just don't stand up to Creed for me. Blackbird is as good as any of the first three Creed albums but aside from that, I don't like a single album by them from beginning to end. Just more than a handful of tracks per record. One Day Remains doesn't count because its basically Creed with Myles. Even Walk the Sky, as impressive as it was is something I haven't returned to since it came out. The same applies to Tremonti solo.

Creed has a lot of bias support. I discovered the band when I was going through a horrible relationship, and was contemplating my relationship with God. On top of that, I absolutely love Grunge and Post Grunge. So the bridge between Creed and bands like Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains and Fuel basically makes them a mainstay. I love the balance between Creed's big singles and their deep cuts. However, even their biggest hits are not just simple shitty post grunge throw away tracks (Bad Girlfriend, Figured You Out). My Sacrifice, Higher and My Own Prison are all 5 minutes long or almost five minutes. I respect that greatly about Creed. Their production is better, their albums are have 10-11 songs which eliminates the filler issue I have with Alter Bridge and Tremonti. On top of that Creed basically had the same impact as Pearl Jam did for a few years before it all fell away. I love Alter Bridge, but Creed is legitimately music of the soul to me. Style over substance basically sums up Alter Bridge and Tremonti for me

Its funny. The whole 3/4ths band members can be seen in other bands like Days of the New/Tantric, STP/Scott Weiland, Godsmack/Another Animal. Apparently some frontmen are just a mess to deal with for the other normal guys lol